PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What makes Eric Berry a better prospect than Earl Thomas

DallasChief
04-25-2010, 08:49 PM
For all those here who watched both play- why is Eric Berry the better pick? From a production stand point it looks as if Thomas had 4 times more INTs than Berry last season.

I'm not bashing the pick at all but since I don't follow college football I'm interested.

Ebolapox
04-25-2010, 08:49 PM
this should end well.

RustShack
04-25-2010, 08:51 PM
This makes more sense than Pawnmowers fucking threads about two completely different players.

Joe Seahawk
04-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Thomas is better.. ;)

kcxiv
well, i know Berry can play in the box or can play centerfield. Maybe thats the difference? he's pretty damned good in any scheme.

teedubya
It's very simple, really.

Earl Thomas doesn't have a video like this.

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hr2MOiEnnF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hr2MOiEnnF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

DallasChief
I know I'll prob get flamed since I don't follow college ball or pretend to know alot about the top 10 picks. It's cool-ill take it

CaliforniaChief
04-25-2010, 08:54 PM
No worries. Starting threads about things you don't know things about are generally good ways to make friends/influence people. I'm sure you'll get the information you're looking for in a calm, rational way. Good luck!

L.A. Chieffan
I think your question should be:

What makes Moeaki a better prospect than Pitta/Graham/McCoy?

Ming the Merciless
This makes more sense than Pawnmowers ****ing threads about two completely different players.

Yes, it is simpler for you to understand, moron.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2928/rustshack.jpg

Hammock Parties
04-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Earl Thomas is from Texas.

mcaj22
04-25-2010, 08:56 PM

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hr2MOiEnnF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hr2MOiEnnF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

holy shit this has to be some sort of funny joke.

AustinChief
Berry is more polished and slightly better in run support. He is also smarter and very high character, a natural leader. (not that Thomas is a thug, just haven't heard as much GOOD as I have regarding Berry)

That said, he isn't leaps and bounds better but he is better. They both should have very productive careers...

In this years draft, the dropoff after those two was massive.

DJ's left nut
For all those here who watched both play- why is Eric Berry the better pick? From a production stand point it looks as if Thomas had 4 times more INTs than Berry last season.

I'm not bashing the pick at all but since I don't follow college football I'm interested.

Physical attributes, leadership ability/intangibles and respective roles in the defense.

Thomas was allowed to play a pure CF and ball-hawk. Berry was asked to do quite a bit more for the Vols. He essentially doubled as a linebacker for the squad in run-support.

Berry has a far better football frame. He's built thicker and he's been far less injury-prone. Thomas is a fairly slight guy for someone that's intended to be a safety in the NFL. I can't see him avoiding missing a handful of games every year with the physical toll that safety takes on the body.

Thomas has had some work ethic worries whereas Berry has one of the best makeups in the draft. And there's the Longhorn factor.

Ming the Merciless
It is a valid question, don't mind all the hate, OP. The tards that are getting angry at the question are just angry they don't know the answer....anyone who actually was confident in the answer would simply just answer the question.

The tards that are getting angry feel deep inside that Seattle may have had the draft WE wanted (okung + thomas + more)

Ebolapox
yeah, swiperboy said it all.

Ming the Merciless
04-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Physical attributes, leadership ability/intangibles and respective roles in the defense.

Thomas was allowed to play a pure CF and ball-hawk. Berry was asked to do quite a bit more for the Vols. He essentially doubled as a linebacker for the squad in run-support.

Berry has a far better football frame. He's built thicker and he's been far less injury-prone. Thomas is a fairly slight guy for someone that's intended to be a safety in the NFL. I can't see him avoiding missing a handful of games every year with the physical toll that safety takes on the body.

Thomas has had some work ethic worries whereas Berry has one of the best makeups in the draft. And there's the Longhorn factor.

Nice breakdown, +rep

RustShack
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Its kinda funny how much pawnmower is obsessed with rep and neg reping people.

teedubya
04-25-2010, 09:02 PM
I'd like to see a video with this song singing "Hallie Berry. Hallie Beeeeery"

http://goremasterfx.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/halle_berry_bond.jpg

DallasChief
Thanks for the info. I was just wondering when I heard all the hype and checked the stats I thought I would see more than just 2 ints for last season but I guess that's because he was used so much in run support.

Ming the Merciless

coming from someone who neg repped me...

LOL I haven't even neg repped you lately, even though you talk shit every chance you get...

Did you like the pic i made for you?

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2928/rustshack.jpg

if so please +rep...

The reason I +repped the last guy was I thought it was a great response...jealous?

DJ's left nut
Berry is more polished and slightly better in run support. He is also smarter and very high character, a natural leader. (not that Thomas is a thug, just haven't heard as much GOOD as I have regarding Berry)

That said, he isn't leaps and bounds better but he is better. They both should have very productive careers...

In this years draft, the dropoff after those two was massive.

Another point worth mentioning.

Thomas was by no means a bad prospect; in any other draft he's easily the first safety taken. But with the very real injury concerns and the fact that he is physically less projectable and doesn't have quite the work ethic/character strengths that Berry has, he was pretty clearly not quite as good a prospect as Berry.

I see Thomas as a Donte Whitner type whereas Eric Berry could be Ed Reed. Donte Whitner is a very good player and nearly any team would be lucky to have him, but Ed Reed is a superstar.

Ebolapox
04-25-2010, 09:03 PM

what's really funny is that he loses rep every time he negs people: his carry almost no weight, the people who rep him back have heavier sticks. he shoots himself in the foot every time he negs somebody.

milkman
04-25-2010, 09:03 PM

Berry gives more versatility as well, can play both stron and free safety.

Nice breakdown, DJ

Chiefnj2
04-25-2010, 09:04 PM
If you compare their #'s for their first two years in college, they are very similar. Both guys are excellent ball hawks.

You can't look at Berry's INTs this year because Kiffen played him in the box and used him to support the run a lot more.

Berry is a little more physical and a better tackler in the open field. There were some reports saying Thomas wasn't good against the run, which I disagree with.

Thomas is a little less experienced than Berry.

IMO, both were top 10 talents in the draft.

milkman
04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Yes, it is simpler for you to understand, moron.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2928/rustshack.jpg

Gotta say, though intended as an insult, it made me laugh.

Ming the Merciless
04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
what's really funny is that he loses rep every time he negs people: his carry almost no weight, the people who rep him back have heavier sticks. he shoots himself in the foot every time he negs somebody.

I don't hardly neg rep anyone....

Really don't know how it works nor do I really care...I just +rep good stuff and neg rep bad stuff...

RealSNR
04-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Berry learned Monte Kiffin's defense in one year flat, which required him to play as more of a box safety than a ball hawk over the downfield receiver routes. That's something he wasn't used to doing, but he still excelled at both learning the defense and DIRECTING it on the field as the season wore on. Look at Berry's previous two seasons and you'll catch the difference.

He's also bigger, faster, and has proven to be a solid football player his entire NCAA career. Earl Thomas really came on his senior year but was less of a sure thing.

That's my answer, at least. This IS a legitimate question, too. If you were to ask me something retarded like comparing the impact of Dexter McCluster vs Toby Gerhart on the NFL, I would have told you to die in a fire.

milkman
People are far too obsessed with rep around here.

Ming the Merciless
Gotta say, though intended as an insult, it made me laugh.

+rep!!

LOL thats what I was going for!

I try and get cheap laughs whenever I can...

Back to the subject:

Thomas Versus Berry

Rain Man
Stupid Eric Berry question here, but will we be lining him up at strong safety? I've been assuming free safety the whole time, but saw something somewhere that mentioned strong safety. Honestly, I haven't paid attention because I assumed he was a free safety.

RustShack
04-25-2010, 09:07 PM
coming from someone who neg repped me...

LOL I haven't even neg repped you lately, even though you talk shit every chance you get...

Did you like the pic i made for you?

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2928/rustshack.jpg

if so please +rep...

The reason I +repped the last guy was I thought it was a great response...jealous?

You neg repped me like an hour ago ROFL

Chiefnj2
04-25-2010, 09:07 PM
He's also bigger, faster, and has proven to be a solid football player his entire NCAA career. Earl Thomas really came on his senior year but was less of a sure thing.

Earl Thomas came out as a sophomore.

CHENZ A!
04-25-2010, 09:08 PM

uhhh that song exists and was the influence for the eric berry version

Ming the Merciless
04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
I dont think it can be looked at in a vacuum.

I believe what we should look at is Berry + the #36 (McCluster) versus a #5 (Okung, Williams D or T, etc) & Thomas..

I Like the latter better, although Berry + a different #36 might have made me happier.

DJ's left nut
04-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Stupid Eric Berry question here, but will we be lining him up at strong safety? I've been assuming free safety the whole time, but saw something somewhere that mentioned strong safety. Honestly, I haven't paid attention because I assumed he was a free safety.

Almost has to. That's part of why I was upset that we didn't take Mays if we weren't sold on Clausen.

Page can't play SS and there's not really another SS on the roster. So the only place Berry can really play is SS with Page at FS.

That greatly diminishes one of his greatest strengths (playmaking ability).

Just another example of a poor pick that hurts the overall roster beyond the opportunity cost.

RealSNR
04-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Earl Thomas came out as a sophomore.That's what I meant. I knew that :doh!:

DJ's left nut
04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I dont think it can be looked at in a vacuum.

I believe what we should look at is Berry + the #36 (McCluster) versus a #5 (Okung, Williams D or T, etc) & Thomas..

I Like the latter better, although Berry + a different #36 might have made me happier.

Uh...except that Thomas went 14th overall, a whopping 9 picks after Berry.

There was no way we were getting Okung and Thomas unless you think the Seahawks were going to trade us both of their firsts to move up from 6 to 5.

Rain Man
04-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Almost has to. That's part of why I was upset that we didn't take Mays if we weren't sold on Clausen.

Page can't play SS and there's not really another SS on the roster. So the only place Berry can really play is SS with Page at FS.

That greatly diminishes one of his greatest strengths (playmaking ability).

Just another example of a poor pick that hurts the overall roster beyond the opportunity cost.

I guess that's why I'm scratching my head, too. People keep comparing him to Ed Reed, but Reed's a free safety. In fact, pretty much every first-round safety ever has been a free safety, and virtually every top-15 pick as far as I know.

It's much easier to swallow a free-safety as a top-15 pick over a strong safety.

kcpasco
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM

Unlike the current safeties Berry can actually play run defense, so I'd say they use him at SS.

kcpasco
04-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I guess that's why I'm scratching my head, too. People keep comparing him to Ed Reed, but Reed's a free safety. In fact, pretty much every first-round safety ever has been a free safety, and virtually every top-15 pick as far as I know.

It's much easier to swallow a free-safety as a top-15 pick over a strong safety.

Ya I hope someone else can step up at safety so we can use him as a free safety.

DJ's left nut
04-25-2010, 09:19 PM

Agreed.

Even when Pioli did something I liked, he promptly damaged it's value.

WildTurkey
04-25-2010, 09:20 PM

Berry has the skills to play either spot.... and do well at either spot

LaChapelle
04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Two first names
case closed
stupid southern hick

Chiefnj2
04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Playing Berry at SS with a poor NT and no ILB's to speak of = injury waiting to happen.

DJ's left nut
04-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Two first names
case closed
stupid southern hick

I know more people named Barry than I know people named Earl.

LaChapelle
04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Doesn't work with a southern twang
Earl Thomas get your elbows off the table!!

Jamie
04-25-2010, 09:36 PM

Roy Williams and LaRon Landry were top 15 strong safeties, off the top of my head. Polamalu went in the teens also.

crazycoffey
04-25-2010, 09:51 PM
People are far too obsessed with rep around here.

rep

KCrockaholic
04-25-2010, 10:11 PM
This was a stupid question. I'm assuming somebody already answered it.

Talking about Eric Berry's Junior year when his INT total went down is very simple if you did any kind of studying on Berry last year.

aturnis
04-25-2010, 10:23 PM

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fz0pKNYlwMg"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fz0pKNYlwMg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

It's a parody of exactly that...

Psyko Tek
04-25-2010, 11:04 PM

awww fuck no
cut his ass
sign the dancers