PDA

View Full Version : So, if drafting a tackle in R1 is a bad thing...

Saccopoo
04-21-2010, 03:01 PM
then when would it be acceptable?

Suppose for a moment that I decided to drink the Drafturbator punch and think that Albert is acceptable as the LTOTF for the Chiefs. (Which I don't, because he hasn't done shit on the field to make me believe that he's anything but a lower level guy at that spot, but I'm being purely hypothetical here.)

We all know that our RT situation is not good. We all know that our guard position is very thin with no depth. We all know that our center position is wretched. So, knowing that who and where would it be acceptable in this draft to start addressing said positions if it's not in the first?

Some hypotheticals:

Round 2, pick 36:
Roger Saffold, OT; Indiana
- Has the athleticism and strength to play either side effectively in a zone blocking scheme.

Round 2, pick 50:
Vladimir Ducasse, OT; UMass
- A big mauling type of RT/G. I don't know if he'd be that effective in the Chiefs scheme.

Jareed Veldheer, OT; Hillsdale
- Big, but surprisingly nimble and athletic. Would take him time to adjust to the NFL speed coming from a small school.

Jon Asamoah, OG; Illinois
- Over achieving, but short arms. A poor man's Will Shields?

Round 3, pick 68:
Matt Tennant, C; Boston College
- 40 game starter. All American. Worked in a pro-style set. Fucking stud.

Mike Johnson, OG; Alabama
- Perfect guy for a zone block scheme. Proven performer at a high level. 1st team AA.

Round 4, pick 102:
Tony Washington, OT; Abilene Christian
- Potential is through the roof as his size and measurables are darn near prototype. Will need time to adjust from the small school to NFL.

Zane Beadles, OT; Utah
- Smart, nasty and athletic. Versatile enough to play any position on the line. 2nd team Walter Camp and AP AA.

Marshall Newhouse, OT; TCU
- Like Beadles, he's a three year starter at LT, but has the athleticism and versatility to play any line spot.

Kyle Calloway, OT; Iowa
- Huge guy that is a RT only.

Mitch Petrus, OG; Arkansas
- Bull strong. 2nd team AA.

Fifth round:
Ciron Black, OT; LSU
- I don't care what the measurables are, this guy has been a stud at LT at LSU for four seasons. Durable and can get nasty. 2nd team Walter Camp.

Shaun Lauvao, OG; Arizona State
- 2nd Team PAC 10

Jeff Byers, OG, USC
- Athletic and can play multiple inside positions. Injury history drops him.

John Estes, C; Hawaii
- Starting center for three years. Also first team WAC for three years. Very underrated.

Mike Tepper, RT; Cal
- Big, RT only guy.

Dennis Landolt, OT; Penn State
- Might be too low for him, but he's versatile enough to play either side of the line. 3rd team AA.

Eric Olsen, C; Notre Dame
- More of a mauler than anything, he played very well at center this past season after moving over from guard.

Sam Young, OT; Notre Dame
- Projects as a RT in the NFL but has experience at the LT spot. Was once considered the best OL prospect in the country as a prep. Got better as the season went on.

Jason Fox, OT; Miami
- I really liked what Fox did this year and until he started getting bit by the injury bug, I thought he was no worse than a late second/early third rounder.

Drew Tyshovnytsky, OT; Fordham
- Another small school tackle that had insane measurements at his Pro Day - 4.91 40, 33 reps.

Okay, those are the guys that I like from a perspective of fitting in with the Chiefs. Who is acceptable for anything but a first round pick?

Ebolapox
04-21-2010, 03:04 PM
FUCK YOU.

Reaper16
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm probably not going to complain about an OL pick at 2b or later. Only way I do is if its for a guy I'm not high on (like in last year's draft were we were raving mad at Pioli for ignoring the O-Line and when he finally made an OL pick in the 5th it was for a UDFA candidate). The value of this draft is definitely defense but if the team really loves a certain guy and he's sitting there at 68 or something then there are worse things they could do than take him.

the Talking Can
04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
anything that makes you shut the fuck up would be acceptable....

just don't draft a fucking RT in with #5 pick because you love not going to superbowls...

ModSocks
04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
I dont think anyone is saying that drafting a tackle in R1 is a bad thing. What people are saying is that drafting OL in the top 5 when you already have a young, R1 LT only 1 year removed from a stand-out rookie season Is a bad thing. I wouldn't have a problem with the Chiefs going O-line in any rnd other than our #5 pick.

BossChief
04-21-2010, 03:25 PM
This is more like it man.

Very high quality post.

Tennant and Calloway are my preferences.

Hootie
04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Hamas' boy might be around at #36 (Bruce Campbell)...

Hammock Parties
04-21-2010, 04:08 PM
I want to see the Chiefs pick a guard in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round this year.

I don't like any of the current solutions as long-term.

RustShack
04-21-2010, 04:35 PM
We can draft a linemen in the second. That is fine. Hell the Patriots even drafted their starting LT in the second. Albert deserves at least one more year if not more. If he still sucks in the future, then he can be a guard and we can draft a LT in the first. But at this time, we have more needs than LT, and we have a young talented guy who could be our LT so we shouldn't give up on him yet. Even if he does suck, theres still a real good chance Pioli still chooses not to draft a LT in the first and to get a free agent, trade for one, or draft one in the second. Pioli knows you don't need a bunch of high picks on the OL. The OL is about molding guys together.

KCDC
04-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Saffold is probably gone by then, but a good choice. If Bruce Campbell falls to #36, he'd be great. Vlad is nothing but a Guard, I think, so wouldn't burn a second rounder for him.

Can live with Black in the 5th round. Like the choice of centers in the later rounds. We could afford a RT and a C if the right players fall.