PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Can Crennel coach a 1-gap 3-4 defense?

Mr. Laz
04-19-2010, 06:26 PM
ok ... so asking a Coordinator to coach a scheme he doesn't normally run is usually a disaster. It's just not a good idea.

but ....... how big of an issue would it for Crennel to switch to a 1-gap 3-4 defense like pittsburgh/Dallas instead the 2-gap system we used last year?

i think our personal might fit a 1-gap better ... especially if Dorsey really does move inside.

how would our LB's react to having the additional gap responsiblity?

is it a change so big that Crennel would feel lost(last thing we want)

rad
04-19-2010, 06:32 PM
I have no idea.

Glad I could provide some insight.

Mr. Laz
04-19-2010, 06:35 PM
I have no idea.

Glad I could provide some insight.
no problem ... go back to licking

rad
04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Somebody had to post in this thread.

But to be honest, I don't know enough about the topic to post a serious view, so I just try to have fun. As far as I know, our personnel sucks balls anyway, so it really doesn't matter what we ask them to do. They'll just fuck it up anyway.

Crennel has been around a long time, so I don't see why he couldn't try.

Ralphy Boy
how would our LB's react to having the additional gap responsiblity?

The answer to your question is "Not very well".

How could you ask this question with our LB's. :shake:

chiefzilla1501
While I think you're right, I'd be shocked if they did anything but 2-gap. Given that Pioli mortgaged the entire future around Tyson Jackson, who's better suited for this 2-gap kind of scheme. Add in that Romeo's been running this Fairbanks 2-gap for years. Before he was the Pats' coordinator, he was teaching 2-gap to D-linemen under Parcells. It's not that Romeo can't scheme it, but I just think Pioli's going to pigeonhole him into this scheme by giving him very specific kind of picks.

The good news is that we have arguably the best in the game at teaching D-linemen 2-gap. The bad news is, I worry that the Fairbanks scheme is a little bit outdated. The other good news is that Romeo is a little more adaptive to changing defensive looks based on the opponent.

Reaper16
I wish I knew. I mean, I'd like to see a 1-gap 3-4. I don't have any idea whether or not Romeo can be as effective coordinating a Phillips 3-4 as he is coordinating the Fairbanks-Bullough.

Ralphy Boy
04-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Crennel has been around a long time, so I don't see why he couldn't try.

Old dog, new trick. Won't happen.

chiefzilla1501
04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
I wish I knew. I mean, I'd like to see a 1-gap 3-4. I don't have any idea whether or not Romeo can be as effective coordinating a Phillips 3-4 as he is coordinating the Fairbanks-Bullough.

I think what makes me think he can do it is that New England's defense was actually pretty innovative under Romeo. They were good at changing looks and playing multiple defenses out of the same set. Something they haven't done much of since he left.

But they won't do it, because Pioli loves the 2-gap, and given that Romeo ran it in Cleveland, I bet he prefers it too.

Reaper16
04-19-2010, 06:44 PM
I think what makes me think he can do it is that New England's defense was actually pretty innovative under Romeo. They were good at changing looks and playing multiple defenses out of the same set. Something they haven't done much of since he left.

But they won't do it, because Pioli loves the 2-gap, and given that Romeo ran it in Cleveland, I bet he prefers it too.
I hope that doesn't mean that those innovations were coming from Bellichick.

chiefzilla1501
04-19-2010, 06:47 PM
I hope that doesn't mean that those innovations were coming from Bellichick.

I don't think so. Like I said, the Pats' defense hasn't been nearly as innovative since Romeo left. I think a lot of Pats fans will tell you they very, very badly miss Romeo.

Mr. Laz
04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
The answer to your question is "Not very well".

How could you ask this question with our LB's. :shake:
well i assume we will have at least 1-new linebacker this year besides having a Dline that actually penetrates some might relieve the pressure of having to make every play on our over-matched linebackers.

Ralphy Boy
04-19-2010, 07:19 PM
The good news is that we have arguably the best in the game at teaching D-linemen 2-gap. The bad news is, I worry that the Fairbanks scheme is a little bit outdated. The other good news is that Romeo is a little more adaptive to changing defensive looks based on the opponent.

A little outdated??????

It's way outdated. Any scheme can be dated and still be effective, if you have incredibly talented players and we don't have ANY. Not ONE great player on our defense. Flowers is the best player we've got and he isn't even top 10 in the league.

The Patriots 3-4 was very good when they were one of the few running it and teams couldn't prepare to face it. Add in that their corners were mugging, beating and out-right ass raping the WR's they lined up across from and it looked like a great defense. It looked great but it wasn't, it was responsible and intelligent, but it wasn't great. The players knew what to do and where to be. They didn't blow their assignments by freelancing, they did exactly what they were supposed to do. They lucked out with Wilfork falling to them, Ty Warren is very good but he's not special. Seymour was a great player.

Ty Law, in his prime, was top 5 but overall their talent level was never elite. Certainly not nearly as good as Baltimore's.

Add together a bunch of guys who know what to do and then do EXACTLY as they are supposed to and your defense can appear to be great. Add a couple of top 10 players to that and you just might be great.

Drafting for this defense, when every other spawn of Belichick is running it and you apparently have to reach to find the players to fit it. That isn't how great teams are built.

Romeo might be great at making his gameplan based on who he faces. Might. I'm hoping he is, but BB's defense hasn't dropped much in his absence.
Ranking in Total Defense:
2009 11th
2008 10th
2007 4th
2006 6th
2005 26th
*2004 9th
*2003 7th
*2002 23rd
*2001 11th
*with Crennel.

Sure they dropped off when he first left, but the next two years they were better than any time during his tenure.

Nightfyre
04-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Here is NE's PPG.

YEAR - PPG
2009 - 17.8
2008 - 19.3
2007 - 17.1
2006 - 14.8
2005 - 21.1
*2004 - 16.2
*2003 - 14.9
*2002 - 21.6
*2001 - 17.0

boogblaster
04-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Well its possible but old dogs usually stay close to the porch ...

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't think so. Like I said, the Pats' defense hasn't been nearly as innovative since Romeo left. I think a lot of Pats fans will tell you they very, very badly miss Romeo.

Yeah, they really missed him in 2007 when they went 18-1