PDA

View Full Version : Life Happy, honored, and still sad!

Frankie
05-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Nine months ago, I came very close to starting a thread about losing a dear friend to Cancer. That I didn't was because I thought it was selfish of me to do so, given the fact that distance and both of our busy lives had relegated our contact to emails and all too scarce phone calls. But I always cherished his friendship and followed in awe his accomplishments. How sad that we allow years to pass without bothering to keep up frequency of contact, always thinking we have time on our hand.

Ali was an excellent student at Iowa State University. After obtaining his PhD, he was employed by the Jet Propulsion Lab out in CA. During his career with JPL he was prominently involved in many NASA outer space projects. Despite all his successes he was perhaps THE MOST polite, helpful, humble, and down to earth (forgive the unintended pun) person you would ever meet. And THAT was what made him a truly great man.

Well, as I said earlier, nine months ago I heard the sudden tragic news that Cancer had taken Ali at 45. Some losses transcend the definition of "PERSONAL." Ali's loss was indeed the world's. I was shocked to hear about this and felt guilty that I had not even been aware that he was sick. Any attempt then to post a thread about this would have been my own selfish attempt to invite your sympathy. But today I am doing it because I'm proud of Ali, grateful to have known him, and yet sad that I still miss him. You see, I have recently been informed that a comet has been named after Ali by the Italian Space Team he worked with:

"(115051) Safaeinili = 2003 RC6 Discovered 2003 Sept. 4 by CINEOS at Campo Imperatore. Ali Safaeinili (1964-2009) studied electrical engineering and computer science at Iowa State University. As a radar scientist and electrical engineer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, he designed new rad...ars used for planetary exploration projects involving measuring the thickness of glaciers and presence of water on Mars."

Wow!...The “Safaeinili.”. How absolutely awesome that Ali has been immortalized this way. Somewhere up there I hope he is smiling with pride. We, his friends, certainly ARE down here.

Rest In Peace, Ali. We are all richer for having known you.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Memory-of-Ali-Safaeinili-72909/452049635579