PDA

View Full Version : MU Big Ten might decide on expansion plans by Tuesday

|Zach|
04-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Lots of links within the text of the article below. Click the link to try and get the more expanded story. Not a quiet off season for the revenue sports in Columbia. ROFL

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Today-s-Big-Ten-expansion-scenario-The-process-?urn=ncaaf,234918

Big Ten expansion was pitched last December as a glacial exploration process scheduled to span more than a year, at which point a recommendation on whether to formally pursue new members "may or may not be made." That timetable has been slightly adjusted, according to the Chicago Tribune, which said Saturday -- after just four months of premature speculation, visions of unlikely coups and unwieldy grandeur and the first specters of grim death beginning to hover over more than one other conference in the media -- that recommendation could be made today:
High-ranking Big Ten representatives will meet Sunday in Washington to discuss expansion. The timing and location of the session make sense considering the Association of American Universities has its semi-annual meetings there through Tuesday and all 11 Big Ten schools are AAU members.
[...]
If the conference can emerge from the meetings with a mandate to expand, Commissioner Jim Delany could take a substantial step next week at the annual Bowl Championship Series meetings outside Phoenix.
As laid out in the Big Ten's Dec. 15 statement, Delany would "notify" the commissioners of the affected conferences before "engaging in formal expansion discussions with other institutions."

In this case, "affected conferences" almost certainly means the Big East, which stands to lose Pittsburgh or Rutgers (and possibly Syracuse and/or West Virginia) in a Big Ten power grab, as well as the great white whale, Notre Dame, in basketball and non-revenue sports. Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe may also expect a call regarding Missouri in the next few weeks. Assuming the recommendation is "expand" (there is no indication from anyone anywhere that it won't be) negotiations with targeted schools should be well underway by the time conference presidents and chancellors meet in Chicago on the first weekend in June.

Under that timeline, the Big Ten -- and the Pac-10, too, which wants to have its new configuration in place when it goes into negotiations for its new television contracts this summer -- could send the first domino in the great Conference Realignment Wars of 2010 tumbling before the start of the season, a potentially torturous process depending on how many teams the Big Ten decides to poach. By the end of the year, the chaotic march toward the long-envisioned age of the superconference, already responsible for the death of the old Southwest Conference and dozens of other eruptions that have shaped the landscape over the last 40 years, is likely to resume in full force as the SEC mulls its counterattack and the "affected conferences" sramble for their lives.

kchero
04-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Part of me would be excited to go the BIG 10, due to the benifits it has towards Mizzou (including it's 3 sister schools in St. Louis, Rolla, and KC). But I do wonder how this would affect the Kansas City sports scene in other ways.
For instance, the occasional Big 12 championship game in football at Arrowhead and the B-Ball Tourney and then there is the rivarly with KU (which I am sure both schools would keep as a non conference game, but there are still issues to resolve there).

Lots of things to consider...

Stanley Nickels
04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Part of me would be excited to go the BIG 10, due to the benifits it has towards Mizzou (including it's 3 sister schools in St. Louis, Rolla, and KC). But I do wonder how this would affect the Kansas City sports scene in other ways.
For instance, the occasional Big 12 championship game in football at Arrowhead and the B-Ball Tourney and then there is the rivarly with KU (which I am sure both schools would keep as a non conference game, but there are still issues to resolve there).

Lots of things to consider...

I do agree with you, but the Big 12 has had this coming for a while.. They're so obsessed with their Texas market (and, granted, a market big enough to warrant its own conference), putting the Big 12 BB tourney in KC was simply a way to placate the northern conference fans. I still think, if the Big 12 conference had their way, every tournament would be in Dallas, with rare exceptions of OKC or KC once every four or five years.

They make the larger-revenue schools even richer, often at the expense of serving their mid-level schools. Their comeuppance is right around the corner, and don't think Texas won't listen to overtures from a quickly-expanding SEC should the Big 12 not pamper them and meet their every request. Then, the cyclical nature of the poor distribution of wealth comes full circle. Missouri is smart to get out ASAP. If the Big 10 says they want to talk with MU about possible expansion, we RUN to the meeting.

kchero
04-18-2010, 02:07 PM
I do agree with you, but the Big 12 has had this coming for a while.. They're so obsessed with their Texas market (and, granted, a market big enough to warrant its own conference), putting the Big 12 BB tourney in KC was simply a way to placate the northern conference fans. I still think, if the Big 12 conference had their way, every tournament would be in Dallas, with rare exceptions of OKC or KC once every four or five years.

They make the larger-revenue schools even richer, often at the expense of serving their mid-level schools. Their comeuppance is right around the corner, and don't think Texas won't listen to overtures from a quickly-expanding SEC should the Big 12 not pamper them and meet their every request. Then, the cyclical nature of the poor distribution of wealth comes full circle. Missouri is smart to get out ASAP. If the Big 10 says they want to talk with MU about possible expansion, we RUN to the meeting.

I am with you there. I am tired of the Texas schools having it their way and we are forced to play along. I am for the change if the invite is extended I just would hope though that Kansas City is lost completely in the mix. It just seems to me that if there was ever to be a tournament or championship held in Missouri in regards to the BIG 10 it would go to St. Louis. But as you nicely put it, having the tournament here every so often is a nice way to keep some people happy while overall Missouri gets shafted by the Texas schools.

Uncle_Ted
04-18-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm not asking this to be anti-Mizzou, but I would be curious to know what you guys think MU can offer the Big Ten that some of the other schools rumored to be in the mix (Syracuse, WV, ND, Rutgers, etc.) cannot. If it's just fan-base, I expect that some of the other schools in the running bring more to the table. MU is a good fit geographically, but I'm not sure how much something like that would count. MU is probably "Big Ten quality" in terms of academic reputation ... but middle of the pack at best.

Any other ideas?

Jerm
04-18-2010, 02:18 PM
TV markets...natural rivalries with Iowa and Illinois...academics...

I'd say it'd be mainly the two TV markets.

Pushead2
04-18-2010, 02:19 PM
what happens happens I guess, & I'm a Michigan fan..

Stanley Nickels
04-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Outside of Rutgers, an absolutely huge market. Rutgers and WV aren't on par with MU academically (and even MU would be in the lower half of the Big 10 academically-- they're currently third or fourth in the Big 12).
St. Louis and, to a slightly lesser extent Kansas City, are TV markets the Big 10 could really use. They've got Ohio-- the midwest's Texas-- and the Chicago cash cow, but they're being proactive and the forerunners of the "superconference". So, you look for money and academics. MU, Syracuse, and Rutgers can provide both (although, I'm not sure how good Rutgers really is, except being the flagship university in my least favorite state). Then, you go money. This is Rutgers' trump card. Syracuse has some yuppies in NYC, but it's Rutgers that's going to get that market. After them, it's MU.

Edit: I totally contradicted myself with the Rutgers academic stuff.. I will see if I can find out how they rank..

RustShack
04-18-2010, 02:22 PM
it will be UNI

Stanley Nickels
04-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Outside of Rutgers, an absolutely huge market. Rutgers and WV aren't on par with MU academically (and even MU would be in the lower half of the Big 10 academically-- they're currently third or fourth in the Big 12).
St. Louis and, to a slightly lesser extent Kansas City, are TV markets the Big 10 could really use. They've got Ohio-- the midwest's Texas-- and the Chicago cash cow, but they're being proactive and the forerunners of the "superconference". So, you look for money and academics. MU, Syracuse, and Rutgers can provide both (although, I'm not sure how good Rutgers really is, except being the flagship university in my least favorite state). Then, you go money. This is Rutgers' trump card. Syracuse has some yuppies in NYC, but it's Rutgers that's going to get that market. After them, it's MU.

Pushead2
04-18-2010, 02:24 PM
ND needs to be in the Big Ten in CFB & everyone knows it, never happen due to the Bowl Game and Cash they receive.

kchero
04-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm not asking this to be anti-Mizzou, but I would be curious to know what you guys think MU can offer the Big Ten that some of the other schools rumored to be in the mix (Syracuse, WV, ND, Rutgers, etc.) cannot. If it's just fan-base, I expect that some of the other schools in the running bring more to the table. MU is a good fit geographically, but I'm not sure how much something like that would count. MU is probably "Big Ten quality" in terms of academic reputation ... but middle of the pack at best.

Any other ideas?

No I don't feel your being anti-Mizzou, those are legitimate concerns that if the school was in the running to leave for the BIG 10 would have to address. Academically MU is fine like you said, but you are right in regards to athletics overall MU is middle of the pack when compared to the other schools up for consideration. ND is obvously who they covet the most, but as you probably know ND has a good deal now being an independent, but who knows how long that will last.
I suppose adding the St. Louis and Kansas City market would be a good selling point. I do know that Rutgers has the New York market, but I feel that New York isn't much of a college sports town and most New Yorkers are alums of many other schools and unlike for instance in KC and St. Louis where there are a good supply of MU alums.
Overall depending on the schools being considered I think MU is not their primary choice (ND has that honor), but I think it is on line with the upper half of potential schools. I suppose if it was out of ND, WV, Syracuse, Rutgers, MU I would put it in the following order.
1)ND
2)Syracuse and MU fighting it out for who is behind ND
4)Rutgers
5)WV

duncan_idaho
04-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Adding Missouri makes sense for the Big Ten for a few reasons...

1) Geographic.
2) TV Markets. Adding Missouri to the Big Ten would lock up the St. Louis market for that conference while giving it a toehold in the KC market and excellent representation from the additional 2 million or so Missourians outside the metro area.
3) Missouri fits academically as a land-grant, research-based university that has membership in the national research universities council (a requirement for Big Ten membership). Missouri also is a public, which is a preference.
4) Notre Dame is highly unlikely to join the league. Without Notre Dame, if you're looking to go to 14 teams, Adding two from the Big East and one from the BIg 12 starts to make some sense. Of the Big 12 schools, Texas is most attractive. If you can't get the Horns (and they can't/won't), Missouri offers the next-most in terms of TV potential, academic rep and potential, and athletic performance.
5) Missouri has big upside as an academic institution (with access to the CIC, Missouri's academic rankings should start recovering as it fixes the area of issue - funding research), and decent upside as an athletic institution (at least as much as West Virginia, more than Rutgers, and much more than Syracuse or UCONN in anything other than hoops).

Demonpenz
04-18-2010, 02:46 PM
big ben plans expansion in his pants on a new campus

Pushead2
04-18-2010, 02:46 PM
big ben plans expansion in his pants on a new campus

FTW!

WilliamTheIrish
04-18-2010, 03:11 PM
...and don't think Texas won't listen to overtures from a quickly-expanding SEC should the Big 12 not pamper them and meet their every request....

The Big XII doesn't have to pamper UT, Stanley. All the Big XII university presidents did that as soon as the conference was formed. It takes a super majority (9 votes) to change any of main conference tenets or bylaws with regards to revenue distribution from TV dates. They goaded the other south programs to follow suit and from day 1 the North was doomed.

UT may one day leave the conference. But they will never have that kind of leverage in the SEC.

You probably already knew all this but I thought I'd add my .02

KChiefs1
04-18-2010, 03:19 PM
I'd hate to move to the Big 10 but having the Big Ten Network showing EVERY game on tv would be awesome!

KChiefs1
04-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Adding Missouri makes sense for the Big Ten for a few reasons...

1) Geographic.
2) TV Markets. Adding Missouri to the Big Ten would lock up the St. Louis market for that conference while giving it a toehold in the KC market and excellent representation from the additional 2 million or so Missourians outside the metro area.
3) Missouri fits academically as a land-grant, research-based university that has membership in the national research universities council (a requirement for Big Ten membership). Missouri also is a public, which is a preference.
4) Notre Dame is highly unlikely to join the league. Without Notre Dame, if you're looking to go to 14 teams, Adding two from the Big East and one from the BIg 12 starts to make some sense. Of the Big 12 schools, Texas is most attractive. If you can't get the Horns (and they can't/won't), Missouri offers the next-most in terms of TV potential, academic rep and potential, and athletic performance.
5) Missouri has big upside as an academic institution (with access to the CIC, Missouri's academic rankings should start recovering as it fixes the area of issue - funding research), and decent upside as an athletic institution (at least as much as West Virginia, more than Rutgers, and much more than Syracuse or UCONN in anything other than hoops).

MU would be able to field competitive teams in EVERY sport something a lot of universities aren't able to do anymore.

Spott
04-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I wonder if they'd get TCU to join the Big 12 if Mizzou leaves for the Big 10.

luv
04-18-2010, 06:07 PM

I was talking to dad about that when word first came out that they miht be interested in Mizzou. Dad and I both thought TCU was a possibility. Think they might try to steal Arkansas?

Spott
04-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Think they might try to steal Arkansas?

Only if they are looking for inbreeders. :)

luv
04-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Only if they are looking for inbreeders. :)

Haha. They have a pretty good program though, don't they?

Mizzou not being in the Big 12 would be weird.

Frazod
04-18-2010, 06:15 PM

It was a mistake for the Big 8 to merge with those Texas fuckers in the first place. I hope this move happens.

Saul Good
04-18-2010, 06:19 PM
If Missouri leaves the conference, the Big XII will dissolve. The Pac 10 has been making overtures to Colorado for years. If MU leaves, I suspect that Colorado would as well. If that happened, there would be no major television market in the conference outside of Texas. Texas would become an independent and ink a larger TV deal than Notre Dame.

If Colorado were to stay, the Big XII would need to add another school. No Texas schools would make sense, as UT has that entire media market already. Arkansas wouldn't make sense, as they are a small market and already broke away from the Texas schools when the SWAC dissolved. The only school that would make sense to me in this case would be Memphis.

Spott
04-18-2010, 06:21 PM

Arkansas is in the SEC so I don't know if they'd consider leaving for the Big 12. I don't follow them but I haven't heard much about their football or basketball programs in a few years.

luv
04-18-2010, 06:21 PM
If Missouri leaves the conference, the Big XII will dissolve. The Pac 10 has been making overtures to Colorado for years. If MU leaves, I suspect that Colorado would as well. If that happened, there would be no major television market in the conference outside of Texas. Texas would become an independent and ink a larger TV deal than Notre Dame.

If Colorado were to stay, the Big XII would need to add another school. No Texas schools would make sense, as UT has that entire media market already. Arkansas wouldn't make sense, as they are a small market and already broke away from the Texas schools when the SWAC dissolved. The only school that would make sense to me in this case would be Memphis.

Hadn't thought of Memphis. Think they would be North, or would they re-establish that?

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2010, 06:23 PM

BYU

BigMeatballDave
04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
big ben plans expansion in his pants on a new campusLMAO

Saul Good
04-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Hadn't thought of Memphis. Think they would be North, or would they re-establish that?

They would be farther north than any of the South schools, so the north would make the most sense.

Saul Good
04-18-2010, 06:54 PM
BYU

Too far West. Too far South. Too small of a market. Also, I'm not sure how a Mormon school would work in a conference loaded with Texas and Oklahoma schools.

TrebMaxx
04-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Colorado State? Maybe?

Saul Good
04-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Colorado State? Maybe?

They don't add a market and aren't good enough at either sport to compete in the Big XII. Hell, the Big XII would be better off just cutting Iowa State loose.

RustShack
04-18-2010, 07:04 PM
They don't add a market and aren't good enough at either sport to compete in the Big XII. Hell, the Big XII would be better off just cutting Iowa State loose.

Why would they cut the team thats going to win the North this year?

KcMizzou
04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Why would they cut the team thats going to win the North this year?LMAO I figured that'd draw you out. Impressive response time.

RustShack
04-18-2010, 07:08 PM
LMAO I figured that'd draw you out. Impressive response time.

Iowa States team is far better than it was last year, plus its their second year in their new defense and spread offense. The team will be a lot better, especially since Arnaud is healthy again too. The problem however, is the schedule is a hell of a lot harder this year too.

tk13
04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
You never know. A few years ago most of the Big XII fans on here would've liked to have dropped Baylor... and last year they were probably the most successful basketball program in both men's and women's basketball. Now it'd look stupid to drop them.

Titty Meat
04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Why would Mizzou move to the Big Ten? Wouldn't this hurt them recruiting wise?

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Too far West. Too far South. Too small of a market. Also, I'm not sure how a Mormon school would work in a conference loaded with Texas and Oklahoma schools.

Its a bigger market than you think. The whole Utah market plus the US mormon population. BYU brought 20k to Oklahoma game. Mormon culture fits better in the Great Plains region than anywhere else really. Texas has a large Mormon population. Not to mention BYU was suppose to be #12 until the Texas goverment forced Baylor onto the league.

Reaper16
04-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Why would they cut the team thats going to win the North this year?
LMAO

tk13
04-18-2010, 07:33 PM
The Mountain West is an interesting case I think. I don't know if they're gonna get raided or stick together. Right now though they look great, they have been tremendous in the bowls the last couple years, even against major teams... and honestly you could argue stronger than the weakest one or two BCS conferences.

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2010, 07:40 PM
The Mountain West is an interesting case I think. I don't know if they're gonna get raided or stick together. Right now though they look great, they have been tremendous in the bowls the last couple years, even against major teams... and honestly you could argue stronger than the weakest one or two BCS conferences.

You take BYU and Utah out and its dead. PAC 10 and Big 12 know this. It also elimantes the biggest voice in Congress that is complaing about the BCS.

KChiefs1
04-18-2010, 07:41 PM
A lot of people in Iowa & Illinois are campaigning for Mizzou to the Big Ten.

tk13
04-18-2010, 07:47 PM
You take BYU and Utah out and its dead. PAC 10 and Big 12 know this. It also elimantes the biggest voice in Congress that is complaing about the BCS.

Yeah, possibly. You'd still have TCU. And Air Force and Wyoming won their bowl games this year. Plus New Mexico, UNLV, and SDSU were all good at basketball this year. Colorado State was the only team that didn't go to a bowl or tourney game. They've worked themselves into a good spot.

RustShack
04-18-2010, 08:01 PM
The backups for Texas could probably play in the big ten.

Pitt Gorilla
04-18-2010, 08:13 PM
it will be UNISweet!

duncan_idaho
04-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

Lots of schools outside the Big 12 have recruited Texas successfully based on their contacts with high school coaches. The relationships that have been built in those areas don't dissolve just because Mizzou plays in a different conference. Missouri still is a reasonable drive from the areas it recruits heavily (Dallas and Houston). Missouri, I gurantee, will still play games in Texas if it leaves the state.

And let's be honest... Missouri is almost never going to compete for the Texas kids Oklahoma, Texas, and aTm want.

Missouri mines Texas for a lot of the second-tier players. It can still attract those players, as kids of that caliber sign with Stanford and Minnesota and Purdue and many other schools outside the Big 12 all the time.

DJ's left nut
04-18-2010, 10:33 PM
A) I hate the Big 10. I hate their fans. I hate the fact that they think the slow-ass brand of football they play is the only 'true' form and I hate the fact that it's trumped only by the plodding brand of shit basketball they play over there.

B) I have a post-graduate degree from MU.

As such, I love the idea of trying to run that pack of self-congratulatory dinosaurs off the field/court and certainly won't mind the boost in perceived value of that expensive sheet of paper hanging from my wall.

Frazod
04-18-2010, 10:38 PM
For selfish reasons, this would be great for me. Living in the Chicago area, I'd easily be able to watch more games in person and get them all on TV.

God I hope this happens. I truly see no downside at all.

tk13
04-18-2010, 10:42 PM
I think Mizzou would be interesting because their style of play is so different than what you usually see in the Big Ten... aside from Purdue's run with Brees/Orton.

Same in basketball I guess... although I think Big 10 basketball probably takes a rap because of football. It's not that bad, at least in terms of talent, they've actually had plenty of tourney success. And it's not like most of the other conferences where one or two teams really carry the league every year.

big nasty kcnut
04-19-2010, 02:01 AM
I'll still say the big 12 suprise people and go after Arkansas and Colorado state

Mecca
04-19-2010, 02:49 AM
I wonder if the Big 10 is really interested in expanding to 16, that would be pretty crazy...

The Pac 10 one is easy to figure out, they've always wanted Colorado, and Utah is the other logical choice.

duncan_idaho
04-19-2010, 06:51 AM
I'll still say the big 12 suprise people and go after Arkansas and Colorado state

Why would Arkie leave the SEC, where they get an equal slice of the TV pie (and it's substantial)? Their fanbase also is tied up in the whole SEC thing (quickly becoming very South Carolina-like).

"So what if we didn't do anything! The SEC is the best. S-E-C. S-E-C."

Colorado State brings nothing. No TV, not premier programs, nothing. And Colorado is one of the likely bolters if the Big 12 starts to break up.

I'd guess Memphis, TCU and maybe BYU would be the Big 12's primary targets...

kepp
04-19-2010, 06:54 AM

I suspect our football recruiting would suffer (not sure how much) for a few years, but the move is not all about sports. Academically, moving to the Big10 would help Mizzou, as a university, in every way. We'd be in the bottom 25% of the conference to begin with, but with the additional funding, that would go up over time. I'm totally FOR the move should we get invited. I just hope the administration has the balls to do it.

kepp
04-19-2010, 06:56 AM

I think it would be hard to convince Ark to leave the SEC. They have equal revenue sharing like the Big10, don't they? But I don't know the climate in the SEC. Any Ark fans here that can give us an indication on how they feel about being in the SEC.

BigMeatballDave
04-19-2010, 07:07 AM
A) I hate the Big 10. I hate their fans. I hate the fact that they think the slow-ass brand of football they play is the only 'true' form and I hate the fact that it's trumped only by the plodding brand of shit basketball they play over there.

GFY :)

eazyb81
04-19-2010, 07:22 AM
I think it would be hard to convince Ark to leave the SEC. They have equal revenue sharing like the Big10, don't they? But I don't know the climate in the SEC. Any Ark fans here that can give us an indication on how they feel about being in the SEC.

Not an Arky fan, but 0% chance Arkansas leaves the SEC for a Big 12 that is on the decline after Mizzou and Colorado are gone. The SEC makes more $$$ than the Big Ten, it would make no sense for Arkansas to leave the conference.

The Big 12 is going to be in serious trouble as a legit power conference if Mizzou and Colorado leave and are replaced by two of Colorado State, BYU, TCU, or Memphis.

Swanman
04-19-2010, 07:47 AM
For selfish reasons, this would be great for me. Living in the Chicago area, I'd easily be able to watch more games in person and get them all on TV.

God I hope this happens. I truly see no downside at all.

Mizzou is a real nice fit for football and basketball, competitive in both sports. And from what I am reading they would be compatible academically, which is very important to the conference. I say add Mizzou and Texas and be done with it.

Swanman
04-19-2010, 07:48 AM

As such, I love the idea of trying to run that pack of self-congratulatory dinosaurs off the field/court and certainly won't mind the boost in perceived value of that expensive sheet of paper hanging from my wall.

Look at the Big Ten's success in the postseason in basketball over the last 10 years as a conference. It's anything but "shit basketball". It just looks like it to fans outside of the conference because pretty much every team in the conference plays this thing called "defense".

eazyb81
04-19-2010, 07:49 AM
The only real threat for Mizzou not getting added would be the Big Ten putting the screws to the Big East conference by taking at least 2 of Rutgers/Cuse/Pitt/WVU. This would damage the strength of the conference, and could be enough to twist ND's arm to leave the Big East and come to the Big Ten.

Frazod
04-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Mizzou is a real nice fit for football and basketball, competitive in both sports. And from what I am reading they would be compatible academically, which is very important to the conference. I say add Mizzou and Texas and be done with it.

I say Texas can die screaming in a vat of boiling shit.

kepp
04-19-2010, 08:05 AM

this

KurtCobain
04-19-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm a loser baby
So why don't you kill me?

Mecca
04-19-2010, 03:31 PM
If Mizzou really wanted out the Pac 10 would probably take em....

Coach
04-19-2010, 03:34 PM
All right, let's say if Missouri does go to the Big 10, who would the Big XII replace Missouri with?

Mecca
04-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Another Texas school.

DJ's left nut
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
All right, let's say if Missouri does go to the Big 10, who would the Big XII replace Missouri with?

I think they'd be smart to go after Colorado State.

But they'll go after Houston or Rice instead.

I'm more excited about getting the !@#$ out of this sham of a conference than I am of going to the Big 10.

I have grown to absolutely loathe the Big VI+NORTH

Garcia Bronco
04-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Get a championship game or GTFO

vailpass
04-19-2010, 04:10 PM

What's up bitterman, second-fiddle syndrome got you down?

|Zach|
04-19-2010, 04:32 PM
If Mizzou really wanted out the Pac 10 would probably take em....

No thanks.

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2010, 05:30 PM

BYU

Frazod
04-19-2010, 05:43 PM
What's up bitterman, second-fiddle syndrome got you down?

Good old failass, Iowa's biggest fan since December of 2009.

Funny how you rediscovered your roots right around the same time McDaniels gutted the Broncos.

Of course, I'm sure that's just a coincidence. LMAO

KChiefs1
04-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Texas can kiss my Missouri ass!:p

KChiefs1
04-19-2010, 06:16 PM

My guess is TCU.

vailpass
04-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Good old failass, Iowa's biggest fan since December of 2009.

Funny how you rediscovered your roots right around the same time McDaniels gutted the Broncos.

Of course, I'm sure that's just a coincidence. LMAO

WTF are you talking about blubber boy? I've been going to Kinnick since Bob "3 yards and a cloud of dust" Commings was at the helm. I played basketball behind the bleachers in the old Field House at halftime when Lute Olson roamed the sideline and battled legends like Bobby Knight, Jud Heathcote and Lou Henson.

Question me about whatever you like but not about whether I'm a Hawk through and through. Your bitterness, like your waist line, knows no bounds. Perhaps you'd be a happier person if you got a lap band?

Saul Good
04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I wonder if the Big 10 is really interested in expanding to 16, that would be pretty crazy...

The Pac 10 one is easy to figure out, they've always wanted Colorado, and Utah is the other logical choice.

I can't imagine that they would expand to 16. They have a huge research grant that they don't want to split up that much. Adding one would allow a championship game and would add more revenue to each school than it would cost them by splitting their pie by an eleventh. Expanding to sixteen would cost them a third of their grant. No way does that make sense from an economic standpoint.

Frazod
04-19-2010, 08:54 PM
WTF are you talking about blubber boy? I've been going to Kinnick since Bob "3 yards and a cloud of dust" Commings was at the helm. I played basketball behind the bleachers in the old Field House at halftime when Lute Olson roamed the sideline and battled legends like Bobby Knight, Jud Heathcote and Lou Henson.

Question me about whatever you like but not about whether I'm a Hawk through and through. Your bitterness, like your waist line, knows no bounds. Perhaps you'd be a happier person if you got a lap band?

Sure you did. LMAO

Did you remember to cut the tag off your new Yankees world series cap, fanboy?

Pathetic cunt.

duncan_idaho
04-19-2010, 09:52 PM
I'll say this...

If Missouri leaves and TCU is the addition the Big 12 makes... the conference is definitely doomed.

I could see it surviving if it expanded to 14 and added Memphis, BYU (highly doubt that the Pac-10 will ever allow a religious institution membership) and Boise State.

TCU would merely be a holding pattern, though, while Texas and Oklahoma figure out their next move.

Also just saw a Kevin Harlan tweet naming Rutgers and Missouri as front-runners for the expansion.

My prediction:
Notre Dame says "No" to the Big Ten- again.

Missouri, Rutgers and Pitt join the Big Ten (though I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn and West Virginia join that).

Texas, Utah, Colorado and aTm to the Pac-10.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC.

Big 12 leftovers bring in Memphis, TCU, BYU and Boise State, possibly Nevada or New Mexico to stay at 12.

BWillie
04-19-2010, 10:35 PM
HAHA. Missouri to the Big Ten. LOL

Big Ten might as well shoot themselves.

Welcome Rutgers or Pitt or both to the Big 10 everyone.

KcMizzou
04-19-2010, 10:42 PM

Welcome Rutgers or Pitt or both to the Big 10 everyone.You're letting your personal feelings interfere with logic.

|Zach|
04-19-2010, 10:50 PM
You're letting your personal feelings interfere with logic.

Actually this is a step up for him. In past threads about the same thing he has been confused why it isn't Kansas who is drawing interest.

Maybe he moved on from that. It wasn't hard for anyone else.

BWillie

It is stupid to bring Missouri in if you can get Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, etc. Missouri gets you KC and St Louis TV market. Big deal. I fail to believe they strike out on all of the Big East teams they want. Only one I see that would not want to come over to the Big Ten is Syracuse, and just because of basketball.

|Zach|
It is stupid to bring Missouri in if you can get Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, etc. Missouri gets you KC and St Louis TV market. Big deal. I fail to believe they strike out on all of the Big East teams they want. Only one I see that would not want to come over to the Big Ten is Syracuse, and just because of basketball.

Hey great take.

BWillie
04-19-2010, 10:51 PM

I have no personal feelings against Missouri moving to the Big 10. It would be great for Missouri, but the Big 10 has many, many more viable options. Missouri would be a last resort.

BWillie
04-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Hey great take.

You do realize the difference in the KC and St Louis TV market compared to moving into the New York market don't you? You really aren't that retarded are you?

|Zach|
04-19-2010, 10:52 PM
I have no personal feelings against Missouri moving to the Big 10. It would be great for Missouri, but the Big 10 has many, many more viable options. Missouri would be a last resort.

LMAO

|Zach|
04-19-2010, 10:53 PM
You do realize the difference in the KC and St Louis TV market compared to moving into the New York market don't you? You really aren't that retarded are you?

Because everyone in NY is a Rutgers fan.

Market saturation.

BWillie
04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Because everyone in NY is a Rutgers fan.

Market saturation.

It's all about the Big 10 network. So you are telling me that you disagree that the Big 10 wouldn't want Rutgers, Pitt, or Syracuse over freaking Missouri?

beer bacon
04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Rutgers dominates the NY market!! I AM SOOOO SMARRT

beer bacon
04-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Just think of all the new tv markets Pitt would bring. Genious!!

KcMizzou
04-19-2010, 11:02 PM
I have no personal feelings against Missouri moving to the Big 10. It would be great for Missouri, but the Big 10 has many, many more viable options. Missouri would be a last resort.No, it's your disdain for Mizzou, that I was talking about. You hold MU in low regard. You don't respect the school, or the athletic programs. It's understandable, you're a Beaker. But you should understand that the general perception of Mizzou is not nearly as low as yours.

By all accounts, Mizzou would be a quality addition to the conference.

|Zach|
04-19-2010, 11:07 PM
It's all about the Big 10 network. So you are telling me that you disagree that the Big 10 wouldn't want Rutgers, Pitt, or Syracuse over freaking Missouri?

I am telling you from the beginning you have shown a lack of understanding of the situation in various threads and it has been pretty obvious why you feel the way you feel.

As far as the markets go this area lives and breathes college sports and Mizzou fields really strong teams in both revenue sports as well as great teams in non revenue sports. They have said they are not looking for a whipping boy to add to the conference. In New York your market is split a billion ways to Sunday.

Missouri is bringing new markets that are not as watered down as what you would get getting into a new NY market or worse...Pitt.

Pitt does not extend the Big Ten network's reach. Penn State is the dominant school in the area and already covers the Pennsylvania landscape. Pitt could not sell out its football stadium with a great football team in a city with a metro area of 2.4 million people. Mizzou's attendance was well over 60,000 in a college town.

Frazod
04-19-2010, 11:08 PM

Welcome Rutgers or Pitt or both to the Big 10 everyone.

Another instant Iowa fan, just like failass. Never said shit about it until late last year.

You were just masquerading as a beaker, right? LMAO

HolyHandgernade
04-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I'll say this...

If Missouri leaves and TCU is the addition the Big 12 makes... the conference is definitely doomed.

I could see it surviving if it expanded to 14 and added Memphis, BYU (highly doubt that the Pac-10 will ever allow a religious institution membership) and Boise State.

TCU would merely be a holding pattern, though, while Texas and Oklahoma figure out their next move.

Also just saw a Kevin Harlan tweet naming Rutgers and Missouri as front-runners for the expansion.

My prediction:
Notre Dame says "No" to the Big Ten- again.

Missouri, Rutgers and Pitt join the Big Ten (though I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn and West Virginia join that).

Texas, Utah, Colorado and aTm to the Pac-10.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC.

Big 12 leftovers bring in Memphis, TCU, BYU and Boise State, possibly Nevada or New Mexico to stay at 12.

Why in the world would Texas go to the PAC-10? Texas can command contracts that PAC-10 could barely approach. Why would Texas want to split with them and incur the logistics problems? Texas is master of its own domain, those who think otherwise just don't get it.

|Zach|
04-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Why in the world would Texas go to the PAC-10? Texas can command contracts that PAC-10 could barely approach. Why would Texas want to split with them and incur the logistics problems? Texas is master of its own domain, those who think otherwise just don't get it.

Heh, yea I thought the post kind of came off the rails at that point as well.

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2010, 11:11 PM
I think when its all said and done you will see 4 Super Conferences born.

|Zach|
04-19-2010, 11:13 PM

Creating the college sports version of Pangea!

Ha. I guess it could happen. Itd be interesting to hear a breakdown.

http://www.freewebs.com/morganisrupert/pangea[1].gif

BWillie
04-19-2010, 11:16 PM
No, it's your disdain for Mizzou, that I was talking about. You hold MU in low regard. You don't respect the school, or the athletic programs. It's understandable, you're a Beaker. But you should understand that the general perception of Mizzou is not nearly as low as yours.

By all accounts, Mizzou would be a quality addition to the conference.

I was actually looking at it from a sheer perspective from TV viewers. Other than Texas, I would think Missouri is the best viable option for the Big 10 out of the Big 12 if you are speaking in terms of money, which is what the Big 10 is all about. I don't think the Big 10 wants to move anywhere but East unless they strike out w/ everybody else.

Almost all the Big 10 conference fans seem to think the Big 10 should expand as follows:

1) Notre Dame (Not going to happen)
2) Texas & Texas A&M (probably not going to happen)
3) Basically any Big East school (probable)
4) Nebraska and Missouri (if they strike out w/ everybody else)

I am speaking about this as an Iowa fan. Iowa will get a shit ton more money if they can move East compared to otherwise. If the Big 10 does move to 16 (which I don't think it will) then I think Missouri will get an invite. One thing is for sure, Missouri would be retarded to turn down a Big 10 invite. I think every school would w/ the exception of Texas because of the way they can monopolize the Big 12 for their best interests.

HolyHandgernade
04-19-2010, 11:18 PM
If you really wanted a school like Texas and to create a super-conference, it should go more like this:

Instead of two divisions, I would create four "quads":

Northwest Quad:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska

Southwest Quad:

Missouri
Kansas
Texas
Texas A&M

Southeast Quad:

Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern

Northwest Quad:

Michigan
Michigan St.
Penn St.
Ohio St.

Each team plays their quad opponents annually and two teams from the other three quads on a home and home rotation basis giving each team 9 conference games in the year. This leaves two games to schedule in the non con and actually encourages teams to find at least one quality non con opponent because that one game won't hurt its national chances in the overall picture. This way Texas can schedule OU, KU can schedule KSU, Nebraska can get Colorado, Missouri can get Arkansas, etc. Also, it keeps long standing traditional rivalries in tact. For example, Minn-Wisc is one of the longest running uninterrupted rivalries that might get upset if the hypothetical super conference splits into a traditional two division format.

Now, this is where it can get interesting. Each quad sends a representative to the Big 16 Playoffs (not just a championship game). This keeps winning your quad and your out of quad conference games both important, because quad games would be used as a first tie breaker. This also gives the Big 16 three games to award to different sites each year, plus the additional revenue. A champion from this type of format almost ensures a team in the National Title Game because strength of schedule would go through the roof as well as being impressive to human poll voters. It would, of course, mean two extra games for the finalists.

In basketball, I would have home and away contests with all your quad teams plus one game against every other conference team, switching the home site annually, for a total of 18 games. I would seed the tournament based on overall record, regardless of quad, and two initial sites again for the opening rounds (Tue & Wed) and a finals bracket at a third site for the winners (Fri & Sat). Again, more cities involved, more revenue potential.

The scenario then paints OU and OSU bolting for an expanded SEC, Colorado joining the new "PAC 12", and leaving KSU, ISU, Baylor and Texas Tech to find shelter in a CUSA, WAC, or MWC or possibly PAC-10 if they'll have them.

|Zach|
04-19-2010, 11:22 PM
I was actually looking at it from a sheer perspective from TV viewers. Other than Texas, I would think Missouri is the best viable option for the Big 10 out of the Big 12 if you are speaking in terms of money, which is what the Big 10 is all about. I don't think the Big 10 wants to move anywhere but East unless they strike out w/ everybody else.

Almost all the Big 10 conference fans seem to think the Big 10 should expand as follows:

1) Notre Dame (Not going to happen)
2) Texas & Texas A&M (probably not going to happen)
3) Basically any Big East school (probable)
4) Nebraska and Missouri (if they strike out w/ everybody else)

I am speaking about this as an Iowa fan. Iowa will get a shit ton more money if they can move East compared to otherwise. If the Big 10 does move to 16 (which I don't think it will) then I think Missouri will get an invite. One thing is for sure, Missouri would be retarded to turn down a Big 10 invite. I think every school would w/ the exception of Texas because of the way they can monopolize the Big 12 for their best interests.

It has been said that Iowa and Illinois are all about Missouri coming to the Big 10. The built up natural rivalry that would come about from Iowa and Missouri would be absolutely and hugely beneficial to Iowa.

BWillie
04-19-2010, 11:25 PM
It has been said that Iowa and Illinois are all about Missouri coming to the Big 10. The built up natural rivalry that would come about from Iowa and Missouri would be absolutely and hugely beneficial to Iowa.

I'm talking about Big 10 conference fans for the most part, most Iowa fans don't seem to think about it in terms of $$. As an Iowa fan, I think the more money to my alma mater is the better option. Mighigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Mich State fans is what drives the conference....they want to go East. Have you ever been to those campuses? They beat off to anything involving the Big 10. There are alot of Iowa fans that would like to see ISU join the Big 10 along w/ Nebraska for rivalry purposes. I mean, there are actually people on the Iowa message boards that think ISU has a shot at coming over to the Big 10. Zero percent chance.

|Zach|
04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm talking about Big 10 conference fans. Mighigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Mich State fans is what drives the conference....they want to go East. Have you ever been to those campuses? They beat off to anything involving the Big 10. There are alot of Iowa fans that would like to see ISU join the Big 10 along w/ Nebraska for rivalry purposes. I mean, there are actually people on the Iowa message boards that think ISU has a shot at coming over to the Big 10. Zero percent chance.

The only difference is I am referring to a team that is actually in the discussion. Not sure how you can discount how much Iowa has to gain by gaining a locked in neighbor state in sports. I mean. I know everyone in NY loves Rutgers and everything. heh.

BWillie
04-19-2010, 11:36 PM
The only difference is I am referring to a team that is actually in the discussion. Not sure how you can discount how much Iowa has to gain by gaining a locked in neighbor state in sports. I mean. I know everyone in NY loves Rutgers and everything. heh.

NYC is the #1 media market in America.

There are 20 million people in the NYC metro area.

There are like 2.5 million in the St Louis metro area.

Rutgers had 53,000 students. Missouri has 30,000 and I bet a whole hell of alot of them don't stay in the area as prevalent as those that went to Rutgers.

There doesn't need to be that many die hard Rutgers fans in the area, and there still are plenty.

|Zach|
04-19-2010, 11:37 PM

Rutgers had 53,000 students. Missouri has 30,000 and I bet a whole hell of alot of them don't stay in the area as prevalent as those that went to Rutgers.

There doesn't need to be that many die hard Rutgers fans in the area, and there still are plenty.

Multiplied by how many other sports\entertainment options.

Seriously...how many do you think? Not even getting into the colleges. The pro teams alone.

Swanman
04-20-2010, 09:09 AM

Not a large percentage of the 20 million people in NYC give a shit about college sports. As Zach said, too many other options to watch, with about 1,934 pro teams in the immediate area.

Saulbadguy
04-20-2010, 09:19 AM
That will break away from the NCAA...

siberian khatru
04-20-2010, 09:25 AM
That will break away from the NCAA...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/sports/20colleges.html

College Conferences Ponder Expansion, and Their Extinction

By PETE THAMEL

With the 11 Football Bowl Subdivision conference commissioners gathering in Scottsdale, Ariz., on Tuesday for the annual Bowl Championship Series meetings, the prospect of significant change in the collegiate conference landscape is becoming increasingly likely.

The central player is the Big Ten, which, as The Chicago Tribune reported over the weekend, has moved up its timetable for expanding. Prominent conference and university officials met on Sunday in Washington to discuss the subject.

The scope of that expansion, along with Notre Dame’s decision whether to keep its football independence, will determine just how much the landscape shifts in college sports. This comes on top of the likelihood of a 96-team N.C.A.A. basketball tournament.

For universities, the talk is driven by a never-ending search for more revenue. For fans, a new alignment could mean not only the end of some longtime rivalries but also the creation of new annual matchups, some appealing and some not.

One thing is clear this week: the subject will dominate the B.C.S. meetings.

“I don’t know what else we’d be talking about,” said Louisville’s athletic director, Tom Jurich, who will attend on behalf of the Big East.

Jake Crouthamel, Syracuse’s former athletic director, articulated in a telephone interview Sunday night a dire future for the Big East. Crouthamel, who helped form the Big East as Syracuse’s athletic director from 1978 to 2005, said he did not see the conference’s surviving.

He predicted that Syracuse would be in a different conference within five years and that there would be “utter turmoil” in college sports.

“I’ve been thinking about this for quite a while,” Crouthamel said. “I don’t see a whole lot of alternatives for anyone. You only control what your conference has. You don’t control what the Big Ten or the Pac-10 or the SEC does. What do you do? I don’t know what you do.”

The best chance for the Big East to survive, he said, would be if the Big Ten, with 11 teams, adds only Notre Dame.

That would increase the Big Ten to the 12 teams necessary to have a postseason championship game and increase the league’s national profile.

What it would not do is significantly increase the Big Ten’s television footprint for its successful new network, which is really the driving force behind its proposed expansion.

That is why the Big Ten is toying with the idea of a 16-team league that could include colleges like Missouri, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Connecticut. If that happens, Crouthamel predicted other conferences would catch up by adding teams.

The counterintuitive aspect of the Big Ten expansion talk is that it is not always the quality of the program, but the television market that it would deliver, that is the most important factor. Though probably not pining to watch Rutgers or Syracuse football, Big Ten officials like all the television sets in New Jersey and upstate New York.

Eventually, Crouthamel said he saw the Big Ten, the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Southeastern Conference and the Pacific-10 forming four 16-team superconferences and leaving the umbrella of the N.C.A.A. (Just imagine the fight between the SEC and the Pac-10 for Texas.) He said that those leagues would form their own basketball tournament to rival the N.C.A.A. tournament.

“If you look at the history of what’s been going on for the last decade, I think it’s leading in that direction,” he said.

Like the Big East, the Big 12 is also vulnerable, but not as much because Texas does not appear a realistic candidate to go to the Big Ten. The Big 12 could afford to lose a program like Missouri. But in the Big East, which has eight teams that play football, the loss of multiple teams would be hard to overcome.

Jim Boeheim, the Syracuse men’s basketball coach, did not share what he called Crouthamel’s bleak outlook. Neither did John Marinatto, the Big East commissioner.

“Although I admire and respect Jake very much, he also predicted the Big East could not survive the challenges of 2005, and we are actually stronger today than we have been in our history,” Marinatto said.

In the aftermath of the A.C.C.’s plucking of Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College in 2003, the Big East put in place what would appear to be some prohibitive measures for conferences swiping universities. One is a $5 million penalty for a university to leave. The other is a minimum 27-month waiting period — an eternity in college football — for a Big East university to join a new league.

But the financial bounty awaiting teams going to the Big Ten is more than double what they receive from the Big East now.

The estimated Big Ten payouts are more than $20 million a team, compared with the Big East payouts of around $7 million.

“I’d love to see the Big East stay intact as much as possible, as there’s a lot of positives and it serves as a great home,” Jurich said. “But if they start gobbling people up. ...”

The Big East built its reputation as a basketball power, but the recent talk has only highlighted how little basketball is considered in expansion.

Football, as the old saying goes, drives the bus in college athletic departments.

Boeheim protested the potential of Syracuse’s moving to the A.C.C. seven years ago. Crouthamel said that Syracuse was invited and then uninvited after the Virginia governor stepped in to help Virginia Tech be invited.

Boeheim said that Boston College’s move to the A.C.C. had not worked well for that college and said that Syracuse would be an odd fit in the Big Ten for basketball, much like Miami is in the A.C.C. and Penn State in the Big Ten. He did not necessarily disagree with Crouthamel’s statement that Syracuse would be in a different league in five years, only predicting that he would be “off fishing” when it happened.

“How that all works out down the road someday, I can’t figure it out,” he said.

Until the Big Ten makes a decision, few will be able to figure it out. Until then, the college sports world will remain in flux, braced for change.

vailpass
04-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Sure you did. LMAO

Did you remember to cut the tag off your new Yankees world series cap, fanboy?

Pathetic ****.

What a bitter fat fcuk you are Frazzy. Is it all that whale blubber you sink your bloated mushroom into? It's a good thing you are childless, inflicting your misery on a young mind would be child cruelty.
Cheers, pig fucker.

Frazod
04-20-2010, 12:04 PM
What a bitter fat fcuk you are Frazzy. Is it all that whale blubber you sink your bloated mushroom into? It's a good thing you are childless, inflicting your misery on a young mind would be child cruelty.
Cheers, pig fucker.

Oooooo you seem angry. I hope you won't feel the need to bludgeon a puppy to death on my account.

And while "bitter" seems to be your new favorite word, I fail to understand why would hating a loathsome trolling inbred coward fuck like you would make me bitter. Doesn't really make any sense. Perhaps you should find a new word.

BTW, Cleveland's doing well in the playoffs. I assume you're a lifelong Cavs fan too, right? LMAO

vailpass
04-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Oooooo you seem angry. I hope you won't feel the need to bludgeon a puppy to death on my account.

And while "bitter" seems to be your new favorite word, I fail to understand why would hating a loathsome trolling inbred coward **** like you would make me bitter. Doesn't really make any sense. Perhaps you should find a new word.

BTW, Cleveland's doing well in the playoffs. I assume you're a lifelong Cavs fan too, right? LMAO

Are you irritiable today? Did they pump your stomach and find sweat pants and plastic bags?

Frazod
04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Are you irritiable today? Did they pump your stomach and find sweat pants and plastic bags?

Perhaps they pumped yours and found a gallon of jiz. Oh wait, that's Wednesday. Sorry.