PDA

View Full Version : Our F-ing draft!

Ralphy Boy
04-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Okay, I really did not like the draft. The Berry pick was great but after that I didn’t like the way they went about it.

I don’t believe that Pioli & Haley actually stacked the board and ranked the players. I think they developed an infatuation with McCluster and reached on him. I believe the reason they didn’t have their assistants in the draft room was because they didn’t want everyone to see them throwing out all of the scouting reports, just to take who they wanted most. Basically I think Pioli did it just like he did last year.

The way I look at the 2nd round is this; Pioli & Haley tried to get cute here and screwed everything up. It would be one thing if we passed on Clausen to address an area of concern with the best player available but we didn’t. Whoever you draft in the 2nd should, IMO, be looked at as an eventual starter and I don’t see that in either of them.

I'd have rather had Clausen & Tate than McCluster & Arenas.

First of all I don't buy the BS that Philly was going to take McCluster. I think Nate Allen was their choice all along. Everyone thought they were going to take Earl Thomas in the first, but they took Graham knowing that Allen would be there in the 2nd. McCluster doesn't offer Philly anything that Jeremy Maclin & DeSean Jackson don’t already do.

Basically I see the picks of McCluster & Arenas as “cute” picks. As in Pioli & Haley tried to get cute by taking them because both are undersized guys who don’t have a real position. Does anyone actually believe either of these two will be starters? How many plays a game will these guys really get?

McCluster vs. Tate.
I'm not taking anything away from McCluster, he's dynamic and great. Everyone is rationalizing him as a multipurpose player who can rush & receive and he’s pretty good at both, but better as a RB. Given his lack of size, I can’t see him holding up in the NFL as a rusher and that wasn’t an area of need for us. For now he’s slotted as a WR, so I have to compare his ability there to that of Tate.
Career numbers:
McCluster = 130 catches, 1,703 yards (13.1 avg), 7 TD's
Tate = 157 catches, 2,707 yards (17.24 avg), 26 TD's

Obviously McCluster is not on Tate’s level as a pure receiver, but he’s a much better rusher so in my mind they are essentially break even.

The problem is that taking McCluster not only cost us Clausen, but we could have had someone who is, if not as good or better of a receiver, he is at the very least just a step below.

I know that they will use him as a rusher and I know that he’ll create matchup problems; I just don’t think there are enough rushing attempts in the season to go around to justify taking him this high.

Maybe they'll use him as a returner but his averages are less than spectacular in that area. 7.13 avg on punts and 19.68 on kickoffs for McCluster compared to 11.04 & 20.6 averages for Tate.

Maybe McCluster would have made it to the #50 pick, maybe he wouldn’t. Again, I don’t buy that Philly was going to take him at #37. Shit gets tossed out every year that someone is going to take someone and maybe half of it is true.

Arenas vs. the rest of the 2nd round talent.
This just made very little sense to me. What in the world makes Pioli think that it’s okay to take a return man this high? He’s a return guy and a very good punt returner.

He’s not a realistic every down option at CB and doesn’t really have the size to ever be, so it just makes little sense. We needed a starter here, not a role player, because we JUST took a role player in McCluster. There were at least 6 picks here that could have been made for an eventual starter and half of those would have been better than what we have on the roster right now.

I really don’t mind the Asamoah pick. I can’t say I was really excited about it, but he seems like a good player with a good head on his shoulders. It would just seem to me that we could have addressed our completely vacant pass rush or done something to close the "All Rushing Lane's Open" sign instead.

As far as trading up for Moeaki, I think they panicked and I think it was a horrible pick. Indianapolis was picking next and I think they must have thought that Indy would take him, since they did well with the last Iowa TE they picked in Dallas Clark. I don’t see anything worth getting excited about. Risking two picks (the two we traded up to get him) is insane for a guy who has only played in 21 games the last 3 years.

Obviously I can’t do anything about it, other than bitch. So just to make myself feel better, I’m going to say that, knowing what I know now about how the players came off the board, that this is how I would have drafted.

1 Eric Berry, FS
2a Jimmy Clausen, QB
2b Golden Tate, WR
3 Donald Butler, ILB
4 Clay Harbor, TE
5a Perrish Cox, CB
5b Cameron Sheffield, OLB
5c Cam Thomas, NT

I'd have been pretty torn about taking Clausen with Kindle on the board but I'd have done it. If we took Clausen, we could have still had Tate too and I think the two of them combined would be much better than McCluster & Arenas.

I can't imagine that Romeo & Charlie aren't pissed about not being in the draft room.

McCluster better end up being A LOT better than Tate and Jimmy combined. That or Jimmy better be a head case who has a huge meltdown ala Todd Marinovich.

Every pick they made after Berry, up until Lewis, was made to make Cassel look better and while I hope it was worth it, I can't help but question the picks.

I'll go back to hoping and praying that he will improve and be the guy that they thought we were getting. I'll hope and pray for a Trent Green 2nd Season Recovery. I'll fall in line with everyone else who has basically already decided that the "experts" were right. I'll try not to be envious of the teams that got the players I wanted us to get. I'll try not to wonder why I love this freaking team so much.

Okay, my venting is over.

Ebolapox
04-26-2010, 07:33 PM
I agree.

Reerun_KC
04-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Need some tissue?

Tribal Warfare
04-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Cassel is still the main man, thus we are fucked. We won't win shit with him at the helm "leading" the offense. Hell, Steve Young, Kiper, and Gruden questioned his leadership capabilities before the 36th pick. Then Steve Young galvanized the issue by saying Pioli doesn't want to be proven wrong.

ChiefaRoo
04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Okay, I really did not like the draft. The Berry pick was great but after that I didn’t like the way they went about it.

I don’t believe that Pioli & Haley actually stacked the board and ranked the players. I think they developed an infatuation with McCluster and reached on him. I believe the reason they didn’t have their assistants in the draft room was because they didn’t want everyone to see them throwing out all of the scouting reports, just to take who they wanted most. Basically I think Pioli did it just like he did last year.

The way I look at the 2nd round is this; Pioli & Haley tried to get cute here and screwed everything up. It would be one thing if we passed on Clausen to address an area of concern with the best player available but we didn’t. Whoever you draft in the 2nd should, IMO, be looked at as an eventual starter and I don’t see that in either of them.

I'd have rather had Clausen & Tate than McCluster & Arenas.

First of all I don't buy the BS that Philly was going to take McCluster. I think Nate Allen was their choice all along. Everyone thought they were going to take Earl Thomas in the first, but they took Graham knowing that Allen would be there in the 2nd. McCluster doesn't offer Philly anything that Jeremy Maclin & DeSean Jackson don’t already do.

Basically I see the picks of McCluster & Arenas as “cute” picks. As in Pioli & Haley tried to get cute by taking them because both are undersized guys who don’t have a real position. Does anyone actually believe either of these two will be starters? How many plays a game will these guys really get?

McCluster vs. Tate.
I'm not taking anything away from McCluster, he's dynamic and great. Everyone is rationalizing him as a multipurpose player who can rush & receive and he’s pretty good at both, but better as a RB. Given his lack of size, I can’t see him holding up in the NFL as a rusher and that wasn’t an area of need for us. For now he’s slotted as a WR, so I have to compare his ability there to that of Tate.
Career numbers:
McCluster = 130 catches, 1,703 yards (13.1 avg), 7 TD's
Tate = 157 catches, 2,707 yards (17.24 avg), 26 TD's

Obviously McCluster is not on Tate’s level as a pure receiver, but he’s a much better rusher so in my mind they are essentially break even.

The problem is that taking McCluster not only cost us Clausen, but we could have had someone who is, if not as good or better of a receiver, he is at the very least just a step below.

I know that they will use him as a rusher and I know that he’ll create matchup problems; I just don’t think there are enough rushing attempts in the season to go around to justify taking him this high.

Maybe they'll use him as a returner but his averages are less than spectacular in that area. 7.13 avg on punts and 19.68 on kickoffs for McCluster compared to 11.04 & 20.6 averages for Tate.

Maybe McCluster would have made it to the #50 pick, maybe he wouldn’t. Again, I don’t buy that Philly was going to take him at #37. Shit gets tossed out every year that someone is going to take someone and maybe half of it is true.

Arenas vs. the rest of the 2nd round talent.
This just made very little sense to me. What in the world makes Pioli think that it’s okay to take a return man this high? He’s a return guy and a very good punt returner.

He’s not a realistic every down option at CB and doesn’t really have the size to ever be, so it just makes little sense. We needed a starter here, not a role player, because we JUST took a role player in McCluster. There were at least 6 picks here that could have been made for an eventual starter and half of those would have been better than what we have on the roster right now.

I really don’t mind the Asamoah pick. I can’t say I was really excited about it, but he seems like a good player with a good head on his shoulders. It would just seem to me that we could have addressed our completely vacant pass rush or done something to close the "All Rushing Lane's Open" sign instead.

As far as trading up for Moeaki, I think they panicked and I think it was a horrible pick. Indianapolis was picking next and I think they must have thought that Indy would take him, since they did well with the last Iowa TE they picked in Dallas Clark. I don’t see anything worth getting excited about. Risking two picks (the two we traded up to get him) is insane for a guy who has only played in 21 games the last 3 years.

Obviously I can’t do anything about it, other than bitch. So just to make myself feel better, I’m going to say that, knowing what I know now about how the players came off the board, that this is how I would have drafted.

1 Eric Berry, FS
2a Jimmy Clausen, QB
2b Golden Tate, WR
3 Donald Butler, ILB
4 Clay Harbor, TE
5a Perrish Cox, CB
5b Cameron Sheffield, OLB
5c Cam Thomas, NT

I'd have been pretty torn about taking Clausen with Kindle on the board but I'd have done it. If we took Clausen, we could have still had Tate too and I think the two of them combined would be much better than McCluster & Arenas.

I can't imagine that Romeo & Charlie aren't pissed about not being in the draft room.

McCluster better end up being A LOT better than Tate and Jimmy combined. That or Jimmy better be a head case who has a huge meltdown ala Todd Marinovich.

Every pick they made after Berry, up until Lewis, was made to make Cassel look better and while I hope it was worth it, I can't help but question the picks.

I'll go back to hoping and praying that he will improve and be the guy that they thought we were getting. I'll hope and pray for a Trent Green 2nd Season Recovery. I'll fall in line with everyone else who has basically already decided that the "experts" were right. I'll try not to be envious of the teams that got the players I wanted us to get. I'll try not to wonder why I love this freaking team so much.

Okay, my venting is over.

FAIL

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
I can't imagine the sand in the vagina of the person that felt the need to write a 2,500 word expose of why they preferred their mock draft to the Chiefs actual draft.

LMAO

JFC.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Oh, and this Cam Thomas infatuation has finally reached the level of the Mike Peterson infatuation.

Tribal Warfare
04-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Oh, and this Cam Thomas infatuation has finally reached the level of the Mike Peterson infatuation.

Mike Peterson!!!!!(kneels and bows)

Ebolapox
04-26-2010, 08:19 PM
hey, dane, not cool. I once saw cam thomas jump the snap, grab the runningback by his nape of his neck, steal the football from the qb (while grabbing his wrist with his other hand), and run to a touchdown while simultaneously talking to tim tebow on his bluetooth, orally writing his doctoral dissertation on advanced particle physics, skipping, and balancing the football on his pickle.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
hey, dane, not cool. I once saw cam thomas jump the snap, grab the runningback by his nape of his neck, steal the football from the qb (while grabbing his wrist with his other hand), and run to a touchdown while simultaneously talking to tim tebow on his bluetooth, orally writing his doctoral dissertation on advanced particle physics, skipping, and balancing the football on his pickle.

Still overrated

ChiefaRoo
04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Cam Thomas is The New Obama. Everyone wants him, know one knows why.

CarlPeterson_fan
04-26-2010, 08:27 PM
I like it

Hammock Parties
04-26-2010, 08:33 PM
I hadn't even looked at the stats.

We took a receiver who scored 7 career TDs over one with 26....

And Tate played in 31 games vs 36 for McCluster.

:facepalm:

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2010, 08:38 PM

JFC, how many times does this need to be said?

He was moved to RB so that he could touch the bar far more often than at WR.

He had 15 TD's total last year for Ole Miss, which is a far different team than Notre Dame.

Clausen went in the 2nd round and Snead wasn't even drafted.

ChiefaRoo
04-26-2010, 09:07 PM

I'm just trying to kill this thread by getting it moved to DC :)

Let it go..........

Chiefshrink
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL How true!!

Ralphy Boy
04-26-2010, 11:36 PM

Yeah except I'm pretty sure that I am the one that first mentioned Cam.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Yeah except I'm pretty sure that I am the one that first mentioned Cam.

Then you haven't been paying attention to the other 1.24 million posts in the past few months.

The level of butthurt is at an all-time high because the Chiefs traded up to get Moeaki, thus making it improbable they'd get him.

It's the most fucking ridiculous thing I've EVER seen in 11 years on Chiefsplanet.

Cam for DROY!

LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2010, 01:01 AM
I can't imagine the sand in the vagina of the person that felt the need to write a 2,500 word expose of why they preferred their mock draft to the Chiefs actual draft.

LMAO

JFC.

Dane,

What did you just do over the last 12 months?

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Dane,

What did you just do over the last 12 months?

I complained that the Chiefs took a fucking 5-tech at #3 instead of a true NFL playmaker.

I complained that the Chief took a broken LB and 7th round QB with the second pick

I complained that the Chiefs took another 5 tech in the third round.

I complained that the Chief took a fucking CB, one year after selecting solid, young starters in Carr and Flowers.

From where I sit, that is ENORMOUSLY different than taking the best safety in the draft, a playmaker that can score from any skill position on the field, a playmaking CB that's also the best returner in all of college football and a TE with the potential to be special.

That's a FAR cry from 2009.

If you don't agree, so be it. But I, for one, am not going to shit on this draft in April 2010 until the rest of the 2010 squad is assembled.

The NFL is ALL about playmakers and not about guys like 5th rounder Cam Thomas.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2010, 01:12 AM
To be honest, I'm taken aback by the shift that you've co-opted over the last three days.

You've gone from supporting those who are critical of the regime to labeling anyone who is critical as "butthurt" or the same, tired "whiners".

Ultimately, whether or not you support what Pioli and co. has done is your prerogative, and should be done on an individual basis irrespective of how anyone else feels. Your critical thinking should lead you to the evaluation of them. I, for example, have no problem that you are a fan of their draft. However, for you to be derided for criticizing them, and you have at great length over the last year, and then to instantly shift to doing the same thing to others, is not just a little bit contradictory.

It's astoundingly hypocritical, and moral relativism at its worst.

Hootie
04-27-2010, 01:18 AM
did Dane hurt your feeeewings?!?!? Awww...

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2010, 01:20 AM
did Dane hurt your feeeewings?!?!? Awww...

None whatsoever. Although it's nice to see you're still following me around and mentioning me in every post like a puppy.

Hootie
04-27-2010, 01:20 AM
Hamas...

as soon as you took Mark Sanchez in the mock draft last year I knew it would never end...

No matter what happens from here on out...you are actively cheering against the Chiefs because it means more for you to be right then for the Chiefs to be successful...

You are now Mecca...

Congratulations.

Hootie
04-27-2010, 01:21 AM
There are constants in every thread...

You're a constant...you're going to get mentioned...get over it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Hamas...

as soon as you took Mark Sanchez in the mock draft last year I knew it would never end...

No matter what happens from here on out...you are actively cheering against the Chiefs because it means more for you to be right then for the Chiefs to be successful...

You are now Mecca...

Congratulations.

I'll be sure to let the Chiefs know this when I make my next season ticket payment.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2010, 01:24 AM
There are constants in every thread...

You're a constant...you're going to get mentioned...get over it.

Funny, I didn't have a single post in that John Henderson thread.

I wasn't around on Saturday morning of the draft.

I wasn't participating in the "Front 7 thread" for hours.

And yet there you were, bringing me up at every possible junction.

You are a classical case of projection. You claim that others take this shit personally, but you are so obsessed with me, and you take what I say so personally that you cannot refrain from quoting me, making specious allegations about me, or talking about me for more than five minutes, which given your gnat-like attention span, is all the more astounding and troubling.

Hootie
04-27-2010, 01:25 AM
you might want to think about a restraining order...

Seriously.

Mecca
04-27-2010, 01:30 AM
The sad thing about the trade for Moeaki was that Anthony McCoy is a better fit for the offense and wouldn't have required a move.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2010, 01:37 AM
To be honest, I'm taken aback by the shift that you've co-opted over the last three days.

You've gone from supporting those who are critical of the regime to labeling anyone who is critical as "butthurt" or the same, tired "whiners".

Ultimately, whether or not you support what Pioli and co. has done is your prerogative, and should be done on an individual basis irrespective of how anyone else feels. Your critical thinking should lead you to the evaluation of them. I, for example, have no problem that you are a fan of their draft. However, for you to be derided for criticizing them, and you have at great length over the last year, and then to instantly shift to doing the same thing to others, is not just a little bit contradictory.

No.

What I've come to realize, like an epiphany, is that the Chiefs front office, Scott Pioli, will do whatever it takes to build a team in his image.

I'm pretty much at peace with that now, regardless of the outcome.

I've watched this franchise flounder for 40 years. I've watched great players come and go without a playoff win. I"ve watched good coaches and good personnel people cast aside.

There's a lot of history associated with this franchise, and most of it not good.

I'd rail against their picks if I didn't think that one or two years down the line, they'd have no impact. But I think the opposite is true. Instead of "standing pat" and taking whoever fell to them, I'm glad they showed the balls to trade up and get their guy, at the possible expense of Cam Thomas.

I'm happy that they went balls to the wall with offensive playmakers, regardless of Walter or OTWP or anybody else's "value" chart.

The bottom line is that I want them to fucking WIN and win consistently for years. And in doing so, I'm not trying to alienate you or anyone else along the way.

There are different ways to build a football team. And this year, Pioli proved he's not the guy "we" thought he was because he took Berry. If anything, he proved he was not the guy we all thought him to be in 2009.

If the Chiefs had taken Kindle or Cody, big fucking deal. They'd have a fucking Texas player at LB and a fatass at NT, neither of which were "Sure Things". Instead, they took guys that could score from anywhere on the field. Personally, I think that's FAR more important than taking the other guys.

Moving up to grab Moeaki was a ballsy move that may or may not payoff. But, they can't sit around and say "Well, if we take Moeaki, we may miss out on XXX 80 picks down the road". Fuck that. Take YOUR guy and move on.

It seems to me that this draft is universally loved by everyone but a few. Time will tell who's right or wrong but as I said earlier, I'm not going to get bent just the because the Chiefs didn't take who I thought they should take on 4/23/2010.

Oh and as for Ralphie, I think he's the biggest crybaby since Trent Green. Sac didn't even put up this much fuss.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2010, 01:38 AM
The sad thing about the trade for Moeaki was that Anthony McCoy is a better fit for the offense and wouldn't have required a move.

Yeah, I'm sure he would have fit in with the team captains as soon as he said "Hey dude, I've got some medical!".

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Dane, it's not about whether or not you agree with their decisions, it's the fact that you are chastising people for putting forth their concerns and marginalizing them just as you had been over the last year.

Mecca
04-27-2010, 01:46 AM
You know the Patriots drafted a guy who's failed multiple tests right?

I think there are some things to flag a guy for and it obviously cost him some rounds but damn that's a bit much, not everyone on the team has to be a captain.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Dane, it's not about whether or not you agree with their decisions, it's the fact that you are chastising people for putting forth their concerns and marginalizing them just as you had been over the last year.

Actually, I've been busting Ralphy's balls since January.

It's no different today.

And as for the Cam Thomas schtick, I think it's hilarious that people can become so focused on one player that it consumes their thinking throughout the entire draft.

OTWP contradicted himself (which I need to find) in which he disagreed with me concerning the paralyzation that can take place if you take a player with a trade up, which can result in missing on a player later in the draft. But later, he said that thinking like that is wrong.

All I'm pointing out is that the player worship, in this case Cam Thomas, is completely unwarranted and out of control. We're not talking top ten talent. We're not even talking top one hundred talent.

We're talking about a fifth rounder and criticizing the GM because he "lost out" by trading for HIS guy.

That's silly.

And complaining that your GM took playmakers yet didn't take YOUR GUY is tenuous at best and laughable at worst.

I apologize if my attitude and viewpoint offends you.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2010, 01:58 AM
You know the Patriots drafted a guy who's failed multiple tests right?

I think there are some things to flag a guy for and it obviously cost him some rounds but damn that's a bit much, not everyone on the team has to be a captain.

If you think the Patriots = the Chiefs, then every post you've made in the past 6 years is now and forthwith, invalidated.

Fritz88
04-27-2010, 04:05 AM

Fucking Irony. Dane has only started wounding anti-draft vaginas recently after he exhausted every single logical argument to support his stance. I may not agree with everything he said, but for you to chastise him for calling others is hysterical.

I'll be honest and say that I have immensely enjoyed the back and forth discussions between you and Dane but this post you have just made switched the entire debate from issues of this draft to criticizing why you or him is saying this or that.

Sofa King is a male whore.

Pioli Zombie
04-27-2010, 04:09 AM
They weren't going to take Clausen. They didn't want Clausen. They were NEVER going to take Clausen. Get the fuck over it!!!!!!

Pioli Zombie
04-27-2010, 04:19 AM

Did you actually bring up the word moral? Its fucking football. Hyperbole much?

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2010, 04:43 AM
They weren't going to take Clausen. They didn't want Clausen. They were NEVER going to take Clausen. Get the fuck over it!!!!!!

The thing I can't get over is that Pioli doesn't have a back up plan when Cassel fails, and since they don't they don't believe in Croyle we're fucked. Pioli, is going to either live or die by Cassel's ability, because he is too stubborn to realize that it's possible that Cassel isn't "the guy".

Messier
04-27-2010, 05:53 AM

In the 1994 the wr with the most catches entering the draft was Chris Penn. Best pick ever!

Messier
04-27-2010, 05:56 AM

Hmm, I'm intrigued by this McCoy, what college did he play for?

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2010, 08:32 AM

It's no different today.

And as for the Cam Thomas schtick, I think it's hilarious that people can become so focused on one player that it consumes their thinking throughout the entire draft.

OTWP contradicted himself (which I need to find) in which he disagreed with me concerning the paralyzation that can take place if you take a player with a trade up, which can result in missing on a player later in the draft. But later, he said that thinking like that is wrong.

All I'm pointing out is that the player worship, in this case Cam Thomas, is completely unwarranted and out of control. We're not talking top ten talent. We're not even talking top one hundred talent.

We're talking about a fifth rounder and criticizing the GM because he "lost out" by trading for HIS guy.

That's silly.

And complaining that your GM took playmakers yet didn't take YOUR GUY is tenuous at best and laughable at worst.

I hope you find the quote, because I'm not sure what you're talking about.

ModSocks
04-27-2010, 01:42 PM
This whole value chart deal is wrong. The mock drafts were wrong, and apparently, the skill level of the players that the Mike Mayocks of the world evaluated are all wrong. Apparently, according to teams like the Eagles, the McCluster pick is not a reach like we initially thought it was. But, Cam Thomas at 2a, or even Cody at 2a would've been a HUGE reach. We were all wrong. Some people need to just accept that.

This draft proved that we knew nothing, so arguing that there was better value is pretty stupid. Some people rattled off that the Moeaki pick was a bad pick. Judging by the way this draft went, how the **** could anyone know that? Those TE's that are supposedly better NFL prospects, didn't go very high, did they? So in the eyes of pro scouts, there wasn't much of a skill drop off if any.

In hindsight, the Chiefs upgraded the team. They went out and drafted potential stars; guys who make a difference. Guys who have to be accounted for, which we all agreed this team was lacking. Well...we got em. So now what is there to bitch about?

Surely you can't argue value, considering how the chips fell in this draft, we weren't the only team to pass on such "valuable" players like, admittedly, one who I lobbied for, Cam Thomas.

CarlPeterson_fan
04-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Mecca, Hamas, would you pm me your phone numbers? Just as soon as I get hired to run another NFL franchise, I want you two to head up my scouting department. We can build a great team with your extensive knowledge. We might have 53 QB's, but hey, lets roll with it.

KCrockaholic
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Hmm, I'm intrigued by this McCoy, what college did he play for?

"Why, USC of course! Because every player from USC is perfect and fits anything because I like them." :rolleyes: Mays! Williams! Sanchize!

Fish
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
This whole value chart deal is wrong. The mock drafts were wrong, and apparently, the skill level of the players that the Mike Mayocks of the world evaluated are all wrong. Apparently, according to teams like the Eagles, the McCluster pick is not a reach like we initially thought it was. But, Cam Thomas at 2a, or even Cody at 2a would've been a HUGE reach. We were all wrong. Some people need to just accept that.

This draft proved that we knew nothing, so arguing that there was better value is pretty stupid. Some people rattled off that the Moeaki pick was a bad pick. Judging by the way this draft went, how the **** could anyone know that? Those TE's that are supposedly better NFL prospects, didn't go very high, did they? So in the eyes of pro scouts, there wasn't much of a skill drop off if any.

In hindsight, the Chiefs upgraded the team. They went out and drafted potential stars; guys who make a difference. Guys who have to be accounted for, which we all agreed this team was lacking. Well...we got em. So now what is there to bitch about?

Surely you can't argue value, considering how the chips fell in this draft, we weren't the only team to pass on such "valuable" players like, admittedly, one who I lobbied for, Cam Thomas.

One important factor, that I feel gives reason to bitch, is that the guys picked in the 2nd round don't project to be full time starters. And it's still very questionable whether McCluster could handle the beating of being a full time starter with his size anyway. I know they've got talent. I'm confident that they can contribute, but I worry that a NT or LB would have been able to contribute more by being on the field a much higher percentage of the time.

Maybe their playmaking ability makes up for that. That's my hope at the moment.

Ralphy Boy
04-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Oh and as for Ralphie, I think he's the biggest crybaby since Trent Green. Sac didn't even put up this much fuss.

That's very laughable considering the source. I don't think saying that I didn't like those picks makes me a crybaby.

It's no different today.

That's silly.

First of all, I barely mentioned Cam Thomas in the OP. I listed him in my mock at 5c simply because I would have taken him there. I didn't go on about him in writing and I didn't suggest, after the draft, that we should have taken him in the 2nd. Yet one of you idiots said that the hysteria surrounding him was laughable. I simply pointed out that, if I recalled correctly, I was the guy who first mentioned him on here in the thread I created called The case for Cam Thomas & Sean Weatherspoon (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223235&highlight=case+thomas+sean+weatherspoon). I lobbied for Thomas for a few months and incorrectly projected him as a 2nd rounder, so I think its natural to say that I would, given how it went down, take him at 5c. To not take him in the 5th wouldn't make a whole lot of sense as I had him in just about every mock draft as a 2nd rounder.

The thing I can't get over is that Pioli doesn't have a back up plan when Cassel fails, and since they don't they don't believe in Croyle we're ****ed. Pioli, is going to either live or die by Cassel's ability, because he is too stubborn to realize that it's possible that Cassel isn't "the guy".

This is my issue with McCluster. They will forever be linked in my mind because we passed on one for the other. Basically the hope in KC now is that McCluster, Cassel & Arenas will be better than Clausen & Tate. I have my doubts.

You don't know that the Eagles were going to take McCluster. Again and as I said in the OP, I think it was BS. Everyone, in advance of the draft and prior to the pick, thought the Eagles were going to and had moved up to take Earl Thomas. They didn't, they took Graham even though they had & have had a huge need at safety since Dawkins left. Everyone was shocked by it and in the 2nd they took Nate Allen, who is an awesome safety.

Regarding Moeaki, his situation could have been just like Tebow's. Maybe Indy was going to take him and maybe they weren't. Many of us laugh at the Tebow pick and maybe if Denver hadn't taken him, he'd have fallen to the 2nd round. We simply don't know. Teams do not really know any better than the rest of us how another team is going to draft. Oh and the reason we know the pick sucked is because he only played in 21 games over 3 years and his stats were very pedestrian. It was a HUGE reach.

Fact is, regarding the draft as a whole, I hope they were right and these players prove to be studs. Time will tell but there are several players that I will be following in the coming years to see if I was right about them or not.

Players out of this draft that I was high on may turn out to suck and they may be great. I have no problem being called out on them if they suck.

I said this (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6664372&postcount=26) back on 4/10/10:

Notes on the upside of certain players:
This is all for not if they go to the wrong team. I'm projecting best case.
JPP is a freak and if he goes to the right team, he could end up being the best player out of this draft, but he's dumber than a bag of hammers.
McClain will make more than a few Pro-Bowls
Mays is also a freak and if he goes to a great veteran defensive team, like
Baltimore or San Fran, he'll be better than every other safety.
Earl Thomas will be slightly better than average in the pros.
Trent Williams is better than any o-linemen in this draft or last year.
Spiller will be a better pro than AP & Chris Johnson.
3 years from now, passing on Clausen will look like a tremendous error for the Chiefs. He's a much better prospect than Sanchez was last year.
Carlos Dunlap would have been #21 on my list. I think his light will come on once he gets to the big leagues and he'll be outstanding in a few years.
Nate Allen, FS out of South Florida will be a 2nd round stud.

ModSocks
04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
One important factor, that I feel gives reason to bitch, is that the guys picked in the 2nd round don't project to be full time starters. And it's still very questionable whether McCluster could handle the beating of being a full time starter with his size anyway. I know they've got talent. I'm confident that they can contribute, but I worry that a NT or LB would have been able to contribute more by being on the field a much higher percentage of the time.

Maybe their playmaking ability makes up for that. That's my hope at the moment.

Very valid point. Lets hope for the best.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Apparently, according to teams like the Eagles, the McCluster pick is not a reach like we initially thought it was.

Apparently, according to teams like the Cowboys, who had a picture of their board leak, he was a reach.

They had him graded as a 3rd rounder and Arenas as a 4th.

Just because there's a rumor floating around that Philly MIGHT have taken him doesn't make him worth the pick.

Should a team ahead of Oakland last year taken Mike Mitchell, just because they thought the Raiders were going to?

A reach is a reach.

And as soon as someone can show me even ONE link to a respected analyst that shows him as a Top 40 talent, I'll re-consider.

Highest I've seen is 55.

Mecca
04-27-2010, 06:51 PM
I just love when the argument turns to how a guy played for USC :facepalm:

craneref
04-27-2010, 08:06 PM
How high was Tom Brady rated again? Let's face it, this is all basede on who the so called professionals think will be a good pro and help their team. Plenty of top of the draft busts and plenty of late round gems, to add with plenty of mid-round steals. I too was a bit perplexed by the 2nd round picks, but I am going to wait and see on the pick. A couple of years ago the Vikings took Peterson with no apparent need and that worked out.

milkman
04-28-2010, 06:39 AM

But we do know the difference between "know" and "no".

Chris Meck
04-28-2010, 01:11 PM
rofl

BossChief
04-30-2010, 03:13 AM
LOL

Apparently, only in YOUR world.

He WAS taken like, what, almost three rounds later?

Shit, if his college coach didn't draft him he would have slipped farther down the line. Maybe even went undrafted. Shit no way to know now.

I admit I'm a Iowa homer, but at least my evaluations of players fits pretty close to where they actually went in the draft. I even underestimated where Angerer went.

Here is what was your stance on your USC guys.

"Damian Williams is a first rounder" - mid third rounder
"Anthony McCoy might be the Chiefs second rounder" - mid 6th rounder
"The Chiefs might be looking at Charles Brown as their first rounder" - went with the last pick of the second round
"Taylor Mays bandwagod" - mid second rounder -

Did I miss anyone this year?

You cant keep acting like your opinion is better than everyone elses and claim not to be a USC homer and then make claims that turn out to be FAR from reality and expect not to get some shit for it.

Fritz88
04-30-2010, 05:33 AM
LOL

Apparently, only in YOUR world.

He WAS taken like, what, almost three rounds later?

Shit, if his college coach didn't draft him he would have slipped farther down the line. Maybe even went undrafted. Shit no way to know now.

I admit I'm a Iowa homer, but at least my evaluations of players fits pretty close to where they actually went in the draft. I even underestimated where Angerer went.

Here is what was your stance on your USC guys.

"Damian Williams is a first rounder" - mid third rounder
"Anthony McCoy might be the Chiefs second rounder" - mid 6th rounder
"The Chiefs might be looking at Charles Brown as their first rounder" - went with the last pick of the second round
"Taylor Mays bandwagod" - mid second rounder -

Did I miss anyone this year?

You cant keep acting like your opinion is better than everyone elses and claim not to be a USC homer and then make claims that turn out to be FAR from reality and expect not to get some shit for it.

I just love it when (NFL related factoid ) /mecca

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Hmm..."Things I Have No Fucking Clue About" for $500, Alex?

Mecca, Hamas, would you pm me your phone numbers? Just as soon as I get hired to run another NFL franchise, I want you two to head up my scouting department. We can build a great team with your extensive knowledge. We might have 53 QB's, but hey, lets roll with it.

You wouldn't know jack shit about a Quarterback, oh Ass of Hat.