PDA

View Full Version : Eagles want to trade up for Safety

Bill Lundberg
04-16-2010, 10:28 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/16/eagles-want-to-trade-up-for-a-safety/

Eagles want to trade up for a safety

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 16, 2010 12:13 PM ET
With four of the first 70 picks in next week's draft, the Philadelphia Eagles have the ability to put together a package to trade up. And that's reportedly what they want to do, if they can trade up to a spot where one of the top two safeties will be available.

Peter King of SI.com reports that the Eagles want to move up into first half of the first round (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/16/five.things/), and that they'd like to get either Eric Berry (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5623) of Tennessee or Earl Thomas (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5703) of Texas. (Our mock draft (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/02/2010-mock-draft-take-three/) has Berry going seventh and Thomas going 21st.)

King writes that the Dolphins, who have the 12th pick, could be the Eagles' trading partners. Dolphins boss Bill Parcells would like to have a second-round pick, but Miami currently doesn't have one after the Brandon Marshall (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3653) trade.

For Philadelphia, moving up would likely involve the Eagles giving up their own first-round pick (24th overall) and one or two of their other picks, which include the 35th, 55th and 70th overall.

The Franchise
04-16-2010, 10:32 AM
They wouldn't have to trade up very far to grab Earl Thomas. I can see that happening before I see them trading up for Berry.

RippedmyFlesh
04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Even if the chiefs don't pick berry they should act like they love him for better leverage.
The chiefs should not let people assume a pick after them gets berry.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Or the Chiefs could just pick Berry and offer him to Philly for their 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Ralphy Boy
04-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Even if the chiefs don't pick berry they should act like they love him for better leverage.
The chiefs should not let people assume a pick after them gets berry.

Yes, but do you want a team trading up with Washington, who doesn't have a 2nd or 3rd and would love to trade down? Not that Philly would trade again with Washington, but I wouldn't have thought that they would trade their QB to them either.

I agree they need to show some interest in Clausen & Berry, but I think they have. Word is getting out there, say it too soon and nobody that matters will believe it.

Word will start leaking out next wednesday or thursday and we'll see if we get any offers.

chiefzilla1501
04-17-2010, 11:29 AM
They wouldn't have to trade up very far to grab Earl Thomas. I can see that happening before I see them trading up for Berry.

I think with the Eagles shipping out a lot of playmakers this offseason, they know they need to bring a few in. Their fans are smart and relentless. They fully know the difference between Berry and Earl Thomas. Some of their fans are angry at the Eagles' offseason approach, I think. And many are impatient with Reed and the front office in general.

I could easily see it happening. The front office probably wants to shore up that defense so they don't put the world on Kolb's shoulders. The front office probably wants Berry to prove to the fans they're still committed to winning now. And Reid probably wants Berry because he knows the clock is starting to tick for him.

COchief
04-17-2010, 12:16 PM
And Reid probably wants Berry because he knows the clock is starting to tick for him.

**snicker**

Yeah, that clock sure is ticking, 5 NFC championship games and a recent SB appearance with a team that is always restocking and full of young talent. Your football knowledge is impressive to say the least.

The Bad Guy
04-17-2010, 12:16 PM
The clock is not ticking for Andy Reid. If it was, they would have kept McNabb and made one last ditch run before blowing it up.

The guy is a great coach.

chiefzilla1501
04-17-2010, 12:55 PM
**snicker**

Yeah, that clock sure is ticking, 5 NFC championship games and a recent SB appearance with a team that is always restocking and full of young talent. Your football knowledge is impressive to say the least.

Try living in Philadelphia for a few years and you tell me how much they love their coaches and players.

Andy Reid's a hell of a coach. But he plays in arguably the toughest sports market in the country. The fact is that he's coached the Eagles for 11 years and hasn't won a single Super Bowl. In a league where coaches are lucky to make it 5 years, it's amazing Reid's made it that far in that market.

Since I'm so low on football knowledge, tell me what's wrong with any of these statements: the Eagles play in one of the most impatient media/fan markets in the country. They lost their stud defensive coordinator last season in Jim Johnson, a guy who had been carrying the team for years. They just got rid of their franchise QB, a guy who had been carrying a defense that has not been the defensive powerhouse they were several years ago. They have a head coach who's been there 11 years and hasn't won a Super Bowl. Their defense is very light on playmakers, now that Asante Samuel isn't the player that was advertised and they just lost Sheldon Brown, in addition to losing Dawkins and Lito Shepard the year prior.

But I'm sure the fan base and media will be reassured when they trade up to grab a serviceable safety and I'm sure they'll be quite patient with Reid, as it will probably take a few years to rebuild.

Mecca
04-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Andy Reid's clock isn't ticking because the guy is basically the GM, he makes all their player calls.

Also guys they recently got rid of, they've always done that, once you cross 30 the Eagles are ready to move on.

threebag
04-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Andy is a hell of a coach. He will always get you in a position to win.

chiefzilla1501
04-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Andy Reid's clock isn't ticking because the guy is basically the GM, he makes all their player calls.

Also guys they recently got rid of, they've always done that, once you cross 30 the Eagles are ready to move on.

That's something the Patriots have done too.

That doesn't mean that today's Patriots aren't a significant step back from the Patriots in their heyday.

If the Eagles aren't winning in 3-4 years, Reid will be going into 15 years with no Super Bowl. And considering the calibre of the playmakers they've lost, that's going to be a very uphill climb. They never lost guys like McNabb, Westbrook, or Dawkins before, let alone Jim Johnson, the defensive coordinator, let alone Sheldon Brown and Lito Shepard. Doesn't help that they also play in an NFC East that's only going to get better by adding Shanahan.

I'm just surprised I'm the only one that sees that this team is in quite a bit of trouble.

milkman
04-17-2010, 07:29 PM
That's something the Patriots have done too.

That doesn't mean that today's Patriots aren't a significant step back from the Patriots in their heyday.

If the Eagles aren't winning in 3-4 years, Reid will be going into 15 years with no Super Bowl. And considering the calibre of the playmakers they've lost, that's going to be a very uphill climb. They never lost guys like McNabb, Westbrook, or Dawkins before, let alone Jim Johnson, the defensive coordinator, let alone Sheldon Brown and Lito Shepard. Doesn't help that they also play in an NFC East that's only going to get better by adding Shanahan.

I'm just surprised I'm the only one that sees that this team is in quite a bit of trouble.

Personally, I think much of the Eagles success can be attributed to Jim Johnson.

It will be interesting to see how Reid and the Eagles perform moving forward without Johnson.

I've also thought, for a long time, that Reid never got as much from Westbrook's talents as he could have, and was a contributing factor in the team's failure to advance to the SB for 4 years.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Let them eat dick.