PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Oklahoma City steals KC’s thunder as Sprint Center still searches for a pro team

Deberg_1990
04-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Nice read.....sucks that it never quite worked out for KC...

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/17/1883818/oklahoma-city-steals-kcs-thunder.html

OKLAHOMA CITY | There should be no story from here for you to read. In that different world, this story would not come from Oklahoma City because there would be no Oklahoma City Thunder.

Instead, this story should be about the Kansas City Thunder. It would be coming from the Sprint Center.

Oh, we’d probably call the team something different. The Kansas City Cyclones, perhaps. Or the Storm. Maybe even a personal favorite: the Kansas City Stars.

Whatever the name, there would be a real NBA or NHL team playing at the Sprint Center. But a bizarre and uncontrollable set of circumstances have conspired against Kansas City, leaving us with near-empty chances of ever landing a team.

What’s worse is that in that other world, our team would probably be pretty good, too — if it was the Thunder, we’d have NBA scoring leader Kevin Durant and be matched against the Lakers in the playoffs.

Yep. A Kansas City team would be in the playoffs.

“Something will work out,” says former mayor Kay Barnes, instrumental in getting the Sprint Center built. “And we’ll all look back on the prior circumstance and say, ‘Aren’t we lucky that didn’t work out?’ ”

She may be right, but it’s hard to see at the moment as the Sprint Center approaches its third anniversary and Anschutz Entertainment Group is set to lose exclusive negotiating rights on landing a team.

The arena has had more than 3 million spectators for more than 300 events and makes millions for the city even without an anchor tenant, but the funding to build it was passed in part because of AEG president and CEO Tim Leiweke’s public confidence in bringing Kansas City an NBA or NHL team.

At this point, it’s a stretch to think that will happen. Even as behind-the-scenes groundwork continues, some whose job it is to be optimistic about such things privately use words like “slim” and “tough” in describing the chances.

The more you look into it, the more Kansas City’s pursuit of another team feels like a schoolteacher shopping for a Jaguar.

• • •

The easy thing here is to blame Leiweke and AEG. They’re the ones who talked so confidently about attracting a team to Kansas City, the ones who let the public think a vote for Sprint Center funding was a vote to bring a third major-league team.

This is on them, it seems.

Leiweke and Sprint Center general manager and senior vice president Brenda Tinnen did not return messages for this story — they’re sensitive about the topic — but they’d be justified in pointing to a long string of happenings completely out of their or Kansas City’s control that have kept a team from relocating.

The most obvious was Silicon Valley financier William “Boots” Del Biaggio turning out to be a criminal. He tried to buy into the NHL’s Nashville Predators with the idea of bringing the team to Kansas City, but last year was sentenced to eight years in prison for forging financial documents.

Then there was Kansas City’s flirtation with the Pittsburgh Penguins, which may have given us one of the NHL’s most exciting teams if not for a last-second save by the league and Pennsylvania politicians.

Revisionist history says Kansas City was just used as leverage, but decision-makers with the Penguins had begun planning on what the franchise would look like in Kansas City.

You don’t hear as much about us missing out on the NBA team that’s now in Oklahoma City, but those circumstances are the most bizarre of all.

The team moved from Seattle after being purchased by a group led by Oklahoma City businessman Clay Bennett, who failed to land the NHL expansion team that went to Columbus.

Nobody involved thinks the NBA would’ve approved the relocation if not for Oklahoma City’s two seasons of overwhelming support for the Hornets when they were displaced by Hurricane Katrina.

And Oklahoma City mayor Mick Cornett all but says his city wouldn’t have had the Hornets those two years if the Sprint Center would’ve been open.

“I would’ve had a much tougher time, that’s all I can tell you,” he says. “The Sprint Center wasn’t finished. That would’ve been a major hurdle if it had been built.”

So, to review, Kansas City is without an NBA or NHL team because a rich guy turned out to be a crook, a politician made an 11th-hour move to keep a beloved franchise, Oklahoma City failed to land a hockey team more than a decade ago, and one of the worst natural disasters in our country’s history hit two years too early.

That’s a lot of strange occurrences to block something that might not work anyway.

• • •

The message from research is clear: Kansas City has no business even considering another team. There are a number of ways to do this.

American City Business Journals did a study that showed the Kansas City region’s total personal income is $57 billion short of what’s needed to support the teams we already have.

The study included 82 markets in the United States and Canada, and just four were more overextended. Even worse for Kansas City, the study only factored football, baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer, leaving out Kansas Speedway and the Big 12 and other events that demand the area’s attention and money.

Here’s another way to measure. Nielsen ranks Kansas City as the nation’s 31st biggest market. You have to go all the way up to No. 23 Pittsburgh to find the smallest market with three major-league teams — and remember, they nearly lost the NHL’s Penguins and the Pirates consistently rank near the bottom of MLB’s attendance.

The basic math on attendance and ticket prices is roughly the same for both the NBA and NHL: median attendance is just over 17,000 for 41 regular season home dates, and average ticket prices are about $50.

That price is more than twice the Royals’ average of $19.38. And though it’s been a while since the Royals have been competitive, they haven’t ranked higher than 22nd in attendance since 2003. Last year, even while reopening a stadium after $250 million worth of renovations, the Royals were 26th in attendance.

For a point of reference, that’s one spot below the Indians, who were in a 15-year-old stadium, and tied the Royals for last place.

You can make a minor stretch and say Milwaukee — 35th in Nielsen — is the country’s smallest three-team market. But they put 3 million people at Brewers games last year, ninth in baseball.

• • •

Perhaps most important is the question of whether attracting a team would even be worth it.

The Sprint Center is the country’s best arena without a major pro team, but the novelty has worn off by now. We’re already two years too late for an arena honeymoon, and that’s nothing compared to Kansas City’s relative lack of corporate money and ownership candidates.

The Pacers made news in recent days by saying that unless Indianapolis — which funded Conseco Fieldhouse and charges no rent — covered operations costs that “everything is on the table,” including a relocation.

The NHL’s Coyotes are working on a deal in which Glendale, Ariz., would not only charge zero rent but pay the team to play there.

At some point, the deals become so tilted toward the teams that they’re no longer viable for the cities.

“You could get a team to play there,” says sports analyst Neil deMause, author of “Field of Schemes.”

“But you’d basically have to say, ‘We’re going to subsidize your costs and we’ll pay you to play there.’ At that point, well, how badly do you want an NBA team?”

In answering that question, mayor Mark Funkhouser says landing a team is “not life or death, but important.”

Funkhouser says he’d be more concerned if the Sprint Center was losing money, and less concerned if the Power & Light District was making money.

“It’s clear to me from the get-go the thing was built on specs,” Funkhouser says. “We invested millions of dollars. We didn’t have a team, and as far as I could tell, no prospects of getting a team.”

• • •

So Kansas City’s other life, that dream scenario, continues to play out five hours south on Interstate 35. In so many ways, Oklahoma City is like Kansas City Lite. That’s what makes it so frustrating.

Oklahoma City is fine, but has about two-thirds the population of Kansas City. The Ford Center is nice, but not as attractive as the Sprint Center. Bricktown is OK for nightlife, but the Power & Light District would be so much better with a major pro team across the street.

Next to Zack Greinke, Durant would be Kansas City’s most popular athlete. We’d have the NBA’s scoring champion and the American League’s Cy Young winner all to ourselves, Chiefs players and local business leaders filling the Sprint Center’s courtside seats for the playoffs.

We’d be the ones chanting “MVP!” when Durant is at the foul line, the ones watching the world’s best athletes and least-clothed cheerleaders and most elaborate pregame laser shows and everything else that goes along with having an NBA team.

But that life doesn’t exist, at least not for us.

It’s being enjoyed by Oklahoma City.

And each day that passes is another step away from ever landing a third major-league team in Kansas City.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-19-2010, 08:39 AM
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/kcomaha/20-KCKingsCourt.gif

Do it.

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Man that is depressing. The longer this goes on I doubt KC will get a team.

Brock
04-19-2010, 08:44 AM
If you have to pay a team to play in your facility, forget it.

-King-
04-19-2010, 08:47 AM
The thunder are dead to me. Fuck em.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2010, 08:50 AM
The dumbasses sports writers keep forgetting that a Oklahoma City resident brought the fucking team to his hometown. He wasn't going to move it to Kansas City. It was OKC or bust.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-19-2010, 08:50 AM
LOL. Umm, Seattle was the city that got robbed here. Christ.

eazyb81
04-19-2010, 08:51 AM
It is a pipe dream that KC will get a 3rd pro team, can't believe KC residents actually fell for it.

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 08:52 AM

No one cares about Seattle and their cheap asses :)

OnTheWarpath15
04-19-2010, 08:53 AM

This.

kepp
04-19-2010, 08:54 AM
It is a pipe dream that KC will get a 3rd pro team, can't believe KC residents actually fell for it.

Pretty much this.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
No one cares about Seattle and their cheap asses :)

Heh, somebody does. Otherwise I wouldn't keep whining about it. Better than going all Timothy McVeigh I s'pose.

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Heh, somebody does. Otherwise I wouldn't keep whining about it. Better than going all Timothy McVeigh I s'pose.

I am just glad I am in driving distance of a good NBA team thanks to Seattle :D

KCUnited
04-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Garth Brooks is our 3rd pro team.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
I am just glad I am in driving distance of a good NBA team thanks to Seattle :D

Yeah. Well, enjoy.

Deberg_1990
04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Mellinger brings it up in his column...

But do you guys truly think KC can support $$$$ 3 pro teams?? Thats alot of entertainment dollars spread out....

L.A. Chieffan
04-19-2010, 09:05 AM
The only reason OKC got the Sonics was because they were sold to an Oklahoma oil-billionaire that was ol' buddies with David Stern.

All KC has to do is get one of those and you're in.

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Yeah. Well, enjoy.

Are you still sore about this Flops?

BTW I am just messing with you. It sucks to lose your team.

L.A. Chieffan
04-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Dont worry flop, there'll be another team in Seattle soon. Theres no way they can ignore that market forever. (Well it is the NBA, not the smartest ownership group)

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Mellinger brings it up in his column...

But do you guys truly think KC can support $$$$ 3 pro teams?? Thats alot of entertainment dollars spread out....

St. Louis and Pittsburgh do. KC gets fucked in population bc Topeka and St. Joe aren't counted in, but the same radius that St. Louis metro is and apply it to KC and they are identical. I think NBA would be better bc it would have larger regional appeal with no team in St. Louis.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-19-2010, 09:10 AM
I get sick of hearing people refer to Seattle as a cheap city. This whole thing was planned by David Stern from the beginning. We had just built Safeco, and Qwest within the last few years. And we spent hundreds of millions of dollars renovating Key Arena back in the mid 90's. We're not cheap. We were fucking robbed.

Now, I know you guys don't give a shit. That's fine. I'm moving on, but it's taking time. I hope you guys don't ever have to deal with the Chiefs leaving town. Or the Royals for that matter. But let's not get this thing twisted. Seattle has bent over backwards in the last 15 years to keep their sports teams.

I hope David Stern dies a slow, miserable, painful death. After he watches his family go first. Maybe I'm not getting over it like I thought I was.............................

Mr. Flopnuts
04-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Are you still sore about this Flops?

BTW I am just messing with you. It sucks to lose your team.

Intent is everything. I know you're not trying to be an asshole in a malicious way. :D

But yeah, it does suck. The Sonics were my 2nd favorite team in all of sports behind the Chiefs. I was passionate.

Dont worry flop, there'll be another team in Seattle soon. Theres no way they can ignore that market forever. (Well it is the NBA, not the smartest ownership group)

Fuck 'em. Sincerely. I'll never watch it again. Thanks though. :)

Mr. Arrowhead
04-19-2010, 09:14 AM
I do think OKC was a better fit, knowing they had no major pro teams there, and they would be "the show" of the city.

OnTheWarpath15
04-19-2010, 09:14 AM
St. Louis and Pittsburgh do. KC gets fucked in population bc Topeka and St. Joe aren't counted in, but the same radius that St. Louis metro is and apply it to KC and they are identical. I think NBA would be better bc it would have larger regional appeal with no team in St. Louis.

KC isn't supporting the two teams they have at the moment.

I know, here comes the "we'll support a winner" speech. The hockey team here in STL had 33 sellouts over 41 homes games - for a team that missed the playoffs - and who have pretty high ticket prices, IMO. ($200 for a club seat, $100 for lower level between goal lines)

That's support.

If you were an owner moving to a new market, would you take the chance on moving to KC, where you'll get support only if you're winning? Or somewhere where you're the only game in town?

Any market will support a winner.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-19-2010, 09:15 AM
One last thing. People come on this site and show the kind of raw emotion that I have over this and they get fucking lambasted and abused. I do appreciate you guys keeping it to friendly banter. You'd think after 3 years people would move on. This city hasn't.

OnTheWarpath15
04-19-2010, 09:16 AM
One last thing. People come on this site and show the kind of raw emotion that I have over this and they get fucking lambasted and abused. I do appreciate you guys keeping it to friendly banter. You'd think after 3 years people would move on. This city hasn't.

I feel for you, Flop.

If the Blues ever were stolen from STL, I'd feel the same way.

KCChiefsMan
04-19-2010, 09:18 AM
the Sprint Center could work, but it's hard to imagine KC being a good spot for an NBA team. It's not very appealing when they look at how the Royals are doing, even though location is a huge factor I'm sure, but I bet that an owner of the NBA team is going to use the Royals as a comparison and decide that KC is not a great place for anything other than the Chiefs.

blaise
04-19-2010, 09:19 AM
I thought it was funny when the Sprint Center opened and people would call radio shows and debate whether KC should get an NHL team or an NBA team, as if they could pick and choose. "We don't need the Predators here. We need to wait for an NBA team."
It's like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin. It's not coming.
And even if (which I doubt) the Sprint Center gets an NBA team in three or four years it would only be about 4 years after that they'd be asking for stadium renovations.

okcchief
04-19-2010, 09:21 AM
I would have been happy either way. I'm from KC and live in OKC. However, I like them 20 minutes away from my house :)

The organization is making all of the right moves and the future is bright. I'll be going to both games this week and can't wait. It will be my first NBA playoff game.

I'll agree with Flopnuts that Stern was working with Bennett to get a team in OKC after the success of the Hornets. In fact, George Shinn would have kept the Hornets here if it was up to him. This town has nothing to compete with the product and the town is going crazy over them. It's kind of like a Green Bay situation. However, if Seattle puts a new stadium to vote they couldn't have moved the team. Ultimately, Seattle could live without them and Oklahoma City was wanting any team they could get their hands on.

I hope the Hornets end up going to KC. I still like that team from their time here and Chris Paul is a pleasure to watch every night.

Good luck KC.

Deberg_1990
04-19-2010, 09:23 AM
I do think OKC was a better fit, knowing they had no major pro teams there, and they would be "the show" of the city.

Yea, pretty much....they were obviously starved for a pro sports team there.

I feel for guys like Flop though....that would suck to have the Royals or Chiefs ripped from KC.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-19-2010, 09:23 AM
I would have been happy either way. I'm from KC and live in OKC. However, I like them 20 minutes away from my house :)

The organization is making all of the right moves and the future is bright. I'll be going to both games this week and can't wait. It will be my first NBA playoff game.

I'll agree with Flopnuts that Stern was working with Bennett to get a team in OKC after the success of the Hornets. In fact, George Shinn would have kept the Hornets here if it was up to him. This town has nothing to compete with the product and the town is going crazy over them. It's kind of like a Green Bay situation. However, if Seattle puts a new stadium to vote they couldn't have moved the team. Ultimately, Seattle could live without them and Oklahoma City was wanting any team they could get their hands on.

I hope the Hornets end up going to KC. I still like that team from their time here and Chris Paul is a pleasure to watch every night.

Good luck KC.

I wish it wasn't my team, but I truly don't begrudge you guys for landing them. OKC will be a great basketball town. That's all you'll ever get out of me. :D

blaise
04-19-2010, 09:24 AM
the Sprint Center could work, but it's hard to imagine KC being a good spot for an NBA team. It's not very appealing when they look at how the Royals are doing, even though location is a huge factor I'm sure, but I bet that an owner of the NBA team is going to use the Royals as a comparison and decide that KC is not a great place for anything other than the Chiefs.

It's like someone else said, KC could support it if the team was good. If you get a group of turds with guaranteed contracts that you can't move people aren't going to want to drive downtown on a Tuesday night to pay to see them. And I know some people say, "There's a star on every NBA team people will pay to see." That's false in my opinion. The list of stars people will turn out in numbers to see is smaller than people think. People that nake that argument act like people will buy tickets to see guys like Gilbert Arenas and Chris Bosh. They won't.

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 09:27 AM

I know, here comes the "we'll support a winner" speech. The hockey team here in STL had 33 sellouts over 41 homes games - for a team that missed the playoffs - and who have pretty high ticket prices, IMO. ($200 for a club seat, $100 for lower level between goal lines)

That's support.

If you were an owner moving to a new market, would you take the chance on moving to KC, where you'll get support only if you're winning? Or somewhere where you're the only game in town?

KC supports about 4 teams at minimum if you count all the college teams around the area.

blaise
04-19-2010, 09:28 AM
KC supports about 4 teams at minimum if you count all the college teams around the area.

People have emotional attachments to the college teams though. There's not going to be any emotional attachment to an NBA of NHL team. There will be a honeymoon period that could last for a long time if a team succeeds, but there won't be any loyalty if the team sucks.

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2010, 09:29 AM

That's support.

St. Louis doesn't support the Rams. But the Blues are the Chiefs of NHL. St. Louis loves them to death.

The main thing an owner will look at is corporate sponsorship money and suite sales. Sprint Center is sold out on their suites. The biggest thing is teams don't just move overnight. Islanders and Kings are the two I would keep the closest watch on.

eazyb81
04-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Yea, pretty much....they were obviously starved for a pro sports team there.

I feel for guys like Flop though....that would suck to have the Royals or Chiefs ripped from KC.

Maybe, but not to discount flop's feelings, Seattle still has two pro teams in the Mariners and Seahawks.

I think the pro leagues would be wise to stop trying to jam 3+ pro teams in cities, and instead start heading to cities that don't have a pro presence yet. Those cities/fans are going to be the ones that really get excited for a team and will spend, spend, spend because they now feel like they've made the big time.

You don't see many 1 pro team cities that lack fan support; it's all they've got.

blaise
04-19-2010, 09:33 AM
St. Louis doesn't support the Rams. But the Blues are the Chiefs of NHL. St. Louis loves them to death.

The main thing an owner will look at is corporate sponsorship money and suite sales. Sprint Center is sold out on their suites. The biggest thing is teams don't just move overnight. Islanders and Kings are the two I would keep the closest watch on.

The Islanders talk about moving, but I can't see them leaving the NYC market. I know there's more Rangers fans there and Devils fans, too, but the market is over 10 million people in Metro NYC and Long Island.

Mr. Flopnuts
Maybe, but not to discount flop's feelings, Seattle still has two pro teams in the Mariners and Seahawks.

I think the pro leagues would be wise to stop trying to jam 3+ pro teams in cities, and instead start heading to cities that don't have a pro presence yet. Those cities/fans are going to be the ones that really get excited for a team and will spend, spend, spend because they now feel like they've made the big time.

You don't see many 1 pro team cities that lack fan support; it's all they've got.

That's a very valid point. We did support those 3 teams though. Even when they were losing their asses off. Imagine KC just paying to renovate Arrowhead, and then 10 years later the Hunts come and say build us a new stadium or we're leaving town. What do you guys think would happen? Combine that with having just built a new stadium for the Royals and a 3rd mystery team within the last decade. The deck was stacked in our case.

notorious
. Those cities/fans are going to be the ones that really get excited for a team and will spend, spend, spend because they now feel like they've made the big time.

This.

OnTheWarpath15

Wrong on the Rams.

My contact inside said they made more money on ticket sales last year than the year before.

STH's there have PSL's, and most aren't willing to drop.

So while it appears that no one is at the games, all the tickets, minus the ones in the upper corners, have sold before the season ever started.

Unlike KC, where STH's have bailed out, and most of the empty seats you see on gameday really are empty seats.

It pains me to say it, but there is no doubt in my mind that STL has almost a 2-1 edge in STH's.

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Wrong on the Rams.

My contact inside said they made more money on ticket sales last year than the year before.

STH's there have PSL's, and most aren't willing to drop.

So while it appears that no one is at the games, all the tickets, minus the ones in the upper corners, have sold before the season ever started.

Unlike KC, where STH's have bailed out, and most of the empty seats you see on gameday really are empty seats.

It pains me to say it, but there is no doubt in my mind that STL has almost a 2-1 edge in STH's.

Forgot about the PSL's. Talk about raping your fans even more.

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 09:35 AM
People have emotional attachments to the college teams though. There's not going to be any emotional attachment to an NBA of NHL team. There will be a honeymoon period that could last for a long time if a team succeeds, but there won't be any loyalty if the team sucks.

I agree but IMO it makes KC a little more unique having 2-3 major college programs all in this small area competing for everyone's entertainment dollars.

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Well Sprint Center is still raking in money though even without a team
http://www.sprintcenter.com/default.asp?sprintcenter=98&objId=165

OnTheWarpath15
04-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Forgot about the PSL's. Talk about raping your fans even more.

Yeah, but they are a one-time cost that in most cases, were paid for 15 years ago.

If people wanted to leave, they'd leave.

vailpass
04-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Wow.

okcchief
04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
I wish it wasn't my team, but I truly don't begrudge you guys for landing them. OKC will be a great basketball town. That's all you'll ever get out of me. :D

I feel you.

I hate when teams move but it's nice to have a team here. I would be pissed if the Chiefs or Royals ever move. I don't know why since they have been aggrivating me for so long.

I'm enjoying this team though. Sam Presit > Scott Pioli and Dayton Moore. Not that it takes much :)

CaliforniaChief
05-07-2010, 08:10 AM
I was reading an article on the Coyotes' deal with Reinsdorf falling apart but that other than the backup bidder keeping them in Phoenix the next plan was for them to head to Winnipeg.

Are there ANY prospects for Kansas City to land a professional team in the next couple of years? NHL or NBA? Just curious and hopeful for SOMETHING soon.

Lzen
05-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Intent is everything. I know you're not trying to be an asshole in a malicious way. :D

But yeah, it does suck. The Sonics were my 2nd favorite team in all of sports behind the Chiefs. I was passionate.

**** 'em. Sincerely. I'll never watch it again. Thanks though. :)

Just curious. Why are you a Chiefs fan while living in Seattle. You apparently supported the Sonics? Why not the Seahawks? Not judging. Just wondering.

ChiefsCountry
05-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I was reading an article on the Coyotes' deal with Reinsdorf falling apart but that other than the backup bidder keeping them in Phoenix the next plan was for them to head to Winnipeg.
Are there ANY prospects for Kansas City to land a professional team in the next couple of years? NHL or NBA? Just curious and hopeful for SOMETHING soon.

Islanders in the NHL and Kings in the NBA.
Posted via Mobile Device

CaliforniaChief
05-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Islanders in the NHL and Kings in the NBA.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd be cool with both!

KurtCobain
05-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Just curious. Why are you a Chiefs fan while living in Seattle. You apparently supported the Sonics? Why not the Seahawks? Not judging. Just wondering.

Because the Chiefs ****ing rule.

Mojo Jojo
07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
FWIW....
Bob Fescoe is reporting the Islanders didn't get a new arena, and are looking at KC, Vegas, Seattle and Brooklyn as possible destinations.
KC being played again?

Priest31kc
07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
FWIW....
Bob Fescoe is reporting the Islanders didn't get a new arena, and are looking at KC, Vegas, Seattle and Brooklyn as possible destinations.
KC being played again?

Would much rather get an NBA team, but I'd take NHL.

Bearcat
07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
FWIW....
KC being played again?

Hmmm... it's been rumored for a while, but it's the first I've heard of it in a while. Here's to the Kansas City Inlanders! :toast:

CaliforniaChief
07-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Hmmm... it's been rumored for a while, but it's the first I've heard of it in a while. Here's to the Kansas City Inlanders! :toast:

I'd definitely be a fan of theirs. I never latched on to a team after I left the Midwest.

ChiefsCountry
07-12-2010, 09:49 PM
FWIW....
KC being played again?

Islanders have always been the most logical team. The only trouble with them is their owner, Charles Wang, makes David Glass and Clark Hunt look like the Rooney's or Jerry Jones.

Here is an article link:
http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2010/07/islanders-a-step-close-to-leaving/?boxes=businesschannelsections

Bearcat
07-12-2010, 09:55 PM
I'd definitely be a fan of theirs. I never latched on to a team after I left the Midwest.

I'd be first in line for season tickets... the Mo Mavs just aren't good enough and it's a long drive to watch the O-Mavs for a few hours.

okcchief
07-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I hope KC gets them. I need a hockey team!

tk13
07-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Would hockey go over in Vegas? If they move to KC they'd be the Landlockers.

I wonder what they'd do with the divisions too. Maybe that'd get Detroit to move to the east.

ChiefsCountry
07-12-2010, 10:04 PM

I wonder what they'd do with the divisions too. Maybe that'd get Detroit to move to the east.

Or Columbus.

ChiefMojo
07-12-2010, 10:07 PM
KC's best hope for a 3rd franchise is the NHL. I believe some day there will be a NHL team in the Sprint Center, but when is a good question. We would be lucky to have the Islanders fall into our lap. I just seeing absolutely NO WAY how a NBA team is going to come into KC with the Thunder being in OKC.

Mojo Jojo
07-12-2010, 10:13 PM

It seems every league looks at Vegas. My guess is most hotels/casinos would buy a lot of season tickets to give to customers.

Columbus or Nashville would move to the east. Of course in Atlanta there is a rumor that they may want to move to KC if they do not get a new arena.

CrazyPhuD
07-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Heh if we get it a team it should be called the KC smokers.

Mojo Jojo
07-12-2010, 10:21 PM
KC's best hope for a 3rd franchise is the NHL. I believe some day there will be a NHL team in the Sprint Center, but when is a good question. We would be lucky to have the Islanders fall into our lap. I just seeing absolutely NO WAY how a NBA team is going to come into KC with the Thunder being in OKC.

All KC needs is a young multimillionaire that loves the NBA and lives in KC and is willing to buy a team and hold the existing city hostage and then moves the team to KC. Unfortunately...no such person exists.

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I agree but IMO it makes KC a little more unique having 2-3 major college programs all in this small area competing for everyone's entertainment dollars.

Huh?

Minnesota has the University, the Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves and Wild.

Denver has pro hockey, basketball, football, baseball and two major college teams.

St. Louis has three pro sports teams and can lay claim to Illinois & Missouri university sports.

I could go on but I won't. :D

The problem with the KC metro area isn't the population or the size of the city, it's the wealth of its citizens.

It's simple economics. When people have excess money for leisure sports, they spend it. When they can't afford it, they don't.

KCrockaholic
07-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I would have loved to either have the Thunder or the Penguins.

It's a shame Kevin Durant isn't in KC because he would be The Man. Along with Greinke.

Jamie
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I've been a Bulls fan since I was 10, but Durant in KC might have been enough to swing me.

Mojo Jojo
07-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Huh?

Denver has pro hockey, basketball, football, baseball and two major college teams.

St. Louis has three pro sports teams and can lay claim to Illinois & Missouri university sports.

The problem with the KC metro area isn't the population or the size of the city, it's the wealth of its citizens.

It's simple economics. When people have excess money for leisure sports, they spend it. When they can't afford it, they don't.

Minneapolis/St. Paul - Market #15
Denver - Market #16
St. Louis - Market #21
Kansas City - Market #32

Other markets above KC - Hartford, Nashville, San Diego, Indianapolis, Raleigh-Durham, Portland and I could go on and on.

A big part of the problem IS population...another big problem; no local ownership...both major teams are owned by out of town owners...the local rich had a chance to buy the Royals, but no one stepped up. AEG had to bring in money from California to try to get the NHL at Sprint Center and he dashed to invest in Nashville.

OnTheWarpath15
07-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Huh?

Agreed.

Which makes me wonder if all this excitement over the 2012 All Star Game is just noise.

I don't see Kansas Citians spending $275 per ticket to fill the K for the Home Run Derby. The game itself is going to be a bit of a stretch, IMO.

DeezNutz
07-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Agreed.

Which makes me wonder if all this excitement over the 2012 All Star Game is just noise.

I don't see Kansas Citians spending $275 per ticket to fill the K for the Home Run Derby. The game itself is going to be a bit of a stretch, IMO.

Damn. Pricey tickets. But what a fucking embarrassment it would be for the city if the K were half-empty.

Won't happen. They'll give tickets away first. And the public line, no matter what happens behind the scenes, will be that "everything went perfectly."

OnTheWarpath15
07-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Damn. Pricey tickets. But what a fucking embarrassment it would be for the city if the K were half-empty.

Won't happen. They'll give tickets away first. And the public line, no matter what happens behind the scenes, will be that "everything went perfectly."

In fairness - I'm guessing - but it's an educated (yet conservative) guess.

I went to both the HRD and Game in STL in 2009, and tickets for both were $250. I think $275 is being conservative considering the game is 3 years away.

I just don't see many Kansas Citians willing to pay over $1k for a pair of tickets to both events, plus parking, food, booze, etc.

I think people are going to bitch and moan when they see the prices.

CoMoChief
07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Agreed.

Shit I'll be going. Couldn't get AS tix for the ChiSox one and I wasn't in town for the STL hosted one. I WILL GO to the Royals one.

|Zach|
07-13-2010, 12:03 PM
People have been pretty high on the AS game around here. I don't care about it that much but I absolutely don't think it will be an issue in the least ticket wise.

CHENZ A!
07-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Sprint Center ranked #3 arena in US, and #6 in the world. Saw it on the news this AM, and I was shocked.

I'd be thrilled with NHL, but would prefer NBA.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
07-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Sprint Center ranked #3 arena in US, and #6 in the world. Saw it on the news this AM, and I was shocked.

I'd be thrilled with NHL, but would prefer NBA.
Posted via Mobile Device
No anchor sports team means a lot of concerts.

BWillie
07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Huh?

What about cost of living? You can live dirt cheap in the midwest, and that means you have more disposable income even if you don't make as much.

I just used some calculator online @ http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_result.asp?presentsalary=100000&presenthomemetrocode=98&presentworkmetrocode=98&newhomemetrocode=81&newworkmetrocode=81&x=45&y=10, and it actually says if you made 100K and moved to KC making a similar adjusted income to here you would actually have much more disposable income. Don't know the validity of such a thing, but just sayin

Archie F. Swin
07-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Thunder up, bitches...thats as close as KC gets to NBA. Nick Collison and Cole Aldrich are on their roster so theres a reason to luv em. Though they probably wont renew Nick's contract. If they can keep Durant/Westbrook and company on that team, they'll be a contender for many seasons to come.

Durantula!

CHENZ A!
07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Thunder up, bitches...thats as close as KC gets to NBA. Nick Collison and Cole Aldrich are on their roster so theres a reason to luv em. Though they probably wont renew Nick's contract. If they can keep Durant/Westbrook and company on that team, they'll be a contender for many seasons to come.

Durantula!

I will never root for OKC because that team should be here, and if not here then Seattle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thig Lyfe
07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I reeeeeeeally hope the Islanders keep their name if they come to KC.

58-4ever
07-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Thunder UP!! It's also nice to see a roster full of genuinely good guys. While LeBron was putting on a spectacle, KD quietly and humbly signed on for 6 more years in OKC. Cheers to playoff basketball in the midwest for years to come!

RealSNR
07-13-2010, 04:45 PM

Durantula!Nick Collison is on their roster.

It's just a shame he wasn't on the block-out on Gasol

Archie F. Swin
07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Nick Collison is on their roster.

It's just a shame he wasn't on the block-out on Gasol

true....very true:doh!:

58-4ever
07-13-2010, 07:29 PM
true....very true:doh!:

That was Serge Ibaka's fault.... nonetheless, a big miss.

listopencil
08-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Hmm. Well now that KC has a potential hockery in place it might happen.

blaise
08-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I ruv hockery.