PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Cameron Sheffield. Good pick

Ralphy Boy
04-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Can't say I was happy about several picks, but Sheffield is a good one.

Cosmos
04-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Profile from CBS sports:

Analysis
Read & React: A disciplined defender who understands his containment responsibilities and has enough quickness, lateral agility and strength to stretch the runner wide. Good burst upfield as a pass rusher, but quickly recognizes the screen and draw, showing the ability to re-direct inside. Grabs hold of the back on the screen and kills the play. Improved his recognition of passing lanes and the impact he can have by getting his hands up as a senior, recording a career-high six PBUs.

Run defense: Lacks the bulk to remain at defensive end full-time in the NFL, but is stronger than his size might suggest. Plays with good pad level and has the strength in his upper and lower to stack and shed the block. Surprising lateral agility to elude blockers in space. Breaks down well and has a burst to change directions and better straight-line speed than he's given credit for. Good hustle downfield.

Pass defense: Was rarely asked to drop back into coverage while at Troy, but proved surprisingly nimble and alert as an outside linebacker at the Senior Bowl. High in his backpedal, but was smoother than expected turning and showed good straight-line speed to trail the tight end down the sideline. Raw, but has some legitimate upside here.

Tackling: Shows the body control to handle the transition to linebacker. Breaks down well in space for a career defensive end, showing the patience and quick feet to tackle elusive ballcarriers on the edge. Good size and strength to take down bigger ballcarriers. Prefers to wrap up securely and will do so when he can, but will use his long arms to trip up the ballcarrier when forced to make the diving attempt.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Not surprisingly, one of his better areas. Though he doesn't possess a truly explosive burst out of his three-point stance, he does have the quick step to force the tackle back on his heels and the agility to re-direct inside. Good strength for the bull-rush. Has shown a great deal of improvement throughout his career in terms of getting his hands up in the passing lanes -- posting one PBU in 2007, three in 2008 and six in 2009 …

Intangibles: Shy and reserved. A very humble and team-oriented player that the coaches rave about. Will have to have his wrist checked out at the Combine after breaking it during a pick-up basketball game prior to the 2008 season.

boogblaster
04-24-2010, 10:36 AM
His scout leader said he could start fires with only 5 matches ....

eazyb81
04-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Whew, that was close. I was worried Ralphy Boy wouldn't like the pick.

Ebolapox
04-24-2010, 10:38 AM
if you say so.

milkman
04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Whew, that was close. I was worried Ralphy Boy wouldn't like the pick.

This is why we can't stand assholes like you.

Even when someone has something positive to say, here you are to make a sarcastc comment.

I hoped your ass gets raped by a gay biker.

eazyb81
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM
This is why we can't stand assholes like you.

Even when someone has something positive to say, here you are to make a sarcastc comment.

I hoped your ass gets raped by a gay biker.

:deevee:

mcaj22
04-24-2010, 10:55 AM
This guy seems like Tamba Hali part II and will probably be used exactly like that? He's way too small to actually line up on the line in a 3-4.

I know he's not Demarcus Ware or Osi, but Troy does seem to produce some nice defensive ends so hopefully this guy pans out

mylittlepony
04-24-2010, 10:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5EThKqj-U&feature=related

Beating Wang for a sack. (I really hate his name I wrote "put wang on his butt" in another thread).

milkman
04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
:deevee:

I'm sorry I made you cry.

Pioli Zombie
04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
When a pick is made I go to CP to find out why is it was horrible.

mcaj22
04-24-2010, 11:03 AM
I love our 5th round picks more than our 2nd round picks I know that much

KCrockaholic
04-24-2010, 11:12 AM
He's not to small. I'm sick of hearing that. It's BS. Quit making such a big deal because a guy isn't 1 inch tall enough.

Dumvervil is 5'11. Sheffields size is not an issue at all!

mcaj22
04-24-2010, 11:15 AM
He's not to small. I'm sick of hearing that. It's BS. Quite making such a big deal because a guy isn't 1 inch tall enough.

Dumvervil is 5'11. Sheffields size is not an issue at all!

that's not small for an OLB in a 3-4 but it is certainly small for an actual 3-4 defensive end...

milkman
04-24-2010, 11:17 AM
that's not small for an OLB in a 3-4 but it is certainly small for an actual 3-4 defensive end...

He's not going to be a 34 DE.

He's going to be an OLB.

KCrockaholic
04-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Who said he was going to be a DE in a 3-4? He's not. He will be a Sam in a 3-4.

mcaj22
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Who said he was going to be a DE in a 3-4? He's not. He will be a Sam in a 3-4.

yea but everything he is graded and analyzed on is being a down defensive end in a 4-3. So, it's kind of skewed.

buddha
04-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I think it's a helluva nice pick and I've stopped reading the posts of some of the clowns in this thread. Everything sucks, everything's bad...boo-freaking-who! It's the same 10 morons who rip every single pick and they don't have a single legit reason to do it.

KCrockaholic
04-24-2010, 11:28 AM
yea but everything he is graded and analyzed on is being a down defensive end in a 4-3. So, it's kind of skewed.

4-3 DE's convert to 3-4 OLB's.

For example, if we drafted Kindle, he would be our 3-4 OLB despite playing in a 4-3 at Texas.

Scouts and coaches have to project what a player will do at the next level to fit their scheme.

KC thinks Sheffield will be a good OLB in a 3-4 despite playing in a 4-3 at Troy.

mcaj22
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
4-3 DE's convert to 3-4 OLB's.

For example, if we drafted Kindle, he would be our 3-4 OLB despite playing in a 4-3 at Texas.

Scouts and coaches have to project what a player will do at the next level to fit their scheme.

KC thinks Sheffield will be a good OLB in a 3-4 despite playing in a 4-3 at Troy.

Correct, but you made a point about him being small and used Dumervil as your example. That is fine, but I'm saying he's graded small because his analysis is at the defensive end position and not the OLB position that he will be playing in the future. Which is why there is/was a "small size" argument for front line play.

milkman
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM

You do understand that many of the rushbackers (OLB) in a 34 were DEs in college?

milkman
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I think it's a helluva nice pick and I've stopped reading the posts of some of the clowns in this thread. Everything sucks, everything's bad...boo-freaking-who! It's the same 10 morons who rip every single pick and they don't have a single legit reason to do it.

I haven't seen a single person ripping this pick in this thread.

mcaj22
04-24-2010, 11:34 AM
You do understand that many of the rushbackers (OLB) in a 34 were DEs in college?

yes. I like the pick, I was just saying there is no point to bitch about his size because he won't be playing DE.

milkman
04-24-2010, 11:38 AM
yes. I like the pick, I was just saying there is no point to bitch about his size because he won't be playing DE.

I don't get it?

You're complainig that a draft analysis talks about his size as a DE, while at the same time they talk about his projection to OLB in a 34 when discussing his play in the Senior Bowl?

mcaj22
04-24-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't get it?

You're complainig that a draft analysis talks about his size as a DE, while at the same time they talk about his projection to OLB in a 34 when discussing his play in the Senior Bowl?

I'm not complaining about his size, I just said he was too small to play on the line and would be a nice Tamba Hali style compliment, I think it's great value for the 5th round.

KChiefs1
04-24-2010, 12:39 PM
http://www2.dothaneagle.com/dea/Sports/college/troy/article/troy_defensive_end_cameron_sheffield_quietly_does_the_job/96625/

TROY — When Cameron Sheffield first came to Troy, he was so quiet that his teammates thought he was crazy.

They nicknamed him “Killer Cam.”

The name stuck, but now it’s sticking for the right reasons. The senior defensive end from Portal, Ga., is quiet off the field, but a monster on it. He broke out as a starter last year, earning all-conference honors, and has established himself as one of the best defensive players in the Sun Belt, if not the country.

“It’s just my nature,” Sheffield said of his personality. “I’ve always been a quiet, shy type.”

Last year Sheffield quietly turned in a monster year, earning all-conference honors with 12.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks. He’s made his mark so far this year in four games, as he’s tied for second in the league with three sacks. The Trojans (2-2, 1-0 Sun Belt) host Middle Tennessee (3-1, 1-0) next Tuesday at 7 p.m. on ESPN2.

Sheffield and fellow senior Brandon Lang were both all-conference picks last year and on the preseason all-league team. Sheffield had a big sack in last week’s 30-27 win over Arkansas State. Alex Carrington, the league Defensive Player of the Year last year, who edged out Lang and Sheffield, didn’t have one.

“He’s played good,” defensive ends coach Randy Butler said. “He made some big plays, made a huge play Saturday with the sack, and he’s playing hard and making plays. I know he’s probably frustrated that he’s not making more, but that’ll come.

“He’s really played well; he and Brandon have played well.”

Sheffield didn’t make a good first impression with Butler, though it wasn’t because he got in trouble. Right after Butler was hired prior to last season, he was told Sheffield had broken his wrist playing pickup basketball.

“I didn’t know Cameron from the next guy,” Butler said. “It hindered him some early, but hopefully he’s not on the basketball court anymore.”

Sheffield graduated from a small school near the campus of Georgia Southern and was recruited by them, but chose Troy. He was also recruited by Middle Tennessee, but by the staff that was recruiting him before fourth-year head coach Rick Stockstill was hired.

The big man on campus in high school took a while to come out of his shell in college, but has now developed into a senior leader.

“He’s opened up a little bit,” Blakeney said. “He’s actually walked up to me and talked to me a couple of times this year. He’s such a good kid and he’s always trying to do the right thing for the team and himself.”

Butler said he’s even noticed Sheffield’s lighter side.

“He clowns a little bit around the other guys,” Butler said. “I catch it out of the corner of my eye. When he gets around me, he’s serious. He likes to have fun.

There’s a time and place for everything and he knows it. When it’s time to go, he’s ready to go.”

The 6-foot-2, 249-pound Sheffield is projected as a fourth-round NFL Draft pick by CBSSports.com and is listed as an outside linebacker. With a big season, he could shoot up draft boards like DeMarcus Ware and Leodis McKelvin did.

“I consider it a blessing coming from where I came from, but I’ll continue to remain humble about it,” Sheffield said.

KCrockaholic
04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Correct, but you made a point about him being small and used Dumervil as your example. That is fine, but I'm saying he's graded small because his analysis is at the defensive end position and not the OLB position that he will be playing in the future. Which is why there is/was a "small size" argument for front line play.

I never said Sheffield was small. I said he wasn't small, and the people that think a 6'3 257 pound OLB is small are fooling themselves.

Sheffield won't be playing DE. He's a average sized 3-4 LB now in the NFL. End of story.

notorious
04-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I never said Sheffield was small. I said he wasn't small, and the people that think a 6'3 257 pound OLB is small are fooling themselves.

Sheffield won't be playing DE. He's a average sized 3-4 LB now in the NFL. End of story.

This. Again.

L.A. Chieffan
04-24-2010, 12:51 PM
from what ive read and seen hes kinda slow.

Chris Meck
04-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Hey did you guys hear? This Sheffield guy-he's SMALL. And SLOW. Way too small to play DE.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I love our 5th round picks more than our 2nd round picks I know that much

This is a good indication you're a moron.

FD
04-24-2010, 01:59 PM
This is a good indication you're a moron.

I think he means in terms of "value," and thats a reasonable thing to think. I love the Sheffield pick.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Great pick in the 5th.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I think he means in terms of "value," and thats a reasonable thing to think. I love the Sheffield pick.

How can you read the mind of a moron ?

Sannyasi
04-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Wish we would have went after an OLB earlier in the draft, but this is a solid pick.

malachi47000
04-24-2010, 03:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtJT1-uqcik

Scroll to the 2:00 min mark. This is Sheffield footage from the Senior Bowl.

wazu
04-24-2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtJT1-uqcik

Scroll to the 2:00 min mark. This is Sheffield footage from the Senior Bowl.

He showed good character on that play, though. I got the impression he was really trying.