PDA

View Full Version : Electronics have you ever been shocked?

chiefsfan93
05-03-2010, 04:20 PM
The other week one of our new technicians in the plant had a boo boo. He was changing out a UV bulb and did not have the correct one off!
When he put the new one in it got him,got lucky taking out the old.
Any way when it shocked him he had his head bounce between dust collection pipes and burnt his finger. The transformers that run these lights are 1800v A/C.
I cant beleive he worked the rest of the shift and didn't get checked out but... When I came in the next day I saw where his head was scarred up. All I can think is WTF!
Any of you guys been shocked?:bolts::bolts::bolts::bolts::bolts:

LaChapelle
05-03-2010, 04:21 PM
:facepalm:

tyton75
05-03-2010, 04:32 PM
been hit with 110 a couple of times... tickled

Fritz88
05-03-2010, 04:36 PM
i had an electrical eel up my ass once. I passed out for 3 weeks. When I woke up they said it was the equivalent of 3000 V. True story.

keg in kc
05-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I haven't, not seriously, but I once saw an arc burn a neat little hole clean through a co-worker's channel locks. He thought at the time he'd have been dead on the spot if he'd been using a pair with cheaper insulation on the grip, and I tend to agree with him. Hell of a thing to see, though.

Duck Dog
05-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Took 540 VDC to the back of my finger. It shot through the finger and into the test set leads I was holding. Fried the the test set and blistered my finger on both sides.

vailpass
05-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Took 540 VDC to the back of my finger. It shot through the finger and into the test set leads I was holding. Fried the the test set and blistered my finger on both sides.

:eek:

Bane
05-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah I was helping a buddy hook up a water heater and he said he had the breaker thrown (off) but he didn't.Needless to say he didn't and when I grabbed the hot wire to strip the end...POW!!! 220 volts straight through my hand...Knocked me down and I was dizzy for a lil while but I didn't gain any super powers or mutant abilities...Lesson learned for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

ExtremeChief
05-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Yep...120, 277, 480. It sucks. 277 hurts the worst. 480 will blow whatever you are holding out of your hands. I cut live 480 wires once because they were marked incorrectly in a breaker panel. Blew my strippers out of my hands, big bang and bright light. Hole about the size of a nickle in them.

It happens when you work with electricity constantly... even when you are careful.

Rain Man
I was in France on vacation about five years ago, and tried to plug in a laptop in a hotel room. I had a foreign adaptor on it, and something didn't work and I got zapped hard enough that it blew the breaker in the room. It stung pretty good for a few hours and I had to go down to the desk and get them to turn the power back on. I never did figure out what I did wrong, and I am now wary of French outlets.

When I was a kid (about six, I think) I was climbing around in the bread store where my mom worked, and I was hanging onto the electric cash register trying to reach the metal door as I made a "don't touch the floor" circuit around the store. I accidentally made a different circuit, and my mother actually had to push me clear because I couldn't let go. It burned both of my palms.

Gonzo
I think the word you're striving for is electrocuted. Getting "shocked" is too close to receiving "the shocker" dude.
Posted via Mobile Device

rockymtnchief
05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
More times than I care to admit.

JD10367
05-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Worked at the Museum of Science in Boston when some guy was in the electrical room and, whatever happened, it literally blew him out of the room. They heard his scream through half the building. :eek:

I work with some nice stuff. The arc-lamps for projectors need power rectifiers (basically, large AC adapters). The projection lamps in regular projectors are around 3,000 watts; in the IMAX projector, they're 15,000 watts... and there are two of them. So the rectifiers are a little bigger: they use arc-welders, look something like this:

http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/submerged-arc-welder-366017.jpg

When the lamps are at full power they supply 400 amps at around 35-40 volts. That would certainly crisp your testicles if something went wrong. :)

Ralphy Boy
05-03-2010, 05:14 PM
i had an electrical eel up my ass once. I passed out for 3 weeks. When I woke up they said it was the equivalent of 3000 V. True story.

reparuski

Ralphy Boy
05-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I can recall being a kid (4-5 years old) and playing with a nightlight that was plugged in in my grandparents basement. Sparks shot out of the outlet, it was pretty awesome.

A few months ago while changing and electrical switch it happened again. Friggin sweet!

chiefsfan93
05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Worked at the Museum of Science in Boston when some guy was in the electrical room and, whatever happened, it literally blew him out of the room. They heard his scream through half the building. :eek:

I work with some nice stuff. The arc-lamps for projectors need power rectifiers (basically, large AC adapters). The projection lamps in regular projectors are around 3,000 watts; in the IMAX projector, they're 15,000 watts... and there are two of them. So the rectifiers are a little bigger: they use arc-welders, look something like this:

http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/submerged-arc-welder-366017.jpg

When the lamps are at full power they supply 400 amps at around 35-40 volts. That would certainly crisp your testicles if something went wrong. :)

Thats cool,miller makes that what exactly is it? multible uses?

Reaper16
05-03-2010, 05:24 PM
There was this one time where the NFL team that I root for drafted a 5-technique with the 3rd overall pick.

crispystl
05-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Once in high school I was twisting around the electrical conduit, just bored as fuck anyways it shorted out and blew. My arm was numb for about an hour and there was a black spot on the wall the size of a kick ball. My friend got nailed by a 220 welder and one of his co-workers had to knock him away from it because he couldn't let go.

Hammock Parties
05-03-2010, 06:00 PM
I was pulling a cord out of a socket one day and I was doing it at a weird angle, so my finger came down on the metal connectors. I got this buzzing feeling in my finger, and I was like, huh, what's that? Then I realized I was being shocked.

Over-Head
05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Yep...pīss on an electric fence if ya wanna get shocked!
25yers later I can still recall with vivid color that night :eek:

Fansy the Famous Bard
05-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Tightening the mounting bracket of a generator battery..... slipped with the wrench... wrench still attached to the bracket nut came in contact with the terminal.

Blue arc, and hitting my head on the fender of a truck that was parked a good 15 feet away is all I remember after that.

Fritz88
05-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I think the word you're striving for is electrocuted. Getting "shocked" is too close to receiving "the shocker" dude.
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

mikeyis4dcats.
05-03-2010, 08:23 PM
yup, several times. Working construction does that to you.

And electrocution means you were killed, so no, that's not what he's striving for.

Over-Head
05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Oh, almost forgot getting my earing caught on a 220V stove line once. Had this kitchen where I had scaffolding real close to the wall, (once there it stayed put NO wheels) anyway, the overhang area, required me wiggling into a low spot around the scaffolding to climb up,,,,making a long story short, I dropped one of my taping knifes, and reaching down for on the floor up tight to the wall,. the scaffolding and said wall, I managed to tap my silver hoop ( I now only wear studs, 3 on my left ear btw) against a live 220V line

I don't know what hurt worse, the zap from my grounded out ear, or the lump on my head from beling blown into the damn scaffolding.??
Either way my painter said I was out cold for about 10 mins:doh!:all he heard was a "Kinda sounded like a pop gun boss dude" saw me flung around then slumped out cold.

Another time I hit a 220V line with the side of my stilt once, too bad my *private* area was pressed up against a stainless fridge I was half bent over trying to cut in a ceiling. In the stilt, out the dingelberryies....boy what a day I had after that :eek:

Luke
05-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I worked for a while as a traffic tech. I was a cabinet rat. wired up the boxes for stop lights. I used to get 110 spikes all the time. St. Louis County was the worst.

Bugeater
05-03-2010, 09:53 PM
I've been stung by 110 too many times to count. I got popped by something significantly stronger one time when I was trying to override the safety switch for a gate on a freight elevator, don't know what the voltage was but it sent my ass to the ground and I was dazed for a few minutes.

kcfanXIII
05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
while opening a pool, i was under a deck standing in ankle deep water. tried to flip a breaker to fire on the pump. arm was numb from the elbow down.:facepalm:

KCChiefsMan
05-03-2010, 10:35 PM
when I was about 13 years old I was stepping over an electric fence we had for our horses and I tripped and my lower leg got caught on the electric fence and it had to have been on my leg for at least 7-10 seconds, which is a long time for that shit. I had a strip of terrible burns, nothing serious enough to go to a doctor or anything, but it was a little bloody and it hurt like hell!