PDA

View Full Version : Misc Four A-10s flew over today.....

Kylo Ren
05-03-2010, 10:06 AM
It was good to see. I thought they were retired. They must still be flying with reserve and gaurd units. I always loved that badass bird.

The Franchise
05-03-2010, 10:10 AM
The A-10 is out of Arizona. They're not retired as far as I know.

HC_Chief
05-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Not retired... it is in service until 2040 IIRC.

morphius
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
They keep wanting to retire them, but they beat the crap out of tanks so badly that they haven't been able to.

Bowser
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
There's some stationed at Whiteman with the Guard units, iirc.

Toadkiller
05-03-2010, 10:19 AM
The Warthog is my favorite plane ever, that thing is badass.

Demonpenz
05-03-2010, 10:29 AM
I love them, I remember sometime back in 2003 I was dug in like an atchison Kansas tick somewhere in iraq. I will be honest I was leading a bunch of men but they were actually boys. I was scared shitless. I could tell in their voices that they weren't ready, luckily we had a warthog in the area. Airwing 6969 had just got new supplies and they were ready to roll. With sweat on my palms and mountain dew on my chin I decided it was the time to roll. So I reached down and with all my might pressed "b" and brought up m menu screen, then like a flash I highlighted the bad guys and pressed A. Then quickly used the directional pad to shot any snipers that would be in the area. we lost some good men in that day. Bigdog22, SnakeUgirl, Jewhatelovr22 were all great warries that battle and will be missed

gblowfish
05-03-2010, 10:32 AM
They do Arrowhead flyovers with A-10s sometimes. They fly out of Whiteman AFB in Missouri, where the B2 Bomber is stationed.

morphius
05-03-2010, 10:36 AM
There's some stationed at Whiteman with the Guard units, iirc.
I believe they moved the Air Force Reserve 442nd unit from Gebaur in KC to Whiteman.

morphius
05-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Pretty cool pick from the 442 site...

http://www.442fw.afrc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/091020-F-2616H-001.jpg

notorious
05-03-2010, 10:39 AM
The A-10 is out of Arizona. They're not retired as far as I know.

Boise, too.

gblowfish
05-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I took this picture on opening day last year. Warthogs over Arrowhead!

88TG88
05-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I love them, I remember sometime back in 2003 I was dug in like an atchison Kansas tick somewhere in iraq. I will be honest I was leading a bunch of men but they were actually boys. I was scared shitless. I could tell in their voices that they weren't ready, luckily we had a warthog in the area. Airwing 6969 had just got new supplies and they were ready to roll. With sweat on my palms and mountain dew on my chin I decided it was the time to roll. So I reached down and with all my might pressed "b" and brought up m menu screen, then like a flash I highlighted the bad guys and pressed A. Then quickly used the directional pad to shot any snipers that would be in the area. we lost some good men in that day. Bigdog22, SnakeUgirl, Jewhatelovr22 were all great warries that battle and will be missed

wow

loochy
05-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I believe they moved the Air Force Reserve 442nd unit from Gebaur in KC to Whiteman.

They did indeed. My dad used to be a mechanic in the 442nd back when they were at Richards Gebaur. It was pretty awesome growing up with him doing that stuff. Back then the security was very very lax. I could go up there while he was at work and look around up close at the airplanes that they were repairing. Also, since he was friends with some of the pilots, on more than one occasion I got to sit in the cockpit with the plane actually turned on. I got to do that with an F-16 once, too.

Also, one time while my dad was deployed in Wisonsin, I had the pleasure of going to the range and seeing the A-10s do target practice on dummy vehicles. The gun shoots so fast that it sounds funny - not like what you'd expect from a machine gun. The sound is more like a super fast farting noise.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-03-2010, 12:53 PM
saw several landing at the Gardener airport Thursday.

BigOlChiefsfan
05-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Love 'em. This (http://wallbase.net/wallpaper/166735) is my wallpaper.

morphius
05-03-2010, 01:04 PM
They did indeed. My dad used to be a mechanic in the 442nd back when they were at Richards Gebaur. It was pretty awesome growing up with him doing that stuff. Back then the security was very very lax. I could go up there while he was at work and look around up close at the airplanes that they were repairing. Also, since he was friends with some of the pilots, on more than one occasion I got to sit in the cockpit with the plane actually turned on. I got to do that with an F-16 once, too.

Also, one time while my dad was deployed in Wisonsin, I had the pleasure of going to the range and seeing the A-10s do target practice on dummy vehicles. The gun shoots so fast that it sounds funny - not like what you'd expect from a machine gun. The sound is more like a super fast farting noise.
My Dad we also a part of the 442nd, lol.

kcmaxwell
05-03-2010, 01:49 PM
We had a big air show in st. joe this weekend. There were several A-10's there performing, maybe they were coming from that...

AED
05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey, long time lurker here. I'm in the 442nd and the A-10's are very alive and well. They keep dropping rumors about retiring them but they just do their job to well.

DonTellMeShowMe
05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
yup they fly over Tucson here alllll day

morphius
05-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey, long time lurker here. I'm in the 442nd and the A-10's are very alive and well. They keep dropping rumors about retiring them but they just do their job to well.
Yeah, just seems the air force wants to concentrate on the dog fighting and blowing things up from a distance, but no helicopter can do what the grand forces ask of the A-10.

Thanks for stopping in!

kcmaxwell
05-03-2010, 03:49 PM

They are just too d@mn cool to get rid of! and welcome to the planet, or at least the posting portion!!
maxwell

Kraus
05-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Their flight path from Whiteman has them flying around my farm just south of Warsaw. Everytime I'm there I hear/see a pair of them flying around.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I had an A-10 crash into one of my hog barns one time. Luckily it wasn't packing.

BigOlChiefsfan
05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Wart Hog...Hog barn...maybe it was just, y'know, kinda lonely.

bevischief
05-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Oklahoma has them too.

chefsos
05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
A couple of them fly over my workplace just about every day.

Marcellus
05-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I have witnessed one in action in Iraq in 91'.

They are a great tank killer and excellent for infantry support.

boogblaster
05-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Any war-plane is awesome ....

Luke
05-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I guess the ones I see are from Whiteman, they are too cool.
Normally I hear the B2's before I see them. I get a warm feeling knowing that somewhere an Islamic Fundamentalist hears the same thing right before he meets his virgins.....ROFL

BIG K
05-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Glad to hear it! I heard the Air Force wanted to scrap them the moment they rolled out, not sexy enough, or rather, not 'sophisticated' enough. Still, I think the A-10 is one of the most beautiful aircraft to fly because it was built to kill and survive. Welcome aboard! Keep on posting my friend!:)

P.S- Have you had the pleasure of hearing that 30mm purr?

BIG K
05-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Any war-plane is awesome ....

True enough. But not many aircraft are built to lose an engine, landing gear, one tail wing and still fly. Oh by the way, the pilot is surrounded in a titanium bathtub to make sure he survives too! The aircraft was built 'around' the 30mm gun protruding every so sexily from it's nose....

Love this warbird......

AED
05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Glad to hear it! I heard the Air Force wanted to scrap them the moment they rolled out, not sexy enough, or rather, not 'sophisticated' enough. Still, I think the A-10 is one of the most beautiful aircraft to fly because it was built to kill and survive. Welcome aboard! Keep on posting my friend!:)

P.S- Have you had the pleasure of hearing that 30mm purr?

Yeah they decided to just do some upgrades to them after attempting to retire them multiple times. I have not actually been there for a live fire but seem lots of videos, and it's true, the 30 mm cannon does sound funny as hell.

kcfanXIII
05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk96/kcfanxiii/flyover.jpg

BIG K
05-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah they decided to just do some upgrades to them after attempting to retire them multiple times. I have not actually been there for a live fire but seem lots of videos, and it's true, the 30 mm cannon does sound funny as hell.

At one point, I remember reading an article where the AF said that the F-16 could fill the role of the A-10. Sorry, no way, no how. Glad to hear she is still out there.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Air Force wanted to get rid of them back in 90 (give or take). Said the F-16 could do anything the A-10 could.

Army immediately offered to buy all of them. Air Force decided . . . maybe the old birds still had some life in them.

Of all the things an F-16 can do, there's one thing an A-10 does better. It can linger. I'd rather have a squadron of them doing lazy circles in the sky above me than an F-16 that rushes in, shoots a few targets and then runs like hell before it runs out of gas.

Oh, another thing it does better. It can take a hit. I've seen pics of an A-10 coming back after a mission, holes all through that thing and it was still flying. Those F-16's just look for an excuse to not fly.

kcfanXIII
05-03-2010, 10:46 PM
a fuel tank, that can be shot with up to a .50 cal bullet and seal itself. as mentioned, it can lose an engine, a tail wing, and 3/4 of a wing, and still make it home. around 80 tons of ordinance. that crazy ass vulcan gun. no way can any plane do what this plane does, and be successful.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Oh, and I've been on the receiving end of a strafing run by a pair of A-10s (exercise at Ft. Bliss - our convoy got lit up by Taco 1 and Taco 2 of the New Mexico National Guard). I don't care if that thing was shooting blanks and dropping bombs filled with flour, it was not a pleasant experience in any way shape or form.

Face it, I was driving a Deuce and I had an M-16. What was I gonna do to it?

BIG K
05-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Air Force wanted to get rid of them back in 90 (give or take). Said the F-16 could do anything the A-10 could.

Army immediately offered to buy all of them. Air Force decided . . . maybe the old birds still had some life in them.

Of all the things an F-16 can do, there's one thing an A-10 does better. It can linger. I'd rather have a squadron of them doing lazy circles in the sky above me than an F-16 that rushes in, shoots a few targets and then runs like hell before it runs out of gas.

Oh, another thing it does better. It can take a hit. I've seen pics of an A-10 coming back after a mission, holes all through that thing and it was still flying. Those F-16's just look for an excuse to not fly.

I beleive I read a story line that you just supported. One of the reasons the AF did not want them was because it required them as 'air support' for the ground troops, which according to the article, the AF was not cool with. The AF, according to the article, would rather bomb from afar. There is not an aircraft in the arsenal that has the survivability of close support nor the loitering time....

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-03-2010, 11:11 PM
I beleive I read a story line that you just supported. One of the reasons the AF did not want them was because it required them as 'air support' for the ground troops, which according to the article, the AF was not cool with. The AF, according to the article, would rather bomb from afar. There is not an aircraft in the arsenal that has the survivability of close support nor the loitering time....

Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Apaches and when I was a kid the Cobra and the Huey Gun-slick were the hot models (besides sports cars). Although, the idea of standing out on the skids with nothing but an M-60 and some air for armor strikes me as awful foolish now forty years later.

My next door neighbor at Ft. Bliss was an AF Close Air Combat Controller. He was assigned to the Regimental TOC and his team was responsible for riding out in a track with the rest of the Cav and then calling in A-10 support for the M1A1s. Don't know how he did in the AF, he actually seemed to like the field and I'm sure that didn't make him fit in with the rest of the blue weenies . . . I mean, other airmen. :evil:

Saccopoo
05-04-2010, 01:32 AM
What would be really exciting is if we, as a society, could get as excited about nationalized health care, education and alternative energy sources as we seemingly are about some 50 million dollar plane whose sole purpose is to kill people.

The US military machine has performed the best marketing job ever.

GoHuge
05-04-2010, 01:43 AM
a fuel tank, that can be shot with up to a .50 cal bullet and seal itself. as mentioned, it can lose an engine, a tail wing, and 3/4 of a wing, and still make it home. around 80 tons of ordinance. that crazy ass vulcan gun. no way can any plane do what this plane does, and be successful.I know we're all stroking off to the A-10, but lets not get carried away. It can hold 16,000 lbs of ordinance. Hell the B-2 only holds 50,000.

You ask any grunt though and they will tell you their best friend in the world is the A-10. Between the whistling sound of the engines, the "romp" of the 30 mm, or the get ya some array of ordinance they carry. Like the Apache the motto between pilots is "when we fly, our guys don't die." No Talli is going to stick around when big brother shows up.

Someone mentioned the B-2 earlier and looking up and seeing one in Afghanistan. Just imagine looking up and seeing that bad mofo and knowing that your already dead by the time you see it if your a bad guy. With what they've done with the exhaust you never hear the damn thing until it's gone by. Have a lake house in between Clinton and Warsaw and your always seeing them, A010's, and Apaches. In the summer the Apaches are always running around Truman Lake. I met a pilot and asked him why they're always around? He explained it is good practice to use boats to simulate engaging moving targets. That's real comforting knowing your in the crosshairs of an Apache when you come around a corner and see three of them hovering just over the treetops!!! Meanest looking flying machine in our arsenal.

sandynme
05-04-2010, 04:29 AM
the second most feared aircraft in the war next to the apaches.50 cal. electric gatling gun does all the talking, and the dune cunes hate what it has to say

Coltman
05-04-2010, 05:32 AM
Whiteman AFB near Sedalia all have Chiefs Arrowheads with the KC logo near the top of their stabilizer. Really cool, I saw them when we toured the base two years ago. There was at least 15 of them stationed there and all had the logo on them.

Demonpenz
05-04-2010, 05:58 AM
What would be really exciting is if we, as a society, could get as excited about nationalized health care, education and alternative energy sources as we seemingly are about some 50 million dollar plane whose sole purpose is to kill people.

Moonwalking penguins are a bad marketing for education

be coool
stay in school

Demonpenz
05-04-2010, 05:59 AM
the second most feared aircraft in the war next to the apaches.50 cal. electric gatling gun does all the talking, and the dune cunes hate what it has to say

if you are going to be racist, atleast learn to spell

InChiefsHeaven
05-04-2010, 06:00 AM
When I was a kid, in the late 70's, I lived in Germany. AFRTS, the American Forces Radio and Television Service, used to run commercials about the military, really just rah-rah type commercials. The one on the A-10 I will never forget. The tag line was "The A-10 Thunderbolt tank killer...aren't you glad it's on OUR side?" spoken over footage of the A-10 just tearing shit up. That was awesome...and as an 8 year old kid it left a real impression on me.

loochy
05-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Super fast firing fart noise. :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sALiuWg_I1k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sALiuWg_I1k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

...firing bullets that are bigger than your head. I have no idea who that guy is. It's just a random picture from the interwebs.
http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/uploaded_images/me-bullet-711123.jpg

InChiefsHeaven
05-04-2010, 08:52 AM
HO...LY...SHIT!!!

AED
05-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Whiteman AFB near Sedalia all have Chiefs Arrowheads with the KC logo near the top of their stabilizer. Really cool, I saw them when we toured the base two years ago. There was at least 15 of them stationed there and all had the logo on them.

Yeah that is the 442nd emblem. A yellow KC arrowhead with the silhouette of an A-10, and a lightning bolt crossing it.

loochy
05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah that is the 442nd emblem. A yellow KC arrowhead with the silhouette of an A-10, and a lightning bolt crossing it.

When did it change? It used to be an eagle with an american flag shield and the gau-8 gun barrel.

AED
05-04-2010, 09:56 AM
When did it change? It used to be an eagle with an american flag shield and the gau-8 gun barrel.

I pulled out my old BDU's and you're right, it is the eagle with the American flag shield. The KC arrowhead must be some unofficial symbol though, it is on all of the A-10's and, most 442 have it on their cars to show they're in the 442nd. I never see the actual emblem anymore, strange. It's probably because the new uniforms don't have patches at least not yet.

spanky 52
05-04-2010, 10:53 AM
I live in Salina, KS. About 10 miles southwest of town the KS NG operates a gunnery range that the Air Force uses. All types of aircraft including A-10's. They live fire all the time and the A-10 is the greatest. You see the smoke from the gun, at the same time shit is flying everywhere on the ground and then a couple seconds later you hear the noise.

Last summer they held a Warthog competition from all A-10 units around the globe. A friend and I parked on a hill about two miles from the target zone and enjoyed the show. Incredible aircraft.

AED
05-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Yeah I think they do that every year in Salina. It's called Hogfest.

BIG K
05-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Super fast firing fart noise. :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sALiuWg_I1k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sALiuWg_I1k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

...firing bullets that are bigger than your head. I have no idea who that guy is. It's just a random picture from the interwebs.
http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/uploaded_images/me-bullet-711123.jpg

I do believe that to be a 30mm depleted uranium round used by the hog, or thunderbolt, (depending on your generation). The Apache is the only other aircraft to carry a 30mm, though it is a chain gun versus a vulcan cannon like the A-10. I imagine they shoot the same round? (depleted uranium?) It's prupose is to shred armour.

BIG K
05-04-2010, 10:40 PM

Wouldn't the world be great if all the schools had all the teachers they needed, the books they needed, and the air force would have to a 'bake sale' to buy a new bomber? Yes it would be cool. But not gonna happen with assholes out there who threaten our way of life. No disrespect.

Saccopoo
05-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Wouldn't the world be great if all the schools had all the teachers they needed, the books they needed, and the air force would have to a 'bake sale' to buy a new bomber? Yes it would be cool. But not gonna happen with assholes out there who threaten our way of life. No disrespect.

So, you are saying that we need to send A-10's into the buildings housing the AMA headquarters, Phizer and Johnson & Johnson, Allstate, Exxon, BP, etc?

Who the fuck is threatening our way of life?

Seriously.

Seems like Sweden, Switzerland, Canada and about a billion other countries seem to have the same "way of life" that we have, other than the fact that they aren't getting taxed out the ass to pay for a super tank, destroyer, etc., but it instead goes to education, national health care, etc.

What kind of "way of life" are you thinking about that we might descend into if we didn't have A-10's and M-1's and F-22's and cruise missiles and aircraft carriers and shit like that? Myanmar? You dumb fuck. The fact that we have the greatest concentration of natural resources in our country as a whole compared to other countries/unions means we are a world power and control global economic situations. That we have A-10's as a reason to establish and hold onto our "way of life" is utterly moronic and antiquated.

I'm sure your great-great-grandpa was the guy who came up with the Great White Fleet concept. Congrats to him for sending us into the dogshit economic situation we are currently in.