PDA

View Full Version : Pioli and Dimitroff

philfree
04-16-2010, 09:24 AM
I could see another trade with the Falons since we have their 2nd round pick and I'm sure they'd like to get it back. #36 + #50 are more than the value of the #19 pick which they hold. Best case scenario would be for us to trade with Cleveland and then make that pick at #7 then picking up another 2nd rounder. We could use that pick and #36 to make the trade up to pick who ever it is we want and still have 4 picks in the top 50. I think since Pioli and Dimitroff are friends something like this could happen and because we're trading with an NFC team it's even more attractive.

PhilFree:arrow:

The Bad Guy
04-16-2010, 09:48 AM
The best case scenario is taking Eric Berry.

philfree
04-16-2010, 09:53 AM

It could be but I'm not 100% convinced that it is. If we ended up with Haden and Graham then that might be better.

philfree
04-16-2010, 09:57 AM
It could be but I'm not 100% convinced that it is. If we ended up with Haden and Graham then that might be better.

Both those guys have positional value over Berry adn they both could be every bit as good as Berry in the NFL or even better.

Coogs
04-16-2010, 10:00 AM

Alternate best case scenario is a new QB.

Most likely scenario is Cassel is going to get a bunch of new toys surrounding him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Your best case scenario (long term) is probably this:

2010: Eric Berry
2011: A.J. Green
2012: Blaine Gabbert

But that's about 30,000:1

Realistically we have to work with what we can control.

IMO, best case scenario (this year) is:

1. Getting Clausen at 7 and picking up another pick (probably just a 3rd and 4th, TBH)
2. Using the third to move back into the first to get a pass rusher or Mays
3. Using the 4th to draft a right tackle or center
4. Using every other pick on defense, save for possibly getting a slot receiver with our original third.

The Franchise
04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Best case scenario this year......

Berry at #5
Trading back into the first round to grab a falling Clausen.
Green or Floyd in 2011.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Your best case scenario (long term) is probably this:

2010: Eric Berry
2011: A.J. Green
2012: Blaine Gabbert

Best. Case. Scenario. Ever.

Realistically we have to work with what we can control.

IMO, best case scenario (this year) is:

1. Getting Clausen at 7 and picking up another pick (probably just a 3rd and 4th, TBH)
2. Using the third to move back into the first to get a pass rusher or Mays
3. Using the 4th to draft a right tackle or center
4. Using every other pick on defense, save for possibly getting a slot receiver with our original third.

It's like you go from epiphany to mongoloid in .03 seconds.

Berry, Green and Gabbert to Clausen and Mays? It's like getting kissed by Megan Fox, then a half a second later she knees you in the balls.

talastan
04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
It's like getting kissed by Megan Fox, then a half a second later she knees you in the balls.

And when do we start training for that? :drool:

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:u46W54dkkl45UM::2.bp.blogspot.com/_VcyT-Z1nDcU/SO4aq9W-O_I/AAAAAAAAAOs/6U9uJvAdoSw/s400/steve%25252Bbuscemi%25252Barmageddon.JPG&h=78&w=111&usg=__O07m0nYpR-HX-pkelpJ_U2IxjhY=

Mojo Jojo
04-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but when one of the best two safeties in team history was a free agent punter in camp I find hard to believe that is a position worth the number 5 pick.

Mojo Jojo
04-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Maybe it's just me, but when one of the best two safeties in team history was a free agent punter in camp I find hard to believe that is a position worth the number 5 pick.

I forgot to post that the other best safety in team history was drafted as a running back.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Not only team history, but Deron Cherry is considered one of the finest free safeties to have played in the NFL. And remember, he got cut by the team his first go round. (And he wasn't just a punter. He was also a pretty good safety in college as well. He was a bit like Jared Allen. He got picked up by the Chiefs because he offered some versatility (rumor has it that the only reason Carl consented to drafting Allen was that he could long snap and if/when he didn't cut it at the DE spot, he could still be a viable special teams player) and just ended up being pretty darn good at one of those positions.

However, this is the case with just about every position on the field. You can find cases of Hall of Fame/All-Pro/Pro Bowl level guys who were undrafted free agents who ended up being excellent at their position. Quarterbacks, running backs, etc. Heck, the Chiefs are prime examples of that - Priest Holmes, Brian Waters (who was originally an UDFA fullback) to go along with guys like Cherry and Allen.

I really don't like the argument "You can find players at those positions later in the draft." because it applies to every single position on the field.

Berry is a stud. But that's not to say that other safeties in this draft who will be picked in the later rounds don't have the capability of becoming high level players. The draft is about picking the best player possible at positions of team need early on, and then hoping like hell that your scouts and front office are smart and insightful enough to find those gems in the rough at a number of positions later in the draft or in free agency.

Chiefs have a definite need at the safety spots. Berry is considered the best safety in the draft by most pundits. It's really not a bad pick by the Chiefs regardless of the position having lower perceived positional value versus other positions.

Mojo Jojo
04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Not only team history, but Deron Cherry is considered one of the finest free safeties to have played in the NFL. And remember, he got cut by the team his first go round. (And he wasn't just a punter. He was also a pretty good safety in college as well. He was a bit like Jared Allen. He got picked up by the Chiefs because he offered some versatility (rumor has it that the only reason Carl consented to drafting Allen was that he could long snap and if/when he didn't cut it at the DE spot, he could still be a viable special teams player) and just ended up being pretty darn good at one of those positions.

However, this is the case with just about every position on the field. You can find cases of Hall of Fame/All-Pro/Pro Bowl level guys who were undrafted free agents who ended up being excellent at their position. Quarterbacks, running backs, etc. Heck, the Chiefs are prime examples of that - Priest Holmes, Brian Waters (who was originally an UDFA fullback) to go along with guys like Cherry and Allen.

I really don't like the argument "You can find players at those positions later in the draft." because it applies to every single position on the field.

Berry is a stud. But that's not to say that other safeties in this draft who will be picked in the later rounds don't have the capability of becoming high level players. The draft is about picking the best player possible at positions of team need early on, and then hoping like hell that your scouts and front office are smart and insightful enough to find those gems in the rough at a number of positions later in the draft or in free agency.

Chiefs have a definite need at the safety spots. Berry is considered the best safety in the draft by most pundits. It's really not a bad pick by the Chiefs regardless of the position having lower perceived positional value versus other positions.

I agree the Chiefs need a safety, but history in the NFL shows that safety is not usually just a stud position, but also a mental position. The Chiefs have too may needs to go for a stud at a non-stud position. Just my opinion.

FYI...Carl and the rest of the NFL passed on Allen several times, and yes his long snapping was his upside; however Carl also wanted Allen because he won the Buck B. award for best small college d-lineman. Another Carl PR move.

philfree
04-16-2010, 01:17 PM
I could see another trade with the Falons since we have their 2nd round pick and I'm sure they'd like to get it back. #36 + #50 are more than the value of the #19 pick which they hold. Best case scenario would be for us to trade with Cleveland and then make that pick at #7 then picking up another 2nd rounder. We could use that pick and #36 to make the trade up to pick who ever it is we want and still have 4 picks in the top 50. I think since Pioli and Dimitroff are friends something like this could happen and because we're trading with an NFC team it's even more attractive.

And with Phil Emery involved too. All these guys are buds.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 01:21 PM
I agree the Chiefs need a safety, but history in the NFL shows that safety is not usually just a stud position, but also a mental position. The Chiefs have too may needs to go for a stud at a non-stud position. Just my opinion.

Agree. The safety, being the last line of defense, can't make any mistakes and needs to place themselves in the best position possible in order to support the play. They need to be fundamentally sound. And I've said before that the safety position basically caps itself in terms of production/statistics. Look at all the best safeties in the league and the numbers are virtually identical. It's why I like a guy like Darrell Stuckey or Robert Johnson in this draft nearly as much as I do Eric Berry.

However, looking at this draft and the Chiefs pick at #5, I don't know if there is another guy out there that justifies that high of a pick in terms of being that "generational" level talent. Berry has the instincts and athleticism to play any position in the defensive backfield, and that versatility is important in todays NFL where the defense is seeing multiple sets and formations from an offense from the traditional I-back pro set to the Wildcat. A guy like Berry can matchup with anything that the offense might pull out and has the speed and skill set to make immediate adjustments to any and everything.

Personally, for the Chiefs, I would rather have Russell Okung which would facilitate Albert moving to left guard and giving the Chiefs an amazing left side of the line for the next decade. But I'm not going to complain if Berry is the pick. They very much need safety help and he's a good one.

FYI...Carl and the rest of the NFL passed on Allen several times, and yes his long snapping was his upside; however Carl also wanted Allen because he won the Buck B. award for best small college d-lineman. Another Carl PR move.

I think you are giving Peterson far too much credit.

ToxSocks
04-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Best case scenario this year......

Berry at #5
Trading back into the first round to grab a falling Clausen.
Green or Floyd in 2011.

I pick this one.

Mojo Jojo
04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Agree. The safety, being the last line of defense, can't make any mistakes and needs to place themselves in the best position possible in order to support the play. They need to be fundamentally sound. And I've said before that the safety position basically caps itself in terms of production/statistics. Look at all the best safeties in the league and the numbers are virtually identical. It's why I like a guy like Darrell Stuckey or Robert Johnson in this draft nearly as much as I do Eric Berry.

However, looking at this draft and the Chiefs pick at #5, I don't know if there is another guy out there that justifies that high of a pick in terms of being that "generational" level talent. Berry has the instincts and athleticism to play any position in the defensive backfield, and that versatility is important in todays NFL where the defense is seeing multiple sets and formations from an offense from the traditional I-back pro set to the Wildcat. A guy like Berry can matchup with anything that the offense might pull out and has the speed and skill set to make immediate adjustments to any and everything.

Personally, for the Chiefs, I would rather have Russell Okung which would facilitate Albert moving to left guard and giving the Chiefs an amazing left side of the line for the next decade. But I'm not going to complain if Berry is the pick. They very much need safety help and he's a good one.

I think you are giving Peterson far too much credit.

You can never give Carl too much credit when a Chiefs History/PR spin was involved. One of the reasons Lamar loved him so much.

Mecca
04-16-2010, 06:34 PM
This thread hurts my brain.

beach tribe
04-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Alternate best case scenario is a new QB.

Most likely scenario is Cassel is going to get a bunch of new toys surrounding him.

I've been saying over and over, with the changes in todays NFL, the passing explosion, and the rules castrating the corners, safety is going to become a premier position.

Dave Lane
04-16-2010, 09:37 PM
I agree safety now is different than 15 years ago. Actually so are really good RTs. They have been like mid round picks but with the 3-4 and so many blitzes a good RT is far more valuable that 15 years ago too.

chiefzilla1501
04-17-2010, 08:04 AM
I doubt the Falcons have any incentive to move up.

The team i would watch out for is the Eagles. They have a gajillion second round picks. I could see them giving away their entire second round and maybe a second round next year to trade up for Berry.

I'd like Berry or Clausen, but that would also be something else if the Chiefs ended up with 5 second round picks in this loaded of a draft. And honestly, the calibre of talent that will be available when the Eagles pick would probably still be outstanding. You might be able to land a pass rusher like Hughes or Graham, you could probably get a Golden Tate, or if you wanted a QB, that's the ripe spot to gnab Lefevre.

The Bad Guy
04-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Dan Lefevre is not a 2nd round talent.

chiefzilla1501
04-17-2010, 08:27 AM

If the Chiefs trade down to the Eagles at #24, he could very easily still be on the board.

milkman
04-17-2010, 08:32 AM
If the Chiefs trade down to the Eagles at #24, he could very easily still be on the board.

I think you missed the point altogether.

Reaper16
04-17-2010, 08:34 AM
If the Chiefs trade down to the Eagles at #124, he could very easily still be on the board.
FYP

chiefzilla1501
04-17-2010, 08:35 AM
FYP

Has he really dropped that low? I haven't followed his draft stock.

OnTheWarpath15
04-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Has he really dropped that low? I haven't followed his draft stock.

Dropped?

Who EVER had him that high?

I think the absolute highest I've ever seen him taken in a mock is late 3rd.

Most have him as a 4th/5th round pick, with Pike being taken ahead of him.

chiefzilla1501
04-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Dropped?

Who EVER had him that high?

I think the absolute highest I've ever seen him taken in a mock is late 3rd.

Most have him as a 4th/5th round pick, with Pike being taken ahead of him.

I admit that past the top 20, I haven't really paid attention to draft stock. My bad.

OnTheWarpath15
04-17-2010, 08:46 AM
I admit that past the top 20, I haven't really paid attention to draft stock. My bad.

No worries, man.