PDA

View Full Version : Poop What is the worst major professional sports team name?

jAZ
05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I just saw that Michael Jordan (new owner of the Charlotte Bobcats) might change the name of the team.

I always thought that the team name kinda sucked. Just kinda generic and small.

In reading the article, I realized that the Bobcat's first owner was Bob Johnson.

Which explains why he picked the name in the first place. And it makes the name suck that much more, IMO.

So it's surely not the worst name in pro-sports, so if not, what is?

RJ
05-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Utah Jazz.

Utah ain't jazzy.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 03:36 PM
The worst name = Broncos
Runner Up = Raiders
Honorable Mention = Chargers

Rain Man
05-05-2010, 03:38 PM
At least they weren't the Charlotte Johnsons.

KCrockaholic
It's not the worst but I always thought "Cardinals" was a pretty weak name.

teedubya
The Kansas City Wiz.

jAZ
05-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Utah Jazz.

Utah ain't jazzy.

Not a bad name for New Orleans, but terrible in Utah, no doubt. Should have done the Raven thing and treat it as a new brand all together.

ModSocks
It has to be the Browns. No way that can be topped.

evolve27
Arena Football League-Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz

Chiefburger
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
i never understood why a team in electricity-low Cali would be called the chargers. How does that make sense and, furthermore, what does 'Chargers' mean? A raging bull? A environmentally-friendly battery pack? Definitely not a lightning bolt. They were among the eight forefathers of football teams and the owner goes with 'Chargers.' That's weak.

The_Doctor10
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Anaheim Mighty Ducks, and now just Anaheim Ducks. Why not have a team called the Geese or Loons FFS.

Oh, Redskins is a pretty horrific name as well.

Jilly
05-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Jazz....

seriously, it's Utah, I would think the moving alone called for a name change.

RealSNR
05-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Clothing related names can GTFO.

There are TWO different colored socks teams in major league baseball. Seriously, were baseball fans just retarded back then?

The New York Knickerbockers? More like the New York "-Nick, you're bonkers- for naming the team after a pair of fucking pants that nobody wears anymore

Bugeater
05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
The NBA is full of stupid names. Magic, Heat, Wizards, Thunder, etc.

Rain Man
The Columbus Blue Jackets don't inspire a lot of fear. "We're the fashion that does the bashin'."

KCrockaholic
Jazz....

Might as well be called the Utah Mormons.

PunkinDrublic
05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Utah should change it's name to the choir. I've always thought the Nashville Predators was a little creepy. When they are on the road do they have to stay in hotels that are at least 500 feet from a school?

suds79
AFL-Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz

Wow that is horrible. Do we have rules on this? Does the AFL really? Count? if so, there's your winner.

Some strong ones already.

Utah Jazz is pretty bad.

How about the Denver Nuggets. WTF is that? Like a chicken nugget? I seriously have no idea where that name came from.

vailpass
Jazz....

I guess you don't care for 'Lakers'?

OmahaChief
I always thought that the Montreal Canadians was a weak name. It was like they did not even try to come up with something.

Jilly
For some reason, I'm not a fan of any name that doesn't have an s on the end.... Wild, Heat, etc. etc.

KCrockaholic
lol Golden Nuggets

Pablo
05-05-2010, 03:45 PM
i never understood why a team in electricity-low Cali would be called the chargers. How does that make sense and, furthermore, what does 'Chargers' mean? A raging bull? A environmentally-friendly battery pack? Definitely not a lightning bolt. They were among the eight forefathers of football teams and the owner goes with 'Chargers.' That's weak.IIRC, the first owner of the Chargers franchise was in bed with some sort of Credit Card company and decided to name his team the 'Chargers' as in charging money on a card.

OmahaChief
Wow that is horrible. Do we have rules on this? Does the AFL really? Count? if so, there's your winner.

Some strong ones already.

Utah Jazz is pretty bad.

How about the Denver Nuggets. WTF is that? Like a chicken nugget? I seriously have no idea where that name came from.

It game from the Gold rush days when people panned for gold nuggets in the streams of Colorado.

Jilly

no, but this time it has nothing to do with their name

Brock
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
i never understood why a team in electricity-low Cali would be called the chargers. How does that make sense and, furthermore, what does 'Chargers' mean? A raging bull? A environmentally-friendly battery pack? Definitely not a lightning bolt. They were among the eight forefathers of football teams and the owner goes with 'Chargers.' That's weak.

It has something to do with horses or something. Ask one of their 8 fans.

vailpass
no, but this time it has nothing to do with their name

:)

You go girl!

Viva Los Suns!!

suds79
It game from the Gold rush days when people panned for gold nuggets in the streams of Colorado.

Well then that just makes me look an an idiot then doesn't it.

Thanks a lot. ;)

KCrockaholic

I beat you to it! Kind of....

KurtCobain
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
For some reason, I'm not a fan of any name that doesn't have an s on the end.... Wild, Heat, etc. etc.

This.

Bugeater
Jazz....

IMO anytime a team moves it should change its name.

RealSNR
For some reason, I'm not a fan of any name that doesn't have an s on the end.... Wild, Heat, etc. etc.This.

Miami Heat. Orlando Magic. Oklahoma City Thunder. Those aren't creative or artistic, they're just stupid.

At least the WNBA team names are fitting, even if it's in a way that makes you want to gag.

The Atlanta Dream? Awful. Shitty.

jAZ
05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Montreal Canadians
Absolutely.

88TG88
wtf is a clipper

BWillie
This.

Miami Heat. Orlando Magic. Oklahoma City Thunder. Those aren't creative or artistic, they're just stupid.

At least the WNBA team names are fitting, even if it's in a way that makes you want to gag.

Red Sox. White Sox. Just about all of the names in the MLB. Sorry, I'm not old school. They don't sound bad now, because they've been around a long time and you don't really think about it.

I actually like the Heat, Magic, and Thunder names. I think they are kinda cool

RJ
Not a bad name for New Orleans, but terrible in Utah, no doubt. Should have done the Raven thing and treat it as a new brand all together.

Yeah, it was a great name for New Orleans, but Salt lake City is the antithesis of New Orleans.

vailpass
05-05-2010, 03:49 PM
This.

Can you name the two D1 college teams whose name does not end in an S and is not a color?

RealSNR
It game from the Gold rush days when people panned for gold nuggets in the streams of Colorado.It's still retarded.

gblowfish
When the Wiz plays the Burn, it's a urologist's dream match up.

RealSNR
Can you name the two D1 college teams whose name does not end in an S and is not a color?Alabama Crimson Tide and something else.

Jilly
Stupid name for baseball - Angels. Does this come from somewhere that makes it make sense?

Brock
Can you name the two D1 college teams whose name does not end in an S and is not a color?

The Stanford Cardinal? Or is that a color?

jAZ
05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Oklahoma City Thunder
I like the name OKC Thunder. Good name for a basketball team, or any team really.

Rain Man
05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Utah should change it's name to the choir. I've always thought the Nashville Predators was a little creepy. When they are on the road do they have to stay in hotels that are at least 500 feet from a school?

Sportscaster: "The Choir went down on the road today to the Predators."

Bugeater
05-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Navy? Aren't they the Midshipmen or something?

RJ
05-05-2010, 03:51 PM

The name doesn't fit the city but it does have a nice ring to it.

Gonzo
05-05-2010, 03:52 PM
In no particular order:

Knicks-outdated. Half the us population,(at least) don't know what the fuck a knickerbocker, (sp?) is.

Lakers-there are no fucking lakes in LA. They kept the name when they moved.

The Rays-WTF??? It was ok when they were the devil rays but now, wtf?

The Titans-come the hell on!? You couldn't come up with something better? That name was outdated in the 50's.

The Redskins-not to be all pc but that's a little racist. I understand the tradition but the native americans have a point.
If you want to keep a native name, that's cool but pick a local tribe that was in the area, (pre-slaughter) like the Mohicans maybe?

The angels- not the nick name, but pick a fucking city, would ya?

The sox, (either red, black or white) why name a team after a garment? How about the next baseball team be named the pink panties? What if we get a team in mexico city, are we going to name them the sombrero's?

The Dolphins-ooooooo scary! Could you fuckers pick a nicer animal as a mascot? Not exactly intimidating.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
wtf is a clipper

They're now called the Broncos.

KurtCobain
Alabama Crimson Tide and something else.

Fighting Irish?

RealSNR
I like the name OKC Thunder. Good name for a basketball team, or any team really.You know what's an even better name? The Seattle Sonics.

(Flopnuts is going to kill me, but this is how I have to deal with it. I was a longtime Sonics fan, and I just happen to use humor as a defense mechanism. Whatever.)

Bugeater
05-05-2010, 03:53 PM
wtf is a clipper
http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/51044578/Hair_Clipper.jpg

RealSNR
Fighting Irish?Bowm. I think that's it.

Chiefs Rool
The Lakers, there ain't no damn lakes out in California.

I never liked the Red Sox or White Sox, who the hell wants to be named after a stinky sock?

RJ
wtf is a clipper

I always assumed it referred to clipper ships.

RealSNR
05-05-2010, 03:54 PM
The Dolphins-ooooooo scary! Could you fuckers pick a nicer animal as a mascot? Not exactly intimidating.
Posted via Mobile DeviceThe Miami Manatees was taken at the time.

KurtCobain
05-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I always thought the Dolphins was really fucking lame.

And whatever the new omaha UFL team's name is gonna be will probably suck too.

chiefsfan987
05-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Oklahoma City "Thunder" is pretty bad IMO.

Bugeater
05-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I always thought the Dolphins was really ****ing lame.

We'll know in just a few minutes!

OmahaChief
05-05-2010, 04:00 PM

NC State and Nevada Wolfpack
Illinois Fighting Illini
Marshall Thundering Herd

Gonzo
05-05-2010, 04:01 PM
We'll know in just a few minutes!

Bump your thread when they announce it, would you?

I'm gonna go finish mowing that damn yard.

Stewie
05-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I always thought the Dolphins was really fucking lame.

What about their stadium? Land Shark? WTF?

Simply Red
05-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Orioles

Direckshun
05-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Wizards, Kansas City and Washington.

Buck
05-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Tulane Green Wave?

vailpass
05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Tulane Green Wave?

Color cannot be part of the name.

vailpass
05-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Alabama Crimson Tide and something else.

Crimson is a color.

vailpass
05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
The Stanford Cardinal? Or is that a color?

One down. Well done.

KurtCobain
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
One down. Well done.

Stanford Cardinal is for the color. And The fighting Irish is one.

"On November 17, 1981, school President Donald Kennedy declared that the athletic teams be represented by the color Cardinal in its singular form."

vailpass
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Navy? Aren't they the Midshipmen or something?

Yep.

vailpass
05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
NC State and Nevada Wolfpack
Illinois Fighting Illini
Marshall Thundering Herd

Pretty good. Did you look those up?

vailpass
05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Stanford Cardinal is for the color. And The fighting Irish is one.

"On November 17, 1981, school President Donald Kennedy declared that the athletic teams be represented by the color Cardinal in its singular form."

Yeah, I've heard it that way also heard the original was not for the color. I go with the original.
If you don't like it tell your skank whore wife goodbye and eat a shotgun.

chiefsfan987
05-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Oklahoma City "Thunder" is pretty bad IMO.

KurtCobain
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I've heard it that way also heard the original was not for the color. I go with the original.
If you don't like it tell your skank whore wife goodbye and eat a shotgun.

from wiki....

Following its win over Cal in the first-ever Big Game in 1892, the color cardinal was picked as the primary color of Stanford's athletic teams. White was adopted as a secondary color in the 1940s.

In 1930, the athletic department adopted the mascot "Indian." The Indian symbol and name were later dropped by President Richard Lyman in 1972, after objections from Native American students and a vote by the student senate.

From 1972 to 1981, the official nickname was the Cardinals. Despite the plural form of the name, the name was intended to refer to the color, not the bird. During the 1970s, a number of suggestions were put forth as possible nicknames: Robber Barons (a sly reference to Leland Stanford's history), Sequoias, Trees, Railroaders, Spikes, Huns, and Griffins. The last suggestion gained enough momentum to prompt the university to move two griffin statues to be near the athletic facilities.[1]

On November 17, 1981, school President Donald Kennedy declared that the athletic teams be represented by the color Cardinal in its singular form.[1]

Chiefs Rool
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Red Sox, why are they named after socks?

vailpass
05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
from wiki....

Following its win over Cal in the first-ever Big Game in 1892, the color cardinal was picked as the primary color of Stanford's athletic teams. White was adopted as a secondary color in the 1940s.

In 1930, the athletic department adopted the mascot "Indian." The Indian symbol and name were later dropped by President Richard Lyman in 1972, after objections from Native American students and a vote by the student senate.

From 1972 to 1981, the official nickname was the Cardinals. Despite the plural form of the name, the name was intended to refer to the color, not the bird. During the 1970s, a number of suggestions were put forth as possible nicknames: Robber Barons (a sly reference to Leland Stanford's history), Sequoias, Trees, Railroaders, Spikes, Huns, and Griffins. The last suggestion gained enough momentum to prompt the university to move two griffin statues to be near the athletic facilities.[1]

On November 17, 1981, school President Donald Kennedy declared that the athletic teams be represented by the color Cardinal in its singular form.[1]

My fifth grader knows not to quote Wiki as a source for his homework. Work harder and locate a credible source.

PunkinDrublic
05-05-2010, 04:29 PM
The L.A Clippers. No wonder they are the laughing stock of sports. Nobody is intimidated by a gay sailboat.

milkman
05-05-2010, 04:32 PM
How about the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Talk about stupid, they didn't even get the plural right.

OnTheWarpath15
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Tampa Bay's AA farm team is called the Biscuits.

The Montgomery Biscuits.

http://dixiedining.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/biscuit-logo.gif

milkman
05-05-2010, 04:50 PM

The Montgomery Biscuits.

Hey Butter, Butter, Butter.

Hey Butter, Butter.

Buck
05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
My fifth grader knows not to quote Wiki as a source for his homework. Work harder and locate a credible source.

How about the official Stanford Cardinal website?

http://www.gostanford.com/school-bio/stan-nickname-mascot.html

The unique origins of Stanford’s mascot and nickname have a history that dates back to the University’s founding in 1891. While the Cardinal has always been one of the school’s official colors, the nickname has gone through a series of changes, student votes, controversy and confusion.

Since 1981, Stanford has been known as the Cardinal. Stanford was known as the "Indians" from 1930-72. As for the mascot, Stanford does not officially have one. The "Tree," which is a member of the Stanford Band, has been mistaken as the school’s mascot, but it is not.

Below is a brief history of the nickname, the mascot and the school colors:

The Nickname: The nickname for Stanford is the Cardinal – in reference to one of the school colors (and is therefore in the singular). Stanford’s history with its nickname began on March 19, 1891 when Stanford beat Cal in the first Big Game. While Stanford did not have an official nickname, the day after the Big Game local newspapers picked up the "cardinal" theme and used it in the headlines.

Stanford did not have an "official" nickname until Indians was adopted in 1930. For years prior, the Indian had been part of the Stanford athletic tradition. Perhaps it grew out of the fact that Cal’s symbol was the Bear, or it may have come from the large Indian population of the area, or from Indian paraphernalia in abundance in the late 1800’s. Whatever the origin, it was accepted by sportswriters and gradually gained wide recognition.

Stanford officially adopted the Indian nickname on Nov. 25, 1930 after a unanimous vote by the Executive Committee for the Associated Students. The Indian had long been considered the symbol of Stanford before the official vote, although its origins are only speculation.

The resolution that was passed read: "Whereas the Indian has long been unofficially recognized as the symbol of Stanford and its spirit, and whereas there has never been any official designation of a Stanford symbol, be it hereby resolved that the Executive Committee adopt the Indian as the symbol of Stanford."

The Indian symbol was eventually dropped in 1972 following meetings between Stanford native American students and President Richard Lyman. The 55 students, supported by the other 358 American Indians enrolled in California colleges, felt the mascot was an insult to their culture and heritage. As a result of these talks and the ensuing publicity, the Stanford Student Senate voted 18-4 to drop the Indian symbol, and Lyman agreed.

The first student referendum on the issue was held in May, 1972, and it resulted in a vote of 1,755 for and 1,298 against restoring the Indian. The second vote, on Dec. 3-4, 1975, was 885 for and 1,915 against.

There was a move to reinstate the Indian as the school mascot in 1975. The debate was put to vote along with new suggestions: Robber Barons, Sequoias, Trees, Cardinals, Railroaders, Spikes, and Huns. None of the suggestions were accepted.

In 1978, another group comprised of 225 varsity athletes from 18 teams, started a petition for the mascot to be the griffin – a mythological animal with the body and hind legs of a lion and head and wings of an eagle. The University moved two griffin statues from the Children’s Hospital to a grassy area between Encina Gym and Angel Field. The campaign for the Griffins failed.

From 1972 until November 17, 1981, Stanford’s official nickname was Cardinals, in reference to one of the school colors, not the bird.

Nine years after the Indian was dropped, Stanford had still not decided on a new mascot. President Donald Kennedy declared in 1981 that all Stanford athletic teams will be represented and symbolized exclusively by the color cardinal. "While various other mascots have been suggested and then allowed to wither, the color has continued to serve us well, as it has for 90 years. It is a rich and vivid metaphor for the very pulse of life."

The Mascot: There is no official mascot at Stanford University. The "Tree," which is a member of the Stanford Band, is representative of El Palo Alto, the Redwood tree which is the logo of the city of Palo Alto. Since Stanford University and Palo Alto are almost inextricably intertwined in interests and location, it is a natural outgrowth of this relationship. The tree still exists and stands by the railroad bridge beside San Francisquito Creek – it is the site where early explorers first camped when settling the area.

The Color: When Stanford first accepted students in 1891, the student body actually voted for gold as the school’s official color, but another student assembly chose Cardinal as the school color. A few days after the vote, local sportswriters picked up the "Cardinal" theme after Stanford defeated Cal in the first Big Game (March 19, 1891). The headlines read, "Cardinal Triumphs O’er Blue and Gold."

Cardinal remained the school color until the 1940’s, when rules committees and conferences started regulating jersey colors for home and visiting football teams. Stanford’s Board of Athletic Control adopted white as the second color.

Today, Stanford’s official school colors are cardinal and white.

The Franchise
05-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Houston Texans

88TG88
05-05-2010, 04:53 PM

The Montgomery Biscuits.

I like that name.

jAZ
05-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Did you ask your fifth grader what that "[1]" means?

Chiefs Rool
05-05-2010, 05:06 PM
and the Lakers, they ain't go that many lakes in Californai

The Poz
05-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Toronto Raptors

OnTheWarpath15
05-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Hey Butter, Butter, Butter.

Hey Butter, Butter.

LMAO

BWillie
05-05-2010, 05:17 PM
The worst college sports name is the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The definition of a Cornhusker is literally, one who husks corn. I'm not making it up. And they named their team that.

boogblaster
05-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Dungver Mulebreeders

oldandslow
05-05-2010, 05:24 PM
The Columbus Blue Jackets don't inspire a lot of fear. "We're the fashion that does the bashin'."

Blue Jacket was a Shawnee leader (from Ohio) under Little Turtle in the late 1700's - thus the name. He fought with the British against the Revolutionary soldiers.

His Indian name is Weyapiersenwah

He was also a badass.

milkman
05-05-2010, 05:30 PM
The worst college sports name is the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The definition of a Cornhusker is literally, one who husks corn. I'm not making it up. And they named their team that.

What about the Shockers?

Isn't that actually just cornstalks?

RealSNR
05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
The worst college sports name is the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The definition of a Cornhusker is literally, one who husks corn. I'm not making it up. And they named their team that.My sister went to Concordia College, where they are named the Corncobbers.

Their clever thing to say at sporting events is "fear the ear"

BWillie
05-05-2010, 06:04 PM
My sister went to Concordia College, where they are named the Corncobbers.

Their clever thing to say at sporting events is "fear the ear"

ROFL

At Indiana, whatever handmovment do in the stands I'm pretty sure is milking the cow.

ChiefaRoo
05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Los Suns

whoman69
05-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I've always hated team names that were singular. The worst of the lot has to be the Miami Heat. Is anyone afraid of heat?

jAZ
05-05-2010, 06:45 PM
If we are going to college then...

http://benjaminlipman.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/ussc.jpg

Dylan
05-05-2010, 06:46 PM
The worst name = Broncos
Runner Up = Raiders
Honorable Mention = Chargers

LMAO

Demonpenz
05-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I've always hated team names that were singular. The worst of the lot has to be the Miami Heat. Is anyone afraid of heat?

Great White fans

Fish
05-05-2010, 06:59 PM
What about the Shockers?

Isn't that actually just cornstalks?

Wheat stalks actually.

penchief
05-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Anaheim Mighty Ducks, and now just Anaheim Ducks. Why not have a team called the Geese or Loons FFS.

In the same way, dolphins is kinda weak for a football team.

CanadaKC
05-05-2010, 07:08 PM
with all the cubans....and a tribute to Scarface ...I think the Heat's name should be changed to "The Miami Mang"