PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Phillies fan gets tazered - while running on the field

OnTheWarpath15
05-04-2010, 10:24 AM
http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/talk-of-the-day/talk-of-the-day/2010/05/did-police-go-too-far-by-tasering-a-fan/

If you were watching the St. Louis Cardinals play the Philadelphia Phillies last night, you didn’t see this. If you watched almost any news show or checked out YouTube, you did.

A fan ran onto the field last night, disrupting the game and waving a towel. Television didn’t show the fan, but it did show Cardinal players who looked amused by the whole situation. Police did not find it as funny. As the fan scampered about the field, eluding stadium workers and police officers, one cop decided to get out his Taser.

The fan went down in a pile.

(UPDATE: The Philadelphia police said this morning that the officer acted appropriately in using his Taser on the suspect.)

The fan, by the way, was a 17-year-old male. Police said he will be charged with criminal trespass. His name is not being released, although I would wager he’s well-known in Philadelphia this morning.

What do you think of the police response? Did the officer go too far or handle it the right way? Yes, the fan disrupted the game. But he certainly paid a price, getting a Taser shot to the back. (At least, it looked like the back. Hard to tell.) And what about the TV policy of not showing a fan who runs onto the field of play? Is that fruitless, given the fact you can go to YouTube or most any news channel and see the whole thing?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/riCu3LJOgmk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/riCu3LJOgmk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Agree or disagree with the tazering, that's a pretty good shot to hit a moving target with a tazer, IMO.

seclark
05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
zap 'em
beats singing "take me out to the ball game" during the 7th inning stretch.
sec

Bwana
05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
LMAO

Nice head plant Jr.

allen_kcCard
05-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Taze, then antifreeze, imo.

loochy
05-04-2010, 10:31 AM
The dumbass got what he deserved. Suckit.

seclark
05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
you break the law when you jump on the field.
you break the law when you run from security.

zap 'em, then kick 'em in the nuts.
sec

Mr. Flopnuts
05-04-2010, 10:34 AM
They tried to catch him, it was obvious he wasn't going to quit running. Justified AFAIC.

jspchief
05-04-2010, 10:35 AM
IMO dumbasses aren't tazered often enough.

philfree
05-04-2010, 10:36 AM
The cop was a fat pig who couldn't have caught that that guy no matter how long they ran around the field. The cop should suspened and forced to do Silocks works tll he can actually run.

PhilFree:arrow:

jspchief
05-04-2010, 10:37 AM
This dumbass kid will be bragging about getting tazered to his buddies. Acting like he's a victim is a joke.

Delano
05-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Don't most taser guns have laser sights or whatever? Should be an easy shot since the kid wasn't zig-zagging like an impala.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikey23545
05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the big leagues, dumb f#ck...

Dartgod
05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Don't most taser guns have laser sights or whatever? Should be an easy shot since the kid wasn't zig-zagging like an impala.
Posted via Mobile Device
Serpentine! Serpentine!

bowener
05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't really care that they tazed him, but I don't understand why Ballparks don't make this more fun for the fans and humiliating for the people "tresspassing".

Honestly, I think they should have a team prepped and trained, perhaps topflight athletes who couldn't cut it on pro teams, and give them nets and poles like they use to catch violent dogs. Chase down the trespasser(s) and net them or lasso them, then drag them off kicking and screaming in the net, hook it to a hoist and literally hoist them over the wall and into a cage on the back of a truck and then drive them slowly by fans (hoping they will throw shit at them). Maybe the use of water cannons would stop people a little more often as well. Either way they need to make it effective AND entertaining, I mean the people already paid to get into the game, they might as well get a laugh out of the interruptions.

Oh, I just realized they should have the team be horse mounted or ATV mounted, then they could net them and drag them at a high rate of speed!

edit:

It could even be team specific. The Chiefs/Texans/Cowboys could have horse mounted people dressed in cowboy garb lasso them like they are cattle, hogtie them, then carry them off the field... much better!

I guess teams like the lions/jags/panthers could use starved big cats that have been de-clawed or something.... that would be fucking epic!

CaliforniaChief
05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
The moment you cross that line you lose the right to control how you're apprehended, as far as I'm concerned...barring lethal force of course.

philfree
05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
This dumbass kid will be bragging about getting tazered to his buddies. Acting like he's a victim is a joke.

I think it was BS. Where was that guy go gonna go? He wasn't going to get away he was pretty much locked in the stadium. You could tell by the cops posture that he was so excited to get to use his taser. I might be in the minority here but it wasn't justified. Nobody was in danger and the guy wasn't getting away. Uncalled for by the fat cop.

KCUnited
Tasers, who needs to be in shape to work security?

Sure-Oz
He deserved it, if this was football someone would've tackled him, and that would feel about the same.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Considering that he was a Philly fan, they should have shot him in the fucking head after they tazed him.

Bwana
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
I might be in the minority here but it wasn't justified.

I would say that's a safe bet.

Pablo
05-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Considering that he was a Philly fan, they should have shot him in the ****ing head after they tazed him.I would have been fine with an air raid on the entire ballpark to be honest.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-04-2010, 10:53 AM
I think it was BS. Where was that guy go gonna go? He wasn't going to get away he was pretty much locked in the stadium. You could tell by the cops posture that he was so excited to get to use his taser. I might be in the minority here but it wasn't justified. Nobody was in danger and the guy wasn't getting away. Uncalled for by the fat cop.

They should have hit him in the head with some D batteries and shined a laser pointer in his eyes while throwing beer on his 12 year old daughter.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
To be perfectly honest, if the United States is to suffer another major terrorist attack and it hits a sporting venue, I can think of no better place and time than a Cowboys-Eagles game at the Linc.

Pablo
They should have hit him in the head with some D batteries and shined a laser pointer in his eyes while throwing beer on his 12 year old daughter.Damn, kids are starting early these days.

OnTheWarpath15
They should have hit him in the head with some D batteries and shined a laser pointer in his eyes while <del>throwing beer</del> purposely vomiting on his 12 year old daughter.

FYP.

(That did just happen in Philly, didn't it?)

Mr. Flopnuts
05-04-2010, 10:56 AM
FYP.

Where else but the asshole of America? Oakland being the armpit of course.

Bwana
FYP.

Yes it did.

Pablo
To be perfectly honest, if the United States is to suffer another major terrorist attack and it hits a sporting venue, I can think of no better place and time than a Cowboys-Eagles game at the Linc.I don't even think there would be any of the rally around the flag nonsense in that instance. Just high-fiving in the streets.

'Hamas' Jenkins
That's right, he barfed on her.

I could think of nothing better than Woodchipper Night at Citizens Bank Park.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-04-2010, 10:57 AM
That's right, he barfed on her.

I could think of nothing better than Woodchipper Night at Citizens Bank Park.

LMAO

Garcia Bronco
05-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Without looking at the vid, and it wouldn't change my mind, he got the business he so richly desired.

Mr. Laz
05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
The guard was too fat and out-of-shape to catch him

once again the tazer gets used because of a "lack" of the user rather than some hideous crime.

cop loses his temper against old lady ........ taz
cop is a fat tub of shit and had too many donuts and is about to have a heart attack ... taz
cop is an arrogant asshole and just like to inflict pain ..... taz

better than a gun, at least.

jspchief
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM

once again the tazer gets used because of a "lack" of the user rather than some hideous crime.

cop is a fat tub of shit and had too many donuts and is about to have a heart attack ... taz

better than a gun, at least.So, cops have an obligation to be athletic so they can bust punks in a more gentle manner?

Once again, the criminal is the victim.

Duck Dog
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I love it. Watching assholes get the juice never gets old.

Frazod
05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
So that's what Molina thought was so funny. LMAO

The Franchise
05-04-2010, 11:20 AM

better than a gun, at least.

Dumb ass fan jumps onto the field and acts like an idiot........tazE

Rain Man
05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Seems like a win-win to me. The jerk on the field wanted to make the fans laugh, and they probably thought it was hilarious to see him get tasered. In fact, it would have made America's Funniest Home Videos if they had nailed him in the groin.

Mr. Laz
05-04-2010, 11:26 AM
So, cops have an obligation to be athletic so they can bust punks in a more gentle manner?

Once again, the criminal is the victim.
this punk was a good student(apparently by reports) who was getting ready to attend college who was just being a silly kid. He was running around in circles ... he wasn't trying to hurt anyone.

maybe if that fat POS cop could turn down a donut once in awhile he could do his job better.

thank goodness he's a rent-a-cop and not the real thing ... i would hate to have to place my life in his hands in a real life and death situation.

The Franchise
05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
this punk was a good student(apparently by reports) who was getting ready to attend college who was just being a silly kid. He was running around in circles ... he wasn't trying to hurt anyone.

maybe if that fat POS cop could turn down a donut once in awhile he could do his job better.

thank goodness he's a rent-a-cop and not the real thing ... i would hate to have to place my life in his hands in a real life and death situation.

:spock:

seclark
05-04-2010, 11:31 AM

fat cop did his job just fine. out of all the people chasing the stupid kid, he was the one that stopped him.

no one's fault but the kid. had he stayed off the field, it would have just been a baseball game and some random battery chucking.
sec

Brock
05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I think a sniper with a bean bag gun would be more effective.

KCUnited
05-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Mall Cop II: Killadelphia.

Rain Man
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM
I think a sniper with a bean bag gun would be more effective.

Bunch of dobermans would be cool, too. Don't even arrest him. Just ignore him and it's his responibility to get off the field. Play resumes around him.

Simply Red
05-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Considering that he was a Philly fan, they should have shot him in the ****ing head after they tazed him.

th^t,

phuck the phillies.

HemiEd
05-04-2010, 11:41 AM
LMAO off at the people that think this punk is the victim.

How many people were in the ball park? He stole time from everyone of them.

Maybe he is just mis-understood and needs counciling.

1ChiefsDan
05-04-2010, 11:42 AM
One of my old college roomates did this at the K many years ago. His boss dared him to do it and offered to pay all the fines. They caught him, drug him off the field and beat the crap out of him in the tunnel.
He was charged with endangering the life of an athlete or some crap like that. All told ended up costing his boss about $1500.

alnorth
05-04-2010, 11:43 AM
this punk was a good student

Irrelevant, in this situation he's basically resisting arrest while running from the cops. It doesn't matter that he's in a stadium where he cant escape, we have no obligation to wait for him to get tired and give up.

Tazing him is absolutely, completely, 100% justifiable.

BigRedChief
05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
We all have some fun with this and when some drunk fan gets out and runs around the field. We laugh and call him a dumbass etc.

but what if one time they were out to harm some player? Ya never know. Now, this time he wasn't trying to get to a player or make threaning moves towards a player so I don't know about the use of a tazer but I won't fault the fat cop for using it. But, If a drunken fan runs towards a player then I'll all for tazering and asking questions later.

We already had a Royals coach attacked. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

What if some Cubs fan decides to jump over the stands and trys to take out Pujols with a bat to the knee or something?

Mr. Laz
05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
LMAO off at the people that think this punk is the victim.

How many people were in the ball park? He stole time from everyone of them.

Maybe he is just mis-understood and needs counciling.
pussification of america continues

pretty soon anyone that doesn't cover their mouth when they cough will be consider a felon.

they charged the kid with like 3 different crimes too ... which is just beyond stupid.

Brock
05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
I put it in the same category with people who blab and text on their phone during movies. Yes, they should be tazed too.

jspchief
05-04-2010, 11:47 AM

thank goodness he's a rent-a-cop and not the real thing ... i would hate to have to place my life in his hands in a real life and death situation.I don't know about where you live, but good grades don't excuse that crap where I am. Even if you're doing it to have fun.

And you make it sound like the tazing ruined his future.

I'm sorry the law broke up your meth ring, but that doesn't mean we should be allowed to do whatever we want when faced with out of shape policemen.

The Franchise
05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
pussification of america continues

pretty soon anyone that doesn't cover their mouth when they cough will be consider a felon.

they charged the kid with like 3 different crimes too ... which is just beyond stupid.

Pussification of America?

He broke a law. He didn't stop. He got tazed.

I'm pretty sure he got what the fuck he deserved.

Lzen
05-04-2010, 11:51 AM

How would anyone have known that he was just a good student and not trying to hurt anyone? He broke the law and got tazed. He is not a victim. Hopefully, he got that out of his system and learned a valuable lesson.

Lzen
05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Seems like a win-win to me. The jerk on the field wanted to make the fans laugh, and they probably thought it was hilarious to see him get tasered. In fact, it would have made America's Funniest Home Videos if they had nailed him in the groin.

I don't think the Philly fans were laughing. I heard some boos.

seclark
05-04-2010, 11:53 AM

they boo everything.
sec

Lzen
05-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I put it in the same category with people who blab and text on their phone during movies. Yes, they should be tazed too.

I like where you're going with this.

Brock for President!

Rain Man
05-04-2010, 12:06 PM
this punk was a good student

He didn't do so well in electrical engineering.

Rain Man
05-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Yeah, but those were from the people who wanted gunfire.

PunkinDrublic
05-04-2010, 12:20 PM
How did Philly devolve from the city of Ben Franklin into some of the most subhuman pieces of shit in any society?

Buck
05-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Does nobody here remember Gamboa? JFC I'm ok with using any less than lethal force when a dumbass runs on the field.

Johnny Vegas
05-04-2010, 12:37 PM
seems justified to me. even tho security did just fine without tasers in the past.

Bwana
05-04-2010, 08:51 PM
http://col.stb.s-msn.com/i/58/9D26BFC463498202738D7F65BB60.jpg

JD10367
05-04-2010, 09:03 PM
He deserved it, if this was football someone would've tackled him, and that would feel about the same.

I don't remember which game and which player but, during a Patriots game, there was some yahoo running around on field and one of the players very casually hit the guy with a shoulder and knocked him on his ass, LOL.

Jerm
05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
They should've harpooned that douche...what a fucking moron.

Apparently another dumbass ran on the field tonight, brilliant.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-04-2010, 09:15 PM
LMAO That's probably the best Hamas quote of all time.

And fuck this kid. Run around and evade fat cops, you end up getting tazed bro!

Ebolapox
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
fucking moron.

HotRoute
05-04-2010, 09:40 PM
that was a helluva shot by that cop, nailed a fast moving target while running, props to the cop that guy was having too much fun running from those guys until .. . . . . . ZAPPP.

ROFL

chefsos
05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
http://stores.fhsportscards.com/catalog/Mike%20Curtis%208x10%20Silver%20Ink.jpg

KcMizzou
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
that was a helluva shot by that cop, nailed a fast moving target while running, props to the cop that guy was having too much fun running from those guys until .. . . . . . ZAPPP.

ROFLLMAO

Awesome. The jackass earned it, IMO.

notorious
05-04-2010, 09:52 PM
They should just taze the that whole fucking stadium and fill it to the upper deck with antifreeze.

Fuck Philadelphia and their douchebag fanbase.

Consistent1
05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Don't think you need to look at the kid as a victim to think tazing him wasn't necessary.It's not a huge mistake on the part of the guy who tazed him at all.Just probably really wasn't truly needed in this instance.I'd think a supervisor would be real hesitant to honestly pat the dude on the back for making a big public spectacle of an ignorant teen.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCChiefsMan
05-04-2010, 10:26 PM
don't be a dumbasss and you won't get taserd. More people should be tasered, or beat down a bit.

Hoover
05-04-2010, 10:36 PM
If they had KC Wolf they wouldn't need a taser.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOofejdChSg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOofejdChSg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OnTheWarpath15
05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Jesus fuck, it happened AGAIN. (Minus the tazering)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5163448

PHILADELPHIA -- A 34-year-old man ran onto the field during the Cardinals-Phillies game Tuesday night and was apprehended without incident, a day after a teenager was Tasered in the outfield at Citizens Bank Park.

Security did not use a Taser to stop the latest fan on the field. Police said the man from Warminster was charged with defiant trespass, disorderly conduct and narcotics possession.

The Philadelphia Phillies were leading St. Louis 1-0 in the top of the ninth inning when a guy hopped over the fence in left field and ran along the warning track waving his arms. The sellout crowd booed and he was soon captured.

In Monday night's game, a police officer chased 17-year-old Steve Consalvi for about 30 seconds before the stun gun probe hit the teenager.

City police are considering whether officers should get involved when unruly but nonthreatening fans sprint onto the field during sporting events.

Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey examined video of the arrest and felt the officer acted within department guidelines, which allow officers to use Tasers to arrest fleeing suspects, said police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore. The department's internal affairs unit is investigating, Vanore said.

The department is now reviewing whether its officers should be on the field wrangling runaway fans who aren't threatening anyone, Vanore said.

Cyanide Capsule Night isn't good enough for these fucks.

KCChiefsMan
05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
I bet he wishes he would have read this article:

Former Royals coach beaten by fans hopes Taser curbs violence on baseball diamond.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/05/former-royals-coach-beaten-by-fans-hopes-taser-curbs-violence-on-baseball-diamond/1

It's too late to save Tom Gamboa's hearing in his right ear.
It won't stop the horrifying incident that still causes nightmares when he was attacked on the field in 2002 at U.S. Cellular when he was first base coach of the Kansas City Royals.
But maybe, just maybe, this is a wake-up call for every fan who's foolish enough to run on the field.
"I just wish, like everybody else, that the only place for fans is in the stands,'' Gamboa told USA TODAY in a telephone interview while playing golf in San Luis Obispo, Calif. "I'm glad I didn't se it. It would have brought back bad memories.''
Yet, when Gamboa, 62, was apprised that a taser gun was used, he is hopeful that this will deter others.
"I would think so,'' Gamboa says. "My God, if shock treatment is allowed in. ... I have to believe if a kid knew he was going to get Tasered, he wouldn't have gone on the field."
Major League players interviewed by USA TODAY concurred. They hate the idea that fans run onto the field with little consequence. My God, when Gamboa was attacked by a father-son tag team, they never served a day in jail.
He was slammed to the ground by a bare-chested father, his son pummeled him, and a pocket knife fell from their pocket.
"I felt like a football team had hit me from behind,'' Gamboa says. "Next thing I knew, I'm on the ground trying to defend myself., It just happened so fast."
The father, identified by police as 34-year-old William Ligue Jr., and his 15-year-old son were led off the field in handcuffs. They were charged with aggravated battery. And the duo got abusolutley nothing but probation.
"It sent a poor message to the public,'' Gamboa says. "My fear is should this happen again to another player, coach or manager in any sport. There's been a precedent set that I think is a bad one.''
Major League players interviewed by USA TODAY concurred with Gamboa. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Taser gun if it delivers the intended message.
"I like the whole Taser thing,'' Milwaukee Brewers reliever LaTroy Hawkins told USA TODAY. "It keeps them off the field. It certainly gives them something to think about."
Says Texas Rangers All-Star third baseman Michael Young: "Fans have the right to buy a ticket, cheer, boo, eat a hot dog, etc. But ever since the Kansas City-White Sox game, they need to realize it's not cool to come on the field. They are not welcome down there."
Then again, says Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Augie Ojeda: "Hopefully it will stop them. But they might want to sue the cops."
By Bob Nightengale

Sure-Oz
05-04-2010, 10:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG8nYtDkkqE

a little after the 1 min mark

Mr. Flopnuts
05-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Security did not use a Taser to stop the latest fan on the field. Police said the man from Warminster was charged with defiant trespass, disorderly conduct and narcotics possession.

:spock: How fuckin' stupid can someone be? Running onto the field with drugs in your pocket? That's borderline Darwin worthy, and this dumbass lived.