PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Our Modern Addition Project

NewChief
04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I'll probably be posting about this project on the Planet as we progress with it. Basically, the wife and I are pretty into modern architecture. We currently live in a 1950s ranch in an awesome part of town. We've considered moving several times, but we've finally decided just to stay where we are and add on and renovate our current house. We have 16 acres of wooded greenspace directly behind our house that is a nature preserve. We have a natural food store and our gym within walking distance, and we're centrally located in our town.

We've found and hired a local architect who we like quite a bit. They've presented us with our initial plans and drawings. I'm not going to post up everything, but I'll just post a rough model that shows the general idea of the addition. The colors are not accurate, but the general shape is. The background is the existing structure, and the addition is the shed-roof box coming off into the foreground. This will house our master bedroom and the wife's home office.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be coming to the Planet for advice on the project as we progress, but I wanted to share it with someone. We're pretty happy with the plans at this point.

Rain Man
04-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Awesome. Good luck, and keep us updated. I like architecture.

NewChief
04-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Awesome. Good luck, and keep us updated. I like architecture.

Here's the firm we're using:
http://skilesarchitect.com/

Most of his work is actually a little more eclectic and less modern than our aesthetic (though I really love it). His wife, though, is super modern. Regardless, we really hit it off with them, and they're as enthused about the project as we are.

teedubya
04-16-2010, 12:42 PM
What is the purpose of the new space / rooms? What are they going to be used for?

teedubya
Here's the firm we're using:
http://skilesarchitect.com/

Most of his work is actually a little more eclectic and less modern than our aesthetic (though I really love it). His wife, though, is super modern. Regardless, we really hit it off with them, and they're as enthused about the project as we are.

I sense a foursome in your future.

NewChief
What is the purpose of the new space / rooms? What are they going to be used for?

I thought I put it in the original post... but it's a master bedroom suite and home office.

Rain Man
04-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Foursomes.

NewChief
04-16-2010, 12:44 PM
I sense a foursome in your future.

His wife is also an architect and partner in the firm, heh.

Ralphy Boy
04-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Freaking communist hippie.

Love his "Haisten Residence" project and "Cabin on Crooked Creek".

teedubya
04-16-2010, 01:14 PM
I thought I put it in the original post... but it's a master bedroom suite and home office.

my reading comprehension skills aren't so good.

NewChief
04-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Freaking communist hippie.

Love his "Haisten Residence" project and "Cabin on Crooked Creek".

Yeah, he has some varied styles. Some of his stuff is really rustic but other stuff is modern.

As long as we don't end up with this:
http://unhappyhipsters.com/post/526229035/hiring-her-unemployed-phishhead-brother-to-design

patteeu
04-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Looks exciting. Have us down for a ChiefsPlanet shindig when it's done.

NewChief
04-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Thought I'd throw up a new collage. We're about to start shopping around for contractors and bids.

NewChief
07-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Holy cow. The financing on this thing is finally coming together after months of sweating it out.

As most of you probably know, the bank will only give up to 80% of the value of the home in a loan. Due to our addition being modern (expensive) and the fact that we don't have a ton of equity in the place as of yet, our numbers were running pretty close. To get the loan we needed, we needed the house to come in at a little over $100 a sq.ft. In our depressed market, this was (we thought) unlikely. We're in an awesome location which was good for us, but most appraisals were coming in at $80-90 a sq.ft. in our town at the moment. Needless to say, we were sweating bullets and thinking we were going to have to scale back the project.

Our appraisal came in today: $120 a sq.ft.

Hell yeah. We're going to be able to move forward with the project as is. Thank you appraisal company that understood the value of location and modern!

Skyy God
07-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Holy cow. The financing on this thing is finally coming together after months of sweating it out.

As most of you probably know, the bank will only give up to 80% of the value of the home in a loan. Due to our addition being modern (expensive) and the fact that we don't have a ton of equity in the place as of yet, our numbers were running pretty close. To get the loan we needed, we needed the house to come in at a little over $100 a sq.ft. In our depressed market, this was (we thought) unlikely. We're in an awesome location which was good for us, but most appraisals were coming in at $80-90 a sq.ft. in our town at the moment. Needless to say, we were sweating bullets and thinking we were going to have to scale back the project.

Hell yeah. We're going to be able to move forward with the project as is. Thank you appraisal company that understood the value of location and modern!

Congrats! Are you leaving the facade on the ranch or updating it to fit with the addition?

$120/sq ft is great. I bought my house in a fairly good location back in August and the appraisal came in $8K over what I paid, but it's still only $92/sq ft.

NewChief
07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Congrats! Are you leaving the facade on the ranch or updating it to fit with the addition?

$120/sq ft is great. I bought my house in a fairly good location back in August and the appraisal came in $8K over what I paid, but it's still only $92/sq ft.

We're redoing the entryway in the front, mainly through adding a modern carport and doing some work with wood slat screens and landscaping to change the appearance. We're not sheathing the existing house in galvalume, though. It's currently painted brick.

NewChief
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I haven't been as good as I said I would be about updating this thread (I've been doing most of my updating on facebook). We're pretty much done with the addition (the landscaping is still a disaster). Here's the writeup from our architect's portfolio:

http://skilesarchitect.com/MODbox.html

Dave Lane
04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Thats a beautiful addition man mad props.

That said, Phil thought my addition didn't match the rest of my house :)

NewChief
04-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Haha. Ours certainly doesn't. We decided to play up the contrast instead of try to blend it in. And thanks for the kind words.

Rain Man
04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
You put any secret doors in? I lobbied hard for a secret hidden door to our bedroom when we did our big remodel, but my wife and architect had no artistic vision for secret doors.

Dave Lane
04-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I have 2 secret doors in my new addition. It was a requirement I had at least one :)

Phobia
04-05-2011, 10:53 AM

It didn't but it was cosmetic thing that siding, paint, and shingles have probably cleared up by now.

Phobia
04-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I have 2 secret doors in my new addition. It was a requirement I had at least one :)

Hey - I did get your message. Sorry I haven't called back. I'm absolutely slammed right now. So, unless you want to wait a couple months I'm out. Appreciate the call.

vailpass
04-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Financing? Financing!! You think you can handle credit responsibly but you can't!! You know they can take your children as interest payment don't you? And your dog too. Either pay cash or you don't need it!! You are so dumb and I am so much smarter than you!!

NewChief
04-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Financing? Financing!! You think you can handle credit responsibly but you can't!! You know they can take your children as interest payment don't you? And your dog too. Either pay cash or you don't need it!! You are so dumb and I am so much smarter than you!!

Well.... in all fairness... I would love to move to a 15 year and get this thing paid off quickly, but it's just not doable at the moment. We'll either refinance or seriously commit to extra payments within the next two years.

This probably wasn't the most financially wise move for us to make, but that's okay. There really weren't a lot of "good" options out there right now in our current housing market.

Buck
04-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Dude take pics!

vailpass
04-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Well.... in all fairness... I would love to move to a 15 year and get this thing paid off quickly, but it's just not doable at the moment. We'll either refinance or seriously commit to extra payments within the next two years.

This probably wasn't the most financially wise move for us to make, but that's okay. There really weren't a lot of "good" options out there right now in our current housing market.

You know I was mimicking R8er guy right?
Oh and congrats on the sweet new addition.

NewChief
04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
You know I was mimicking R8er guy right?
Oh and congrats on the sweet new addition.

I know, I know. The irony is that I'm currently in a Dave Ramsey seminar at our church, so I'm hearing the same message that he preaches.

Phobia
04-05-2011, 12:01 PM
I know, I know. The irony is that I'm currently in a Dave Ramsey seminar at our church, so I'm hearing the same message that he preaches.

It's a good thing you did the addition before going through Financial Peace.

vailpass
04-05-2011, 12:24 PM

I like that you waited until after you financed your additon to take the seminar.LMAO
Looks like you can manage yourself without any help from a cut-rate financial planner.

Saul Good
04-05-2011, 12:50 PM
You put any secret doors in? I lobbied hard for a secret hidden door to our bedroom when we did our big remodel, but my wife and architect had no artistic vision for secret doors.

Joke's on you. You have a door so secret that you don't even know it exists. That's how I've been sneaking into your house.

NewChief
04-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I like that you waited until after you financed your additon to take the seminar.LMAO
Looks like you can manage yourself without any help from a cut-rate financial planner.

Yeah. It's kind of weird, because we're still furnishing the addition and such (and still haven't moved from construction loan to the finished home mortgage closing), so it's kind of hard to make a budget that makes sense because a lot of things are in flux.

vailpass
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah. It's kind of weird, because we're still furnishing the addition and such (and still haven't moved from construction loan to the finished home mortgage closing), so it's kind of hard to make a budget that makes sense because a lot of things are in flux.

You'll manage it all just fine I'm sure. Enjoy the new wing on your compound.

HonestChieffan
04-05-2011, 02:36 PM

About what did your architect charge you? Im really not happy looking at the plans I see for what I want to build in the near future and may just end up having it drawn like I want

NewChief
04-05-2011, 03:11 PM
About what did your architect charge you? Im really not happy looking at the plans I see for what I want to build in the near future and may just end up having it drawn like I want

We had a flat fee with our architect ($6,000). I'll say that we've more than gotten our money's worth out of them. They've been great and redrawn several different details repeatedly free of chrage (driveway/carport) due to problem's with the zoning and code (Fayetteville is about like Boulder, CO as far as building ordinances).

That being said: we could have just had our contractor or a talented builder design something for us, and it would have been much cheaper both from a labor/materials standpoint and not having to pay an architect. We've enjoyed the process of working with the architects, but we're pretty "into" architecture and design as a hobby.

Over-Head
04-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Anyway, I'm sure I'll be coming to the Planet for advice on the project as we progress, but I wanted to share it with someone. We're pretty happy with the plans at this point.

I just happen to know an increadible interior finish guy who specializes in custom work, and travels north america extensivly ;)

HonestChieffan
04-05-2011, 03:37 PM
i figured it was pretty expensive

NewChief
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
i figured it was pretty expensive

Depending on what you want to do and how conceptual you are, the right contractor can probably help you out. My brother does most of his drawings for his log cabins and really prefers that to working with an architect. Our contractor is also pretty capable of doing it.

ModSocks
04-05-2011, 03:52 PM
I'll be honest with you, man. I don't really like it. After seeing the last pic you posted, they look like two seperate homes.

NewChief
04-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I'll be honest with you, man. I don't really like it. After seeing the last pic you posted, they look like two seperate homes.

No problem at all. To each their own... and yes... they're very different. As I said, it was intentional to mesh the mid-century ranch with the modern. The mid-century ranch will be getting an update as we go as well.

Ideally, we'll move to a shed roof with the peak of the shed also facing the "courtyard" and sloping back, getting rid of our peaked roof. Failing that, we might just add a "pop up" onto the existing structure and have the pop up tie into the new structure aesthetically.

Oh, we also repoured our driveway.... and that was worth its weight in gold. Holy cow, that old driveway was a mess.

ModSocks
04-05-2011, 04:02 PM
No problem at all. To each their own... and yes... they're very different. As I said, it was intentional to mesh the mid-century ranch with the modern. The mid-century ranch will be getting an update as we go as well.

The addition reminds me of the new condos being built in SD. Which is a good thing, IMO. I'm into the ultra modern as well. If you haven't taken a look, you should. very similar to what you have going on there.

NewChief
04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
The addition reminds me of the new condos being built in SD. Which is a good thing, IMO. I'm into the ultra modern as well. If you haven't taken a look, you should. very similar to what you have going on there.

This is our bible:
http://www.dwell.com/

And this specific issue was fundamental:

http://www.dwell.com/magazine/mid-century-remixed.html

NewChief
04-11-2011, 04:42 PM
New Pics

NewChief
04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
And a few more:

Excuse the horrible duvet cover on the bed. The one we've ordered hasn't arrived yet.

cdcox
04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Nice calendar!

NewChief
04-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Nice calendar!

That's the wife's office. Our architects gifted us that calendar as a "housewarming" gift. It's pretty badass. The best part: rip off the old pages and use it as wrapping paper for Christmas.

Dallas Chief
04-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Dude! You are living at Eddie Haskell's???

Hahahaha! Just kidding man. New digs look pretty awesome! The only thing that reminded me of Eddie Haskell's was the patio/deck railing part.

Phobia
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
You just need some Trent Green autographed stuff hanging on the walls now.

NewChief
04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
You just need some Trent Green autographed stuff hanging on the walls now.

I keep that in my classroom!

doomy3
04-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I think it looks awesome. I am a HUGE fan of this style. Nice, nice work.

NewChief
04-11-2011, 07:40 PM
I think it looks awesome. I am a HUGE fan of this style. Nice, nice work.

Thanks man. And just an FYI: the deck railing and such is now painted, so it looks better. We wanted to go with cable, but most cable systems were a couple thousand. Our hogwire and timber was a couple hundred.

NewChief
04-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Dude! You are living at Eddie Haskell's???

Hahahaha! Just kidding man. New digs look pretty awesome! The only thing that reminded me of Eddie Haskell's was the patio/deck railing part.

You talking about the bar in Bentonville? I've actually never been. Maybe it's the same architect, heh. Actually a lot of people are doing hogwire now because it's easy and affordable and gives pretty clean, interesting lines.

NewChief
06-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Our architect came over and took some more pics for a possible magazine submission. We're finally getting everything decorated and such. Still have a few things to finish, but the project is more or less done.

MIAdragon
06-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Whats with the creepy face staring at you in the closet??

NewChief
06-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Whats with the creepy face staring at you in the closet??

It's a mold from a mask-making workshop my wife did. She then put some twisted rafia on the head to make it more sculptural. We've had it ever since (we used to collect masks, but we don't display as many as we did at one time).

But yes, it's kind of creepy (in a good way). The creepy mask in the "office" picture was carved by my father when he was in high school.

Delano
06-26-2011, 04:51 PM
How is that Stok grill working for you? The addition looks amazing! I really like the view through the bedroom.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
06-26-2011, 05:32 PM
How is that Stok grill working for you? The addition looks amazing! I really like the view through the bedroom.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm loving the Stok grill. It would probably be little more than a "toy" for the BBQ boys around here, but it suits my needs wonderfully. Thanks for the kind words on the addition.

NewChief
10-14-2011, 06:33 PM
We did a front screen as part of our addition to make the front of our house not look so shabby. My brother, as some of you know, works with big timbers. He had some cypress logs, so he and I fired up his sawmill and turned it into lumber. I then planed, sanded, and oiled the lumber for this screen. Turned out well.

NewChief
10-15-2011, 09:56 AM
No love on my screen. Boo!

/shameless bump

Stewie
10-15-2011, 10:11 AM

/shameless bump

The photo said "screeb" so I was confused. :D

What siding did you use on the addition?

Phobia
10-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Love the screen. It has inspired me. I want to do one hinged at the top so it can flip up if we want to be seen or see around the neighborhood. It will be years before I get to it but I feel you.

NewChief
10-15-2011, 10:36 AM
The photo said "screeb" so I was confused. :D

What siding did you use on the addition?

Galvalum.

NewChief
10-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Love the screen. It has inspired me. I want to do one hinged at the top so it can flip up if we want to be seen or see around the neighborhood. It will be years before I get to it but I feel you.

We had enclosed our carport and put a door on the enclosure for what used to be my wife's office, now the kids' playroom. Our house looked like a duplex with two front doors and was confusing for people on which entrance to use. The screen hides the carport enclosure entry, routes traffic, and helps to make the front of the house a little more interesting and modern.

doomy3
10-17-2011, 07:30 PM
We had enclosed our carport and put a door on the enclosure for what used to be my wife's office, now the kids' playroom. Our house looked like a duplex with two front doors and was confusing for people on which entrance to use. The screen hides the carport enclosure entry, routes traffic, and helps to make the front of the house a little more interesting and modern.

I'm interested to see what the entire front of the house looks like if you have a picture. Just curious how the screen fits in (I think it's awesome, BTW).

NewChief
10-17-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm interested to see what the entire front of the house looks like if you have a picture. Just curious how the screen fits in (I think it's awesome, BTW).

I'll try to get a picture soon. Just looked through my phone, and I didn't have any that really show the whole front. We still have to put a new front door on. We're having a custom one done that's similar to the kits offered by Crestview.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AaNGG0v3SJI/SSB4X9zfwHI/AAAAAAAAEEY/SHD6PvKNjrA/s400/crestview-doors-nov08_04.gif

doomy3
10-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Do you have a link to the company that does those doors?

NewChief
10-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Do you have a link to the company that does those doors?

Yeah. It's http://www.crestviewdoors.com/

Just as an FYI: one of our local lumber stores is custom making one for us at a price that's pretty comparable to the DIY kits that Crestview offers.

doomy3
10-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah. It's http://www.crestviewdoors.com/

Just as an FYI: one of our local lumber stores is custom making one for us at a price that's pretty comparable to the DIY kits that Crestview offers.

Those are pretty awesome.

aturnis
10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Totally 70's.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-17-2011, 08:52 PM

we have secret doors....my wife just won't tell me where they are.

Dave Lane
10-17-2011, 08:57 PM

/shameless bump

I like it. The whole addition has a real Japanese Zen feel to it.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-17-2011, 09:08 PM
As an appraiser/agent.... I am not a big fan of additions on the whole. In your situation, from what you said, it makes sense. I recomend most people just move..... (of course, that may not be possible in THIS market)

I think the addition came out very well. Congrats.

Oh, and I like the screen too..... I don't know that I want to go on record as giving you screen love... because...well, that just sounds gay.... but, I liked it.

NewChief
02-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Our first magazine spread... in Holland. Haha.

We're #5.