PDA

View Full Version : Life question about calling the us from mexico

seclark
05-04-2010, 08:16 AM
leaving for cancun in a couple days. taking mrs. sec down for our 30th wedding anniversary. never been there.

i've been told to purchase prepaid calling cards to call home, instead of using my cell. i know they can be purchased online, but since we're leaving in a couple days, i was hoping i could find them somewhere local.

any ideas?
tia,
sec

Dartgod
05-04-2010, 08:19 AM
I used my cell phone from Playa Del Carmen last year, no problems.

seclark
05-04-2010, 08:21 AM

do you remember how high the rates where? someone told me they were like $18 a minute.
thanks,
sec

ChiTown
05-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Yep

I use my cell in Mexico all the time. Now, I have a North American calling plan, so I don't know what your rates will be, but I don't have any problems with reception when I'm down there or in Canada.

seclark
05-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Yep

I use my cell in Mexico all the time. Now, I have a North American calling plan, so I don't know what your rates will be, but I don't have any problems with reception when I'm down there or in Canada.

hell, maybe i need to talk w/us cellular...
thanks chi,
sec

ChiTown
05-04-2010, 08:25 AM
hell, maybe i need to talk w/us cellular...
thanks chi,
sec

Yeah, I'd call your Cell provider and ask about their rates in Meheeco.

Whatever they are, enjoy your time away with the Mrs!:toast:

Gonzo
05-04-2010, 08:25 AM
You can get calling cards pretty much anywhere, I'd think. My local grocery store sells them, as does wal-mart.
Posted via Mobile Device

seclark
05-04-2010, 08:28 AM
You can get calling cards pretty much anywhere, I'd think. My local grocery store sells them, as does wal-mart.
Posted via Mobile Device

cool...this item has just moved from my "to do" list, to the wifes.:clap:
thanks,
sec

Dartgod
05-04-2010, 08:32 AM
do you remember how high the rates where? someone told me they were like $18 a minute.
thanks,
sec
I don't remember, but I know they weren't anywhere near that amount. $1.25 per minute or in that range through Sprint. I had to call them first to enable international calling and they told me the rate then.

EDIT: I just looked up the bill online and Sprint charged $1.69 per minute.

A1DonkKiller
05-04-2010, 08:49 AM
If you'll have a laptop with an internet connection, you can get a number with skype or buy a magicjack and it'll be a local number.

seclark
05-04-2010, 08:53 AM
If you'll have a laptop with an internet connection, you can get a number with skype or buy a magicjack and it'll be a local number.

thought about that, but don't really want to take the laptop w/me. to be honest, that's one of the things i want to get away from for a week.
thanks,
sec

boogblaster
05-04-2010, 08:54 AM
protect yourself .. its not the same down there ....

seclark
05-04-2010, 08:55 AM
protect yourself .. its not the same down there ....

i haven't worn a rubber in 30 years.
sec

HC_Chief
05-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Don't drink anything with ice in it unless you are at the resort. Definitely don't drink any water away from the resort unless it is bottled. Montezuma's Revenge is no fun.

ChiTown
05-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Don't drink anything with ice in it unless you are at the resort. Definitely don't drink any water away from the resort unless it is bottled. Montezuma's Revenge is no fun.

Also, no salad or "fresh vegetables" away from the resort. You stay with the stuff that has been cooked/fried/grilled/boiled etc.

DJJasonp
05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I went to Cancun a couple years ago (going back in September...woo hoo!).

Any hoo.......I have Sprint......I called them, told them I was going to be in Mexico for a week - they switched my plan to include INTL coverage (at no extra charge).

When I was back in the US - they switched it back (again, no charge).

Might be worth giving your carrier a call...

Dartgod
05-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I went to Cancun a couple years ago (going back in September...woo hoo!).

Any hoo.......I have Sprint......I called them, told them I was going to be in Mexico for a week - they switched my plan to include INTL coverage (at no extra charge).

When I was back in the US - they switched it back (again, no charge).

Might be worth giving your carrier a call...
You still have to pay the per minute charge.

ElGringo
05-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Okay, never been to cancun, but where I live calling cards are as easy to come by as anything. This might be because the pay phones do not accept anything else but the cards. They are really not that expensive, and very easy to find when you are here. I would question buying a calling card from the states, as most of them list a 1-800 number to dial to use it, and from mexico you can not call a 1-800 number in the states. But as I said, never been to Cancun and a resort town may be different.

vailpass
05-04-2010, 10:00 AM
1. Call your cell provider and see if you have service but even if you do be prepared for emergencies. This may sound hard to believe but cell towers in Mexico aren't always up and running.

2. If you need to make any phone calls while in Mexico buy an international phone card (like a Latadel card) at any market and use that from your hotel or pay phone. The phone system in Mexico is unregulated and if you use your home calling card (ie Sprint, AT&T, etc) you might end up with a surprisingly hefty phone bill. It's a totally unregulated system. So beware. If you need to make a call from your hotel room make sure you talk rates with the front desk first. Also make sure you buy the phone card once you're in Mexico. You can buy them at any shop, also ask your hotel desk where to get a Latadel card.

3. DONT USE A PAY PHONE IN MEXICO WITHOUT A LATADEL OR TELMEX CARD UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY
They will tell you it is $.90/minute + connection fee for the call and that is true. When you get home you will see the connection fee was $75.00 or so.
I made a 10 minute call from a Mexican payphone in a non-sober condition cuz I was too lazy to go grab my card. Had a bill for $98.00 for that call when I got my statement.

vailpass
05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Other Cancun stuff:

All inclusive is good.

Ride the crazy bus (city bus) into downtown during the day, take your wife shopping, back to the resort before or shortly after dark. Perricos is downtown, fun for a drink and a bite if you are into the kitchy type of thing which I am.

La Destileria if you want to try every good tequila there is plus excellent food in a beautiful setting.
http://www.ladestileria.com.mx/

Isla Mujeres is a small island just a short boat ride away. Very cool boat ride over the clearest waters in the world with cold mexican beers served the whole way. Shopping and eating once you get there. Nice way to spend half a day or so if you/wife are into that sort of thing. Sunscreen is your friend on this boat ride if you aren't already deeply tanned, the reflection sneaks up on you and will lobsterize a white guy (happened to me).
http://www.mycancuntours.com/tours/isla-mujeres-tour.asp