PDA

View Full Version : News Is New York cursed?

Msmith
04-27-2010, 07:40 AM
NEW YORK – The homeless man lay face down, unmoving, on the sidewalk outside an apartment building, blood from knife wounds pooling underneath his body.

One person passed by in the early morning. Then another, and another. Video footage from a surveillance camera shows at least seven people going by, some turning their heads to look, others stopping to gawk. One even lifted the homeless man's body, exposing what appeared to be blood on the sidewalk underneath him, before walking away.

It wasn't until after the 31-year-old Guatemalan immigrant had been lying there for nearly an hour that emergency workers arrived, and by then, it was too late. Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax — who police said was stabbed while intervening to help a woman being attacked — had died.

"I think it's horrific," said Marla Cohan, who teaches at P.S. 82, a school across the street from where Tale-Yax died. "I think people are just afraid to step in; they don't want to get involved; who knows what their reasons are?"

Tale-Yax was walking behind a man and a woman on 144th Street in the Jamaica section of Queens around 6 a.m. April 18 when the couple got into a fight that became physical, according to police, who pieced together what happened from surveillance footage and interviews with area residents.

Tale-Yax was stabbed several times when he intervened to help the woman, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said. She and the other man fled in different directions, and Tale-Yax pursued the man before collapsing. Authorities are searching for the man and woman.

A 911 call of a woman screaming came in around 6 a.m., but when officers responded to the address that was given, no one was there, police said. Another call came in around 7 a.m., saying a man was lying on the street, but gave the wrong address. Finally, around 7:20 a.m., someone called 911 to report a man had possibly been stabbed at 144th Street and 88th Road.

Police and firefighters arrived a few minutes later to find Tale-Yax dead. Officials say they're not sure whether the man was still alive when passers-by opted not to help him.

Residents who regularly pass by the same stretch of sidewalk, in a working-class neighborhood of low-rise apartment buildings and fast food restaurants near a busy boulevard, were unnerved by the way Tale-Yax died.

"Is anybody human anymore?" asked Raechelle Groce, visiting her grandmother at a nearby building on Monday. "What's wrong with humanity?"

In the urban environment, it's not unusual to see people on the street, sleeping or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

But even assuming the person they've just passed is drunk, instead of injured, is no reason not to notify authorities, said Seth Herman, another teacher at the school. He remembered calling an ambulance when seeing a man who appeared to be homeless on the street, with a beer bottle near by.

He called 911, he said, because "I felt it wasn't my job to figure out if the person was drunk or actually hurt."

Groce agreed.

"I just think that's horrible, whether you're homeless or not," she said. "He's a human being; he needs help."

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_dying_and_ignored)

In the 1960, there was a story about a young woman who being knifed and called for help under the stairs of an apartment and nobody came forward to offer any assistance. She died just like this homeless man.

DMAC
04-27-2010, 07:54 AM
I almost just read that and moved on...

But no, dammit...I'm gonna post something!

MOhillbilly
04-27-2010, 07:55 AM
New York's alright if you like drunks in your doorway!
New York's alright if you wanna freeze to death!
New York's alright if you wanna get mugged or murdered!
New York's alright if you like saxophones!

RaiderH8r
04-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Kitty Genovese.

bowener
04-27-2010, 08:25 AM
This is jsut one among many similar instances of this type of action, or inaction. Sad.

Simply Red
04-27-2010, 08:32 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/qqeidc.gif

Msmith, there's something to you. i'm not sure what, something odd, these threads, so. odd.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I read this story in the New York Times over the weekend. Pretty sad that this man's final act was one of brevity for a complete stranger, only to lay in a pool of his own blood and bleed out while dozens, nay, hundreds of strangers stepped right over him without calling for help.

Msmith
04-27-2010, 08:35 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/qqeidc.gif

Msmith, there's something to you. i'm not sure what, something odd, these threads, so. odd.

LOL! You don't think I am an alt of GoChiefs, do you?

MOhillbilly
04-27-2010, 08:39 AM
I read this story in the New York Times over the weekend. Pretty sad that this man's final act was one of brevity for a complete stranger, only to lay in a pool of his own blood and bleed out while dozens, nay, hundreds of strangers stepped right over him without calling for help.

Nay? Brevity? Thanks for the time warp bro. goin to polish my armor for the big joust next sunday.

Fare the well bitches.

Bob Dole
04-27-2010, 08:44 AM
"I think it's horrific," said Marla Cohan, who teaches at P.S. 82, a school across the street from where Tale-Yax died. "I think people are just afraid to step in; they don't want to get involved; who knows what their reasons are?"

Um...because you get STABBED for your efforts?

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Nay? Brevity? Thanks for the time warp bro. goin to polish my armor for the big joust next sunday.

Fare the well bitches.

LMAO

Rooster
04-27-2010, 08:47 AM
We had something similiar last year in Wichita. Someone was shot laying in the floor of a convienant store and people were stepping over them and taking pictures with their phones. Unless they know all the facts many people will not get involved. That's just the way it is.

Simply Red
04-27-2010, 08:47 AM
LOL! You don't think I am an alt of GoChiefs, do you?

no, not at all. I think you're you. I like the topics usually. They just seem sort of odd. That's okay, too.

Frazod
04-27-2010, 09:06 AM
It's easy to judge the passersby in this case, but until you've lived in a shithole urban neighborhood like this, you really don't understand. If you come across somebody lying on the sidewalk, chances are it's some passed out, piss-reeking vagrant addict who'll freak out and attack you if try to touch him. I've walked past my share of people laying on sidewalks or in alleys - I guess one or two of them might have been mortally wounded heroes, but chances are they were probably just dirtbags sleeping it off.

Cities are ugly places, and life is cheap. If you don't like it, move somewhere else.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2010, 09:10 AM
It's easy to judge the passersby in this case, but until you've lived in a shithole urban neighborhood like this, you really don't understand. If you come across somebody lying on the sidewalk, chances are it's some passed out, piss-reeking vagrant addict who'll freak out and attack you if try to touch him. I've walked past my share of people laying on sidewalks or in alleys - I guess one or two of them might have been mortally wounded heroes, but chances are they were probably just dirtbags sleeping it off.

Cities are ugly places, and life is cheap. If you don't like it, move somewhere else.

Agreed...i cant speak for the neighborhood, story says its in Queens somewhere....but ill guess its not very nice?

Its not like this happened in the middle of Times Square.

DMAC
04-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Any knight would do the same thing. He died in honor.

http://film.com.tr/resim/filmler/fisherking/resim004.jpg

Old Dog
04-27-2010, 09:19 AM

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there.....yet another reason I wouldn't live in a major city if you gave me the whole damned place.

Frazod
04-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Many years ago, long before the advent of cellphones, I was driving alone through West Virginia in the middle of the night on an isolated stretch of US Highway 60 east of Charleston. It was a dark, starless, moonless night, and the only light was coming from my headlights. I noticed a body lying by the side of road. Just looked like some guy sleeping. I slowed down, and he didn't react or move. Now, I thought about stopping, but then it occurred to me, I'm out in the middle of bumblefuck West Virginia, unarmed, there's not a car or house in sight, in the middle of the night, and who knows if this guy's just waiting for some chump to stop so he can attack him? Who knows if there are other people hiding in the brush? Well, fuck that. I kept going - no late night Deliverance bango nightmares for me, thank you very much. I did call the police when I got to the next inhabited town and report it, but that was the extent of my civic involvement that evening.

I hope it wasn't some poor traveler who died because I didn't stop and help, but if it was, oh well.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2010, 09:30 AM

That's a damn good point. I've went by the same thing in downtown Seattle. If you don't see the blood there is no way of knowing. It's still incredibly tragic though.

The Franchise
04-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Many years ago, long before the advent of cellphones, I was driving alone through West Virginia in the middle of the night on an isolated stretch of US Highway 60 east of Charleston. It was a dark, starless, moonless night, and the only light was coming from my headlights. I noticed a body lying by the side of road. Just looked like some guy sleeping. I slowed down, and he didn't react or move. Now, I thought about stopping, but then it occurred to me, I'm out in the middle of bumblefuck West Virginia, unarmed, there's not a car or house in sight, in the middle of the night, and who knows if this guy's just waiting for some chump to stop so he can attack him? Who knows if there are other people hiding in the brush? Well, fuck that. I kept going - no late night Deliverance bango nightmares for me, thank you very much. I did call the police when I got to the next inhabited town and report it, but that was the extent of my civic involvement that evening.

I hope it wasn't some poor traveler who died because I didn't stop and help, but if it was, oh well.

You should have sat there for 10 minutes......holding down your horn.

Frazod
04-27-2010, 09:42 AM
You should have sat there for 10 minutes......holding down your horn.

Perhaps I should have veered off the road towards the body - that might have got his attention.

The Franchise
04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Perhaps I should have veered off the road towards the body - that might have got his attention.

Well if he was dead.....it wouldn't have been murder.

Bunit
04-27-2010, 10:43 AM
It aint cursed. But it is fucked up.

mikey23545
04-27-2010, 10:54 AM
[i]NEW YORK

"Is anybody human anymore?" asked Raechelle Groce, visiting her grandmother at a nearby building on Monday. "What's wrong with humanity?"

Indeed.

FAX
04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Personally, I'm very impressed with the homeless guy's brevity. Too bad it cut his life short.

FAX

boogblaster
04-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Prolly thought it was a Faider fan porkin' a crack in the sidewalk ...

Simply Red
04-27-2010, 11:25 AM
It's just strange. One day someone's walkin' around, goin' to work alive and then... people just disappear."

"The earth just opens up and swallows them."

"Eerie. Really eerie..."

Gonzo
04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Let the dude smack his ho around and don't get involved. Let this be a lesson to the rest of you.
My ho better have my dough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dayze
04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
you couldn't pay me enough to visit, or live in NY.

the wife always wants to go there for vacation. Pass.
i could think of 1000 other ways to spend a sh*t load of money on a vacation. Namely some place with a beach, clear waters, and friendly people.

Jenson71
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM

i could think of 1000 other ways to spend a sh*t load of money on a vacation. Namely some place with a beach, clear waters, and friendly people.

I loved being in New York. Plus, there's a beach on Coney Island (and some others). And the people are pretty friendly, in general.

There's some great things to see and do in NY. I'd go with the wife.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2010, 12:24 PM

I realize its always sunny and 75 in Overland Park, but theres a whole, great big world out there. you should step out sometime and see it.

Frazod
04-27-2010, 12:26 PM

I don't mind New York - I've been there several times. Granted, I absolutely would not live there, but it's a fun place to visit. It's not like tourists go to the areas where shit like the events in this story happen. Lots to see and do - lots of history. For me, the coolest thing I saw was the USS Intrepid, which is now a floating museum with a lots of old war planes on it. I've been to Central Park, old Yankee Stadium, Coney Island, ridden the Ferry, etc. Don't regret any of it.

My last company had an office in Midtown Manhattan and I got sent there a couple of times for work. Got to stay at the Waldorf on the company dime. That was awesome.