PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Fred Hoiberg New ISU Mens BB Coach

Brianfo
04-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Per 1460 KXNO out of Des Moines. If repost, bite me.

Saulbadguy
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
LOL

kstater
04-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Heh, Doc's got a chance to not finish last.

Demonpenz
04-27-2010, 05:03 PM
the mayor

vailpass
04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Cool.
Will they start calling the gym 'City Hall'?

RustShack
04-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Fuck Yes !

kstater
04-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Fuck Yes !ROFL

RustShack
04-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Call up the NCAA, they need to reserve a spot for Iowa State at the tournament this year!

vailpass
04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Call up the NCAA, they need to reserve a spot for Iowa State at the tournament this year!

Ames boys High School team might have made a run at an at-large bid this year.

Spott
04-27-2010, 05:15 PM

They're not expanding the tournament to 128 anytime soon.

Frankie
04-27-2010, 05:28 PM
If I wanted an ex Cyclone to coach ISU it would have been Hornacek. I'd be excited about that. Hoiberg? meh, I hope he pans out.

WilliamTheIrish
04-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Oh man. I lost track of Freddie after he retired and had open heart surgery.

booger
04-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Risky. No coaching experience but will rally the fans and sell tickets. They just hired former Johnny Orr recruit and probably the best player ever at ames and later an NBA player too in Jeff Grayer. His only coaching experience was in the CBA as their inaugaral HC.http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46661&SPID=4252&ATCLID=204934788&DB_OEM_ID=10700

He might be a better fit for director of bball operations with Hoiberg already having no experience.

T.J. Otzelberger is their best recruiter on staff getting Diante Garrett, Craig Brackins, and Marquis Gilstrap. Rumor on the message boards is he is staying and no word on Grayer. Also they just hired on Friday former Iowa Energy NBADL HC Nick Nurse who they would allow him to return and get his job back ( according to the IA Energy President with the news of McDermott) or he could head to Creighton as he and McD were college teamates.

For this to have a chance Fred would have to hire a couple of good experienced assistants.

With his front office experience with the Timberwolves and obvious popularity in Ames i wouldn't be suprised if this hire was made over the AD Pollard and Hoiberg could take over as AD in a year or two. Just throwing that out of nowhere but i don't think it's that far fetched.

RustShack
04-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Pollard isn't going anywhere.

booger
04-27-2010, 06:27 PM

Now? no i agree. a year or two and if this hire doesn't go well(Hoiberg) it wouldn't suprise me. Depends on the economy and his buyout what it would cost. McD did them a huge favor not only leaving but Creighton paying the 800k buyout. The money left on his contract was IMO the only reason they couldn't fire him justifying that 2-3 Mill or more it would have cost to fire McD in this economy wasn't an option. He and Creighton did them a huge favor.

Bill Fennelly the WBball coach stays when he could leave at any time. I don't give Pollard credit for that. He did keep the Vball coach which was a great job keeping her. He lost Cale as Wrestling coach but it was to Penn St and impossible to keep him. He screwed up big time with the ChizDick hire though. He went out and got the hot asst and a rock star hire that pumped up the fans and boosters big time. And i don't blame ChizDick for leaving either. Who wouldn't for Auburn? I blame him for hiring a first class Prick in Chizdick though. Turned off everyone with a they, players and all would have to raise to his level and he wouldn't come down to theirs. Total douche from the begginning and was a major pussy about the cold weather being from Florida and coaching in that state plus texas and auburn. Big time pussy in his last year when he told some of the OK state staff he missed texas and the winning and wanted to quit even if it meant being a DC and not a HC. That's embarrassing for someone that prides himself on being the son of a Marine. I don't blame him for leaving for Auburn. He is a real piece of dog shit and a goat f#cker as a person though. Pollard should have caught on to that somewhat. He could have Hired Rhoads then and is lucky he got him the second time around.

Pollard has made some good moves and seems like a good guy i just wouldn't be sad to see him go.

Brianfo
04-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Probably not this year, but he has burned a lot of bridges with the ISU faithful. Ran McCarney out of town for cheesedick, let the greatest college wrestler ever leave for Penn St. and don't forget he forced Wayne Morgan out for McDermott. This hire better work it or it could be the beginning of the end for Pollard. His rah rah crap and constantly asking for donations is stale.

ChiefMojo
04-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I fear this isn't going to end well.

Frankie
04-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Probably not this year, but he has burned a lot of bridges with the ISU faithful. Ran McCarney out of town for cheesedick, let the greatest college wrestler ever leave for Penn St. and don't forget he forced Wayne Morgan out for McDermott. This hire better work it or it could be the beginning of the end for Pollard. His rah rah crap and constantly asking for donations is stale.

McCarney had taken ISU as far as he was EVER gonna take them. I wasn't a big fan.

Brianfo
04-27-2010, 07:46 PM
McCarney had taken ISU as far as he was EVER gonna take them. I wasn't a big fan.

News flash, ISU isn't going to be playing for a national championship anytime soon. Occasionally playing for a chance at the Big 12 title is as good as it's going to get. McCarney was an ambassador for ISU and I still consider him the best coach to come thru our program. That program was an absolute abortion when he took over. If he would have had a &*@#ing kicker ever he would have played for the Big 12 title in consecutive seasons.

ArrowheadHawk
04-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Who?

RustShack
04-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Pollard has done a lot for Iowa States athletics... their budget is 50% higher than what it was before him. This is another coach that loves Iowa State and wants to be here like Paul Rhoads.

RealSNR
04-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Who?
Played for the Pacers, Bulls, and Timberwolves

Archie Bunker
04-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Was Julius Michalik unavailable?
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
04-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Who?

Seriously?

Shag
04-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Interesting choice. Freddie was great on the court, but with no coaching experience, definitely an interesting hire. Seems to be a PR move, but I hope it produces results...

KChiefs1
04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
WOW!

The Mayor?

Has ISU fallen that far?

RustShack
04-27-2010, 10:53 PM
WOW!

The Mayor?

Has ISU fallen that far?

You mean risen that high?

RustShack
04-27-2010, 10:53 PM
At least he played BBall! Coach Todd Haley didn't!

teedubya
04-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Fred Hoiberg. The Original Tebow.... er... the Iowa Tebow.

BWillie
04-27-2010, 11:27 PM
So is Marcus Fizer or Jake Sullivan going to be assistant coaches?

HemiEd
04-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Who?

I think he is an anchor on channel 10 news in Wichita, does a special about "Hoiburg's people."

teedubya
04-28-2010, 12:30 AM
I want to see the original American Gladiators with Tebow and Hoiberg as the contestants.

Frankie
05-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Yesterday I read Clyde Drexler's advice to Hoiberg about how to use his NBA experience for successful recruiting. The same article went on to say that he also tried headcoaching his alma-mater after retiring from the NBA and was fired after two losing seasons. YIKES!!!

Does anybody know anything about any case where a similar scenario has worked out? I'm a long suffering Cyclone fan. Cheer me up please.

Saulbadguy
05-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Yesterday I read Clyde Drexler's advice to Hoiberg about how to use his NBA experience for successful recruiting. The same article went on to say that he also tried headcoaching his alma-mater after retiring from the NBA and was fired after two losing seasons. YIKES!!!

Does anybody know anything about any case where a similar scenario has worked out? I'm a long suffering Cyclone fan. Cheer me up please.

Nope. Sorry.

I'd say it was like when K-State retained Frank Martin, but Martin had a few years experience at the college level at that point, and had Michael Beasley coming with him.

Frankie
05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Nope. Sorry.

I'd say it was like when K-State retained Frank Martin, but Martin had a few years experience at the college level at that point, and had Michael Beasley coming with him.

I thought so.:( If ISU wanted to go this route I would have gone after Jeff Hornacek who was the true definition of an overachiever, had a successful NBA career, was from a coaching family, and was called by Johnny Orr "a coach on the floor" when he played for the Cyclones. I wonder if Pollard made ANY attempt in that direction.

Jethopper
05-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Pollard has done a lot for Iowa States athletics... their budget is 50% higher than what it was before him. This is another coach that loves Iowa State and wants to be here like Paul Rhoads.

Paul Rhoads is decent though...

ChiefMojo
05-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Frank Martin was different. He had plenty of High School coaching experience in Florida and of course D-1 assistant experience under Huggins. The only real knock Martin got was he didn't have any Major D-1 HC coaching experience (neither did Roy Williams, but he was the Freshman HC for UNC I guess) and many thought KSU needed someone with experience to continue what Huggins started. Martin has proved everyone wrong and is now very highly respected... even by Kansas fans.

The Mayor has extremely limited amount of coaching experience, if any.

Frankie
05-03-2010, 11:56 AM
The Mayor has extremely limited amount of coaching experience, if any.

None, to the best of my knowledge. I don't know him personally, but I don't think he had the edgy personality a couch needs either.

Saulbadguy
05-03-2010, 12:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5157777

AMES, Iowa -- Iowa State Cyclones reserve guard Charles Boozer was arrested over the weekend after a woman told police he slapped and kicked her.

Police commander Mike Brennan says Boozer was charged with simple assault, a misdemeanor, on Saturday in Ames. A complaint accuses Boozer of slapping the woman in the face, pushing her to the ground and kicking her in the side.

Police say the woman had red marks on her face and a scratch on her leg. Police say Boozer admitted arguing with the woman and pushing her. Boozer, a junior from Raleigh, N.C. who had season-ending surgery in January, posted a cash bond of $300 and was released.

Cyclones spokesman Mike Green says the school is gathering facts about the situation. Boozer, the younger brother of Utah Jazz star Carlos Boozer, did not immediately return a message Monday.

booger
05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Charles Boozer To Transfer

AMES, Iowa – Charles Boozer, a senior-to-be from Raleigh, N.C., has decided to forgo his final season at Iowa State to seek treatment, Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg confirmed today.

“I want to apologize for my actions that put Iowa State University in a negative light,” Boozer said. “I have decided that the best course action right now is to finish my semester and then seek treatment. Coach Hoiberg and I had a long talk last night and he agrees it would be in my best interest to seek my release from Iowa State and take care of some of the problems I have been dealing with. I want to thank Iowa State and the Ames Community for all the great support the last the three seasons. No matter what, I will always be a Cyclone.”

“After visiting with Charles last night, I feel that his decision to leave the program is in the best interest for both parties,” Hoiberg, who was hired last week, said. “Charles had a terrible lapse in judgment and I sincerely hope that he learns from his mistake and can land on his feet.”

Boozer, a 6-foot-3 guard from Raleigh, N.C., played in 54 career games. He saw action in 16 games last year before an ACL injury against Texas ended his season. Boozer scored a career-best 19 points in 25 minutes of a 73-71 victory over North Dakota State. His knee injury against the Longhorns occurred in the next game.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=204940418&DB_OEM_ID=10700

Saulbadguy
05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
How many players does that leave on ISU's roster?

booger
05-03-2010, 01:05 PM
http://www.cyclones.com/SportSelect.dbml?spid=4252&spsid=46664&db_oem_id=10700

roster

according to this, 7.

From checking out the fan sites like the free stuff from cyclone report and cyclone fanatic, they are 5 for 5 in keeping the incoming recruits. They like that Hoiberg will open up the offense and his NBA experience and ties. T.J. Otzelberger being named assoc. HC is a big reason recruits are staying on too. His last two hires for his staff will be a huge factor in his sucess or lack of IMO. He needs at least 1 former HC. Otzelberger is a young up rising coach that the kids seem to like alot. Well connected in recruiting circles and they are lucky he stayed. As a coach i don't really know. I know he tutored the big men in the past. Hoiberg is rumored to be interested in Ed Pinkney the former NBA big man as a player and asst coach.

He also keeps up with Tim Floyd and that will be a big resource in getting(hopefully) the right guy with HC experience on staff.

Fred's older brother is overseas and involved somehow in European BB. He will have ties in that way possibly. The NBA background will only help there. Can't count on that route though with the economy and players wanting to go earn money and less attracted to college ball. All about the right fit.

For next year i hope they hit the JC route pretty good. Gonna need it.

Frankie
05-03-2010, 01:53 PM
For next year i hope they hit the JC route pretty good. Gonna need it.

That should be the recourse of EVERY new HC. I don't know why more new HCs don't do this. McCartney almost was fired in his third year before he wised up to this.

booger
05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
That should be the recourse of EVERY new HC. I don't know why more new HCs don't do this. McCartney almost was fired in his third year before he wised up to this.

they have no choice with this situation. They hit the JC's well with Wayne Morgan as HC and Terry Carroll who was an asst on Eustachey's staff w/ morgan went on to U of Denver as HC and is now back somewhere in IA as a JC HC. Don't know where. That's one connection. They also did well with Indian Hills CC. I don't doubt they will take any help they can get wherever they can get it. They can't be choosy with a rookie HC with no coaching background.

Frankie
05-03-2010, 03:39 PM
they have no choice with this situation. They hit the JC's well with Wayne Morgan as HC and Terry Carroll who was an asst on Eustachey's staff w/ morgan went on to U of Denver as HC and is now back somewhere in IA as a JC HC. Don't know where. That's one connection. They also did well with Indian Hills CC. I don't doubt they will take any help they can get wherever they can get it. They can't be choosy with a rookie HC with no coaching background.

Do you think Pollard even tried to feel out Hornacek?

booger
05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Do you think Pollard even tried to feel out Hornacek?

I honestly don't know why he would even try in that direction. When the job opened up and he hired McDermott Pollard was ready to hire former Wisconsin and Marquette asst and current University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee HC Rob Jeter. Some rumors say he was the choice over McDermott but his buyout clause at UWM was pretty steap. Jeter and Pollard worked together at Wisconsin and Pollard loves former Bo Ryan assistants.

At that time The late Barry Stevens, former cyclone great and NBA player, CBA and NBADL HC expressed interest. Not sure but i don't think he was interviewed. Just some talk of maybe him becoming an assistant which he wasn't receptive to. I could be wrong on some of that though. Jeff Grayer also expressed interest. He continued in the CBA or NBADL coaching and the last year or two was at ISU finishing his degree knowing that would be very beneficial in joining the college coaching ranks. He was hired as an assistant to McDermott just a couple days before the creighton stuff started. Hoiberg will keep him on as a Detroit area guy where he was recruited by Johnny Orr, he has done charity work and has ties, and recruiting contacts. His best fit under Hoiberg may be director of baskeball operations/player development, something along those lines and look forward to promotion to assistant coach in the future.

Hoiberg at the time also expressed interest and that he had a plan if he were to become HC, using the things he learned from Orr, Tim Floyd, Flip Sauders, Kevin McHale, etc and applying it to ISU and college ball. Pollard said the timing wasn't right and Fred kept a close eye and that's what got him hired.

Very similar to Paul Rhodes. He and his wife met with Pollard before he hired Chizdick and expressed great interest and love for the job. Rhodes had a heck of a first year but he did have the coaching background.

To my knowledge, i could be wrong, but i don't think Hornacek has coached since he retired. Maybe his kids teams but nothing with an eye twards it becoming anything serious.

booger
05-03-2010, 07:13 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/iowastate/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2010/iowastate-19

Signed Letter of Intent
Melvin Ejim 3 stars SF Wolfeboro, NH
Brewster Academy 6'6" 205 3 stars 8/23/09 2/5/10 T.J. Otzelberger

DeMarcus Phillips 3 stars SG Marshalltown, IA
Marshalltown C.C. 6'3" 195 3 stars 11/16/09 T.J. Otzelberger

Jordan Railey 0 stars C Beaverton, OR
Beaverton 6'10" 215 1/8/10

Committed - Not Yet Signed
Calvin Godfrey 0 stars PF Plymouth, MN
Robbinsdale Cooper Sr. 6'8" 240 4/25/10 4/23/10 Jeff Rutter

Eric McKnight 0 stars PF Lanham, MD
Princeton Day Academy 6'9" 210 4/25/10

These are all McDerrmott recruits and staying likely because of Otzelberger and them knowing him and being on board with Hoiberg opening up the offense. Not great but i've seen much worse classes come through ames

Saulbadguy
05-03-2010, 08:22 PM
What's the story with Eric McKnight? Going from his Rivals page, it looks like he has quite a few offers from BCS schools.

booger
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Eric McKnight Inks With The Cyclones

AMES, Iowa- The Iowa State men’s basketball team will have the services of athletic forward Eric McKnight, a native of Raleigh, N.C., for the upcoming 2010-11 season. ISU head coach Fred Hoiberg announced today that McKnight has signed a letter of intent to join the Cyclones.

McKnight has emerged as a coveted recruit in college basketball circles within the last month, choosing ISU over Indiana, Maryland, Missouri and Georgetown.

Part of the reason McKnight has been so sought after is his unlimited potential. At 6-9 and 215 pounds, McKnight possesses a 7-foot wing span with outstanding jumping ability, helping him block 4.6 shots per game at Princeton Day Academy (Lanham, Md.) a year ago.

“Eric is a tremendous athlete,” ISU associate head coach T.J. Otzelberger said. “His uncanny ability to pull defenders away from the basket and handle the ball will make him a force. Defensively, he possesses outstanding timing and shot-blocking ability.”

McKnight was invited to numerous postseason all-star games after earning all-Independent and all-District honors in 2010. He is ranked as the 42nd-best power forward in the class of 2010 by ESPN.com. McKnight averaged 11.8 points and 10.8 rebounds last season.

Iowa State Men’s Basketball 2010-11 Recruits
Melvin Ejim, F, 6-6, 215, Fr., Brampton, Ontario (Brewster Academy [N.H.])
DeMarcus Phillips, G, 6-2, 195, Jr., Milwaukee, Wis. (Washington/Marshalltown C.C.)
Jordan Railey, F, 6-10, 235, Fr., Beaverton, Ore. (Beaverton)
Eric McKnight, F, 6-9, 215, Fr., Raleigh, N.C. (Princeton Day [Md.])

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46661&SPID=4252&ATCLID=204938392&DB_OEM_ID=10700

duncan_idaho
05-03-2010, 08:55 PM
What's the story with Eric McKnight? Going from his Rivals page, it looks like he has quite a few offers from BCS schools.

Athletic, somewhat raw player. Good enough to be Mizzou's backup plan for Riccardo Ratliffe.

I think he's a nice player a few years down the road, if he can pack on some weight.

Saccopoo
05-04-2010, 02:12 AM
If I wanted an ex Cyclone to coach ISU it would have been Hornacek. I'd be excited about that. Hoiberg? meh, I hope he pans out.

Don't jinx my Jazz like that. Hornacek has got to stick around in order to make sure it's not Scott Layden that gets the job when Jerry finally decides to retire.

Frankie
05-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I honestly don't know why he would even try in that direction. When the job opened up and he hired McDermott Pollard was ready to hire former Wisconsin and Marquette asst and current University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee HC Rob Jeter. Some rumors say he was the choice over McDermott but his buyout clause at UWM was pretty steap. Jeter and Pollard worked together at Wisconsin and Pollard loves former Bo Ryan assistants.

At that time The late Barry Stevens, former cyclone great and NBA player, CBA and NBADL HC expressed interest. Not sure but i don't think he was interviewed. Just some talk of maybe him becoming an assistant which he wasn't receptive to. I could be wrong on some of that though. Jeff Grayer also expressed interest. He continued in the CBA or NBADL coaching and the last year or two was at ISU finishing his degree knowing that would be very beneficial in joining the college coaching ranks. He was hired as an assistant to McDermott just a couple days before the creighton stuff started. Hoiberg will keep him on as a Detroit area guy where he was recruited by Johnny Orr, he has done charity work and has ties, and recruiting contacts. His best fit under Hoiberg may be director of baskeball operations/player development, something along those lines and look forward to promotion to assistant coach in the future.

Hoiberg at the time also expressed interest and that he had a plan if he were to become HC, using the things he learned from Orr, Tim Floyd, Flip Sauders, Kevin McHale, etc and applying it to ISU and college ball. Pollard said the timing wasn't right and Fred kept a close eye and that's what got him hired.

Very similar to Paul Rhodes. He and his wife met with Pollard before he hired Chizdick and expressed great interest and love for the job. Rhodes had a heck of a first year but he did have the coaching background.

To my knowledge, i could be wrong, but i don't think Hornacek has coached since he retired. Maybe his kids teams but nothing with an eye twards it becoming anything serious.

Thanks. You seem to be pretty up on the ISU situation.

Frankie
05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Don't jinx my Jazz like that. Hornacek has got to stick around in order to make sure it's not Scott Layden that gets the job when Jerry finally decides to retire.

Is he in the Jazz FO?

booger
06-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Hoiberg Adds Experienced Lutz to Staff

AMES, Iowa- Iowa State head men’s basketball coach Fred Hoiberg stressed the importance of surrounding himself with top-notch assistants at his introductory press conference. Without question, Hoiberg hit a home run by announcing today that former Charlotte head man Bobby Lutz, a winner of 399 games in his head coaching career, will join the Cyclone men’s basketball program as an assistant coach.

Lutz (pronounced LOOTS) is a marquee name in college basketball, establishing himself as one of the best coaches in the nation over the past 12 seasons as the head coach at Charlotte. Lutz led his alma mater to eight postseason appearances – five NCAA, three NIT – and became the winningest coach in 49er history, amassing a 218-158 mark from 1999-2010.

“I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that Coach Lutz will be joining the Cyclone basketball family,” Hoiberg said. “Bobby is one of the most experienced and well-respected coaches in the nation. He will be a key member of our staff and I most definitely will rely on his knowledge and expertise. Anytime you add someone to your staff who has close to 400 wins as a head coach it’s a huge plus.”

A native of Denver, N.C., Lutz led Charlotte to a school-record five 20-win seasons, averaged over 18 wins a year and won three league titles (1999, 2001, 2004) in his brilliant 12-year tenure with the 49ers.

“I was really content on taking a year off, but then I was approached by Fred and I was immediately interested and intrigued,” Lutz said. “As we kept in touch I became more and more excited about coming to Iowa State. I think it’s a great fit for me with the skill set and experience I have and I hope I can help Fred build this program into a very competitive level in the Big 12. In addition to the professional side, I wouldn’t work for anyone I didn’t feel extremely good about as a person. That is extremely important for me and I am confident that will not be an issue with this staff.”

Lutz was responsible for significantly upgrading the talent level in his coaching stint at Charlotte. He had four top-20 national recruiting classes and tutored 10 players who earned first-team all-conference honors. Five times in his career a Lutz-coached 49er squad knocked off a top-10 opponent, including a win over No. 3 Cincinnati in 1999. Five of Charlotte’s eight wins over top-10-ranked opponents in school history came under Lutz’ watch.

The 52-year-old Lutz led Charlotte to 23 wins and an appearance in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in his inaugural season in 1998-99. Charlotte again made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament two years later (2001) after compiling a 22-11 record. Lutz’ 2001 team was led by Rodney White, who was named National Freshman of the Year by ESPN.com and was the No. 9 pick of the 2001 NBA Draft after his sensational collegiate rookie season.

In 2004, Charlotte tied for first in the Conference USA standings and earned its fourth NCAA Tourney bid in the Lutz era with a 21-9 record. He was named Mid-Atlantic Region Coach of the Year by Basketball Times and Dick Vitale tabbed him Conference USA Coach of the Year.

The 49ers and Lutz continued to roll the following year (2004-05) by going 21-8 and earning his fifth NCAA Tournament bid in seven years. Eddie Basden, who was named C-USA Player of the Year, and Curtis Withers, who was an All-American and a three-time first-team all-conference pick, helped lead Charlotte to a lofty No. 18 ranking by the Associated Press during the season. Lutz was a finalist for the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year Award.

Lutz joined the staff at Charlotte as an assistant in 1995. He aided Melvin Watkins for three seasons (1995-98) before taking over head coaching duties after Watkins took the Texas A&M post. The 49ers compiled a record of 56-35 and went to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments when Lutz was an assistant for Watkins.

Lutz molded Pfeiffer University, a NAIA school in Misenheimer, N.C., into a national power from 1986-95 before his time at Charlotte. He produced a 181-91 record and qualified for six-straight NAIA Tournament berths, including three Final Four appearances. His teams had an incredible .785 winning percentage (153-42) from 1990-95 and he developed 10 NAIA All-Americans, including all-time leading scorer Tony Smith and former NBA star Antonio Harvey.

He was an assistant for two seasons for Cliff Ellis at Clemson from 1984-86.

Lutz graduated with “High Honors” from UNC Charlotte in 1980 with a degree in Economics and Psychology and a 3.82 GPA. He has four degrees: Lenoir-Rhyne, 1981 (A.B. Secondary Education); Winthrop, 1985 (M.A.T. Secondary Social Studies); Clemson, 1986 (M.A. Education- Administration & Supervision).

Lutz has been extremely active in off-the-court endeavors and goodwill campaigns in his successful career. He served as the Honorary Chair of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Light Up the Night Campaign as well as the Coaches’ Curing Kids’ Cancer organization just to name a few.

He is a proud member of Pfeiffer’s Athletics Hall of Fame and UNC Charlotte’s Alumni Hall of Fame.

Lutz and his wife, Janet, are the parents of Natalie, 21, who is a recent graduate of the University of Florida and pursuing her master’s degree at North Carolina, and Christine, 19, who attends the University of Kentucky on a soccer scholarship.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=204961135&DB_OEM_ID=10700

Buck
06-17-2010, 11:45 AM
55 posts and no Zoidberg. You disappoint me CP.

http://www.che.eng.ohio-state.edu/~aiche/images/Zoidberg-Why.gif

Saulbadguy
06-17-2010, 11:45 AM
That post game handshake will be awkward between Dalonte Hill and Bobby Lutz.

Reaper16
06-17-2010, 11:52 AM
That post game handshake will be awkward between Dalonte Hill and Bobby Lutz.
Enough tension to make Beasley relapse.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Lutz has positioned himself nicely to be named HC in 2011.