PDA

View Full Version : KU Source Says Selby To Be A Jayhawk

ArrowheadHawk
04-15-2010, 11:05 AM
I really hope this is true.

Source Says Selby To Be A Jayhawk (http://isportsweb.com/2010/04/15/source-says-selby-to-be-a-jayhawk/)

<!--post meta info-->By Chris Resor (http://isportsweb.com/author/resor/) • on April 15, 2010
<!--post text with the read more link-->http://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/04/josh-selby-nbpa-307x480.jpg (http://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/04/josh-selby-nbpa-307x480.jpg)
A source close to the situation told me on Thursday morning that the #4 player in the class of 2010, according to Rivals, will reach for the KU hat during halftime of the Jordan Brand Classic in New York’s Madison Square Garden. Selby, a 6′-2 point guard from Lake Clifton High School in Baltimore, might just be the most athletic player in this year’s class, proving it during his domination of the Slam Dunk Contest as part of the McDonalds All-American Game festivities recently. But beyond athleticism, Josh seems to be one of the most fierce competitors as well. His constant hustle, and ability to match another team’s top player reminds some of the man he will be replacing in Lawrence, Sherron Collins. Selby admits that “those would be big shoes to fill”, but if there is anyone in this year’s class that could, it would definitely be Selby.

The former Tennessee commit was once again being wooed by his former suitor in recent weeks, and despite his respect for the UT coaching staff, the Kansas staff’s consistency was, I think, the biggest factor in the decision. Josh and his mother seemed to like Bill Self from the beginning, and that never changed. Despite rumors that Josh would commit to Kentucky shortly after his decommitment to UT, Kentucky really never played that big a role in his recruitment. The rumors that spawned from that seemed to involve, the infamous World Wide Wes, but were quickly shot down by his mother, Maeshon Witherspoon. Ms. Witherspoon was definitely in charge of the process from day one. Trust me Jayhawk fans when I say this, you will love this woman. She is as knowledgeable as anyone that will be around an 18 year old when he arrives on campus, but also brings the kind of love that only a mother can have.

Note: Another Jordan Brand participant and McDonalds All-American is set to announce during the Classic on Saturday, 6′-4 combo guard, Doron Lamb. While rumors have been circulating for sometime that Lamb and Selby would be a package deal to KU, I cannot confirm this is the case. Although I believe Kansas stands a good chance to land Lamb, the family has been tight-lipped throughout the process. Another former favorite for KU, Terrence Jones, could also be a possibility as Self and staff has recently reached out to the SF/PF from out West. We’ll keep you posted on that one as well.

Pants
04-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, they're saying that apparently he called all the other schools on the list and told them about his decision but asked not to make it public knowledge. This is the only recruit I wanted this year and IMO, he's only 2nd to Harrison Barnes. Rivals might actually make him their new #1 overall in the next ranking update.

I can't get too excited yet because we've been burned like this before, but if we get this kid, I'll consider this recruiting year a huge success. If we also get Lamb or Jones, it'll be a ****ing coup.

Either way, with Selby running the team, I see us as a definite top 7 team in the nation and the B12 favorite again. God, please make this happen.

blazzin311
04-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Awesome! :thumb: I hope this is true and he does commit to KU. The Hawks are still gonna have good team next year with or without him, but with him it would obviously help to making this team even better.

kepp
04-15-2010, 11:17 AM
What kind of player/PG is he? Is he more of a "me first", like Collins, or a true PG?

Pants
04-15-2010, 11:19 AM
What kind of player/PG is he? Is he more of a "me first", like Collins, or a true PG?

Collins is a "me first"? Selby is a more athletic version of Collins, which is pretty much a JIMP type situation for any KU fan.

wildcat09
04-15-2010, 11:19 AM
I watched the dunk contest and he is very athletic. We might have the two most athletic pg in the Big XII with him and Elijah.

ArrowheadHawk
04-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I watched the dunk contest and he is very athletic. We might have the two most athletic pg in the Big XII with him and Elijah.Also don't forget TRob. He is very athletic also. A lineup of Selby, Taylor, EJ, TRob, and Marcus would be outstanding.

SithCeNtZ
04-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Collins is a "me first"? Selby is a more athletic version of Collins, which is pretty much a JIMP type situation for any KU fan.

Collins wasn't all that good of a pure PG. He was good at scoring, but he was pretty mediocre at passing and getting other team mates involved. There were many times where he would drive the lane determined to shoot regardless of if 5 guys converged on him. I think he was much better suited to be what he was on the title team, a SG who could pick his spots to attack and wasn't really counted on to distribute the ball everywhere.

Mr. Kotter
04-15-2010, 11:27 AM
If this plays out, definitely a good thing. Especially a package deal with Lamb. :thumb:

Pants
04-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Collins wasn't all that good of a pure PG. He was good at scoring, but he was pretty mediocre at passing and getting other team mates involved. There were many times where he would drive the lane determined to shoot regardless of if 5 guys converged on him. I think he was much better suited to be what he was on the title team, a SG who could pick his spots to attack and wasn't really counted on to distribute the ball everywhere.

When things weren't going well for the team, he would definitely try to put everything on his shoulders and would fail at times. He was pretty money at driving it in, collapsing the D and dishing it back out.

Pants
04-15-2010, 11:30 AM
If this plays out, definitely a good thing. Especially a package deal with Lamb. :thumb:

Intrawebs are pretty sure that Lamb is going to UK, but you never know. Shit, there's still a chance Selby goes to UT... recruiting is pretty crazy.

wildcat09
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Also don't forget TRob. He is very athletic also. A lineup of Selby, Taylor, EJ, TRob, and Marcus would be outstanding.

Absolutely......I was merely talking about the backcourt. Our frontcourt will be very athletic, as well. I am looking for Mario Little to be an impact player next year, too.

sedated
04-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Intrawebs are pretty sure that Lamb is going to UK, but you never know.

intarwebs are pretty much speculating that every available recruit other than Selby will end up at UK.

SithCeNtZ
04-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Terrence Jones on if KU is in the mix: "I won't really know until after (the Jordan game) is over."

Should be an interesting Saturday night....

shitgoose
04-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Terrence Jones on if KU is in the mix: "I won't really know until after (the Jordan game) is over."

Should be an interesting Saturday night....

We only have 2 scholarships available so if we get Selby and Lamb then I guess Jones is out. If Lamb goes to UK then it sounds like KU would be in the mix for Jones.

ArrowheadHawk
04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
We only have 2 scholarships available so if we get Selby and Lamb then I guess Jones is out. If Lamb goes to UK then it sounds like KU would be in the mix for Jones.If this happens then Self will have hit a home run. I wish he would get guys to comit sooner but he is the master at getting guys to comit late.

Mr. Laz
04-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Terrance Jones

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OtTQV6taV6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OtTQV6taV6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

DaWolf
04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
A source close to the situation told me on Thursday morning that the #4 player in the class of 2010, according to Rivals, will reach for the KU hat during halftime of the Jordan Brand Classic in New York’s Madison Square Garden.

Oh no, recruits reaching for hats and KU have never gone over well. I'll breathe easy only when this one has...

Mr. Laz
04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Josh Selby

6'3" 185 pound point guard out of Baltimore Maryland. There was a time when Kansas didn't touch the Northeast. No longer the case with Bill Self around. Selby is viewed as an incredibly athletic scorer with the ability to get to the basket as good as anyone. During the McDonald's All American practices he was described as a "relentless attacker, Selby doesn't stop until he gets to the rim." Sounds like a Sherron Collins with a little more size and explosiveness

<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/36td_ejDRJ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

Mr. Laz
04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Doron Lamb

6'4" 180 pound shooting guard out of the basketball factory of Oak Hill Academy. Lamb is viewed as a natural scorer who is as comfortable shooting from deep as he is with the mid range jumper. At this years McD's AA game Lamb was labeled the top shooting guard during the weeks practices by many. Lamb and his father have been very open about wanting to play with a dynamic point guard. Basically Lamb wants someone who can create and put him in a position to use his abilities. Probably why this appears to be a Kansas vs. Kentucky battle. Lamb isn't necessarily the game breaker that Selby is, but the #21 overall ranked recruit in the 2010 class is definitely a big piece to whichever puzzle he joins.

<object class=" __noscriptOpaqued__ __noscriptObjectPatchMe__" height="385" width="640">

<embed class=" __noscriptOpaqued__" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R_-44XqbwUU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" allowscriptaccess="always" mce_src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R_-44XqbwUU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" height="385" width="640"></object>

shitgoose
04-15-2010, 12:08 PM
If this happens then Self will have hit a home run. I wish he would get guys to comit sooner but he is the master at getting guys to comit late.

Agreed. The top players almost always wait until the late signing period to get as much exposure as possible. It sucks (as fans) because of the rampant speculation and internet rumors but you have got to think that these guys know where they are headed and have known for sometime.

Pants
04-15-2010, 12:09 PM
The awesome thing about Selby is that his D is even better than his scoring, which says a lot. He's like a mix of RussRob and Sherron but only with the better parts of their respective games. Jesus titty, I want this guy more than I have ever wanted any other recruit.

As far as Lamb goes, it's a slippery slope, IMO. The kids sees himself as a baller and wants X type minutes, but he's not very athletic and obvioulsy would be inexperienced. Self wouldn't probably start him thus giving more ammo to other coaches in future recruiting battles.

Really, all I want is Selby.

kepp
04-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Sounds like a Sherron Collins with a little more size and explosiveness

I'll assume you meant "height".

ArrowheadHawk
04-15-2010, 12:15 PM
</EMBED>I've seen that somewhere. Oh yeah. Post #19.

Mr. Plow
04-15-2010, 12:16 PM
I've seen that somewhere. Oh yeah. Post #19.

Son of a :mad:

Pants
04-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Agreed. The top players almost always wait until the late signing period to get as much exposure as possible. It sucks (as fans) because of the rampant speculation and internet rumors but you have got to think that these guys know where they are headed and have known for sometime.

I agree to an extent, but I also do believe that sometimes they truly don't know where they want to go and other times, they're waiting to see how their prospective teams shape up after the draft declarations.

ArrowheadHawk
04-15-2010, 12:21 PM
I agree to an extent, but I also do believe that sometimes they truly don't know where they want to go and other times, they're waiting to see how their prospective teams shape up after the draft declarations.Also I would think that coaching moves could play a huge part.

Mr. Plow
04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/04/15/selby-still-mulling-his-college-options/

NEW YORK — While Doron Lamb says he has already selected a college (http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/04/15/doron-lamb-say-hes-decided/), Josh Selby maintains he’s still weighing his options with about 48 hours to go until Saturday’s announcement at Madison Square Garden. “I’m still deciding right now,” the 6-foot-2 Selby told SNY.tv Thursday at the Jordan Brand Classic practice at Sports Club/LA in Manhattan. “[Friday] when I have free time to think about my choices, I should know by [Friday] night, though.”

The No. 2 point guard in the Class of 2010 according to Rivals, Selby said his final list includes UConn, Kentucky, Arizona, Tennessee and Kansas.

Selby said his mother, Maeshon Witherspoon, already has a strong opinion on the matter.

“I think my mom knows where she wants me to go, so she knows. But I just want to sit down by myself and think about it,” he said.

Point guard Brandon Knight of Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Pine Crest announced Wednesday that he will attend Kentucky (http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/04/14/brandon-knight-to-kentucky/), but Selby said that decision would not necessarily impact his.

“I didn’t wait for him to commit,” Selby said. “I was going to commit here. I wasn’t waiting for Brandon to commit, Cory [Joseph] to commit because it don’t have no effect on which school I want to go to.”

Mr. Laz
04-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I'll assume you meant "height".
i didn't write that stuff ... it's from a recruit profile page for all 3 guys.

Mr. Plow
04-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Interesting that Lamb says that he's already decided.

Mr. Laz
04-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Would Lamb come to KU with the Morris twins etc already here?

SithCeNtZ
04-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Would Lamb come to KU with the Morris twins etc already here?

He's a guard/wing so the Morris twins shouldn't have any impact on his decision.

Mr. Laz
04-15-2010, 12:35 PM
He's a guard/wing so the Morris twins shouldn't have any impact on his decision.
wow ... ok, i seen stuff referring to him as a forward.

so Lamb is basically another Xavier Henry type?

how's his ball handling ... shooting?

Selby/Lamb would be pretty much an ideal replacement for Collins/Henry.

BWillie
04-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I think we are going to get him folks. I really do. I haven't felt this good about getting a recruit for a few years now. All signs from every source, and I've read things from about 10 legit sources, all say that he's going to KU. His mom is also very involved w/ the process and loves her some Coach Self and his charming personality.

SithCeNtZ
04-15-2010, 12:45 PM

He is basically being recruited as the replacement for X. KU was fading in his recruitment a little bit and then a month or so ago they had an interview with him that he basically said Self called him up and said X is leaving and we have 30 minutes of playing time to offer if you want to come. That obviously got his attention along with wanting to play with Selby.

As far as his ball handling and shooting, he isn't an All American for nothing, but it should be noted that no scouts think he is a one and done talent and thus expectations on him if he does come here should be tempered.

BWillie
04-15-2010, 12:50 PM

Lamb is not athletic. Xavier Henry is much more athletic than Lamb is, at least in terms of jumping ability. Lamb is 6'4'' and can barely dunk. I think Lamb is a better ball handler though and he is a great scorer. He's got a great pull up jumper and a wonderful shooter. I'm kind of confused why he's rated so high, if Royce is rated so low.

Mr. Laz
04-15-2010, 12:52 PM
He is basically being recruited as the replacement for X. KU was fading in his recruitment a little bit and then a month or so ago they had an interview with him that he basically said Self called him up and said X is leaving and we have 30 minutes of playing time to offer if you want to come. That obviously got his attention along with wanting to play with Selby.

As far as his ball handling and shooting, he isn't an All American for nothing, but it should be noted that no scouts think he is a one and done talent and thus expectations on him if he does come here should be tempered.
well ... but everyone talked about how Henry was uber and his ball handling is for shit.

i just wondered because imo a good wing player should be a 2-way threat. Pop it from the outside or drive and take it to the rim.

BWillie
04-15-2010, 01:09 PM
well ... but everyone talked about how Henry was uber and his ball handling is for shit.

i just wondered because imo a good wing player should be a 2-way threat. Pop it from the outside or drive and take it to the rim.

How was Henry not a threat both ways? He wasn't very laterally quick, but he could get to the rim when he wanted to and was very strong w/ the ball. He shot alot of free throws too.

Mr. Laz
04-15-2010, 01:15 PM
How was Henry not a threat both ways? He wasn't very laterally quick, but he could get to the rim when he wanted to and was very strong w/ the ball. He shot alot of free throws too.
we really gonna fight about Henry? He's gone.

imo he couldn't use his right hand ... he couldn't drive right, couldn't shoot with his right. His overall ball handling was slow and weak. Teams figured that out pretty quickly and started forcing him right.

imo ball handling was the main issue for him going to the NBA.

Mr. Plow
04-15-2010, 01:21 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/04/15/kentucky.recruiting/index.html

The one recruit who didn't care about the signing day madness, in the least, was Selby, who's the second-ranked point guard in the Class of 2010, and a target of Kansas (his most likely destination), Kentucky, Tennessee and UConn. He was at the Westin, engrossed in a Playstation 3 hoops duel between the Nuggets (using his fellow Baltimorean Carmelo Anthony) and Lakers, and made no attempt to check up on Knight's situation. When I asked Selby for his reaction on Knight, he said, "I didn't know that it happened. I don't have a reaction, because it doesn't have any affect on where I'm going."

What he meant by it not having any affect on him is that he feels he's good enough to earn time in any backcourt, whether it be alongside Knight or the Jayhawks' Tyshawn Taylor. But one could sense that Selby, who's going to announce his college choice at halftime of Saturday's Jordan game, wasn't too interested in Kentucky. He mentioned that while he'd spoken with KU coach Bill Self a few days earlier, he hadn't spoken with Calipari in a couple of months.

I asked if I should take that as a sign. Selby said, "Yeah, that's a sign."

Selby's impending commitment to Kansas will make less of a splash in the media than Knight's to UK. But should it really be that way? Should we, like Selby, be more indifferent to Calipari's reloading day? Selby, after all, is more relevant to the 2010-11 season than Knight is; if Selby joins Taylor, Elijah Johnson, Tyrel Reed and the Morris twins (Marcus and Markieff) in Kansas' rotation, the Jayhawks could be a top-10 team once again.

I'm not as sure about Kentucky being in the top 10. Knight is a step down from Wall; Kanter is a step down from Cousins; and the Wildcats won't have the same kind of depth as they did in '09-10. Might we be wasting a lot of breath on a team that will be just decent, but not nearly Final Four-level good, and then faced with the same, "figure out how many guys we're gonna lose, and replace them" situation in the spring of 2011?

While all of this recruiting business is wildly entertaining, I fear that spring has become the time for overstating the potential impact of a small group of undecided prospects who hope to follow the Wall-and-Cousins route to the NBA. And I fear that we're paying too much attention to the wrong guys.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/04/15/kentucky.recruiting/index.html#ixzz0lCM3icUg
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription (http://tcr81.tynt.com/ads/2/0lCM3icUg)

the Talking Can
04-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Selby would be Self's highest rated recruit, i think ( i forget what X was)...somewhere I read that he could end up Rivals #1...

supposedly a taller version of sherron...i.e. a scorer, not a pure pg

anything after selby would be gravy...

we should be much more athletic and high flying next year

ArrowheadHawk
04-15-2010, 01:28 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/04/15/kentucky.recruiting/index.html

The one recruit who didn't care about the signing day madness, in the least, was Selby, who's the second-ranked point guard in the Class of 2010, and a target of Kansas (his most likely destination), Kentucky, Tennessee and UConn. He was at the Westin, engrossed in a Playstation 3 hoops duel between the Nuggets (using his fellow Baltimorean Carmelo Anthony) and Lakers, and made no attempt to check up on Knight's situation. When I asked Selby for his reaction on Knight, he said, "I didn't know that it happened. I don't have a reaction, because it doesn't have any affect on where I'm going."

What he meant by it not having any affect on him is that he feels he's good enough to earn time in any backcourt, whether it be alongside Knight or the Jayhawks' Tyshawn Taylor. But one could sense that Selby, who's going to announce his college choice at halftime of Saturday's Jordan game, wasn't too interested in Kentucky. He mentioned that while he'd spoken with KU coach Bill Self a few days earlier, he hadn't spoken with Calipari in a couple of months.

I asked if I should take that as a sign. Selby said, "Yeah, that's a sign."

Selby's impending commitment to Kansas will make less of a splash in the media than Knight's to UK. But should it really be that way? Should we, like Selby, be more indifferent to Calipari's reloading day? Selby, after all, is more relevant to the 2010-11 season than Knight is; if Selby joins Taylor, Elijah Johnson, Tyrel Reed and the Morris twins (Marcus and Markieff) in Kansas' rotation, the Jayhawks could be a top-10 team once again.

I'm not as sure about Kentucky being in the top 10. Knight is a step down from Wall; Kanter is a step down from Cousins; and the Wildcats won't have the same kind of depth as they did in '09-10. Might we be wasting a lot of breath on a team that will be just decent, but not nearly Final Four-level good, and then faced with the same, "figure out how many guys we're gonna lose, and replace them" situation in the spring of 2011?

While all of this recruiting business is wildly entertaining, I fear that spring has become the time for overstating the potential impact of a small group of undecided prospects who hope to follow the Wall-and-Cousins route to the NBA. And I fear that we're paying too much attention to the wrong guys.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/04/15/kentucky.recruiting/index.html#ixzz0lCM3icUg
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription (http://tcr81.tynt.com/ads/2/0lCM3icUg)
:thumb:

Pants
04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
If Selby ends up in Kansas, I WILL find Maeshon and give her a bear hug. If they arrest me for assault, so be it.

GoHuge
04-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Dude is a little smallish to be a 3 or wing player in the Big 12, no? 6'2" 180lbs. Unles they get him in the weight room dude will get muscled around by 3-4 year Big 12 players. Sounds like he'd be a great fit at SG. Regardless of who is currently on your roster or what kind of minutes they are expecting to get for themselves you make room and tell that guy to STFU like they did with Releford and Little for X. Good luck.

the Talking Can
04-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Dude is a little smallish to be a 3 or wing player in the Big 12, no? 6'2" 180lbs. Unles they get him in the weight room dude will get muscled around by 3-4 year Big 12 players. Sounds like he'd be a great fit at SG. Regardless of who is currently on your roster or what kind of minutes they are expecting to get for themselves you make room and tell that guy to STFU like they did with Releford and Little for X. Good luck.

he's not a 3

and he'll start day 1 at ku and be our best perimeter player...

Pants
04-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Who are you talking about?

ArrowheadHawk
04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Latest on KU recruits Josh Selby, Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones

Blog: The Newell Post (http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/newell_post/)

Subscribe (http://www2.kusports.com/rss/weblog_entries/newell_post/)

By Jesse Newell (http://www2.kusports.com/users/jnewell/)
April 15, 2010

Here is the latest from Kansas basketball targets Josh Selby, Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones after talking with each of them at media day for the Jordan Brand Classic today in New York City.
Josh Selby
http://media.lawrence.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2010/Apr/15/Selby_t620.jpg?fbf2daa044e08a86b24c9c38cd7501865a0e2373
Though Selby — ranked No. 4 overall by Rivals.com (http://rivals.com/) — is considered to be a heavy Kansas lean, the 6-foot-3 guard said Thursday that he hadn't officially decided on a school yet.
"I'm trying to cut the schools down, but it's so hard," Selby said. "I'm waiting for my mom and my uncle to come up here Saturday. We're supposed to sit down and talk about every school."
He listed his finalists in this order: UConn, Arizona, Tennessee, Kansas and Kentucky.
"I don’t know who it’s going to come down to, because all the schools have a lot of positive and negative things about them," Selby said, "so I don’t know yet."
Selby said that No. 1-ranked Rivals.com (http://rivals.com/) player Brandon Knight's decision to attend Kentucky on Wednesday wouldn't affect his decision.
Interestingly, Selby said he doesn't view himself as a Derrick Rose or a John Wall type of player.
"I don’t see myself as them, because right now, I don’t look at me as one-and-done," Selby said. "They were one-and-done in high school.
"That’s the way I humble myself. I think I lack everything. You’re always working on every part of your game."
Selby will announce his college choice during following a first-half media timeout at the Jordan Brand Classic game on Saturday.
When asked to compare his game to someone from the past, the Baltimore native came up with an interesting response.
"The old Steve Francis. Not the new one, the old one," Selby said. " ... The old Steve Francis, he was the man."
Doron Lamb
http://media.lawrence.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2010/Apr/15/Lamb_t620.jpg?fbf2daa044e08a86b24c9c38cd7501865a0e2373
Unlike Selby, the 6-foot-4 Lamb already has made up his mind which school he will attend next year. He's just not letting anyone know until Saturday.
Like Selby, Lamb will commit following a first-half media timeout at the Jordan Brand Classic game.
Lamb, the 21st-ranked player in Rivals.com's rankings, listed his finalists in this order: UConn, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky and West Virginia.
Looking for clues as to whom he will sign with? Try reading into this quote.
"I wanted to go to a school that had the right program, a winning program, a winning coach," Lamb said. "Somewhere I could play right away at. Just (a place) that felt like home to me."
Lamb said he had not alerted any coaches of his decision. He said the coaches would find out where he was going to school by hearing the announcement like everyone else.
He also said he had talked some with Selby.
"I don’t know where he’s going. He doesn’t know where I’m going," Lamb said. "We both have to wait and see where we’re going Saturday. We’ve just got to wait."
The two will figure out Friday which player will have their announcement first. If both were to commit to KU, that could make for interesting television.
Lamb, by the way, said he will put on the winning school's hat during his announcement.
Terrence Jones http://media.lawrence.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2010/Apr/15/Jones_t620.jpg?fbf2daa044e08a86b24c9c38cd7501865a0e2373
There have been some rumblings about KU perhaps having a chance at Jones, a 6-foot-8 forward and the 13th-ranked overall player according to Rivals.com (http://rivals.com/).
So, I asked Jones today if KU was in his mix of schools.
"I won’t really know until after this (Jordan Brand Classic) is over," Jones said. "I haven’t really started my recruitment over. It’s been on pause."
Rivals.com (http://www.jayhawkslant.com/) says Jones is considering Kentucky, Oklahoma, Oregon, UCLA, Washington, Arizona and Kansas.
Jones said he talked with KU coach Bill Self before the first signing period ended.
"He’s a great coach with a great program," Jones said. "That’s a great school."

Pants
04-15-2010, 03:46 PM
I'd love to hear Josh list all the negatives for all the schools.

GoHuge
04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Who are you talking about?I'm talking about Selby and referring to the people that said he'd play the 3. He's a 2 guard and a small one at that. My point was Xavier came to school and was built like a man. This kid is still built like a kid. Saying if they don't put some weight and muscle on him he's going to have a big learning curve once Big 12 play starts just like Henry did, but I see his talent shining through towards the end of the season the same way. That's why I said he will have problems with 3-4 year Big 12 players. Not saying he can't be great. Far from it.....just he's going to be the smallest guy on the floor and will be playing a much more physical game than he ever has before.

Pants
04-15-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm talking about Selby and referring to the people that said he'd play the 3. He's a 2 guard and a small one at that. My point was Xavier came to school and was built like a man. This kid is still built like a kid. Saying if they don't put some weight and muscle on him he's going to have a big learning curve once Big 12 play starts just like Henry did, but I see his talent shining through towards the end of the season the same way. That's why I said he will have problems with 3-4 year Big 12 players. Not saying he can't be great. Far from it.....just he's going to be the smallest guy on the floor and will be playing a much more physical game than he ever has before.

Yeah, no. He's a 1.

shitgoose
04-15-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm talking about Selby and referring to the people that said he'd play the 3. He's a 2 guard and a small one at that. My point was Xavier came to school and was built like a man. This kid is still built like a kid. Saying if they don't put some weight and muscle on him he's going to have a big learning curve once Big 12 play starts just like Henry did, but I see his talent shining through towards the end of the season the same way. That's why I said he will have problems with 3-4 year Big 12 players. Not saying he can't be great. Far from it.....just he's going to be the smallest guy on the floor and will be playing a much more physical game than he ever has before.

Selby is a PG. I haven't heard anyone say anything about Selby playing any position other than the point. Lamb is the one people have been speculating about playing either the 2 or the 3. He is listed at 6'4 but from what I understand is closer to 6'2.

teedubya
04-15-2010, 05:31 PM
If KU gets Selby, I will redact my comments about MU and KSU being better next year.

Pants
04-15-2010, 05:39 PM
If KU gets Selby, I will redact my comments about MU and KSU being better next year.

KU > MU even if get nobody else. LOL.

teedubya
04-15-2010, 05:40 PM
KU > MU even if get nobody else. LOL.

The Big XII North is gonna be very competitive next year, regardless.

GoHuge
04-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah, no. He's a 1.Sorry my bad. Just looked back through and somebody had posted a snippet about Lamb being a 2 or 3 and not Selby. Missed the all important headline saying LAMB instead of Selby. That's why I was like "how the hell can this kid play the wing in the Big 12?" Gohuge-backing away from the keyboard now..........

GoHuge
04-15-2010, 05:44 PM
The Big XII North is gonna be very competitive next year, regardless.No not really. Just KU, K State, And Mizzou.

Mr. Laz
04-15-2010, 05:52 PM
but will you cum?

hey, you're the one who set your own standard of reaction.

Mr. Plow
04-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Ok, what's the deal with saying what school you are going to at halftime of a game? I know it's an all star type game, but still....before or after seems like a better time.

Pants
04-15-2010, 06:33 PM
but will you cum?

hey, you're the one who set your own standard of reaction.

I will fucking come all over my shorts. You bet your ass.

TJR1486
04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I didnt see this anywhere, but is Selby considered a 1 and done?

Mr. Laz
04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I will fucking come all over my shorts. You bet your ass.
well folks ... a new bar level has been set.

NEXT!!!!!!!

the Talking Can
04-15-2010, 06:50 PM

it's possible, but he isn't considered a Wall-like lock to bolt...

and I don't think he's been as explicit as X was about wanting to leave asap

Pants
04-15-2010, 06:52 PM

He says he doesn't see himself as one and done. Also, there's a good chance NBA will go through a lockout next year as their CBA expires after this season.

Taken all that into account, though, I still believe he goes if NBA rolls as usual.

sedated
04-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Interestingly, Selby said he doesn't view himself as a Derrick Rose or a John Wall type of player.

"I don’t see myself as them, because right now, I don’t look at me as one-and-done," Selby said. "They were one-and-done in high school.

"That’s the way I humble myself. I think I lack everything. You’re always working on every part of your game."

teedubya
04-15-2010, 07:07 PM
I like that guys humble attitude. LEARN... most of these kids come out of high school thinking they know it all... this is refreshing. I like this kid already. Retire his jersey.

KCChiefsMan
04-15-2010, 07:30 PM
hell to the ya

HerculesRockefell
04-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Lamb is going to Kentucky and Jones is down to Kentucky, Washington, and Oregon.

Mr. Plow
04-16-2010, 11:04 AM
http://dimemag.com/2010/04/breaking-news-doron-lamb-headed-to-kentucky/

If you missed it on National Signing Day, John Calipari is rebuilding another monster at Kentucky. Right after five of his underclassmen went pro, he immediately landed Brandon Knight, the top senior PG in the country (http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/04/signing-day-kentucky-two-mid-majors-score-big/), and Michael Gilchrist, maybe the top player period in the 2011 junior class. In addition to them, Calipari has two blue chip commits in swingman Stacey Poole and Turkish big man Enes Kanter. It’s time to add one more. While All-American senior shooting guard Doron Lamb is formally announcing his decision tomorrow at the Jordan Brand Classic, we already know what it’s going to be. Doron Lamb is headed to Kentucky.

Choosing Kentucky over finalists Kansas, UConn, Arizona and West Virginia, we have confirmation from multiple sources that Lamb’s decision came down to the Wildcats and the Jayhawks, with him ultimately choosing to play next season in Lexington.

After the former Bishop Loughlin (Brooklyn, N.Y.) standout spent the last two seasons at Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.), the New York native is making the right decision to head to Kentucky. Calipari, along with assistants Rod Strickland and Orlando Antigua, are new York guys, and Strickland is also an Oak Hill alumnus. The three of them paid a visit to Lamb at school last week and also met with his parents in New York.

At 6-4, 185 pounds, Lamb will fit in perfectly alongside Knight in the backcourt – akin to Eric Bledsoe playing alongside John Wall. And depending on where the chips fall, he could also be playing with explosive guard Josh Selby, who will also be announcing his decision tomorrow at the Jordan Brand Classic

sedated
04-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Gotta think that Lamb going to Kuntucky helps send Selby to KU. While Selby might not have been concerned about sharing time with Knight, I would think it starts to get a little crowded with Knight and Lamb.

teedubya
04-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Calipari is a fuckhead. WTF is his doing to get all of these recruits?

Mr. Plow
04-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Calipari is a fuckhead. WTF is his doing to get all of these recruits?

The checks keep clearing the bank?

HerculesRockefell
04-16-2010, 11:22 AM
The checks keep clearing the bank?

His '11 class will be even better

sedated
04-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Calipari is a ****head. WTF is his doing to get all of these recruits?

They think he'll get them to the league after one year (which is true, since he essentially forces them out, a la Patterson and Orton). And they want playing time, which Kuntucky has plenty of since they lost 8 guys.

Mr. Plow
04-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Bill Self tweet......

Excited for the wkend. Big decisions to b made in NYC. Can't wait to finish up recruiting so my bad golf game can hopefully become average. 32 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/CoachBillSelf/status/12293180006) via Tweetie (http://www.atebits.com/)

Mr. Laz
04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
there was a story awhile back about Calipari's recruiting setup. He has his money men that go around and funnel cash from boosters to his recruits at every school he coaches. i forget the title of the story though ...

Calipari has also shown he can showoff players quick and get them to the league.

SithCeNtZ
04-16-2010, 12:58 PM
@RealJayWilliams Terrence Jones and Josh Selby are very close. Rumor is that now Terrence is highly considering going to #Kansas.

I would be absolutely amazed if this happens.

Mr. Plow
04-16-2010, 01:00 PM
@RealJayWilliams Terrence Jones and Josh Selby are very close. Rumor is that now Terrence is highly considering going to #Kansas.

Was just about to post this.

ArrowheadHawk
04-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Jay Williams don't know jack shit.

sedated
04-16-2010, 01:43 PM

JayW is about as reliable as throwing colored darts at pictures of players. He's already said Selby is headed to UK, then Tenn.

ChiefMojo
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Would love to believe it, but Jay Williams is HORRIBLE when it comes to recruiting lists. For gosh sakes he was all over the place and then some for the Mickey D's game when it came to kids lists.

With that said, I hope he is right not only about Selby, but about Terrence Jones. Jones has been described as Lamar Odom clone.

Mr. Plow
04-16-2010, 01:51 PM
JayW is about as reliable as throwing colored darts at pictures of players. He's already said Selby is headed to UK, then Tenn.

If he just throws out a bunch of schools he'll get it right eventually....

Pants
04-16-2010, 02:47 PM
If he just throws out a bunch of schools he'll get it right eventually....

Dude probably still thinks Josh's last name is Shelby.

Mr. Laz
04-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Dude probably still thinks Josh's last name is Shelby.
has commited to KU already

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008_ford_shelby_gt_convertible-thumb.jpg

ArrowheadHawk
04-16-2010, 03:05 PM
has commited to KU already

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008_ford_shelby_gt_convertible-thumb.jpgROFL

ArrowheadHawk
04-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Talk at Jordan Brand practice indicates good news coming for KU, Kentucky
Sources say KU no longer recruiting Lamb
By Jesse Newell

Photo by Nick Krug
Kansas recruit Josh Selby of Baltimore, right, slaps hands with ESPN analyst Jay Williams before getting on the bus after practice Friday, April 16, 2010, at The Sports Club/LA in New York City. Selby will play for the West team in the Jordan Brand Classic on Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York.
New York — Though official announcements won’t come until Saturday night, top basketball recruits Josh Selby and Doron Lamb are believed to be heading to different schools.

Media reports Friday said that Selby will most likely sign with Kansas University today, while Lamb will choose Kentucky.

Advertisement

In fact, sources close to KU’s basketball program indicated Friday night that the Jayhawks no longer were recruiting Lamb, a 6-foot-4 guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va.

ESPN analyst Jay Williams had this message on his Twitter account Friday: “Just heard from a little bird that chances are really good for Showtime Josh Selby (6-2 guard, Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High) to be in Lawrence, Kansas next year.”

Williams was at Friday’s Jordan Brand Classic practice and will be a part of ESPN2’s broadcast of Saturday's 7 p.m. game. Williams also spoke briefly with Selby before and after Friday’s practice. Neither Selby nor Lamb were made available for interviews Friday.

Sports Illustrated writer Luke Winn, who also has been at the Jordan Brand practices this week, also believes Selby — the No. 4 overall player according to Rivals.com — will become a Jayhawk.

“I would be stunned if he did not commit to Kansas (today),” Winn said. “I think it’s as close to done as you could (have).”

Several sources at the Jordan Brand practices told the Journal-World that, barring something unforeseen, Selby will choose KU.

On its Web site, Dime Magazine reported Friday afternoon that Lamb — the No. 21 overall player according to Rivals — would choose Kentucky.

Both Selby and Lamb will officially announce their decisions following first-half media timeouts during tonight’s game at Madison Square Garden.

If Selby, as expected, does choose KU, the Jayhawks could fill a vacancy in their backcourt with the loss of senior guard Sherron Collins.

“I’m not going to come in and say right away that kind of fills in the void of Sherron Collins. Sherron Collins was a great leader for that team, but it definitely helps,” Williams said. “I think Josh has potential to be a better player than Sherron because of his size and his scoring ability.

“You talk about their backcourt, between him and (KU guard) Tyshawn Taylor, I automatically have to put that in one of my top five backcourts.”

Williams first met Selby during the McDonald’s All-American weekend last month in Columbus, Ohio. While there, the two played a game of “HORSE.”

Selby won.

“The thing that really kind of stunned me about him is that I have really good range. I can shoot from about half court. ... And Josh’s range was from half court as well,” Williams said. “There wasn’t a push. Usually, when you see kids shoot from that far out, there’s a push on their shot. He was just stroking it like he was used to doing it, very much in his comfort range.”

Williams said the shooting accuracy makes Selby a dangerous player.

“So when a guard has range like that, how do you guard that?” Williams said. “Because he can dribble and he can drive to the basket. He’s strong, but then if you go under the screen, from regardless of where it is on the court, he can shoot from behind the screen.

“It just makes it that much more of a deadly combination.”

After seeing Selby’s athletic ability during the McDonald’s All-American dunk contest, Williams gave him the nickname of “Showtime Selby.”

Selby also impressed Williams during the McDonald’s All-American game.

“The one thing I can say about Josh is every possession, he was trying to lock up defensively. Every time he had the ball, he remained aggressive,” Williams said. “He attacked the rim. He’s a guy who can shoot.

“I just love that style of play, because I think it’s rare when you see somebody that constantly is in attack mode. That’s a gear that he has that can set himself apart from the rest of the crew.”

So how would Selby change KU’s outlook for next year?

Winn, who had KU ranked No. 11 in his 2011 preseason top 25, said Selby would push KU into his top 10.

“He and Tyshawn playing together, from what I’ve seen, they’d make a good combo,” Winn said. “It seems to me like Selby is the kind of player that Bill Self really likes. He’s a tough-minded guard. I think in Self’s mind, this might be an ultimate kind of combo on the perimeter. I think Selby really does fit the mold of a guard that Self can make thrive.”

Williams also believes Selby would have a significant impact at KU.

“It makes them so much more explosive,” Williams said. “Now you have two guys that can handle the ball and that can score. In my opinion, it maybe puts them back preseason top 10 (to) have another chance to win the Big 12 and win a national title.”

Selby’s official final list: KU, Kentucky, Tennessee, UConn, Arizona, Syracuse. Lamb’s official final list: Kentucky, UConn, Arizona and West Virginia.

l

Twitter talk: KU coach Self, who cannot comment on specific recruits, did say this Friday on his Twitter account: “Excited for the wkend. Big decisions to b made in NYC. Can't wait to finish up recruiting so my bad golf game can hopefully become average.”

This Twitter message was printed several hours before sources told the J-W that KU was no longer recruiting Lamb. This all is leading to speculation the Jayhawks may be stepping up their recruitment of No. 13-ranked Terrence Jones, 6-8, 220 pounds from Jefferson High in Portland, Ore. He reportedly would be interested in playing at the same school as Selby. However, on Friday, Jones in a text message to the Portland Oregonian newspaper said his final list consisted of Kentucky, Oregon, Washington, Oklahoma and UCLA.

ArrowheadHawk
04-16-2010, 07:21 PM
If KU got Jones and Selby that would be sick.

BWillie
04-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Jay Williams don't know jack shit.

They only let Jay Williams on TV because they still feel bad he was dumb enough to throw away his career by going full retard on his motorcycle. He just straight up guesses at shit, w/out any sources. We aren't getting Jones. Not gonna happen. I think we get Selby, and that is it. And that is fine by me.

ArrowheadHawk
04-16-2010, 09:42 PM
They only let Jay Williams on TV because they still feel bad he was dumb enough to throw away his career by going full retard on his motorcycle. He just straight up guesses at shit, w/out any sources. We aren't getting Jones. Not gonna happen. I think we get Selby, and that is it. And that is fine by me.
I don't expect to get Jones but if it happens Self will again be the man.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
04-16-2010, 09:44 PM
I don't expect to get Jones but if it happens Self will again be the man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, dude's been slipping, lately.

Lzen
04-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Anybody know if this game will be televised?

Pants
04-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Anybody know if this game will be televised?

The Douce at 7pm our time, I believe.

ArrowheadHawk
04-17-2010, 09:21 AM
The Douce at 7pm our time, I believe.
Already got the DVR set in case I'm out and about.

Silock
04-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah, dude's been slipping, lately.

Who, Self?

I wouldn't call having too many good players "slipping," but that's just me. He's brought in more talented recruits than Roy ever did.

Silock
04-17-2010, 09:52 AM

I'm not expecting Jones, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility. I'd rather have Jones than Lamb. But, as long as we get Selby, that's all that really matters.

ArrowheadHawk
04-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Now a Tenn message board is saying he will be Volunteer. Probably just a rumor. At least I hope.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-basketball/100464-tos-now-stating-selby-has-told.html

irishjayhawk
04-17-2010, 11:59 AM
I've always thought that if I were a player, I'd leak out where I wasn't going just to give so much more emphasis to "hat time".

BWillie
04-17-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/17/sports/ncaabasketball/17hoops.html?hpw

At the N.B.A. Players Association Camp in Charlottesville, Va., Selby was approached by William Wesley, an influential power broker in college basketball circles, after a game. Wesley, who is known as Worldwide Wes and now represents coaches in the N.B.A. and college ranks as an agent, asked Selby, “Can you play?”

Selby said, “Didn’t you just watch the last game?”

Selby walked away, and Wesley, put off by the affront, was introduced to Selby’s mother after a later game and told her that her son needed to watch his mouth because he did not realize who he was talking to. He also advised her to hire a track coach to help improve Selby’s speed.

“When he said his name, my face froze,” Witherspoon (Selby's Mom) said. “I was like, ‘You’re the infamous Wes. You’re the guy who everyone told me to stay away from.’ I had read all those pages about him being powerful in GQ.”

Mr_Tomahawk
04-17-2010, 12:04 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/17/sports/ncaabasketball/17hoops.html?hpw

At the N.B.A. Players Association Camp in Charlottesville, Va., Selby was approached by William Wesley, an influential power broker in college basketball circles, after a game. Wesley, who is known as Worldwide Wes and now represents coaches in the N.B.A. and college ranks as an agent, asked Selby, “Can you play?”

Selby walked away, and Wesley, put off by the affront, was introduced to Selby’s mother after a later game and told her that her son needed to watch his mouth because he did not realize who he was talking to. He also advised her to hire a track coach to help improve Selby’s speed.

“When he said his name, my face froze,” Witherspoon (Selby's Mom) said. “I was like, ‘You’re the infamous Wes. You’re the guy who everyone told me to stay away from.’ I had read all those pages about him being powerful in GQ.”

What am I suppose to take from this?

irishjayhawk
04-17-2010, 12:05 PM

WWW is a douchebag scum that the sport would be better without.

BWillie
04-17-2010, 12:05 PM

That WWW and Calipari's connections are scum. Calipari and Co know that Selby is not going to UK, and now they are resorting to childish tactics.

Mr. Laz
04-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I've always thought that if I were a player, I'd leak out where I wasn't going just to give so much more emphasis to "hat time".i've thought the same thing.

IF ... i was going to play that game i would never admit to be interested in the place i was really going at all.

come announcement time you shock the world by announcing some school that was never on "the list"

Pants
04-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Judging from Bill Self's comments this whole time, I'm feeling like Selby is ours, unless Josh decided to fuck Bill in his ass for some reason. I can't fathom why he would do that, though.

We'll see at half, I guess.

WilliamTheIrish
04-17-2010, 12:25 PM
WWW is just the Memphis/UK version of Doug Compton and Kurtis Towsend. Wes just does it more publicly.

Pants
04-17-2010, 12:27 PM
WWW is just the Memphis/UK version of Doug Compton and Kurtis Towsend. Wes just does it more publicly.

Neither Towsend nor Compton can offer kids shoe deals and endorsements at the next level.

And WWW has nothing to do with Memphis/UK and everything to do with Cal.

ArrowheadHawk
04-17-2010, 12:30 PM

:shake:

WilliamTheIrish
04-17-2010, 12:47 PM
:shake:

You're right. I forgot to add Don Davis. But I don't think you know much about any of them, hence the :headshake:

irishjayhawk
04-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Is this a TIC "stir the pot" comment or a serious comment?

Mr. Plow
04-17-2010, 01:25 PM

ROFL

Yes. They are exactly the same.

WilliamTheIrish
04-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Is this a TIC "stir the pot" comment or a serious comment?

Yes. They are exactly the same.

Tell me how they are different.

And I'm absolutely serious. Because you don't want to believe you could have a dirty recruiter on board and a guy like Compton hiring players parents, (Don Davis was removed after giving Darnell Jackson up to 10k), doesn't make it untrue.

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I suspect they have similar effects on their programs. Wesley has connections to the NBA/music industry that many others don't, however.

Mr. Laz
04-17-2010, 04:47 PM
<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" ">Colleges Wait to Hear Their Name Called by Elite Recruit</nyt_headline>
<nyt_byline> By KEVIN ARMSTRONG
</nyt_byline> Published: April 16, 2010
<!-- ADXINFO classification="button_120x60" campaign="foxsearch2010_emailtools_1225557c_nyt5"--> http://graphics8.nytimes.com/adx/images/ADS/22/84/ad.228459/justWright_120x60_animated.gif (http://www.nytimes.com/adx/bin/adx_click.html?type=goto&opzn&page=www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/sports/ncaabasketball&pos=Frame4A&sn2=c04337e6/be584397&sn1=724dcbb3/4956798a&camp=foxsearch2010_emailtools_1225557c_nyt5&ad=JustWright_120x60&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efoxsearchlight%2Ecom%2Fjustwright)
<nyt_text> <nyt_correction_top> </nyt_correction_top> BALTIMORE — Last Friday evening, Josh Selby, the nation’s most explosive high school guard yet to commit to a college, walked out the back door of Lake Clifton High School here with the Tennessee assistant Steve Forbes (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/f/malcolm_s_forbes_jr/index.html?inline=nyt-per). The two kept chatting as they approached a light-blue Mercedes-Benz with tinted windows. Selby, keys in hand, popped the trunk, threw sneakers in it and joked with Forbes. Selby said goodbye, and drove away. It was Selby’s last visit from a coach before making his college decision. </nyt_text>
<!--h--> Enlarge This Image (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:pop_me_up2%28%27http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/04/17/sports/17hoops_CA0.html%27,%2717hoops_CA0_html%27,%27width=361,height=580,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,resiza ble=yes%27%29)
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/04/17/sports/17hoops_CA0/17hoops_CA0-articleInline.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:pop_me_up2%28%27http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/04/17/sports/17hoops_CA0.html%27,%2717hoops_CA0_html%27,%27width=361,height=580,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,resiza ble=yes%27%29)
Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times
Josh Selby practicing for Saturday’s Jordan
Brand Classic at Madison Square Garden.

Enlarge This Image (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:pop_me_up2%28%27http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/04/17/sports/17hoopsB.html%27,%2717hoopsB_html%27,%27width=376,height=580,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,resizable=ye s%27%29)
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/04/17/sports/17hoopsB/17hoopsB-articleInline.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:pop_me_up2%28%27http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/04/17/sports/17hoopsB.html%27,%2717hoopsB_html%27,%27width=376,height=580,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,resizable=ye s%27%29)
Josh Selby with Robert Frazier,
one of his advisers.

Enlarge This Image (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:pop_me_up2%28%27http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/04/17/sports/17hoops_CA1.html%27,%2717hoops_CA1_html%27,%27width=346,height=580,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,resiza ble=yes%27%29)
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/04/17/sports/17hoops_CA1/17hoops_CA1-articleInline.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:pop_me_up2%28%27http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/04/17/sports/17hoops_CA1.html%27,%2717hoops_CA1_html%27,%27width=346,height=580,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,resiza ble=yes%27%29)
Jay Laprete/Associated Press
Josh Selby at the McDonald's All-American
dunk contest last month. He won the event.

“It’s not a fairy tale, but this has been surreal,” said Selby’s mother, Maeshon Witherspoon, who keeps photographs of her and Forbes on a wall in her room.
The demand for Selby has increased throughout the protracted recruiting process. With legs that double as trampolines, Selby has attacked the rim with ferocity while bouncing around to three high schools in four years. He originally committed to Tennessee but then in July chose to reopen the competition, which now includes a host of blue-chip programs: Kansas, Kentucky, Connecticut and Arizona.

On Saturday night, Selby’s whirlwind journey will finally come to an end when he announces his decision in his characteristically outsize way, on national television during the Jordan Brand Classic at Madison Square Garden.
It is the culmination of years of anticipation for a player who has dazzled coaches since he first took to the court and has attracted a bevy of suitors.
Lake Clifton Coach Herman Harried had long heard about Selby’s skills and first saw him play two years ago.

“Josh made it so hard for me to keep a straight face and composure,” he said. “He would give me a look after a dunk like, ‘How you like that?’ I would just turn away. I knew some of the stuff he was doing was outrageous.”

Selby said that Kansas Coach Bill Self joked that his whole staff would be fired if Selby did not sign with the Jayhawks. An Indiana fan wrote on his Facebook (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/facebook_inc/index.html?inline=nyt-org) page that he would slap his own mother to have Selby suit up for the Hoosiers. Runners for agents have called, sent e-mail messages and walked up to his mother at gyms. Witherspoon is currently taking online courses in sports management to better understand what is happening with her son.

“Now don’t take that to mean I’m trying to be an agent,” Witherspoon said.
Even though N.C.A.A. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_collegiate_athletic_assn/index.html?inline=nyt-org) rules forbid players to have agents, that has not stopped a host of would-be agents from trying with Selby. When inquiries became too much, Witherspoon said, friends recommended she speak with Robert Frazier, who goes by Bay and is the business manager for the Denver Nuggets (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/probasketball/nationalbasketballassociation/denvernuggets/index.html?inline=nyt-org) star Carmelo Anthony (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/a/carmelo_anthony/index.html?inline=nyt-per), who is also from Baltimore.

Witherspoon said she soon recognized Frazier from her elementary school, and now talks regularly with him. “Bay’s been a lifesaver; so glad we reconnected,” said Witherspoon, who previously worked as a manager at McDonald’s and the overnight supervisor at a Kmart. Later, she added: “He’s behind the scenes providing a place for us to meet with coaches and giving so much information. He don’t need us. To be honest, we need him.”

Frazier is just one example of the increasing role that advisers play in the recruitment of elite athletes. As long as there is no contract between the family and the adviser, the relationship hovers in a gray area where the N.C.A.A. has little say.

“It’s a new hustle in Baltimore,” Frazier said. “People think they can take a kid out for a meal or buy him something, but that’s not what I am about. I’ve had relationships with Carmelo and Josh since they’ve been young.”
When it came time for college recruiters to visit Selby, Witherspoon, who lives in a house with her mother, Pat, asked Frazier if she could host the college coaches at his home instead. Shortly after midnight on the first date that coaches could visit prospects in their homes, UConn (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/university_of_connecticut/index.html?inline=nyt-org) Coach Jim Calhoun (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/jim_calhoun/index.html?inline=nyt-per) and an assistant showed up at Frazier’s door.

“I was like, ‘Are you serious?’ ” Selby said. “I thought I was dreaming.”
Selby acknowledged Calhoun but quickly excused himself. He said he had class in the morning.

Frazier has promoted Selby on Twitter (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/twitter/index.html?inline=nyt-org), mentioning that he is going to see the guard, whose Twitter name is Misundastood32. He also posted that he attended Kansas’ game against Missouri in January and likened it to the atmosphere that Anthony enjoyed in his year at Syracuse. The Jayhawks are considered the favorites to land Selby.

“Bay and I are just two goofballs getting along,” Selby said.

At the N.B.A. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_basketball_association/index.html?inline=nyt-org) Players Association Camp in Charlottesville, Va., Selby was approached by William Wesley, an influential power broker (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/05/sports/basketball/05wesley.html?scp=1&sq=worldwide%20wes&st=cse) in college basketball circles, after a game. Wesley, who is known as Worldwide Wes and now represents coaches in the N.B.A. and college ranks as an agent, asked Selby, “Can you play?”

“When he said his name, my face froze,” Witherspoon said. “I was like, ‘You’re the infamous Wes. You’re the guy who everyone told me to stay away from.’ I had read all those pages about him being powerful in GQ (http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/200706/william-wesley-worldwide-wes-nba-basketball).”

Witherspoon said Wesley recently called to congratulate her son on winning the McDonald’s All-American dunk contest last month.

As a single mother, Witherspoon said she had done all that she could to help educate her son. She attributes most of the ups and downs of his development to her own trial-and-error approach to life. Selby said he had seen drug transactions and a pistol-whipping in his East Baltimore neighborhood.

“Deaths here make us look like the L.A. Lakers (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/probasketball/nationalbasketballassociation/losangeleslakers/index.html?inline=nyt-org),” Witherspoon said. “Back-to-back-to-back.”

Selby has spent most of his time on basketball courts, like the legendary playground called The Dome with a tin roof over an open concrete court with barbecue grills on the sideline. When he explodes on the court, fans have said he is “frying” the competition. On the steps outside his apartment, he has done so many toe raises that he said he “feels like I could use a wheelchair because I’m crippled.” Endurance is not a problem. He ran cross-country in the fall for the first time, and wears a tattoo that reads “Brothers Dat Ball all Day.”

“I never said he was an English major,” Witherspoon said.

There has been at least one teacher who helped Selby through his development. His name is Scottie Bowden and he was a principal at Golden Ring Middle School when Selby was a student. He then coached him with the Baltimore Select team, which he helped found in 1992.

Bowden has remained a supporter, offering advice and sometimes allowing Selby to drive his Mercedes-Benz.

“He told me he’s going to get me a Benz when he makes the N.B.A.,” said Bowden, who is now a coach with Anthony’s team, Team Melo. “I told him that’s not what this is about. I’m not in this for gain. I’m in it to see him succeed.”

Saulbadguy
04-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Absolutely hilarious to hear any ku fan bitch about "dirty" recruiting. Wow.

sedated
04-17-2010, 05:14 PM
I want to get this night overwith. If we miss out on Selby, Lamb, Jones, and everyone else, I'm gonna be pretty pissed. This recruiting class is so important because of the possible NBA lockout; one-and-dones may be forced into a 2nd year.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Is there anywhere online to watch this whole ordeal?

Mr_Tomahawk
04-17-2010, 06:05 PM
NM....its on ESPN2

Silock
04-17-2010, 06:05 PM
ESPN3?

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I want to get this night overwith. If we miss out on Selby, Lamb, Jones, and everyone else, I'm gonna be pretty pissed. This recruiting class is so important because of the possible NBA lockout; one-and-dones may be forced into a 2nd year.
I've stayed out of the whole recruiting rumor stuff this year...it makes things easier to take.

ChiefMojo
04-17-2010, 06:13 PM
I still have hope he is going to KU, but I have a bad feeling it will be Tennessee in the end. Hope I'm wrong.

Silock
04-17-2010, 06:16 PM
He mentioned UT last in the list... Lamb listed UK last. Hrm...

Silock
04-17-2010, 06:18 PM
TheShiver.com just officially called Selby to KU.

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:19 PM
He mentioned UT last in the list... Lamb listed UK last. Hrm...
Somehow I don't think it means anything.

Silock
04-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Somehow I don't think it means anything.

I know. I just wanted to be Chicken Little for a minute.

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:20 PM
TheShiver.com just officially called Selby to KU.
Should I trust them?

As I understand it, aren't they like the WPI of NCAA basketball?

Silock
04-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Jesus Christ, Jimmy Dykes is a stupid motherfucker. "Memphis has the best fans in the NCAA!"

Really? REALLY?

Saulbadguy
Should I trust them?

He's a fucking jackass but he is most likely correct.

Silock
Should I trust them?

I don't know. They got X right. Not too much longer to wait for the HAT.

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Is he going to pull hats? That's always amusing.

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Selby is a showtime player...

Silock
04-17-2010, 06:24 PM
More and more sources are calling Selby to KU now.

Mr_Tomahawk
Selby putting on a show right now....announcers can't get enough of him.

Mr_Tomahawk
Selby to announce after next commercial break...

KC_Connection
ahhhhhh

Silock
04-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Dear God... Selby is SICK.

Silock
04-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Here we go...

Mr_Tomahawk
04-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Here comes the announcement...

Saulbadguy
04-17-2010, 06:28 PM
RealJayWilliams Josh Selby is a lock for #Kansas!

Mr_Tomahawk
04-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Selby going to KU.

Silock
YES!

Mr. Laz
Selby to KU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr_Tomahawk
04-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Is anyone else suppose to announce?

KC_Connection
We're going to the 'ship.

Silock
Well, that's a relief. We could still potentially get Terrance Jones, but it's not anywhere near as likely as KU. I'm happy with just Selby, though.

Pants
BOOYAKA! BOOYAKA!

Silock
04-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Is anyone else suppose to announce?

Doron Lamb, but we pulled our offer to him.

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Jay Williams says Terrance Jones is a possibility...ahhhhh.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Doron Lamb, but we pulled our offer to him.

Why come?

Announcers are talking about Selby's and Terrance's relationship and saying that this increases the chances of Terrance landing at KU.

Silock
04-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Well, Jones IS a possibility, but it's a long shot. Always has been. Having Selby here helps a TON, though. I think Self knew something was up, though. He said it was going to be a big weekend for us. That leaves Jones in the mix.

We pulled our offer to Lamb because he's going to UK, and because we wanted a schollie available for Jones.

Pants
04-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Man, I don't even give a fuck about anyone else. Josh is the only one I wanted. Fuck yeah, I'm more excited about this than I was about X. I <3 Maeshon Witherspoon.

And not like it matters much, but I won't be surprised to see Josh get the Rivals #1 when everything is said and done. As far as I'm concerned, he's the #2 player in this class behind Harrison Barnes.

ArrowheadHawk
04-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Awesome! Expectations for next year just went thru the roof.
Posted via Mobile Device

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:38 PM
This is my starting lineup:

PG: Selby
SG: Tyshawn
SF: Releford
PF: Marcus
C: Markieff

Bench:
PG: Elijah
SG: Reed, Morningstar, Henry
SF: Little
PF: TRob
C: Withey

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Elijah really should have redshirted last year, eh.

sedated
04-17-2010, 06:41 PM
hell to the f**kin' yeah!!!

sedated
04-17-2010, 06:42 PM

perhaps, but he will play a major role this year. at this point, I hope he sees more time than Point Plankn

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:43 PM
perhaps, but he will play a major role this year. at this point, I hope he sees more time than Point Plankn
No idea who you mean, but I'm guessing Tyshawn.

Pants
04-17-2010, 06:43 PM

Man, I feel really bad for the kid. But then again, he'll probably get a good amount of minutes playing both 1 and 2. His perimeter game is probably not any worse than TyTay's.

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Well...people thought Elijah would get a lot of minutes last year, and then Morningstar/Reed took them all. I wouldn't be that surprised if it happens again, but I hope not.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-17-2010, 06:46 PM
jebus...it's hard understand the announcers with Josh's cock in their mouth...

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 06:46 PM
I think Selby becomes option #1 offensively for the Jayhawks immediately, other than maybe Marcus Morris.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-17-2010, 06:47 PM
I want the most focused players on the floor for us...

Pants
04-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Well...people thought Elijah would get a lot of minutes last year, and then Morningstar/Reed took them all. I wouldn't be that surprised if it happens again, but I hope not.

That's what you get when you can't defend. Hopefully he's been learning.

ArrowheadHawk
04-17-2010, 06:48 PM
It's Showtime.
Posted via Mobile Device

Al Czervik
04-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Excellent job Coach....
This kid looks like the total package....

ChiefMojo
04-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Took me awhile to come down from the high, but I'm still alive and breathing. Thank God he went to Kansas!!!

the Talking Can
04-17-2010, 06:58 PM
SWEET

love it

sedated
04-17-2010, 07:03 PM
No idea who you mean, but I'm guessing Tyshawn.

yes, tyshawn. that guy has been so inconsistent and has no really valuable tools other than finishing on the break (which might be a bigger factor now that we lost Aldrich).

EJ showed some skills in the few minutes he played, and I wish he got more time last year. Self kinda painted himself into a corner by benching EJ and going exclusively with TT the second half of the year.

sedated
04-17-2010, 07:04 PM
I think Selby becomes option #1 offensively for the Jayhawks immediately, other than maybe Marcus Morris.

the #1 option is always the guy inside. add to that Self's comments that McMorris could be the best player in the league next year, and the writing is on the wall.

I'm looking forward to seeing the unknowns: EJ, T-Rob, Releford, CJ, Withey, and Woolrdige, along with Selby.

F**k summer, I want it to be November tomorrow.

doomy3
04-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Fucking great news. This made my weekend.

Mr. Laz
04-17-2010, 07:20 PM
i thought someone else was supposed to announce tonight too.

lamb?

Pants
04-17-2010, 07:21 PM
i thought someone else was supposed to announce tonight too.

lamb?

He will announce tonight. He's going to UK.

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 07:23 PM
yes, tyshawn. that guy has been so inconsistent and has no really valuable tools other than finishing on the break (which might be a bigger factor now that we lost Aldrich).

Except for his vision and passing ability which could prove to be very valuable on a team without a true PG (something that Selby really isn't, he's more of a scorer).

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 07:28 PM
the #1 option is always the guy inside. add to that Self's comments that McMorris could be the best player in the league next year, and the writing is on the wall.

Selby is going to be a very hard player to control in that way, IMO, but I guess that's why he's Bill Self.

DeezNutz
04-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Selby is going to be a very hard player to control in that way, IMO, but I guess that's why he's Bill Self.

Watching this game tonight, Selby is a very gifted offensive player. With an athletic and improved Morris, KU is going to have two high-quality options on the offensive end.

But Selby is going to be option #1, I'd have to agree.

teedubya
04-17-2010, 11:35 PM
This is my starting lineup:

Bench:

Bench:

Is probably closer to how it works out.

KC_Connection
04-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Bench:

Is probably closer to how it works out.

That was my preferential lineup, not the most likely.

teedubya
04-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Little starts... his senior leadership and passion will be very valuable next year

BWillie
04-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Should I trust them?

After a couple years, I have to say the shiver is a real good site. They usually get it right. Like they did this time.

BWillie
04-18-2010, 12:18 AM
I don't think Little starts over Releford. From all accounts close to the program, Releford has pulled a Marcus Morris and has been lighting people up offensively in practice. I think Reed or Morningstar has a better chance to start than Little.

It'll be

Selby
Taylor
Releford
Morris
Morris

Now, what will happen if we land Terrence Jones? I have no f*cking clue. If I was Little I'd probably blow my brains out if we signed Terrence Jones though. Jones has opened up his recruiting and is now including KU. He has one visit left, and it sounds like he might take it to KU. Video of his interview after the game below

http://theshiver.com/2010/04/terrence-jones-speaks-after-the-jordan-brands-classic/

KC_Connection
04-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Little starts... his senior leadership and passion will be very valuable next year

Releford has more potential and should be a much better scorer. I don't know how to measure passion and leadership, but I'm certain he can exude those things on the bench.

ArrowheadHawk
04-18-2010, 06:17 AM
If ku were to land jones that would be sick.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCChiefsMan
04-18-2010, 08:25 AM
this is great!!!!

we have a lot of young talent on this team!

DJay23
04-18-2010, 08:39 AM
I don't think Little starts over Releford. From all accounts close to the program, Releford has pulled a Marcus Morris and has been lighting people up offensively in practice. I think Reed or Morningstar has a better chance to start than Little.

It'll be

Selby
Taylor
Releford
Morris
Morris

Now, what will happen if we land Terrence Jones? I have no f*cking clue. If I was Little I'd probably blow my brains out if we signed Terrence Jones though. Jones has opened up his recruiting and is now including KU. He has one visit left, and it sounds like he might take it to KU. Video of his interview after the game below

http://theshiver.com/2010/04/terrence-jones-speaks-after-the-jordan-brands-classic/

I agree with this starting 5. All accounts are that Jones wants to play a role similar to JuJu. Where does that fit in? I think Self would have to be very clear with the kid that he's got to beat out Releford and Little for the 3 if that's what he wants. Which I'm sure Self would do. If he commits after that then welcome aboard.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Meh ... Lamb sucks, we didn't want him retarded ass anyway. :harumph:

DeezNutz
04-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Meh ... Lamb sucks, we didn't want him retarded ass anyway. :harumph:

LMAO.

Funny slip.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2010, 08:56 AM
LMAO.

Funny slip.
hehe

i added the "retarded ass anyway" part at the last minute and as usual my fingers didn't keep up with my brain. :cuss:

ArrowheadHawk
04-18-2010, 10:22 AM
You sound like a Kuntucky fan on Selby.
Posted via Mobile Device

baitism
04-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Good pickup for KU. I do think that barring an NBA work stoppage or injury he is definitely and one and done.

teedubya
04-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I think Jones is coming to KU, also. If that happens, oh boy.

Pants
04-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I think Jones is coming to KU, also. If that happens, oh boy.

I highly doubt it. And I'm totally cool with that.

Pants
04-18-2010, 01:05 PM
P.S. We have THIS dude red-shirting next year. Feels good to be a KU fan, LOL!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDB2GPpN-oE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDB2GPpN-oE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2OjD_ux4RM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2OjD_ux4RM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mr. Plow
04-18-2010, 01:48 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/2011639398_terrence_jones_4.html

Terrence Jones To Visit Kansas; Oregon Strikes Out Again

Posted by Percy Allen (http://search.nwsource.com/search?searchtype=cq&sort=date&from=ST&source=ST&byline=Percy%20Allen)
After Saturday's Jordan Brand Classic, UW recruit Terrence Jones said he plans to visit to Kansas (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/apr/18/terrence-jones-interested-kansas-visit/?sports) because his friend Josh Selby committed to the Jayhawks.

Jones still has an official visit remaining and has told others his final five still includes Kentucky, Oregon, UCLA, Oklahoma and Washington. He also said he wants to make a decision no later than April 30.

It also should be noted Terrence Ross, Jones childhood friend and high-profile recruit, also has Kansas, Washington, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Oregon on his final five list.

Washington and Kansas have just one scholarship remaining.
Ross told me last week, he plans to visit Kentucky, Oklahoma and Washington.

ArrowheadHawk
04-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Poor Oregon.

Reerun_KC
04-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Getting Jones to come on board with Selby and KU will be (always are) the favorite to win the Big 12 AGAIN.....

Not a bad start to the offseason.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2010, 05:47 PM
If Jones has changed his last official visit from Oregon to KU then that is a pretty strong indication, isn't it?

Pants
04-18-2010, 07:29 PM
If Jones has changed his last official visit from Oregon to KU then that is a pretty strong indication, isn't it?

It's a strong indication that he won't go to Oregon. Besides, he hasn't scheduled shit yet, he was just talking to the Shiver after the Jordan Classic saying all these things, who knows if he's actually going to do it.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2010, 07:38 PM
It's a strong indication that he won't go to Oregon. Besides, he hasn't scheduled shit yet, he was just talking to the Shiver after the Jordan Classic saying all these things, who knows if he's actually going to do it.
party pooper :harumph:

ArrowheadHawk
04-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Jones would be awesome but I am happy with what we have now. Jones would be gravy.

Mr. Plow
04-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Just saw at phog.net that this kid is going to be committing sometime soon.....possibly to KU.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4193070

irishjayhawk
04-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Just saw at phog.net that this kid is going to be committing sometime soon.....possibly to KU.

How many schollies do we have free for next year?

Mr. Plow
04-19-2010, 10:04 AM

With nobody leaving, I believe 3 or 4.

Mr. Plow
04-19-2010, 10:10 AM

Here is a chart that someone over at phog.net made up. Doesn't have Selby on there yet.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/isujhawk/kubbschol040710.jpg?t=1270697337

sedated
04-19-2010, 10:22 AM
If, big if, we get Jones, that means another bench year for Withey.

SithCeNtZ
04-19-2010, 10:37 AM

I'm not going to be real thrilled if we take his commitment. His scouting reports all indicate he is a borderline KU guy, and you simply don't want to take those commitments years early.

Mr. Laz
04-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I wonder what Mario Little is gonna look like next year ... he has potential.

DaWolf
04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm not going to be real thrilled if we take his commitment. His scouting reports all indicate he is a borderline KU guy, and you simply don't want to take those commitments years early.

Then why offer early?

sedated
04-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I wonder what Mario Little is gonna look like next year ... he has potential.

Self kept the unknowns under wraps last year. Releford, Little, EJ, Robinson, Withey, and CJ didn't see much of the court, so who knows how they will look next year. Other than the 5 juniors and seniors, the entire team is an unknown.

Mr. Plow
04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/apr/21/aau-coach-praises-texas-sophomore/

AAU coach praises sophomore from Plano, Texas
By Gary Bedore (http://www2.ljworld.com/staff/gary_bedore/)
April 21, 2010

Kansas University’s basketball program today hopes to land an oral commitment from Zach Peters, a 6-foot-9, 235-pound sophomore forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas.

He’s a 16-year-old who has the strong recommendation of Team Texas AAU coach Wes Grandstaff, who has tutored numerous major-college standouts, including KU’s own Darrell Arthur and Keith Langford.

“Zach is real strong, probably similar to a Tyler Hansbrough-type kid,” said Grandstaff, who is in his first season as Peters’ AAU coach. “He can shoot it, play inside/out. He’s a tough matchup because he can shoot. If bigger guys come out on him, he can attack the basket. He’s a good defender and a great rebounder. For his size, he’s very mobile and athletic.”
Peters takes pride in controlling the glass.

“You aren’t going to move him off the block unless you foul him,” Grandstaff said of Peters, who at 2:40 p.m. today in a ceremony at his high school will announce for either KU, Texas, North Carolina or Kentucky. KU is considered the front-runner.

“Zach is a kid you don’t want to make mad. He has a mean streak in him,” Grandstaff added, referring to intensity in defending and chasing down rebounds.

Peters averaged 15.3 points and 9.0 rebounds his sophomore season for Texas’ Class 5A state champs.

“He can shoot the three. He shoots 500 threes a day. He works hard,” Grandstaff said, noting Peters has even hit the weights at a young age.
“I’m not sure I’ve seen a kid his age as strong and defined as he is muscular-wise,” Grandstaff said. “Most kids his age are trying to get rid of baby fat. Not Zach.”

Peters is a a year older than many prep sophomores. According to Dime Magazine, Zach repeated the eighth grade. After Zach dislocated his hip in a Jet Ski mishap while on a family vacation in Cancun, his parents decided to home-school Zach and his brother, Evan, with the help of tutors. The mature youngster has made several unofficial trips to colleges with his parents and today is ready to make his college choice with two seasons of high school remaining.

“He has been real proactive about going out and researching and checking out schools on trips,” Grandstaff said. Peters attended the KU-Nebraska game last February in Allen Fieldhouse.

“You go to KU and go to the right game and KU sells itself. I took Darrell Arthur at a very young age to KU. You go to Midnight Madness or something, see people camping out, that makes a great impression on kids.”

Of course, Zach also heard a lot about KU from his grandmother, who hails from Topeka.

“They are keeping it pretty hush-hush. I have a feeling it’ll be Kansas,” Grandstaff said. “I haven’t been told that, but I have the feeling it’s Kansas. I love coach (Bill) Self. He has that great personality and works his butt off.”

Julius Randle, a 6-8 freshman forward, is also a major college prospect from Prestonwood Christian Academy who has KU on his early list of schools.

Recruiting: Rivals.com reports that KU coach Self this week has checked in on Peters, as well as Perry Ellis, a 6-8 sophomore from Wichita Heights and Ben McLemore, a 6-5 junior from Eskridge High in St. Louis. McLemore’s St. Eagles AAU team will compete at the Jayhawk Invitational, April 30-May 2 at Horejsi Center, Haskell and some other gyms around town. Ellis will be playing at the Jayhawk Invite for Pray and Play Players.

SithCeNtZ
04-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Then why offer early?

To get in on his best friend a team mate who happens to be a top 5 talent in the 2013 class?

Pants
04-21-2010, 11:21 AM
I'll take him. Not like he needs a scholarship either, his daddy is a big CEO gazillioner, isn't he?

ArrowheadHawk
04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Early commits are good.

ArrowheadHawk
04-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Scout is saying Peters to KU.

http://kansas.scout.com/a.z?s=172&p=9&c=8&toinid=365&cfg=bb&yr=2012

Mr. Plow
04-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Uhhh....holy shit. Didn't think he would even visit. Gotta be looking decent for KU with his decision next week. I'm not holding my breath, but this has to be a little bit more good news for KU.

http://theshiver.com/2010/04/jones-to-visit-kansas/

In an email to TheShiver.com early Friday afternoon Linda Mashia-Jones, the mother of the #9 ranked player in the ESPNU 100, Terrence Jones (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=63851&season=2010), announced that Jones will visit the University of Kansas this Sunday.

“I thought I would let you know Terrence will be taking an official visit to Kansas this Sunday,” Mashia-Jones said in her email.

Mashia-Jones added that she will not be joining Terrence in Lawrence on Sunday.

As TheShiver.com first reported almost a month ago, talk between Jones and Kansas started up after Jones and recent Kansas commit, Josh Selby (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=44124&season=2010), spent time together during the week of the McDonald’s All American game. Shortly after the Jordan Brands Classic this past weekend in New York, Selby hinted that if Jones were to visit Kansas – Jones would likely end up a Jayhawk

the Talking Can
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
imagine pulling 2 top 10 players like that...Self is on it

Mr. Plow
04-23-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/apr/23/terrence-jones-take-official-visit-ku-sunday/

Terrence Jones, a 6-foot-8 forward from Portland, Ore., has set an official visit to Kansas University on Sunday, Terrence's mother, Linda, told Rivals.com Friday.

Jones, who is the 13th-ranked player according to Rivals, will choose a school on April 30. He has Kentucky, Oklahoma, Oregon, UCLA, Washington, Arizona and Kansas on his list.

"This is obviously a huge development for (KU) coach (Bill) Self, coach (Kurtis) Townsend and Kansas," said recruiting analyst Shay Wildeboor of Jayhawkslant.com. "They conducted an in-home visit in September. From that point on, Terrence visited several other schools, but hadn't made it to Kansas.

"He is coming in Sunday through Tuesday and is an absolute difference-maker. He's an inside/outside guy who could step in right away and immediately impact the rotation."

Following Saturday's Jordan Brand Classic game in New York City, Jones told the Journal-World that he wanted to visit Lawrence before deciding on a college.

“Hopefully, I will get that done,” Jones said Saturday. “I have one official visit left. I want to use it.”

Jones and recent KU signee Josh Selby have been friends since meeting at the Nike Hoops Jamboree a few years back.

“He’s anxious for me to join him (at KU),” Jones said Saturday. “He feels it would be best for both of us. Possibly, we could do great things there.

Mr. Plow
04-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Fuck it. That deserves it's own thread.

Mr. Laz
04-23-2010, 01:46 PM

HA!!!

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/a...sit-ku-sunday/ (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/apr/23/terrence-jones-take-official-visit-ku-sunday/)

Terrence Jones, a 6-foot-8 forward from Portland, Ore., has set an official visit to Kansas University on Sunday, Terrence's mother, Linda, told Rivals.com Friday.

Mr. Plow
04-23-2010, 02:10 PM
HA!!!

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/a...sit-ku-sunday/ (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/apr/23/terrence-jones-take-official-visit-ku-sunday/)

Re....to the mutha fuckin'....post.

Mr. Laz
04-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Re....to the mutha fuckin'....post.i'm giving Metro shit ... i even responded in the other thread. :rolleyes:

Mr. Plow
04-23-2010, 02:13 PM
i'm giving Metro shit ... i even responded in the other thread. :rolleyes:

Still a repost....in the same thread.....only 2 posts apart. :D

Pants
04-23-2010, 03:35 PM
i'm giving Metro shit ... i even responded in the other thread. :rolleyes:

Do you even know how happy I am to be wrong? :D

I don't know if I can take it if we land Jones. ****ing Selby, Berry, Jones and possibly Clausen... my balls are going to be dry for months to come.

Mr. Plow
04-29-2010, 05:05 PM
New Rivals #1.....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-1909

Mr. Laz
04-29-2010, 05:07 PM
New Rivals #1.....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-1909Repost, Bitch :moon:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227454

Mr. Plow
04-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Repost, Bitch :moon:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227454

LMAO