PDA

View Full Version : Football Wilkerson to the Saints; Holt to the Pats

The Franchise
04-20-2010, 12:29 PM
ESPN's John Clayton with details of Torry Holt's deal with Pats -- 1 year, could be worth up to $1.7 million.

Saints sign former Bucs DE Jimmy Wilkerson -- 1 yr, $2M. He wanted a 1 year deal so he could bounce back from ACL

Just some random FA signings.

The_Doctor10
04-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Anyone remember when Tory Holy mattered?

JD10367
04-20-2010, 12:42 PM
For $1.7M, in a capless year, with Wes Welker's return up in the air (as in, like, ever), I like the Holt signing. He's only 33 and change, 8 months older than Randy Moss, and he's a solid guy. He probably takes the #2 spot opposite Moss, and allows the Pats to use Welker 2.0 (Julian Edelman) as the third WR.

Slainte
04-20-2010, 12:51 PM

Isn't that one of the high holidays?...

HoneyBadger
04-20-2010, 01:06 PM

Please tell me who he is...

Amnorix
04-20-2010, 02:10 PM
For $1.7M, in a capless year, with Wes Welker's return up in the air (as in, like, ever), I like the Holt signing. He's only 33 and change, 8 months older than Randy Moss, and he's a solid guy. He probably takes the #2 spot opposite Moss, and allows the Pats to use Welker 2.0 (Julian Edelman) as the third WR.

Yeah, gotta like it. Hopefully it works out better than Galloway at least. :O

Hootie
04-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Holt's knees are shot...big name, no more game

OnTheWarpath15
04-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Holt's knees are shot...big name, no more game

I said that this time last year.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204153&highlight=holt

Post 76 is especially comical, as are the 3 pages of argument after.

Amnorix
04-20-2010, 03:09 PM
One pro scout doesn't agree that he's quite done yet.

The next question you have to ask: What does Holt have left? I just got off the phone with a pro scout from a rival team that thinks the answer to that is "enough."

That is to say that the guy who posted six straight 1,300-yard seasons from 2000-05 and eight 1,100-yard years in a row from 2000-07 is gone. But there's still something there, which is why the Patriots signed him.

"The biggest thing with him is he just can't run the way he used to," the scout told me. "He’s a possession receiver, a great route runner, and he has that veteran savvy. But he doesn’t get separation like he used to. You can put him in the slot and, similar to Hines Ward, he doesn’t run that well, but on route-running ability and intelligence, he can get open.

"He'll get upfield a little bit, he's got good hands, but he's not ripping off those 40-, 50-yard chunks anymore. He's not a huge impact guy, but on third-and-short, third-and-4, third-and-6, he can run that little option route and get that yardage. He can’t play on the outside, like Jacksonville used him. But he can play inside as a slot guy."

My follow-up to that regarded whether this is Wes Welker insurance, since the Patriots' All-Pro could miss a sizable chunk of the 2010 season. The scout's answer came twofold: a) Yes, he could be viewed as Welker Insurance as a serviceable slot guy but b) he's not going to be elite in the role.

"The difference is take someone who's not speed demon like Hines Ward or a T.J. Houshmandzadeh and normally they're tough, not afraid to take hits, thickly-built," the scout said. "That's what hurts him. He's not an overly physical guy to take shots over middle. He had decent production last year. They’ll get something from him."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
04-20-2010, 03:21 PM
I said that this time last year.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204153&highlight=holt

Post 76 is especially comical, as are the 3 pages of argument after.

gotta love the Mark Bradley love in there

Pushead2
04-20-2010, 03:22 PM
who gives a fuck...

philfree
04-20-2010, 03:30 PM
I had this crazy notion that if Suh were to slip to the Chiefs and they picked him that the Saints would be a good trade possibility for Dorsey. Dorsey for the 32nd pick in the draft. Hey I like Dorsey but I'd like for us to build a great team more.

PhilFree:arrow: