PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Simply Heinz

Fire Me Boy!
05-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Apparently, the new thing is to make new products based off the old ones using sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Heinz and Hunts both have launched simple recipe versions of their ketchups, following the likes of Pepsi and Coke.

I'm a ketchup junkie. I love it. It goes on all kinds of food. And I've always like Heinz better than Hunts. So I tried Simply Heinz today.

My verdict: It's really damn good. It's a bit sweeter, which I think kinda brings the natural flavors and spices out a bit more.

aturnis
05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
So there is a Simply 57 also huh? Sounds delicious. Too bad I recently bought large bottles of both ketchup and 57. It'll be awhile before I can check these out.

Sure-Oz
05-01-2010, 02:00 PM
May as well try it, i really dont notice a difference in pop granted i rarely drink pop unless its mixed with alcohol and is a zero or diet

Priest31kc
05-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I know Im in the minority, but I HATE Ketchup. I absolutely love BBQ sauce though.

kysirsoze
05-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I think it's funny that these companies make clearly superior versions of their own products and call them "special" or "for a limited time." They might as well say, "remember how good these products were before we slowly chipped away at them until they were cheaper, crappier, less healthy versions? Yeah, I know. We used to be good at this. Alright, back to the cheap shit assholes!!!"

listopencil
05-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm loving the "throwback" products that use sugar instead of corn sweetener. Sodas taste like they did when I was a kid. Great stuff. I'm not against corn sweetener. I used it on my pancakes:

http://happygrub.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/karo.jpg

But sugar doesn't mask the taste of foods like corn sweetener does.

Fire Me Boy!
05-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Anybody tried making their own ketchup? I bought some years ago from a roadside Amish stand in rural MO. Best shit I've ever had. Would love to have the recipe, and I've tried making it a couple times with not very good results.

mlyonsd
05-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Heinz Changing Ketchup Recipe to Slash Salt

Friday , May 14, 2010
http://www.foxnews.com/images/service_ap_36.gif

H.J. Heinz Co. is messing around with the recipe for its flagship product, reducing the sodium content in its ketchup in a move that the company described as the first "significant" change in the nation's dominant brand of the tomato-based condiment in nearly 40 years.

A little more than a week ago, employees began cooking up the new version. Bottles of reformulated Heinz ketchup are expected to start appearing, quietly, in grocery stores this summer.

Don't expect splashy announcements on the labels or anything. That's not in the plan, a company spokeswoman said.

Heinz is moving carefully, but with confidence that consumers will be OK with the new recipe.

"The initial consumer taste tests were conducted in Pittsburgh, before we expanded to six cities across the U.S., to ensure the recipe met our consumers' expectations," said Jessica Jackson, a company spokeswoman.

milkman
05-16-2010, 08:55 AM
I know Im in the minority, but I HATE Ketchup. I absolutely love BBQ sauce though.

I'm with you.

mlyonsd
05-16-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm with you.

I use ketchup way more 'in' things, than 'on' things.

milkman
05-16-2010, 09:15 AM
I use ketchup way more 'in' things, than 'on' things.

I would imagine a lot of people do, which is why my wife bitches that I don't like anything.

gblowfish
05-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Anybody remember Brooks Catsup? I liked it better than Heinz or Hunts.

Oh, and is it Catsup or Ketchup? Is there a difference? Why the different spellings?
Or is this another Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-BQ thing?

gblowfish
05-16-2010, 10:30 AM
OK, now I'm even more confused. The old Brooks bottle says "Catsup" but the new one says "Ketchup." So what's the deal? Does this mean Brooks has cheapened up its recipe and turned Catsup into Ketchup? The old style bottle said "Catsup" and the new one says "Ketchup." Weird.

More background:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Catsup_vs_Ketchup

The word ketchup is derived from the Chinese ke-tsiap, a pickled fish sauce. It made its way to Malaysia where it became kechap and ketjap in Indonesia. Catsup and catchup are acceptable spellings used interchangably with ketchup, however, ketchup is the way it is popularly used. "Catsup", which dates to the same time, may well be a different Romanization of the same word, trying to come closer to a sound that doesn't really exist in English.

In the 1800s, "ketchup" was most common in Britain and "catsup" was most common in the US for reasons unknown. The two words never really canceled each other out because in their formative years, there weren't spelling dictionaries choosing a "correct" version of words. (Many Americans pronounced "catsup" the same as "ketchup" in any case.) Today, "ketchup" is the dominant term in both countries, though "catsup" still has its strongholds, especially in the southern US.

History

Seventeenth century English sailors first discovered the delights of the "sauce", a Chinese condiment and brought it to the west. Ketchup was first mentioned in print around 1690. The Chinese version is actually more akin to a soy or Worcestershire sauce.

It gradually went through various changes, particularly with the addition of tomatoes in the 1700s. By the nineteenth century, ketchup was also known as tomato soy. Early tomato versions were much thinner with a consistency more like a soy or Worcestershire sauce. F. & J. Heinz Company began selling tomato ketchup in 1876. By the end of the nineteenth century, tomato ketchup was the primary type of ketchup in the United States, and the decriptor of tomato was gradually dropped.
[edit] Ingredients

The basic ingredients in modern ketchup are tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon. Onions, celery, and other vegetables are frequent additions. Catsup may be made of tomatoes, onions, cayenne, sugar, white vinegar, cloves, cinnamon, celery seed and salt. So the two do not differ much in their ingredients. But different manufacturers may use different ingredients for the two. Sometimes Catsup may be more spicy than Ketchup.

Catsup is known to most experts to use higher quality tomatoes. This fact is not known to most Consumers, and they blindly purchase the inferior ketchup more often.

Brooks Catsup
This saucy condiment was created in Collinsville, Illinois and was produced at the base of the World's Largest Catsup Bottle.

The Brooks brand name gained nation-wide attention as once being the best-selling "tangy" catsup around.

Today, the Brooks brand is owned by our friends at Birds Eye Foods and has very limited distribution. Folks all over the U.S. will never forget the distinct flavor of Brooks Old Original Rich & Tangy Catsup!

Collinsville saved the Catsup Bottle!
http://www.catsupbottle.com/

July 11th is the Catsup Festival!
http://www.bnd.com/2010/05/14/1256007/time-catsup-bottle-festival-among.html

What does the Brooks Catsup Bottle have in common with Mike the Headless Chicken, Roswell, New Mexico's aliens and rolling rounds of British cheese?

They're all on Time Magazine's list of Top 10 quirky local festivals.

Time put together a photo array of the oddest customs around the globe, including a Spanish baby-jumping festival to thousands of nude Japanese men in a mud pit.
Collinsville's famed water tower
The famous Brooks catsup bottle in Collinsville. - Tim Vizer/BND

In Hong Kong, tens of thousands of people climb a 60-foot metal structure covered with sweet buns.

By comparison, Collinsville's annual celebration of the world's largest catsup bottle is fairly tame: a hula-hoop contest, hot-dog-eating contest, Little Princess Tomato and Sir Catsup contest and the traditional catsup tasting contest.

"I don't even know how this happened. ... I can't believe it. It's insanely cool," said Mike Gassmann, self-described "Big Tomato" of the Brooks Catsup Bottle Fan Club.

The 170-foot-tall water tower has been a metro-east landmark since 1949, originally a water tower for the G.S. Suppiger bottling plant. The annual Catsup Bottle Festival will be held this year on July 11.

Here are Time's Top 10 "quirky" festivals:

* Mike the Headless Chicken Festival (Fruita, Colo.)

* Roswell UFO Festival (Roswell, N.M.)

* BugFest (Raleigh, N.C.)

* San Fermin in Nueva Orleans (New Orleans, La.)

* Coney Island Mermaid Parade (Brooklyn, N.Y.)

* Cheese-Rolling Festival (Gloucestershire, England)

* Baby-Jumping Festival (Spain)

* Naked Festival (Okayama, Japan)

* Bun Festival (Hong Kong)

* The World's Largest Catsup Bottle Festival (Collinsville, Ill.)

Read more: http://www.bnd.com/2010/05/14/1256007/time-catsup-bottle-festival-among.html#ixzz0o6u5ReOG

mlyonsd
05-16-2010, 11:49 AM
OK, now I'm even more confused. The old Brooks bottle says "Catsup" but the new one says "Ketchup." So what's the deal? Does this mean Brooks has cheapened up its recipe and turned Catsup into Ketchup? The old style bottle said "Catsup" and the new one says "Ketchup." Weird.

Interesting. I wondered what the difference was too. My Grandpa always used the word 'Catsup'. Other than that I can't remember anyone else using it.

Chiefs Rool
05-16-2010, 11:56 AM
I won't eat french fries, burgers, hot dogs or eggs without my ketchup!! It's the most American thing that there is.

cdcox
05-16-2010, 12:01 PM
We often used Brooks catsup in my house growing up. I don't believe there is now nor ever was any real difference between catsup and kethchup. Just two different spellings for the same thing.

I like kethchup/catsup.

Bump
05-16-2010, 01:21 PM
We often used Brooks catsup in my house growing up. I don't believe there is now nor ever was any real difference between catsup and ketchup. Just two different spellings for the same thing.

I like ketchup/catsup.

FYP

cdcox
05-16-2010, 02:10 PM
FYP

It's just another alternative spelling that is perfectly acceptable regionally. You probably aren't familiar with it since the region is remarkably small.

teedubya
05-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I love Brooks... Tangy is good. Poontangy is best.

Bump
05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
It's just another alternative spelling that is perfectly acceptable regionally. You probably aren't familiar with it since the region is remarkably small.

A google search would have shown results for that, I would have thought.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af325/JakeWilson69/KETCHUP.jpg

Hammock Parties
05-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Why are you eating ketchup if you're trying to lose weight?

Fire Me Boy!
05-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Why are you eating ketchup if you're trying to lose weight?

Because a little is fine - 1 Tbsp. has 15 calories. And I always add it in my logs.

patteeu
05-16-2010, 07:28 PM
A google search would have shown results for that, I would have thought.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af325/JakeWilson69/KETCHUP.jpg

Remarkably small = the cdcox homestead