PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs second rounder for Gaither?

tooge
04-15-2010, 08:09 AM
I was listenting to 610 this am and they mentioned that the Ravens are only wanting a second rounder for Jared Gaiter. Wasn't he the starter at LT for them last year? He is only in his third year I believe and if they could get Berry with the first and Gaither with one of the seconds, isn't that a no brainer? I dont know much about this guy, but if we could land a proven starter for a second rounder I hope we do.

notorious
04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
If we brought him in, he will want elite LT money. What do we do with Albert? (We all know the answer, and it sucks)

aturnis
04-15-2010, 09:32 PM
If we brought him in, he will want elite LT money. What do we do with Albert? (We all know the answer, and it sucks)

Move him to LG and jettison Waters. 10 yrs. on the left side.

Mecca
04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
You'd have to resign him to elite money, and he emphatically stated he is a LT and he's not changing positions.

On top of that the Ravens seem to think he's lazy.

Ebolapox
04-15-2010, 09:36 PM
I GUESS it's better than bryan fucking baluga at number five, but I don't want either. better than bad does NOT equal good.

OnTheWarpath15
04-15-2010, 09:36 PM
You'd have to resign him to elite money, and he emphatically stated he is a LT and he's not changing positions.

On top of that the Ravens seem to think he's lazy.

I'd say the rest of the league does as well.

Otherwise, you'd think there'd be a line a mile long trying to get a potential franchise LT who's only 24 years old, when his team is only asking for a 2nd round pick.

Mecca
04-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Kinda weird to see everyone view a guy as lazy when all of his numbers say he's a top 5 player at his position.

MoreLemonPledge
04-15-2010, 09:43 PM
The Ravens have also indicated that he can be incredibly lazy.

edit: Mecca beat me to the lazy thing.

I don't know why they would say that if they're trying to move him, unless there's some truth to it.

milkman
04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
So, has anyone heard that he's reportedly lazy?

Titty Meat
04-15-2010, 09:50 PM

I read an article midseason last year were they were so impressed with Oher they said they would move him to LT which would be problematic because they don't want to pay two players LT money.

MoreLemonPledge
04-15-2010, 09:56 PM
I read an article midseason last year were they were so impressed with Oher they said they would move him to LT which would be problematic because they don't want to pay two players LT money.

Restricted free agent LT Jared Gaither has a "half-baked work ethic," according to Ken Murray of the Baltimore Sun. Perhaps this explains why the Ravens are rumored to be willing to trade Gaither. It's pretty clear Baltimore is not planning on giving Gaither the long-term deal that he wants right now.

Titty Meat
04-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Kent Babb reports alot of things too doesn't mean it's true. Whatever Gaither is so lazy he's a dominate tackle. Besides how is a olinemen lazy?

Miles
04-15-2010, 10:01 PM

The last time there was a go around with him around here, which was maybe a month ago, all I could find was some rotoworld comments and him not showing up for OTA's somehow indicating he was lazy.

MoreLemonPledge
04-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Hey, I would take him. That's just a lot of money to put into a position that really doesn't need it.

Miles
04-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Hey, I would take him. That's just a lot of money to put into a position that really doesn't need it.

An improvement on throwing the #5 and more money to do the same thing.

MoreLemonPledge
04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
An improvement on throwing the #5 and more money to do the same thing.

Believe me, the last thing I want to see is an OT taken at #5. Gaither would be a better option in any scenario.

Miles
04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Believe me, the last thing I want to see is an OT taken at #5. Gaither would be a better option in any scenario.

Agreed.

Mecca
04-15-2010, 10:16 PM
The question you ask yourself then is, would the Chiefs be willing to drop the top 5 contract and the huge contract Gaither would command.

Miles
04-15-2010, 10:20 PM
The question you ask yourself then is, would the Chiefs be willing to drop the top 5 contract and the huge contract Gaither would command.

That is essentially it. It is a lot of resources to commit.

MoreLemonPledge
04-15-2010, 10:20 PM

Exactly, and I honestly don't think so. The Hunt family seems intent on spending literally as little on this franchise as possible right now.

Mecca
04-15-2010, 10:21 PM
The Chiefs are cheap, it's nice to see the Chiefs spend less on players than the Royals.

Miles
04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
The Chiefs are cheap, it's nice to see the Chiefs spend less on players than the Royals.

Maybe. Over the past two off-seasons under new ownership and management there really haven't been any free agents I can think to bitch about not paying for a rebuilding team.

BIG K
04-15-2010, 10:32 PM
I was listenting to 610 this am and they mentioned that the Ravens are only wanting a second rounder for Jared Gaiter. Wasn't he the starter at LT for them last year? He is only in his third year I believe and if they could get Berry with the first and Gaither with one of the seconds, isn't that a no brainer? I dont know much about this guy, but if we could land a proven starter for a second rounder I hope we do.

I thought the Chiefs already had a starting LT. So they need to replace a first rounder LT, move him to guard or RT and spend a 2nd round pick to pick up a new LT?

Miles
04-15-2010, 10:35 PM
I thought the Chiefs already had a starting LT. So they need to replace a first rounder LT, move him to guard or RT and spend a 2nd round pick to pick up a new LT?

Can't argue much there. Would you prefer they used the #5 pick to achieve the same?

BIG K
04-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Can't argue much there. Would you prefer they used the #5 pick to achieve the same?

Not at all, I would prefer they use the #5 on an actual need if they don't trade down....

BIG K
04-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Sorry, not trying to ruffel anyones feathers but, you will not convince me that a rookie shoved into the LT spot who only gave up 4 sacks,IIRC, and then asked to lose a ton of weight and change offensive philosophy twice in the off season should be written off as a failure.

If he fails this year, then yeah, bump his ass.

MoreLemonPledge
04-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Sorry, not trying to ruffel anyones feathers but, you will not convince me that a rookie shoved into the LT spot who only gave up 4 sacks,IIRC, and then asked to lose a ton of weight and change offensive philosophy twice in the off season should be written off as a failure.

I think Branden Albert has proven he will be a successful LT in the NFL. If anything, I'd be more curious to see what Gaither would offer us on the right.

OnTheWarpath15
04-15-2010, 10:58 PM
I think Branden Albert has proven he will be a successful LT in the NFL. If anything, I'd be more curious to see what Gaither would offer us on the right.

If he were willing or able to play the right side, Baltimore would just keep him, and flip he and Oher.

aturnis
04-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm saying you could pass on Berry, get Clausen and picks. Probably their second and whatever you would have to give up to make it "fair value".

Use our first 2nd and their 2nd #36, #38, to grab top flight talent, Cody or Tate if they fall, or whomever you desire.

Our 2nd from ATL, to BAL for Gaithers, and possible late rounder if need be.

Right there you get your stud QB, LT, LG. Your QB investment is protected by a DAMNED good LT, LG combo in Gaithers, Albert. (not to mention the holes that would be opened for Charles)

All while still being able to address critical needs at two of either NT, S, WR, LB, OLB, all big needs with big talent in this draft in the early second.

We also get to keep most all of if not all of our five picks from rounds 3-5.

Mecca
04-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Why can't anyone spell anyone's names right around here? LOL

Anyway Gaither said LT is his position and asking him to play RT or another line position would be like asking Joe Flacco to play RB.

MoreLemonPledge
04-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Why can't anyone spell anyone's names right around here? LOL

Anyway Gaither said LT is his position and asking him to play RT or another line position would be like asking Joe Flacco to play RB.

Cool. Then we don't want or need him.

aturnis
04-15-2010, 11:04 PM

top 5 LT or top 5 draft pick? I assume you mean LT.

They could somewhat justify it in the fact that, at least in my scenario, would be saving some mils in dropping to the 7th spot.(maybe not with the QB factor, i dunno) and the fact that Albert is not highly paid. I really don't think he'd get all belligerent come contract time and demand LT money either. Doesn't seem like the type.

Come on! LT's are worth the money! Didn't you see Blindside! :p:doh!: Really though, they are.

BIG K
04-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Cool. Then we don't want or need him.

Thank you...

aturnis
04-15-2010, 11:06 PM

Rollout with Tyler Thigpen can do a lot for a rook LT.

Mecca
04-15-2010, 11:11 PM
top 5 LT or top 5 draft pick? I assume you mean LT.

They could somewhat justify it in the fact that, at least in my scenario, would be saving some mils in dropping to the 7th spot.(maybe not with the QB factor, i dunno) and the fact that Albert is not highly paid. I really don't think he'd get all belligerent come contract time and demand LT money either. Doesn't seem like the type.

Come on! LT's are worth the money! Didn't you see Blindside! :p:doh!: Really though, they are.

No no what I mean is, if you trade for Gaither you have to give him the huge contract he wants, plus having to pay the top 5 pick too.

So you're in excess of 100 mill on 2 players.

BIG K
04-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Rollout with Tyler Thigpen can do a lot for a rook LT.

So can an established offensive philosophy. The guy improved in the latter part of the season adjusting to game plan and his weight loss.

aturnis
04-15-2010, 11:22 PM
No no what I mean is, if you trade for Gaither you have to give him the huge contract he wants, plus having to pay the top 5 pick too.

Chicago does it.:p Also, in my scenario, we're at 7 not 5. Uncapped year, front load the fuck out of em?

aturnis
04-15-2010, 11:23 PM
So can an established offensive philosophy. The guy improved in the latter part of the season adjusting to game plan and his weight loss.

Not saying he didn't get better. He obviously did, but Charles has a lot to do with that too. Will he ever be elite though?

Mecca
04-15-2010, 11:23 PM
The Chiefs are kinda cheap remember...

BIG K
04-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Not saying he didn't get better. He obviously did, but Charles has a lot to do with that too. Will he ever be elite though?

Perhaps you have a point however, I was basing my judgement on his improved footwork at a lighter weight and his blocking at the latter. My point is, I believe it is too early to give up on him. Anyway, goodnight all!

aturnis
04-15-2010, 11:26 PM

In my opinion that's just "posturing" really. Get the best base you can possibly build as cheap as possible, paying your core guys and your high draft picks. The other are just bodies until their replaced. Then you have the room to pay to keep your young guys who have become core guys come contract time, and can afford to make big moves that will vastly affect the success of your team now or when it comes time to make the big push, when we're contenders. If we're ever contenders that is.

Miles
04-15-2010, 11:27 PM

Again how should they have spent to get FA's over the past two off-seasons?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-15-2010, 11:45 PM
How about we just draft a fucking guard.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 12:23 AM
I think Branden Albert has proven he will be a successful LT in the NFL.

Really? When?

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 12:24 AM
How about we just draft a ****ing guard.

Mike Johnson with our second second round pick isn't a bad idea at all.

Mecca
04-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Other than Mike Johnson is like a 4th or 5th round pick.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Other than Mike Johnson is like a 4th or 5th round pick.

What do you know? You think JPP is going in the first round.

aturnis
04-16-2010, 12:33 AM
What do you know? You think JPP is going in the first round.

He is. Possibly in the top half of it too.

Mecca
04-16-2010, 12:36 AM
He is going in the first round, even if he slides some teams like Tennessee and Atlanta would jump on him.

What do you know you have Lamar Houston and Brian Price in the 1st round.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 01:00 AM
He is going in the first round, even if he slides some teams like Tennessee and Atlanta would jump on him.

Not a chance. The guy has 8 games of D1 experience, his game films don't show anything other than the occasional good play and a lack of any inside move, and he apparently interviewed horribly. Dumb as a bag of hammers and didn't have a clue about anything relating to football. Just because the guy did 14 backflips in a row on a YouTube video doesn't mean he's first round NFL material.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's still available in the third round.

What do you know you have Lamar Houston and Brian Price in the 1st round.

Because I'm a genius.

Price could actually go a lot higher than where I have him, and he could still be there at the top to mid point of the second round. (Detroit would love that if they go OT in the first.) His college production was as good as any other DT in the draft, including Suh and McCoy. Price in the first round isn't a reach by any consideration.

Houston was one of those guy who is a second rounder, but just fits the size prototype for the position better than others. I think teams like him a lot more than people think, the Jets need to get younger on the defensive line and he represents the best possible 3-4 DE left on the board.

CoMoChief
04-16-2010, 01:02 AM
The Ravens have also indicated that he can be incredibly lazy.

edit: Mecca beat me to the lazy thing.

I don't know why they would say that if they're trying to move him, unless there's some truth to it.

Because they have other needs (WR) and they can get more picks if they have a surplus at a certain position.

Mecca
04-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Brian Price destroyed his stock when everyone realized he's not solid at his weight, he's very sloppy and it's not good weight.

Dude Jason Pierre Paul is a 1st round pick, you may not personally like him but he's a first rounder.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Brian Price destroyed his stock when everyone realized he's not solid at his weight, he's very sloppy and it's not good weight.

He's a butterball, but I don't think you can deny his on the field production. The guy had a really good career and was superb in 2009. It's not like the majority of NFL defensive tackles are svelte, ripped specimens.

Dude Jason Pierre Paul is a 1st round pick, you may not personally like him but he's a first rounder.

I don't see it. You watch his "highlight" videos and Selvie is the one that's standing out, getting more of the double teams, getting chipped by ends and backs, etc. Paul just doesn't dominate like you would expect a potential first round pick should.

Here's a recent blurb on him that echoes what I've been suggesting for a while:

Scouts don't question his upside, but tell me that Pierre-Paul is "at least" one year away from being a major contributor to an NFL team. He lacked the strength and toughness last year to provide much in terms of run defense for the Bulls and really disappointed at the Combine, struggling during interviews by showing very little understanding of basic football principles. Considering the value of pass rushers, scouts still thought Pierre-Paul would "probably" make the first round, but weren't certain what teams could afford to devote millions to such a project. "I wouldn't even use a second round pick on the guy," said one high ranking team official. "You see flashes, sure, but [the team that drafts him] had better keep things simple. Don't ask him to know gap assignments. Don't ask him to really play football. Just rush the passer." - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Mecca
04-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Are you trying to tell me Selvie is going to get picked ahead of him?

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Are you trying to tell me Selvie is going to get picked ahead of him?

No, but I fail to understand why JPP has this hypothetical first round grade, while Selvie has plummeted.

Mecca
04-16-2010, 01:58 AM
Selvie was good 3 years ago, he had the 1 good year and has done nothing since, he's also a tweener.

JPP's potential alone is why he'll be a high pick, it makes me laugh when you're like he has no production. Have you not noticed how the draft has always worked? There's a guy like JPP in the 1st round every year.

TheGuardian
04-16-2010, 06:17 AM
:::face fucking palm:::

Why do so many on this board talking about getting a left tackle? Because Albert struggled a little bit for the first half of his sophomore year (after a big weight drop in a new offense no less)? So did Clady, so did Joe Thomas and Jake Long and LOTS of sophomore left tackles. The last 5 games of the season Albert was fucking nails. His rookie season he was nails. So we have a two year player, and basically 21 games where Albert was fantastic or near it, and 11 games where he wasn't, and we need a whole new player?

Dumbfuks.

CoMoChief
04-16-2010, 08:04 AM
There's no reason to think Albert couldn't play RT.

And so what, this team would have 2 1st rd picks at the tackle position? Who cares. This current regime can't worry about what the previous one did. Adding Gaither would be huge for the offense, no one here can deny that. We have 2 2nd round picks, why not spend one on a tackle that can become a starter for next 10 yrs or so?

MoreLemonPledge
04-16-2010, 08:08 AM

And so what, this team would have 2 1st rd picks at the tackle position? Who cares. This current regime can't worry about what the previous one did. Adding Gaither would be huge for the offense, no one here can deny that. We have 2 2nd round picks, why not spend one on a tackle that can become a starter for next 10 yrs or so?

Because RT is certainly not a premier position, and there are no true elite prospects at the position this year anyway.

Brock
04-16-2010, 08:11 AM

:facepalm:

Cosmos
04-16-2010, 08:12 AM

You know Clark would rather pay that kind of money to a soccer player right?

CoMoChief
04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
:facepalm:

The coaches said he could play there. I guess you know more than they do.

RJ
04-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Haven't read the whole thread, but.....regardless of Albert, laziness or anything else, Gaither is probably the BPA for either of our 2nd round picks. Young, talented 6'9" left tackles are a rare commodity.

Brock
04-16-2010, 08:31 AM
The coaches said he could play there. I guess you know more than they do.

The coaches also said Matt Cassel made no mental errors. So yeah, I just might.

Huffman83
04-16-2010, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't have a problem w/ a 2nd for Gaither and even seeing what KC could get for Waters then moving Albert over LG.

Having a line that's in it's mid to late 20's and in their prime w/ a total average of 30ish starts for all 5 guys (Lilja has 59 starts, lowest is O'Callahan with 19 starts.) Is a lot better of an idea.

LT Gaither /LG Albert/ C Niswanger/RG Lilja/RT O'Callahan

I'm sorry I just don't see Weigman starting much less making the team. But w/ depth of Ndukwe, Richardson, Colin Brown, and say they draft someone like Eric Olsen C/G from Notre Dame. That is more of a long term idea of an OL. Even if you take Gaither out of the picture and insert any top LT prospect in the draft.

The only thing that's suspect is Lilja. We just don't know if the Colts were right in thinking he was "done."

CoMoChief
04-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Haven't read the whole thread, but.....regardless of Albert, laziness or anything else, Gaither is probably the BPA for either of our 2nd round picks. Young, talented 6'9" left tackles are a rare commodity.

Gaither is probably a better OT than anyone in this draft class.

1. FS Eric Berry
2. NT Terrance Cody
2. OT Jared Gaither (trade via BAL)
3. WR Mardy Gilyard
4. OLB Eric Norwood
5. OL Chris Scott
5. C Eric Olsen
5. WR/KR Ted Ginn Jr. (trade via MIA)

CoMoChief
04-16-2010, 08:58 AM
The coaches also said Matt Cassel made no mental errors. So yeah, I just might.

You know all. You should be a coach in the NFL. I'm not sure why you're not one already.

Brock
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM
You know all. You should be a coach in the NFL. I'm not sure why you're not one already.

Do you think Todd Haley is some kind of football genius or something?

TheGuardian
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM

Albert is a LT. Not a RT, not even a guard. Gaither doesn't want to play right tackle because of money. Period. And apparently he's a lazy bitch.

So no.

Huffman83
04-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Albert is a LT. Not a RT, not even a guard. Gaither doesn't want to play right tackle because of money. Period. And apparently he's a lazy bitch.

So no.

He was a LG in college. He wasn't a LT until he was in the NFL.

CoMoChief
04-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Do you think Todd Haley is some kind of football genius or something?

One coaches in the NFL, one discusses football on a fan msg board.

Guess who I would trust in running a team?

Chiefnj2
04-16-2010, 09:08 AM
If the choice is between grading a 2nd round pick for Gaither, paying him a lot money and letting him and Albert battle it out on OL positions, or using the top 5 pick on a tackle, I'm taking Gaither any day of the week.

CoMoChief
04-16-2010, 09:11 AM

So no.

The coaches have said that Albert could play RT. So you would put Gaither at LT. Then we wouldnt have to worry about tackles for a long time.

Brock
04-16-2010, 09:16 AM
One coaches in the NFL, one discusses football on a fan msg board.

Guess who I would trust in running a team?

Right, you've never been critical of Chiefs coaches? You just swallow whatever shit they feed you? Or is that just convenient for you right now?

boogblaster
04-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Lazy LTs just need fined every week .. plus no late-nite snacks .....

Pioli Zombie
04-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Bill Gaither is a horrible singer

Skyy God
04-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Restricted free agent LT Jared Gaither has a "half-baked work ethic," according to Ken Murray of the Baltimore Sun. Perhaps this explains why the Ravens are rumored to be willing to trade Gaither. It's pretty clear Baltimore is not planning on giving Gaither the long-term deal that he wants right now.

JFC.

75 posts in and no one gets the thinly disguised pot reference in this quote.

Brock
04-16-2010, 10:17 AM
The coaches have said that Albert could play RT. So you would put Gaither at LT. Then we wouldnt have to worry about tackles for a long time.

Pioli: "Branden's our left tackle. He improved a lot last year."

TheGuardian
04-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Where is the quote where they insinuate that he could be MOVED to right tackle?

milkman
04-17-2010, 05:16 AM
The last time there was a go around with him around here, which was maybe a month ago, all I could find was some rotoworld comments and him not showing up for OTA's somehow indicating he was lazy.

Thanks for the answer, but I was just being a smartass.