PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 1998 Jets... 2010 Chiefs

Coogs
05-05-2010, 07:26 AM
I watched the 1998 Jets @ 49ers game on NFLNetworks Greatest Games a couple of nights ago. And I couldn't help but wonder if that offense may not be the basic blueprint of how this team is going to designed. Which, BTW, is not a bad thing at all.

Haley was the WR's coach, Weis was the OC.

Foley QB'ed that particular game, but Vinney T was the QB for 13 games that season. Curtis Martin was the RB. Keyshawn was one WR. Crebet was the other. Dedric Ward was the third option.

It kind of seems like talent wise, the make up is going to be similar. And that offense was pretty darn effective... and fairly fun to watch at least in that game against the 49ers.

Mr_Tomahawk
05-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch....

Deberg_1990
05-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Was that the game where Foley threw for like 400 yards?

Bwana
05-05-2010, 07:32 AM
We are still at least a draft away from making an impact, but we are headed in the right direction IMHO.

OnTheWarpath15
05-05-2010, 07:38 AM
The make up will definitely be similar, and this team will have to score the 26 PPG the Jets averaged that season to have a chance, as bad as this defense is. I just don't think they'll be anywhere near as effective as the 98 Jets were. And it all starts at QB.

I think if you look at Vinny's numbers for that season, expect similar yardage for Cassel - expect nothing resembling the TD/INT numbers and the sack totals.

There's no way in hell Cassel comes anywhere near 29/7, and he'll be sacked more than 19 times, just because he holds the ball so damn long.

I wouldn't expect two 1000 yard WR's either.

Bane
05-05-2010, 07:40 AM
:facepalm:

Dave Lane
05-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I disagree to a limited extent. I think our largest defensive fa is Crennel. I think he could coach up what was already here and with Berry and Arenas the secondary should be improved from a talent aspect as well.

mcaj22
05-05-2010, 07:45 AM
OH MY GOD DAVE MEGGETT WAS ON THAT TEAM WE HAVE THE REINCARNATION IN DEXTER McCLUNKER WE ARE DESTINED TO BE THE 1998 JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coogs
05-05-2010, 07:45 AM
The make up will definitely be similar, and this team will have to score the 26 PPG the Jets averaged that season to have a chance, as bad as this defense is. I just don't think they'll be anywhere near as effective as the 98 Jets were. And it all starts at QB.

I think if you look at Vinny's numbers for that season, expect similar yardage for Cassel - expect nothing resembling the TD/INT numbers and the sack totals.

There's no way in hell Cassel comes anywhere near 29/7, and he'll be sacked more than 19 times, just because he holds the ball so damn long.

I wouldn't expect two 1000 yard WR's either.

I'm not expecting miracles this season. I do see us pushing towards 8-8. But I couldn't help wondering if that offense is what is the basis of what we are trying to do here... give or take a little bit.

Coogs
05-05-2010, 07:46 AM
:facepalm:

Fuck off! I don't thread every single thread here.

Coogs
05-05-2010, 07:47 AM
I disagree to a limited extent. I think our largest defensive fa is Crennel. I think he could coach up what was already here and with Berry and Arenas the secondary should be improved from a talent aspect as well.

I didn't say defense. They ran a 4-3, and RC was the D-line coach that season.

Coogs
05-05-2010, 07:48 AM
OH MY GOD DAVE MEGGETT WAS ON THAT TEAM WE HAVE THE REINCARNATION IN DEXTER McCLUNKER WE ARE DESTINED TO BE THE 1998 JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meggett only returned a few punts and kickoffs for that team.

Garcia Bronco
05-05-2010, 07:50 AM
I watched the 1998 Jets @ 49ers game on NFLNetworks Greatest Games a couple of nights ago. And I couldn't help but wonder if that offense may not be the basic blueprint of how this team is going to designed. Which, BTW, is not a bad thing at all.

Foley QB'ed that particular game, but Vinney T was the QB for 13 games that season. Curtis Martin was the RB. Keyshawn was one WR. Crebet was the other. Dedric Ward was the third option.

It kind of seems like talent wise, the make up is going to be similar. And that offense was pretty darn effective... and fairly fun to watch at least in that game against the 49ers.

And they got beat by the Broncos in the AFC Championship game after being up 10-0 in the first half. They didn't score another point.

Bane
05-05-2010, 07:51 AM
And they got beat by the Broncos in the AFC Championship game after being up 10-0 in the first half. They didn't score another point.

:thumb:
This team will be nothing like the 98 Jets come Sept,much like its nothing like it now.....:shake:

OnTheWarpath15
05-05-2010, 07:54 AM

Yeah, it's not the kind of offense that usually results in playoff wins. We know all about it.

They were fortunate to win the game against Jacksonville that year - they caught them at the right time, the Jags defense was leaking oil at the end of the year - gave up 50 to Minnesota.

mcaj22
05-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Meggett only returned a few punts and kickoffs for that team.

haha I was only kidding but god damn looking at the roster for this team is Dedric Ward still even a coach for us? I also see Richie Anderson as a FB doesn't he coach our TEs? What kind of ass backwards crap is this when Haley needs staff does he just call up guys and pluck them from the 1998 Jets roster? Like he has the roster of this team in his office and whenever he needs something to be filled he throws a dart at it and the name the dart lands on wins. Maybe he should call Mo Lewis to come coach our shitty linebackers.

milkman
05-05-2010, 07:57 AM
I don't see it.

Testaverde was a pocket passer with decent arm strength and accuracy, who could make reads.

Curtis Martinn was a between the tackles RB who didn't have a lot of speed.

I expect Weis to use the shotgun spread alot this year, because that is the only offense which offers Cassel any hope for any kind of success.

It limits his reads to just a couple and has him getting the ball out quicker than a pro set.

Funny thing is, it will look much like the offense that Gailey would have trotted out there last year, which got him fired.

But Weis will be given a lot more leeway to build the offense the way he sees fit.

Garcia Bronco
05-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Yeah, it's not the kind of offense that usually results in playoff wins. We know all about it.

They were fortunate to win the game against Jacksonville that year - they caught them at the right time, the Jags defense was leaking oil at the end of the year - gave up 50 to Minnesota.

It was a good team. I think the AFC was very weak that year.

OnTheWarpath15
05-05-2010, 07:58 AM
haha I was only kidding but god damn looking at the roster for this team is Dedric Ward still even a coach for us? I also see Richie Anderson as a FB doesn't he coach our TEs? What kind of ass backwards crap is this when Haley needs staff does he just call up guys and pluck them from the 1998 Jets roster? Like he has the roster of this team in his office and whenever he needs something to be filled he throws a dart at it and the name the dart lands on wins. Maybe he should call Mo Lewis to come coach our shitty linebackers.

I'm all for bringing in Mo Lewis to re-arrange Cassel's internal organs like he did Drew Bledsoe's.

Bane
05-05-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm all for bringing in Mo Lewis to re-arrange Cassel's internal organs like he did Drew Bledsoe's.

:clap:

mcaj22
05-05-2010, 08:00 AM

Would be the first step in putting this team in the right direction lol.

HotRoute
05-05-2010, 08:04 AM
I watched that game as well and if we can play that well, which I think we can we will be decent this year.

Coogs
05-05-2010, 08:06 AM
:thumb:
This team will be nothing like the 98 Jets come Sept,much like its nothing like it now.....:shake:

I'd say on offense we are a lot closer to that teams talent than you would want to claim.

Coogs
05-05-2010, 08:12 AM
I don't see it.

Testaverde was a pocket passer with decent arm strength and accuracy, who could make reads.

Curtis Martinn was a between the tackles RB who didn't have a lot of speed.

I expect Weis to use the shotgun spread alot this year, because that is the only offense which offers Cassel any hope for any kind of success.

It limits his reads to just a couple and has him getting the ball out quicker than a pro set.

Funny thing is, it will look much like the offense that Gailey would have trotted out there last year, which got him fired.

But Weis will be given a lot more leeway to build the offense the way he sees fit.

Charles vs Martin would be a major difference in style. But they did play action a lot in that game... which the Chiefs did quite a bit down the stretch last season.

And yes, all offenses have evolved to more shotgun spreads. That would be the give or take a bit part I was referring to.

milkman
05-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Charles vs Martin would be a major difference in style. But they did play action a lot in that game... which the Chiefs did quite a bit down the stretch last season.

And yes, all offenses have evolved to more shotgun spreads. That would be the give or take a bit part I was referring to.

In case you didn't notice, Cassel struggled even more down the stretch, when the rest of the team actually began to improve.

His footwork and decision making out of a pro set are terrible, and it suffers even more when making a play fake.

And I'm not talking about the natural evolution to the shotgun spread.

I'm talking about seeing the shotgun spread as our base offense for over 60% of plays out of necessity, because that hides Cassel's deficiencies as a QB.

Pablo
05-05-2010, 08:19 AM
The KC metro area would most definitely see a spike in births around the beginning of November that year.

"This is my first-born, Jacob Brandon Flowers Smith".

OnTheWarpath15
05-05-2010, 08:20 AM
The KC metro area would most definitely see a spike in births around the beginning of November that year.

"This is my first-born, Jacob Brandon Flowers Smith".

Thought you were in the SB thread, eh?

Coogs
05-05-2010, 08:23 AM
In case you didn't notice, Cassel struggled even more down the stretch, when the rest of the team actually began to improve.

His footwork and decision making out of a pro set are terrible, and it suffers even more when making a play fake.

And I'm not talking about the natural evolution to the shotgun spread.

I'm talking about seeing the shotgun spread as our base offense for over 60% of plays out of necessity, because that hides Cassel's deficiencies as a QB.

I agree. But last season the offense really had no identity... until late when the play action started to work based off of the threat of Charles. Now we have a full offseason for players to get in tune with each other, as I see the roste being very much more set this season than the revolving door that we saw last season. CW will have that full offseason to work with Cassel, and hopefully help him evolve as a QB who can work out of both scenarios... under center and out of the shotgun.

mcaj22
05-05-2010, 08:26 AM
If Cassel doesn't improve the season (and team) is doomed

if Cassel does improve, than there will be improvement across the board at all positions imo.

I saw a lot of improvement play last season, but it was still hampered by Cassel staying the same or getting worse, if that's the case for this upcoming season, the Chiefs need to cut their loses asap.

Pablo
05-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Thought you were in the SB thread, eh?Possibly.

Coogs
05-05-2010, 08:28 AM
If Cassel doesn't improve the season (and team) is doomed

if Cassel does improve, than there will be improvement across the board at all positions imo.

I saw a lot of improvement play last season, but it was still hampered by Cassel staying the same or getting worse, if that's the case for this upcoming season, the Chiefs need to cut their loses asap.

Talk about a repost.

philfree
05-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Way back when we first hired Weis I was doing some reading and realized that was his offense and I was excited about it. I'm not sure how that offense compares to what he ran in NE but I can see us run a semblance of it here with the guys we have. If our O line additions pan out we could have a decent O.

PhilFree:arrow:

Coogs
05-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Way back whne we first hired Weis I was doing some reading and realized that was his offense and I was excited about it. I'm not sure how that offense compares to what he ran in NE but I can see us run a semblance of it here with the guys we have. If our O line additions pan out we could have a decent O.

I guess I am drawing the same parallels as you. Of course there will be the additions of the changes that have happend over the years, but I wonder if that offesne is what the baseline for this team is going to be.

Air-Coryell (sp), the West Coast, and other offenses are the base offenses of many teams still to this day. Not down to every single play, but the base of an offense none the less. I'm thinking this offense is going to be our basic offense.

philfree
05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I guess I am drawing the same parallels as you. Of course there will be the additions of the changes that have happend over the years, but I wonder if that offesne is what the baseline for this team is going to be.

Air-Coryell (sp), the West Coast, and other offenses are the base offenses of many teams still to this day. Not down to every single play, but the base of an offense none the less. I'm thinking this offense is going to be our basic offense.

I'm sure Weis ran the same offense in NY and NE it's just a matter of him running plays out of it based on the personnel he had with each team. I don't think either one of those teams had a speed combo like Charles and McCkluster though so this should interesting and hopefully exciting.

Micjones
05-05-2010, 09:38 AM
That offense was pretty efficient.
They were Top 5 in the league.

I don't expect that kind of efficiency with this offense though I do think it's capable of producing better than it did one year prior.

21 points a game is reasonable.

OnTheWarpath15
05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
That offense was pretty efficient.
They were Top 5 in the league.

I don't expect that kind of efficiency with this offense though I do think it's capable of producing better than it did one year prior.

21 points a game is reasonable.

IIRC, they averaged 21 or 22 PPG once Charles was inserted into the lineup, so I fully expect more than that.

No excuses.