PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What makes Tony Moeaki a better prospect than Graham/Hernandez/Pitta/McCoy?

L.A. Chieffan
04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Plus another 5th?

Rain Man
04-25-2010, 09:10 PM
He was drafted higher. Therefore, he must be a better prospect.

L.A. Chieffan
04-25-2010, 09:12 PM
He was drafted higher. Therefore, he must be a better prospect.

Checkmate.

DeezNutz
04-25-2010, 09:16 PM
He smells like Ferentz.

bowener
04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
http://www.layoutlocator.com/graphics/dldimg/2dc3b9298a1b4f37fd28a6e89c05eea7_53081907062802.gif

Only one I could find in such short notice. It will have to do.

Ironically, maybe that is how Moeaki was drafted.

chiefzilla1501
04-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Moeaki is a terrific blocker and can catch (not as well as those other guys, but well).

Apart from McCoy, all those guys are lousy blockers.

You have to stop thinking of TEs in a traditional Todd Heap sense. Charlie Weis likes Tight Ends who can block and catch.

BWillie
04-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Moeaki is just as athletic or moreso, has just as good of hands, and can actually block.

MoreLemonPledge
04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
BECAUSE THE LAST TIME WE DRAFTED A TIGHT END NAMED TONY HE WAS THE GREATEST EVER

CoMoChief
04-25-2010, 09:28 PM
This was probably the one pick i just absolutely did not understand.

We have 2 TE's, both whom are serviceable, Cottam was catching on at the end of the season. Pope is a big target as well. Though he needs to catch the ball, but that can improve.

Moeaki(sp?) is a TE that didn't play much in college because he was made of glass, and personally I don't see how this guy really "improves" the offense, or at least can give the Chiefs something the other 2 TE's can't. Especially in Haley's offense where the TE isn't as much of a focal point.

And the fact that we gave up picks to trade up for this guy baffles me even more.

DeezNutz
04-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Is this douche going to stay healthy or not?

Have we started construction of a magic salve, yet? Who is on that? FAX?

ChiefMojo
04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of Moeaki since I've seen numerous Hawkeye games this year. The main thing that puts him above others mentioned is the fact he is a much better blocker. Guys Pitta and Hernandez are so-so blockers at best, but glorified WR's. Moeaki is much more similar to the top flight TE's in the NFL... he can actually do both very well. Once Gresham and Gronokowski went off the board, Moeaki was the best available ALL-AROUND TE in the draft bar none.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
04-25-2010, 09:37 PM
not that Im thrilled with trading up to take a TE in the late third, but I rather have Moeaki than Gronkowski

warpaint*
04-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Given his injury history why should anyone believe he will remain reasonably healthy when the hits get harder and there are more of them?

Hoover
04-25-2010, 09:39 PM
He's been coached up.

He's the most complete because he knows how to block, not just catch the ball.

chiefzilla1501
04-25-2010, 09:39 PM
This was probably the one pick i just absolutely did not understand.

We have 2 TE's, both whom are serviceable, Cottam was catching on at the end of the season. Pope is a big target as well. Though he needs to catch the ball, but that can improve.

Moeaki(sp?) is a TE that didn't play much in college because he was made of glass, and personally I don't see how this guy really "improves" the offense, or at least can give the Chiefs something the other 2 TE's can't. Especially in Haley's offense where the TE isn't as much of a focal point.

And the fact that we gave up picks to trade up for this guy baffles me even more.

Cottam can't stay on the field. Pope is a big target, but he's a so-so receiver and an adequate blocker at best. And no TE on the Chiefs' roster is a particularly good blocker, which is something that always comes in handy. And Weis often runs 2-TE sets.

Whether that means adding another layer of pass protection on some plays. Being a much more effective short yardage blocker. Being a guy who can be a good addition to a 2-TE set. Or being a guy with the versatility to both block and receive, which gives Weis greater flexibility to call different plays with the same personnel. These are all things he adds that no one on our roster has.

But again, blocking. Most of the guys we passed on can't do it nearly as well, and none on our roster either.

OnTheWarpath15
04-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Cottam can't stay on the field.

Yet people are defending the Moeaki pick, a guy who missed twenty-five games in his college career.

Interesting.

Titty Meat
04-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Anyone seen the Monica music video? Chad Johnson is in it.

Ralphy Boy
04-25-2010, 10:13 PM
If he ends up being better than clay harbor I'll be happy but I don't think he will.

aturnis
04-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Tony Moeaki
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 245 | 40-Time: 4.69

Official Bio

Strengths:
Adequate height and bulk --- Above average athleticism --- Has soft, reliable hands --- Great focus and concentration --- Terrific ball skills and body control --- Nice instincts and awareness --- Gets the job done as a blocker both in-line and on the move --- Tough --- Competitive and Determined --- Superb Work Ethic --- Leader --- Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:
Durability is a major concern --- Just average speed and is not very explosive --- Doesn't get a lot of separation --- Won't be a vertical threat --- Needs to refine his route running --- Not overly powerful --- Is not very elusive --- Relatively Inexperienced --- Wasn't Real Productive.

Notes:
Last name is pronounced "MO-ee-AH-kee" --- Only started 15 games for the Hawkeyes --- Named 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2009 --- Served as a team captain --- Was a very highly-touted recruit coming out of high school --- Backed up future San Diego Chargers 4th Round pick Scott Chandler in 2005 and 2006 --- Missed most of the 2007 season due to an assortment of ailments (sprained shoulder, broken wrist, dislocated elbow) and after undergoing multiple surgeries was granted a medical redshirt --- Suffered a broken foot in 2008, which ultimately required two surgeries to correct, and also dealt with hamstring, calf and concussion issues --- Missed three games in 2009 with a sprained ankle --- Not flashy but a solid all-around player with the talent to play and perhaps even compete for a starting job at the next level if he can just find a way to stay healthy --- Should at least be a quality backup and could be a steal if he can avoid the injury bug, but that's a big "If".

Career Statistics
Year GP REC YDS YPC TD
2005 12 8 112 14.0 0
2006 13 11 140 12.7 3
2007 4 14 170 12.1 3
2008 9 12 146 12.2 1
2009 10 30 387 12.9 4
Totals 48 75 955 12.7 11

jspchief
04-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Yet people are defending the Moeaki pick, a guy who missed twenty-five games in his college career.

Interesting.How many games did McCluster miss?

aturnis
04-25-2010, 10:32 PM
His biggest attributes are:

Great hands - Doesn't drop much
Great blocker - Watch him handle Derrick Morgan

Basically we have two TE's who have very average hands, and neither one can block a lick. So bring in Moeaki. He should help the run game as much as the passing game. Which is good when an explosive guy like Charles needs just one more block that Cottam and Pope can't provide. He's a well rounded player.

OnTheWarpath15
04-25-2010, 11:05 PM
How many games did McCluster miss?

I don't know.

I also don't know what McCluster has to do with criticizing Cottam for being in the tub, and ignoring that Moeaki has missed close to half of his college games.

KCrockaholic
04-25-2010, 11:07 PM
His biggest attributes are:

Great hands - Doesn't drop much
Great blocker - Watch him handle Derrick Morgan

Basically we have two TE's who have very average hands, and neither one can block a lick. So bring in Moeaki. He should help the run game as much as the passing game. Which is good when an explosive guy like Charles needs just one more block that Cottam and Pope can't provide. He's a well rounded player.

:thumb: If this guy can stay healthy, we have a hell of a TE. But that is a big IF.

philfree
04-25-2010, 11:26 PM
We sure miss Jason Dunn...it wasn't just Roaf and Shields.......

PhilFree:arrow:

KCrockaholic
04-25-2010, 11:29 PM
We sure miss Jason Dunn...it wasn't just Roaf and Shields.......

Dunn was an extra tackle. He may have weighed 280 or so, but he blocked like a 330lber.

philfree
04-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Dunn was an extra tackle. He may have weighed 280 or so, but he blocked like a 330lber.

He took bad and made it ass...LOL

CoMoChief
04-26-2010, 02:04 AM
Cottam can't stay on the field. Pope is a big target, but he's a so-so receiver and an adequate blocker at best. And no TE on the Chiefs' roster is a particularly good blocker, which is something that always comes in handy. And Weis often runs 2-TE sets.

Whether that means adding another layer of pass protection on some plays. Being a much more effective short yardage blocker. Being a guy who can be a good addition to a 2-TE set. Or being a guy with the versatility to both block and receive, which gives Weis greater flexibility to call different plays with the same personnel. These are all things he adds that no one on our roster has.

But again, blocking. Most of the guys we passed on can't do it nearly as well, and none on our roster either.

If it was blocking they were mainly focusing on, then trading up and giving away picks to do that, was a dumb fucking decision.

Mecca
04-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Pitta and Hernandez are straight flex Te's because of their heights and poor blocking...

McCoy isn't quite as fast as Moeaki and is much bigger and is probably overall a better prospect but he smoked weed and hey weed is awful apparently.

Saccopoo
04-26-2010, 02:26 AM
Bullshit. Moeaki has had problems holding onto the ball, when he was able to get onto the field.

He's not ideal size, being 6'3" and 245 lbs., and he's not even close to being the receiving threat that Pitta is.

Go watch the highlights. Pitta gets off the line faster than any tight end in this draft, runs text book routes, has fantastic hands and routinely makes circus catches. He's also like a halfback in the open field. He's been consistently the best tight end in college over the past three seasons. And he's got legit size (6'5", 250 lbs.). Durable, Team captain of BYU. IMO, the best tight end in this draft and has the potential to be an All Pro from the get go in the right system. The all time yardage reception leader for the position.

Hernandez is a pure receiving threat tight end that opened up the Florida offense this past season. A lot of speed and can turn the corner quick and head up field like a freight train. Excelled in a system that doesn't really feature tight ends. He won the Mackey Award and was 2nd team AA (to Pitta's first team AA).

McCoy is a dual threat tight end that was nearly identical to last years #1 TE pick Brandon Pettigrew. Huge and fast, with an ability to also hold the point of attack better than any other tight end in this draft. However, he's an idiot that decided to fire up a nickel bag right before the combine. Piss poor decision making skills. If he gets it together, he could be the next Alge Crumpler.

Graham is the TE with the biggest question marks in this draft. Played only sparingly for a single year and was a former basketball player at Miami. Ideal size with very limited on field experience. All the talent in the world from a physical perspective, but no one really knows what he will be able to do on the field. Huge boom/bust type of player.

Moeaki was the #1 TE prospect as a prep but never was able to live up to the hype due to injuries throughout his college career. He's strong, but not ideal sized. He's got good speed, but has had issues with drops. With Moeaki, it's a case of what could have been versus what was.

If it was my pick, it's easily Dennis Pitta.

Mecca
04-26-2010, 02:31 AM
McCoy probably should have been the pick but since he's not an angel, he wasn't.

Saccopoo
04-26-2010, 02:36 AM
McCoy probably should have been the pick but since he's not an angel, he wasn't.

For what the Chiefs want out of a tight end, I agree that McCoy would have been the perfect guy for the system. Pitta's receiving gifts would probably have been wasted.

McCoy was the guy. Unfortunately, he is apparently dumber than a bag of hammers, and while that might have been acceptable even a scant five years ago, it ain't now. Real tragedy as I thought he was a guy who would have really helped the Chiefs. *shrug*

Mecca
04-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Eh USC is actually a good school so I don't think he's dumb, he just made a poor decision.

We could have taken advantage of it because he was really a 2nd or 3rd round talent.

Saccopoo
04-26-2010, 02:42 AM
Eh USC is actually a good school so I don't think he's dumb, he just made a poor decision.

We could have taken advantage of it because he was really a 2nd or 3rd round talent.

I agree, but he's dumb. To fire up a bong a month before the combine when you have a chance to be a second round pick is dumb. That's not a poor decision, that's just being fucking stupid as hell. He probably will be a very good player up in Seattle, but he cost himself a lot of money that he'll have to bust his ass to recuperate.

BossChief
04-26-2010, 03:06 AM
1) great hands
2) decent speed
3) knows how to find the soft spot against zone coverage
4) can help stalemate good pass rushers and does a good job setting the edge on runs.
5) Runs good routes.
6) VERY clutch player. When the situation calls for a big play to be made for a fist down, he is dependable.
7) very very coachable.

McCoy missed all last year and then for his job interview for his career, he couldnt stop doing drugs for long enough to pass a piss test he knew was coming. I dont care about the weed at all, I care about the reason behind it.
Graham is a pure receiving talent with limited experience playing football and is riding the hype of previous basketball players turned into tight ends.
Hernandez is completely one dimensional in a way that doesn't fill what we ask of the position
I don't know a lot about Pitta to say one way or the other.

When we are in 3rd and 9, this guy will run the route at the proper depth, get open, make the catch, break a tackle and get an extra 5 or 6 years on effort alone and will conduct himself as a professional off the field. That is infectious and it leads to other players "stepping their game up". We will watch replays of Charles long runs from next year and will frequently notice that Moeaki made the block that sprung the runner.

Having a guy like him that is a receiving threat as well as good blocker can let us run no huddle and 2 minute offenses much more effectively because of his versatility.

Ferentz has said that he is the best tight end he has coached and Dallas Clark is in that conversation.

Moeaki will give us about everything we ask of our tight ends, I just hope he doesn't get unlucky and get another fluke injury.

I think the kid is gonna be a star.

Mecca
04-26-2010, 03:09 AM
Uh McCoy did not miss all of last year, what are you talking about?

If you wanna talk about him smoking weed or whatever that's fine, it took him from a 2 to a 5, but he didn't miss a season and he doesn't have durability problems.

Saccopoo
04-26-2010, 03:24 AM
Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ga1ln7L3qUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ga1ln7L3qUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BossChief
04-26-2010, 03:28 AM
Uh McCoy did not miss all of last year, what are you talking about?

If you wanna talk about him smoking weed or whatever that's fine, it took him from a 2 to a 5, but he didn't miss a season and he doesn't have durability problems.

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Mecca
04-26-2010, 03:32 AM
Hey he went to the Ravens, so he'll probably end up pretty good.