PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with Eric Berry - 4/22

Tribal Warfare
04-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Q&A with Eric Berry - 4/22 (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-1/QA-with-Eric-Berry---422/8385e3ce-3f41-4936-8125-c1fe92b2c337)

“I am very excited to be a Kansas City Chief. They have great tradition, great fans and I am excited to get to Kansas City and get to work. I am looking forward to putting on the pads.”

Q: What happened to your voice? It sounds horse.

BERRY: “I was very excited this whole week. It has been a blessing to be in this situation.”

Q: Who called you?

BERRY: “(General Manager) Scott Pioli called me and he asked if I was ready to be a Chief. He told me to remember all the things we talked about in the meeting room. Just come in ready to work.”

Q: What were your impressions of the Chiefs when you interviewed with them?

BERRY: “I loved it. Not only did I like the coaching staff, but they are also a very good staff and they are about their business. I feel like it is a privilege to work with those guys. They have a lot of wisdom on the defensive side of the ball, particularly with (defensive coordinator) Romeo Crennel and (defensive backs coach) Emmitt Thomas. Guys like that on the defensive side of the ball that I can look up to and they can kind of show me and groom me into the kind of safety I need to be.”

Q: What do you bring to the table?

BERRY: “I bring intensity and passion for the game. Also, I bring in all the character things, things off the field. I love working in the community, I love just being a great guy to people and I am just excited to be part of the Kansas City Chiefs with all the wonderful fans.”

Q: On Fridays before games you helped the equipment guys. Why did you do that?

BERRY: “I just wanted to help the guys out and give a sense of appreciation to the managers on our team. They work so hard and I wanted to put myself in their shoes so I could appreciate what they do for me. They always make sure my equipment is all intact; my shoulder pads are good and make sure my helmet is looking good. I wanted to see what they went through on a day-to-day basis to help me and show my appreciation to those guys.”

Q: How much did you benefit from playing under Monte Kiffin?

BERRY: “Coach Kiffin showed me so many things. He showed me a lot about defense and why he was calling plays. Not just telling me to just run that or run this, but he actually showed me why we were running it and what plays it was going to stop. I felt like he really prepared me for this level.”

Q: How does it feel to be one of five safeties taken in the top five of the draft since 1970?

BERRY: “I feel really good about that, but at the same time, it doesn’t faze me. I think the current safeties playing in the NFL, guys like Darren Sharper, Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu have showed GMs that if you have a valuable safety, that you can win games and they can definitely affect the outcome of the game.”

Q: Growing up, what prepared you for the NFL?

BERRY: “I think working with my dad showed me just what hard work was about and what you had to do to accomplish goals. This is one of the biggest goals that I had in my life. He always motivated me and showed me that I need to work.”

Q: What do you know about the one flag you accumulated at Tennessee?

BERRY: “That was a pass interference call my freshman year. I don’t know if it was pass interference, but they called it on me. After that, I really did put pride in not getting penalties. I don’t like to put my team in bad situations so I made sure that I did everything to just try and play good, clean football.”

Q: Does it still bother you that you got that one penalty?

BERRY: “A little bit, but at the same time, I think it is a pretty good trade.”

Q: Where is your dad? Is he with you right now? Did he ever get a chance to try out in the NFL?

BERRY: “Yes, he is up here right now. He tried out for the Dallas Cowboys and he had injuries during camp, he was signed as a free agent and then he got released.”

Q: Have you ever seen tape with him?

BERRY: “Oh yeah. A lot of college film and high school film.”

Q: What kind of a running back was he?

BERRY: “He would probably be one of my nightmares, just the way he hit the holes, the way he blocks. Just the way he does everything, he does it full speed and with a passion and that is what I try to bring to the safety position.”

Q: Did it help having one of the top defensive linemen in the country playing in front of you (Dan Williams)?

BERRY: “It helped a lot. It helped me out having the big Dan up front eating up blocks, putting pressure on the quarterback. A lot of my success in my career goes to big Dan. It also goes to other players in the league already like Jarod Mayo. He kept blocks off me also so he and big Dan deserve a lot of credit.”

Q: Is it important to your success to have those type of guys in front of you?

BERRY: “Yeah it does mean a lot and I do appreciate that.”

Q: A lot of people are comparing you to S Ed Reed. Who do you think you compare to?

BERRY: “I watched a lot of film on Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. I am just trying take both of them and make my own type of safety. One that will come up and hit, but at the same time get interceptions and take them to the house.”

Q: When you watch the tape of those two guys, what do you look for?

BERRY: “I just try to look and see the way they attack ball carriers, the way they disguise before a play, they way they are not afraid to go and make plays. I like the way they go and play the game.”

Q: Going in the top five is pretty good but you said earlier in the week that you were going to be paying attention to every team that passed you up in the draft. Is that just part of your competitive nature?

BERRY: “Yeah, that’s part of my competitive nature. Right now I’m just so excited to be with the Kansas City Chiefs and it feels good to be a part of this organization. They are in the back of my mind but at the same time I’m ready to get here and go to work.”

Q: You know that dental school is going to have to wait now, right?

BERRY: “Yeah, I’m fine with that.”

Q: What are you going to do with your money? You have anything in particular you want to buy right away?

BERRY: “No, I just really want to get the 2010 Camaro. I love Chevy. That’ll be the first thing maybe. I already took care of my mom. My mom has a Range Rover but I’m just looking forward to putting the rest of that of way so when I get my car I’ll buy a nice comfortable place to stay. I’ll be done with all that and be on to training camp.”

Q: Do you consider yourself a leader?

BERRY: “Yes I do consider myself a leader, especially because I was voted captain summer of my freshman year and was actually a four-year captain. I went into my sophomore year although I was only 19 at the time but at the time, 23, 22 and even 24-year olds were voting me as the team captain.”

Q: Do you expect to be in training camp on time since you mentioned it already?

BERRY: “Oh yeah I really expect to be in training camp on time. I’m ready to go to work. That’s one of the big reasons why I picked my agent because that’s one of his main things also.”

Q: Who is your agent?

BERRY: “Chad Speck.”

Q: I saw a story somewhere that you got into studying tape when your mom made home movies of you playing in high school?

BERRY: “Yeah. Actually she used to videotape me when I was like 11. She would videotape me at little league football and I used to look at it when I got home and at first it was just entertainment – I used to like to see what I did and see how I scored but then I saw there were things that I could improve and so once I started doing that and started critiquing myself, I just tried to become a better football player.”

Q: What’s your mom’s name?

BERRY: “Carol Berry.”

HMc
04-22-2010, 09:27 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-1/QA-with-Eric-Berry---422/8385e3ce-3f41-4936-8125-c1fe92b2c337

I just really want to get the 2010 Camaro. I love Chevy.

ROFL he already fits in

-King-
04-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Q: On Fridays before games you helped the equipment guys. Why did you do that?

BERRY: “I just wanted to help the guys out and give a sense of appreciation to the managers on our team. They work so hard and I wanted to put myself in their shoes so I could appreciate what they do for me. They always make sure my equipment is all intact; my shoulder pads are good and make sure my helmet is looking good. I wanted to see what they went through on a day-to-day basis to help me and show my appreciation to those guys.”

Wow.

HotRoute
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
"No, I just really want to get the 2010 Camaro. I love Chevy. That’ll be the first thing maybe. I already took care of my mom. My mom has a Range Rover but I’m just looking forward to putting the rest of that of way so when I get my car I’ll buy a nice comfortable place to stay. I’ll be done with all that and be on to training camp"

man i like this guys thinking and attitude, i wonder what number he will get to wear??

notorious
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow.

This.

When Berry destroys Tebow, God might disown his own son.

Bane
04-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Romeo is gonna have fun this year......

WildTurkey
04-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Call me a homer... but I have a feeling this kid is going to be a special player for us.... its about fucking time we get a playmaker

Fairplay
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Berry had a lot of stalwart's surrounding him.

Bane
04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Call me a homer... but I have a feeling this kid is going to be a special player for us.... its about ****ing time we get a playmaker

:thumb:

CHENZ A!
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
ROFL he already fits in

LMAO thats a badass fuckin ride bro

aturnis
Didn't know he only ever had one penalty in college. Three years of starting, especially as a freshman, and only one real mental mistake.

Coach
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/360955/63099_nfl_draft_football.jpg

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/04/22/21/503-365NFL_Draft_Football.sff.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

KcMizzou
04-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Call me a homer... but I have a feeling this kid is going to be a special player for us.... its about fucking time we get a playmakerI don't think that makes you a homer.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow.

Yes, very cool.

KcMizzou
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
LMAO thats a badass fuckin ride broLMAO

I get the joke, but it kinda is... Hell, I'd love one.

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
"Berry" you and plant "Flowers" at your grave.

Hammock Parties
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Berry, Page, Flowers, Carr

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO

FAX
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
I am really pleased with this pick. Really pleased. Next, it's no hold outs. No contract nonsense. Get to camp on time. Shine some helmets. Kick some ass.

And hopefully, this will help throttle back some of the Pioli hate for awhile. If we can just nail another couple of starters (knock on head) out of this draft, I'll be ecstatic.

FAX

aturnis
04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Forget the Camaro. Get yourself one of these...

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/marakaki_2006/DodgeChallenger.jpg

Coach
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM

That's a good ride.

kc rush
04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
I love that on top of being a playmaker, this kid is smart and humble. Can't wait to see him out on the field.

VolSailor
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
I hope you get to see him with the ball in his hands like we did the first two years he was at UT:

YouTube Eric Berry Highlights - The Incredible One

He's nasty against the run, but he makes game-changing plays from coverage.

LaChapelle
04-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Wasn't there something about Haley and a new Camaro in AZ
faint memory about a year old

Tribal Warfare
04-22-2010, 10:13 PM
4 years straight KC has selected a SEC player in the 1st round

DumbHillbillies
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Like the challenger but camaro kicks it *ss.

WildTurkey
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
I hope you get to see him with the ball in his hands like we did the first two years he was at UT:

YouTube Eric Berry Highlights - The Incredible One

He's nasty against the run, but he makes game-changing plays from coverage.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_r8q8aYIyFc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_r8q8aYIyFc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

KCrockaholic
04-22-2010, 10:40 PM
It's so nice for Pioli to have made the right call....Thank you Scott!

Bugeater
04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Q: What happened to your voice? It sounds horse.
Horse? Seriously? Does anyone edit this shit or do they just throw in online without looking at it?

Mr. Flopnuts
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
This kid is saying all the right things. I love it. :clap:

MoreLemonPledge
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-DetYirwzI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-DetYirwzI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MoreLemonPledge
04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Horse? Seriously? Does anyone edit this shit or do they just throw in online without looking at it?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iv5OUAMS-bE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iv5OUAMS-bE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FF to 1:40.

FAX
04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Isn't it amazing how quickly this draft got better after one pick?

Pioli loves him some Berry.

FAX

Bugeater
04-22-2010, 10:47 PM
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iv5OUAMS-bE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

FF to 1:40.
LMAO Ok, I get it now.

58kcfan89
04-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Mancrush officially developed. Now let's grab 3 more starters tomorrow and make this a great draft.

I'm still laughing my ass off at Tebow to Donx.

KurtCobain
04-22-2010, 11:02 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoHuge
04-22-2010, 11:09 PM
He loves Chevy.........kid has class :)!

The new SS is a bad mofo. Dad is a Chevy/Dodge/Ford dealer so I've "tested" them all out.

It just grins at the Charger like it's the little brother and knows it...........And yes that's with the SRT. Would be glad to run any Challenger SRT a CP member cares to produce. The Challenger is a beautiful car and love all the retro styling that is back (amongst all three domestics), but there is no comparison as to which one is the higher performing car. Do what Ford always says...."drive one."

HotRoute
04-23-2010, 12:04 AM
lets go nuts, this kid is awesome

HotRoute
04-23-2010, 12:05 AM
but what happens when he gets burnt deep next yr

HotRoute
04-23-2010, 12:05 AM
are we going to turn on him like we did TJ

Mr. Flopnuts
04-23-2010, 12:06 AM
I can't even go to bed. I'm so fucking excited right now. Bless this front office. Tonight at least. :)

Gravedigger
04-23-2010, 12:06 AM
This.

When Berry destroys Tebow, God might disown his own son.

ROFL I didnt think about that collision cause I dont take Tebow srsly, but it'll knock the proverbs off his cheeks.

greg63
04-23-2010, 12:10 AM
I like his sense of character.

Ebolapox
04-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Berry, Page, Flowers, Carr

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO

do you mean THUNDERCATS?!? you're a tard.

HotRoute
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
3rd best available player in the draft, i luv it

pr_capone
04-23-2010, 12:17 AM

perhaps an obscure reference? first google video result

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_zdUhTYLHI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_zdUhTYLHI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

kysirsoze
04-23-2010, 12:26 AM
He loves Chevy.........kid has class :)!

The new SS is a bad mofo. Dad is a Chevy/Dodge/Ford dealer so I've "tested" them all out.

Yes he is.

Hammock Parties
04-23-2010, 12:31 AM

http://i.imgur.com/BN1xF.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

Thunderbirds.

They are birds. Thundering. Through the secondary. ROLL WITH IT.

ChiefGator
04-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Think I'm going to buy a new jersey, once he gets a number. Although maybe it should be a Flowers jersey... Too bad I can't combine them into one jersey somehow... Hmm...

chiefscafan
04-23-2010, 07:07 AM
The thing I like is after his freshman year the team wanted to make him captain.

That's the same reason I wanted mcclain.

This D needs a leader it hasn't had one for a while now we have one.

To me we need an intidating MLB and big run stuffing nt and this D is top 15 quality

my next two picks would be Cody and spikes can u imagine that middle. If page is on the same, don't hate me for saying this, page that's Cody spikes berry page finally a strong middle and a D worth cheering for again.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-23-2010, 07:39 AM
LMAO Spikes is not a 2nd round pick

ChiefsOne
04-23-2010, 09:01 AM
I like this guy! Attitude and character.

eazyb81
04-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Q: What’s your mom’s name?

BERRY: “Carol Berry.”

WTF? Did we just run out of questions?

mikey23545
04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
I swear I will have this kid's babies if he asks me to.

HemiEd
04-23-2010, 09:21 AM

I second that, but you gotta love it that he wants the Camaro and not a frickin Maybach, Escalade or Mercedes.

Chief Henry
04-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Maybe I'll keep my NFL Sunday Ticket now...this kid seems to get IT.

The Franchise
04-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Q: A lot of people are comparing you to S Ed Reed. Who do you think you compare to?

BERRY: “I watched a lot of film on Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. I am just trying take both of them and make my own type of safety. One that will come up and hit, but at the same time get interceptions and take them to the house.”

Dear Fucking God. Polamalu and Reed mashed together into one kid?

philfree
04-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Dear ****ing God. Polamalu and Reed mashed together into one kid?

I'm guessing you need to wipe the druel off your face and the spew out of your shorts. :clap: Nothing wrong with enjoying the moment.

PhilFree:arrow:

Hootie
04-23-2010, 10:00 AM
wow...

maybe he can double down as a running back?

He honestly looks like a running back...

DBOSHO
04-23-2010, 10:06 AM
I did superstar mode on madden and made berry. First game? 3 picks. One was a pick 6.

PROBOWL.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I didn't realize he played behind Dan Williams. There's a good chance he may not really be any good now.

DBOSHO
04-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Bruschi picked berry as being the best 1st round pick

RealSNR
04-23-2010, 02:46 PM
So uh... Eric... got any pets?

DBOSHO
04-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey berry, whats the most kills youve gotten 1 round of modern warfare 2? And does your girlfriend like to go ATM?