PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto I have defeated the Johnson County Appraiser's Office

BWillie
05-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I got them to lower my appraised value of my house by $13,000. Bastards tried to f*ck me. I wonder how much in property tax that'll save me

LetsSignRussell
05-04-2010, 10:21 PM
you da man

Ebolapox
05-04-2010, 10:54 PM
grats.

rambleonthruthefog
05-04-2010, 11:05 PM
i contested mine last year after they went up the max amount 2years in a row, and they lowered my appraised value by 8K. this year they lowered it another 2K without me even asking.

BWillie
05-04-2010, 11:10 PM
i contested mine last year after they went up the max amount 2years in a row, and they lowered my appraised value by 8K. this year they lowered it another 2K without me even asking.

I just found a comparable that A) had more square footage than my house B) a larger basement than my house C) a larger yard. I was expecting them to quote me about what that house was, but they dropped it even $7,000 less than that, at exactly what I purchased my house at. I might have got lucky because this comparable was literally three houses away.

BWillie
05-04-2010, 11:12 PM
I think it's only going to end up me saving $15 a month, but hey, what the hell. I don't like it when the government tries to shove an eel up my ass

CaliforniaChief
05-04-2010, 11:56 PM
It's the one thing that makes you feel slightly less than ready to slit your wrist when you realize how far your property values fell. Nice work!

cookster50
05-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Way to stick it to Obama!

RedNFeisty
05-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Pretty common really. Everyone should keep an eye on the appraised value because the county always tires to jack up the value, it gives them more money and they know most people do not pay attention.

gblowfish
05-05-2010, 08:39 AM
You mean you're happy that your property is now worth less?
Why do you live in Johnson County?

SenselessChiefsFan
05-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Pretty common really. Everyone should keep an eye on the appraised value because the county always tires to jack up the value, it gives them more money and they know most people do not pay attention.

Well, it used to be that they were pretty much in line with the market. In fact, most times, they were under value by 5% on average.

But, they kept the milage rate the same..... so, as property values rose, they got more and more money... and figured out what to spend it on.

Then, when the real estate market crashed... they can't just go out and drop all the values, because that will decrease revenues and leave their bloated budget unfunded.

Everyone should definitely keep an eye on it.

kepp
05-05-2010, 09:12 AM

Yep. This happened to us a few years ago. We just happened to notice it because we were in the middle of a refi at the time and had to get the house appraised. The county over-appraised it by nearly $30K!

BWillie
05-05-2010, 02:40 PM
You mean you're happy that your property is now worth less?
Why do you live in Johnson County?

If I was planning on selling my house, I probably would have let it be. I'm not happy my property is worth less, but I don't want to get taxed at something way above it is. It's the principle of the issue. They appraised it exactly what I bought it for...which is less than what it was appraised at when I bought it.

Lzen
05-05-2010, 03:03 PM
If I was planning on selling my house, I probably would have let it be. I'm not happy my property is worth less, but I don't want to get taxed at something way above it is. It's the principle of the issue. They appraised it exactly what I bought it for...which is less than what it was appraised at when I bought it.

Heck, if you were planning to sell your house, you would probably have an appraiser do it rather than trust the county anyway.

ferrarispider95
05-05-2010, 03:12 PM
County appraisals mean jack. They set them to the value a house is sold at and then they generally raise/lower with the rest of the neighborhood. They can be all over the place with people buying in the peak and now people picking off foreclosures.

All they care about is that they have enough money to cover the deficit. Think about this, if they do lower all the values, expect the mill levy to go up to compensate for the shortfall. They will screw you one way or another.