PDA

View Full Version : Russ Lande on 810 this morning....

KevB
04-14-2010, 11:04 AM
He runs the Sporting News draft site, which is routinely awful. His mock today has the Chiefs going with Earl Thomas at 5 and Brandon Spikes at 36. They mentioned the other 2nd rounder was a TE, but didn't say a name. That is shockingly bad.....I was speechless.

notorious
04-14-2010, 11:08 AM
JFC

KCrockaholic
04-14-2010, 11:13 AM
That would suck. I get it, Earl Thomas is versatile, but he can't play run support for crap. Spikes is a crapshoot. It's impossible to tell how he will do in the league. I'm sure better players would be available. Maybe a Terrence Cody.

Fish
04-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah... that guy sounded like a total dumbass. He was very adamant about Eric Berry being a CB, because he was a terrible tackler and essentially could only cover guys one on one.

Fish
04-14-2010, 11:15 AM
That would suck. I get it, Earl Thomas is versatile, but he can't play run support for crap. Spikes is a crapshoot. It's impossible to tell how he will do in the league. I'm sure better players would be available. Maybe a Terrence Cody.

Actually his justification for Thomas was that he played much much better run support than Berry.

KCrockaholic
04-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Actually his justification for Thomas was that he played much much better run support than Berry.

I bought the Sporting News draft mag....They are full of shit about Berry....They have Taylor Mays as their #1 Safety. And they actually talk about Mays being "smooth" in coverage.....Just sad.

Mr. Laz
04-14-2010, 11:22 AM
I bought the Sporting News draft mag....They are full of shit about Berry....They have Taylor Mays as their #1 Safety. And they actually talk about Mays being "smooth" in coverage.....Just sad.:eek:

Chiefnj2
04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Russ is off the wall, but I do appreciate the fact that he comes to his own conclusions about players and doesn't follow the pack. I'm not saying he's right, but at least its his own opinion.

milkman
04-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Russ is off the wall, but I do appreciate the fact that he comes to his own conclusions about players and doesn't follow the pack. I'm not saying he's right, but at least its his own opinion.

Great.

A moron that you can respect.

KevB
04-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Great.

A moron that you can respect.

Exactly. A 2 down MLB in a 3-4 that runs a 5.0 40 with the 36th pick in an incredibly deep draft? Sorry, he's an idiot.

DaWolf
04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Here's more on what he said:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/4/14/1422489/if-chiefs-go-safety-some-say-earl

On selecting Rolando McClain at five:

I don't think that's their preference but I think they like him enough and I think they realize he's not going to be there when their pick is up in the second round.

I think it's going to be either Thomas or McClain because they need a lot of help on their defense.The inside linebackers they played with last year, guys like Demorrio Williams, they're just not big enough to play the system they want to run.

On Earl Thomas:

When you look at Earl Thomas, he's a guy who's a safety, who can also come down and cover the slot receiver as a corner.

I know that when Scott Pioli was in New England, they always valued versatility and I think something like that would make Thomas a guy that would really fit what they want to do.

On Eric Berry:

I think he's a guy that's in the discussion but I think they prefer Thomas over Berry, and I do too. I think he's a much better football player and I think he'll be a much better NFL football player and that's why I think Thomas will get chosen over Berry.

More on Earl Thomas:

He has the versatility to be a good starting safety who can be very good against the run, very good in pass coverage and a guy who can come down and cover the slot receiver.

Concerns with Berry:

Whereas I think with Berry, you have a guy who's very good in man-to-man coverage, as a safety he's very inconsistent, he's a poor tackler, not aggressive when he comes up in run support and he's inconsistent in deep coverage.

I don't think he's an elite prospect.

Mecca
04-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Just remember, since 2000 there hasn't been a LB drafted that ran a 40 at 5 or slower.

Bowser
04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm getting the (sinking?) feeling the closer the draft gets here that we're taking Dan Williams, especially if we can move Jackson and/or Dorsey via trade.

Mecca
04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Whoever wrote that shit on Berry is high, he's a far better run support player than Thomas has ever dreamed of.

That's someone just trying to be different.

Bowser
04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm getting the (sinking?) feeling the closer the draft gets here that we're taking Dan Williams, especially if we can move Jackson and/or Dorsey via trade.

I forgot the "Duh" part.

Bowser
04-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Whoever wrote that shit on Berry is high, he's a far better run support player than Thomas has ever dreamed of.

That's someone just trying to be different.Yeah, all I've heard of Berry is he's that once every four or five year guy at his position with ALL the intangibles.

Mecca
04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Earl Thomas is actually kind of similar to Donte Whitner, he should end up better than Whitner has but as prospects they're comparable.

patteeu
04-14-2010, 08:03 PM

Why especially if we can move Jackson and/or Dorsey? Wouldn't Dan Williams play the NT? Wouldn't moving one or both of those guys just create a new hole?

Tribal Warfare
04-14-2010, 08:10 PM

It's more bearable than taking Okung/Bulaga.

Bowser
04-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Why especially if we can move Jackson and/or Dorsey? Wouldn't Dan Williams play the NT? Wouldn't moving one or both of those guys just create a new hole?
It doesn't even sound logical to me. It's just one of those feelings, like the feeling you get before you have a bout of really bad gas.

Hell, with all this prognostication, the Chiefs likely will make a pick at 5 that will make us all do one of those Looney Tunes shake your head/make disbelieving sound things.

T-post Tom
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Ummm...Russ...

http://mikesilvero.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/rhino-taking-a-dump-so-green.jpg