View Full Version : NFL Draft Whitlock has lost his mind

BossChief
04-22-2010, 02:00 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/21/18944...dez-bryant.html

Please draft Dez Bryant
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

I want Dez Bryant.

He’s the apple of my draft eye, the big-time playmaker capable of making life easier for Matt Cassel, Charlie Weis and Todd Haley and Sundays a lot more exciting inside Arrowhead Stadium.

Dez Bryant, the Oklahoma State receiver, is the second-most-talented player in this draft, behind only Nebraska defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh.

Bryant, according to all of the expert-generated mock drafts, isn’t worthy of the No. 5 pick. He’s slated to go as high as No. 7 to the Cleveland Browns (ESPN’s Mel Kiper) and as low as No. 22 to the New England Patriots (NFL.com’s Pat Kirwan).

The Chiefs pick at No. 5 tonight in the NFL draft.

I want Dez Bryant. And I don’t care how the Chiefs get him.

If Scott Pioli tabs him with the fifth pick, I won’t complain. If Pioli trades down three or five or 10 slots in hopes of grabbing Bryant at a more appropriate location, I won’t complain if things go wrong and another team surprises Pioli and nabs Bryant.

I want Dez Bryant. I’m aware of his baggage. He had a dysfunctional upbringing. He admits to being troubled by his mother’s decision to live openly as a lesbian. Deion Sanders has been Bryant’s mentor the last few years. Bryant’s involvement with Sanders ruined the receiver’s final season at Oklahoma State. And last year Sanders played a role in San Francisco rookie Michael Crabtree’s long, pointless contract holdout.

I still want Dez Bryant.

In nearly two decades of covering Chiefs football, I’ve yet to see the team field an in-his-prime, big-time receiver. They’ve had tight end Tony Gonzalez, quarterback Trent Green, running backs Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, linemen Willie Roaf, Will Shields and Brian Waters.

Their best receiver? A washed-up Andre Rison.

Yeah, I want Dez Bryant. Had he not gotten in a jam with Sanders and played a full season, Bryant would be a clear-cut top-five pick. He’s a problem-solver. He can return kicks and punts. He’s big (6 feet 2, 225 pounds), strong, fast, durable and elusive after the catch.

The NFL is a passing league. At some point, the Chiefs have to find their diva receiver, their Randy Moss, Hines Ward, Marvin Harrison, Larry Fitzgerald or Terrell Owens.

We hoped it would be Sylvester Morris or Dwayne Bowe. It just hasn’t happened. It’s time to try again.

As much as I love offensive linemen and respect their value, I’m going to be highly disappointed if the Chiefs take the safe pick of Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga. You can build/develop good offensive linemen. For the most part, you have to draft high-impact skill-position playmakers up high.

If Dez Bryant turns into the next Andre Johnson, the Pro Bowl Houston receiver, the Chiefs will regret passing on Bryant.

The other option at No. 5 is Tennessee safety Eric Berry (or Texas safety Earl Thomas). I love any defender who is compared to Baltimore safety Ed Reed, so I have no choice but to be a fan of Berry’s. Ed Reed is the best safety in football. He’s never played in a Super Bowl.

The best receivers (Moss, Fitzgerald, Harrison, Owens, Ward) all seem to find their way to the Super Bowl.

I’m all for building a great defense. We saw Dick Vermeil’s Chiefs get foiled by a poor defense year after year.

Bryant just solves more problems than Berry does. Bryant’s return ability strengthens KC’s special teams play, too. Field position impacts both sides of a football team. Bryant could help the offense and the defense.

As for Bryant’s emotional and maturity issues? Well, we’ve heard all offseason the Chiefs have the best coaching staff money can buy. Let Haley, Weis and Romeo Crennel earn all those Clark Hunt millions. This staff is experienced and highly decorated. Bill Parcells handled Lawrence Taylor. Bill Belichick has handled Moss. Parcells and Belichick schooled damn near everyone of any consequence on the Chiefs’ coaching and executive staff.

I want Dez Bryant.

Please.

Mecca
04-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Talent wise speaking his argument isn't bad.

Hammock Parties
04-22-2010, 02:03 AM
For the most part, you have to draft high-impact skill-position playmakers up high.

At least it has some truth in it.

But comparing Bryant to Andre Johnson is pretty ignorant.

Mecca
04-22-2010, 02:06 AM
He's not Andre Johnson, however he is one of the 5 most talented guys in the draft and is a better prospect than any WR from this class or last years class.

He's superior to Crabtree as a prospect.

BossChief
04-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Talent wise, we should have just went out and traded for Holmes and Rothlisberger if we are looking at moves like drafting Dez.

I bet Bryant isn't even on their board.

He is a great talent, but if these guys will send guys packing for talking back to coaches, how would they respond to Dez showing up to a game 45 minutes before kickoff?

Dude is TO without the extreme talent level and dedication to the sport.

Hammock Parties
04-22-2010, 02:08 AM
I also didn't like Whitlock's insinuation that great safeties don't find their way to the Super Bowl.

Darren Sharper
Troy Polamalu
Bob Sanders - HUGE part of Indy's 06 run
Rodney Harrison
John Lynch

And I can really go on....Steve Atwater, Darren Woodson, Ronnie Lott.

BTW, I guess Whitlock has chosen to ignore quarterback as part of the debate, not seeing it as a realistic option. I wouldn't have. Hanging Pioli out to dry over the quarterback issue would have been a great column. If Cassel continues to stink up the joint while Sanchez and Clausen thrive, Pioli looks dumb. And, oh hey, perfect excuse to slip in some more ego BS!

Mecca
04-22-2010, 02:10 AM
Talent wise, we should have just went out and traded for Holmes and Rothlisberger if we are looking at moves like drafting Dez.

I bet Bryant isn't even on their board.

He is a great talent, but if these guys will send guys packing for talking back to coaches, how would they respond to Dez showing up to a game 45 minutes before kickoff?

Dude is TO without the extreme talent level and dedication to the sport.

His father in law just traded for Brandon Marshall, this right 53 stuff is heavily overblown.

Blick
04-22-2010, 02:16 AM
I like Bryant more than a lot of people on the board. We could do worse at #5.

BossChief
04-22-2010, 02:20 AM
If our board is dwindled down to "just north of 100" I doubt a guy with the makeup of Bryant made the cut.

Mecca
04-22-2010, 02:23 AM
If they really have the board at 100, I now know why NE has all those bad drafts.

big nasty kcnut
04-22-2010, 02:40 AM
I don't think dez Bryant has what it take to play nfl football too much of a head case i rather have Golden Tate Kerry Meier or or Brandon Banks.

Monty
04-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Just another example of why JW is a better writer than personnel guy. :)

Blick
04-22-2010, 03:01 AM
I don't think dez Bryant has what it take to play nfl football too much of a head case i rather have Golden Tate Kerry Meier or or Brandon Banks.

I like Brandon Banks. I wonder if we could get him as an undrafted FA.

Fritz88
04-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Jason does not understand Pioli, does he?

if(!(fits the 'right 53'))
{
never draft him;
}
else
draft a OL.

Marcellus
04-22-2010, 06:07 AM
If they really have the board at 100, I now know why NE has all those bad drafts.

To go along with their 3 SB rings. Say what you want but they are a perennial winner and we should be so lucky as to have their terrible draft history the last 10 years.

TEX
04-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Jason - Maybe Pioli will sign Jeff George to throw to Dez...

milkman
04-22-2010, 06:39 AM
To go along with their 3 SB rings. Say what you want but they are a perennial winner and we should be so lucky as to have their terrible draft history the last 10 years.

The Patriots won with scheme and Tom Brady, and players, like Willie McGinnest, Teddy Bruschi, and Rodney Harrison, players that were there when before Bellichick and Pioli, or free agents.

The Patriots over the years under Bellichick/Pioli have not really done that great in the draft.

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Wait till next year jwhit. Its a WR first round.

Chiefnj2
04-22-2010, 07:18 AM
I'd be happy with Berry or Bryant.

Reaper16
04-22-2010, 07:19 AM
He's not Andre Johnson, however he is one of the 5 most talented guys in the draft and is a better prospect than any WR from this class or last years class.

He's superior to Crabtree as a prospect.
He's not superior to next year's WR, as you well know. Heck, from last year's class I'd draft Jeremy Maclin over Dez.

patteeu
04-22-2010, 07:20 AM
His father in law just traded for Brandon Marshall, this right 53 stuff is heavily overblown.

"Right 53" doesn't mean "choirboy". Randy Moss, Corey Dillon and Rodney Harrison were part of New England's "right 53".

Chiefnj2
04-22-2010, 07:25 AM
He's not superior to next year's WR, as you well know. Heck, from last year's class I'd draft Jeremy Maclin over Dez.

You don't know who will declare in a possible lockout situation. Plus, things change over the year. Last year at this time the top 5 prospects included Snead and Taylor Mays.

FloridaMan88
04-22-2010, 07:29 AM
As long as it is someone on offense I will be happy.

My first choice is still a starting left tackle (I'll leave it up to the draft geeks to decipher which of the offensive tackle prospects would be the best choice to fill this role at the #5 overall pick), but I'd gladly take Dez Bryant.

You need a high-powered passing attack to win in this league and right now the Chiefs still have a passing game lacking potent weapons.

Reerun_KC
04-22-2010, 07:32 AM
As long as it is someone on offense I will be happy.

My first choice is still a starting left tackle (I'll leave it up to the draft geeks to decipher which of the offensive tackle prospects would be the best choice to fill this role at the #5 overall pick), but I'd gladly take Dez Bryant.

You need a high-powered passing attack to win in this league and right now the Chiefs still have a passing game lacking potent weapons.

As long as its an impact playmaker I will be happy....

Someone that can start from day 1 and change the dynamics of the team.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-22-2010, 07:33 AM
As long as its an impact playmaker I will be happy....

Someone that can start from day 1 and change the dynamics of the team.

this x a billiondy million.

InChiefsHeaven
04-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Dez Bryant has asshole written all over him. I can see him holding out for friggin' ever.

Isn't there some good receivers in the 2nd round that we could get that would go a long way towards filling that need instead of using this pick on Bryant?

mlyonsd
04-22-2010, 07:40 AM
I think this is Whitlock suggesting a pick he knows we won't take just so he can b*tch about it all season.

MOhillbilly
04-22-2010, 07:43 AM
He has a stupid first name, reminds me of the dude who was in black flag. Now if it were mike bryant of bill bryant id be ok with it.

Lex Luthor
04-22-2010, 07:43 AM
I think this is Whitlock suggesting a pick he knows we won't take just so he can b*tch about it all season.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Reerun_KC
04-22-2010, 07:50 AM

This....

Its just starting again for Whitlock and his band of miserable fucking monkeys... Whitlock is hoping like hell something goes wrong, so he can be printed as Gospel on CP about the Chiefs Failing at something...

Typical bullshit spew from his pathetic Stephen A Smith wannabe racist mouth...

MOhillbilly
04-22-2010, 07:52 AM
This....

Its just starting again for Whitlock and his band of miserable ****ing monkeys... Whitlock is hoping like hell something goes wrong, so he can be printed as Gospel on CP about the Chiefs Failing at something...

Typical bullshit spew from his pathetic Stephen A Smith wannabe racist mouth...

Whitlock has mindfucked / Jedi mind tricked this BB soooo hard.

Good lord.

patteeu
04-22-2010, 07:55 AM
He has a stupid first name, reminds me of the dude who was in black flag. Now if it were mike bryant of bill bryant id be ok with it.

You mean Greg Ginn?

;) j/k (dez cadena)

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 07:55 AM
I still say he's a heck of a player. Berry campers says we need playmakers, then turn a blind eye to another playmaker on the other side of the ball. I'd be happy with either player.

threebag
04-22-2010, 08:10 AM
idiot

CoMoChief
04-22-2010, 08:13 AM
The only WR we should be taking this season is a slot type of guy like Gilyard or Shipley.

Next season is the draft to take Malcolm Floyd, AJ Green etc

rwalke10
04-22-2010, 08:43 AM

I think the ring total for the entire staff is north of 20 (21-22?). I don't think any team would ace it year after year, too many variables with high strung players.

MMXcalibur
04-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Y'know what...I never thought about it in that way...but yeah, that very well might be the reason.

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Look at the impact Bryant had on his team. They we're ranked in the top 7, when Dez was playing, once he went out, they became average at best, that tells me he's a special player. Look at his numbers...

People say it's because of the spread, well, numbnuts, that means they spread the ball around and utilize more recievers, hence WRs numbers should be DOWN, the OPPOSITE of what Dez has done in just over two seasons.

Again...in just a over two seasons(plus the few games this season) he has 147 receptions, 2425 yards, 19 yard avg. reception, 29 TDs, plus 3 more TDs in the return game.

He's talented.

Chiefnj2
04-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Look at the impact had Bryant had on his team. They we're ranked in the top 7, when Dez was playing, once he went out, they became average at best, that tells me he's a special player. Look at his numbers...

People say it's because of the spread, well, numbnuts, that means they spread the ball around and utilize more recievers, hence WRs numbers should be DOWN, the OPPOSITE of what Dez has done in just over two seasons.

Again...in just a over two seasons(plus the few games this season) he has 147 receptions, 2425 yards, 19 yard avg. reception, 29 TDs, plus 3 more TDs in the return game.

He's talented.

Exactly. In only 3 games this year he ended leading the entire team in receiving TDs and was 2nd in yards. If OkS had such a good system, someone should have been able to step up over an entire season.

milkman
04-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Look at the impact had Bryant had on his team. They we're ranked in the top 7, when Dez was playing, once he went out, they became average at best, that tells me he's a special player. Look at his numbers...

He's talented.

Oh Jesus.

Really?

This is what you're going with?

That's what you think the spread does?

DeezNutz
04-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Look at the impact Bryant had on his team. They we're ranked in the top 7, when Dez was playing, once he went out, they became average at best, that tells me he's a special player. Look at his numbers...

He's talented.

:spock:

Might want to be careful throwing around insults.

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Exactly. In only 3 games this year he ended leading the entire team in receiving TDs and was 2nd in yards. If OkS had such a good system, someone should have been able to step up over an entire season.It's pretty obvious he's talented as heck, but because he's isn't a speedster(in shorts), some will look for anything and everything to critisize. It's good to see others who actually take a practical approach, instead of the fly-of-the handle, B.S. around here. Thanks for your take.

gblowfish
04-22-2010, 09:05 AM
That's all we need. Another loud mouth, prima donna like Ocho Cinco or TO. Classic example of Fatlock poking the bear on the eve of a big event. Tomorrow he'll come out kissing the Chiefs ass for whoever they pick.

boogblaster
04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Any decent WR will help ....

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
:spock:

Might want to be careful throwing around insults.
Numbnuts is an insult? Around here, that's practically a term of endearment. :D

I never called anybody specifically out, for the record.

Mr. Laz
04-22-2010, 09:13 AM
whitlock is an attention whore, nothing else

he will say whatever he needs to to get attention

Christofire
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Whitlock says it is a passing league, but chooses to pass over a gifted, athletic addition to our pass defense. I won't say he's contradicting himself, but he certainly is only looking at it from his perspective.

Rausch
04-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Whitlock says it is a passing league, but chooses to pass over a gifted, athletic addition to our pass defense. I won't say he's contradicting himself, but he certainly is only looking at it from his perspective.

Dez gives him $3it to write about for YEARS...

Brock
04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
I think he'll be a very good pro. But how long did it take Sidney Rice to start making an impact? Oh yeah, they had to get him a QB to play with.

RealSNR
04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
It's a high-powered passing league.

And our guy firing the shots is armed with only a pea-shooter.

It's really pissing me off how much people want this glorious offense yet don't talk about how we're shoving rocks up our assholes by keeping Matt Cassel as our QB for years into the future.

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 10:00 AM
It's a high-powered passing league.

And our guy firing the shots is armed with only a pea-shooter.

It's really pissing me off how much people want this glorious offense yet don't talk about how we're shoving rocks up our assholes by keeping Matt Cassel as our QB for years into the future.I'm all for a QB, but it's Bradford or Bust for me in the top of the draft. Clausen's starting to remind of Jeff George.

L.A. Chieffan
04-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Tell you what, if he's there at 2a then do it.

Is that OK with you JWhit Baby? JWhit, if I don't see you before Easter, have a good one, K?

HolyHandgernade
04-22-2010, 10:16 AM
I would have to assume if the Chiefs made a move on Dez at the 5 spot it would be after extensive conversations with him and getting a feel for his makeup and commitment to the game, and ultimately to the Chiefs. Right now, based on what I know, I would prefer Berry at this point. If we trade down and can get Dez I wouldn't be disappointed with that at all.

morphius
04-22-2010, 10:20 AM
I'll agree with Jason in that I will be much happier with picking Dez over any OT.

notorious
04-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Dez over any LT is my answer, too.

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
I'd rather have the highest rated WR over the 2nd best rated OT. Bryant's a damn good player.

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2010, 10:32 AM
I'll Clausen, Berry & Bryant over McClain, Williams or Okung any day of the week.

Get me a playmaker, Motherfuckers!

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I still think the skins could get some play for a trade up and leave us high and dry for Berry.

notorious
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
I'll Clausen, Berry & Bryant over McClain, Williams or Okung any day of the week.

Get me a playmaker, Mother****ers!

Dane, build up slowly, we still have a few hours to go. LMAO

I understand, though.

HemiEd
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Whitlock is easy to figure out. He wants problematic/head case players in town, as it gives him more things to write about. Self serving really.

notorious
04-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Self serving really.

We all know Jason is all about Self-Serving aka the Buffet.

L.A. Chieffan
04-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Would you Rachel Nichols?

Chiefnj2
04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Whitlock is easy to figure out. He wants problematic/head case players in town, as it gives him more things to write about. Self serving really.

If Whitlock wanted controversy he'd advocate taking Clausen. Nothing better than a QB controversy.

Slainte
04-22-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm a fan of JW. Great columnist....

This is obviously a provocation towards the Clausen/Berry people.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Deberg_1990
04-22-2010, 10:56 AM

You really think anything he writes is going to influence Pioli in any way??

FAX
04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
At 5? I agree ... pretty crazy. Somewhere in the 2s, who knows? He could be one heck of a playmaker for us. God knows we need some.

FAX

MahiMike
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
WR is THE most risky pick. More teams have been burned by 1st round WRs than QBs.

gblowfish
04-22-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm a fan of JW. Great columnist....

This is obviously a provocation towards the Clausen/Berry people.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm a big fan of Daffy Duck, but I wouldn't let him run my front office...

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm a big fan of Daffy Duck, but I wouldn't let him run my front office...
:D Awesome, man. That cracked me up.

Slainte
04-22-2010, 11:14 AM
WR is THE most risky pick. More teams have been burned by 1st round WRs than QBs.

Oh, that reminds me: How ya doin', SlyCat?...

EyePod
04-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Weis also knows Tate really well...

Slainte
04-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm a big fan of Daffy Duck...

I'm more a mediocre fan -- based, I think, largely on my own feelings of nostalgia.

FAX
04-22-2010, 11:17 AM
I like Daffy too. But, we've already tried putting Daffy in charge of the front office. Daffy's great and all, but I feel better now that Fudd's in charge. I mean, how many times has Elmer shotgun blasted Daffy's beak clean off? At least fifty or so. One on one, Elmer beats Daffy.

FAX

gblowfish
04-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Be vewwy vewwy quiet....

I'm dwafting Winemen.....

HemiEd
04-22-2010, 12:02 PM
If Whitlock wanted controversy he'd advocate taking Clausen. Nothing better than a QB controversy.

They already have that as far as some of us are concerned, and he hasn't given up on Jeff George yet.

You really think anything he writes is going to influence Pioli in any way??
No more than it did Carl.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Golden Tate is better than Bryant. The only thing keeping Tate in the late first is his size. If Tate was 6'3 220, he would be a top 10 pick easily.

tboss27
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
I know everyone here wants Berry/Clausen for the most part, but I will be extremely pleased if we get Bryant or Okung.

MMXcalibur
04-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Golden Tate is better than Bryant. The only thing keeping Tate in the late first is his size. If Tate was 6'3 220, he would be a top 10 pick easily.

......soooooo we bring in four horses, tie each of Tate's limbs to each horse and whip the hell out of those mother fuckers.

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Seems like a good kid to me. His interview is a honest as the day is long.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Rison was our only prime-time receiver?

:facepalm: