PDA

View Full Version : Misc Anyone familiar with international travel and relocation

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Here is the situation best I know it: A friend posted a roommate wanted ad on craigslist and a gal living in England responded. She is a rep for Gibson guitars and is being moved to Tyler, TX. Now I do not have all the details but what I do know is that my friend has to purchase the ticket for this gal because she cannot for, I don't know why. She was to receive a company check for that plus the money to cover the deposit. She gets a check, but it is from JetBlue Airlines.

Now why can this gal not buy her own ticket? Why would an airline company (who doesn't even have any hub anywhere around here) be cutting the check? My friend couldn't remember the details of the whys, and if I knew them they might make perfect sense to me, but on the surface this just smells to me. I am worried about her because she is in a vulnerable state right now due to finances and is needing the help, so I'm afraid she is just taking whatever explanation at face value and not thinking it through. I tried to talk to her about it and she just copped an attitude with me so I walked away. But I am still trying to wrap my mind around this situation and coming up blank. Any possible explanations?

CosmicPal
05-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Good Lord, this is a scam.

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
My gut reaction.

Sofa King
05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
someone can't pay for a plane ticket but they think they can help pay for Rent/Utilities?

England?

i wouldn't be doing this crap... especially wouldn't be buying her a plane ticket if i'm having money problems... dumb idea...

dirk digler
05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Good Lord, this is a scam.

Yep.

CosmicPal
05-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Took me less than a couple of minutes to do this for you and your friend:

Gibson Europe BV
Kamerling Onnesweg 2/
4131 PK Vianen
The Netherlands
Phone: 31.347.324010
www.gibsoneurope.com

Gibson Corporate
309 Plus Park Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37217
615.889.5509 FAX
www.gibson.com

Have your friend call Gibson's Corporate offices and verify who this "employee" is. I doubt they will provide this information to you, but more importantly you can inform them of this scam.

Honestly, if she works for Gibson and is relocating to the states- the company will pay for her flight.

Raiderhater
someone can't pay for a plane ticket but they think they can help pay for Rent/Utilities?

England?

i wouldn't be doing this crap... especially wouldn't be buying her a plane ticket if i'm having money problems... dumb idea...

It's not that she can't afford it, it is some other issue. I doubt I'll ever know what it is.

swayy07
sounds like someone might be on a no fly list

AndChiefs
05-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Can you let her know I have a bridge available for sale?

JD10367
05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
We're flying to Europe next week.

It's remarkably easy to do. You give people money, they give you a plane ticket.

CosmicPal
05-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Took me less than a couple of minutes to do this for you and your friend:

Gibson Europe BV
Kamerling Onnesweg 2/
4131 PK Vianen
The Netherlands
Phone: 31.347.324010
www.gibsoneurope.com

Gibson Corporate
309 Plus Park Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37217
615.889.5509 FAX
www.gibson.com

Have your friend call Gibson's Corporate offices and verify who this "employee" is. I doubt they will provide this information to you, but more importantly you can inform them of this scam.

Honestly, if she works for Gibson and is relocating to the states- the company will pay for her flight.

You also need to alert JetBlue Airways Corporate Offices.

118-29 Queens Blvd.
Forest Hills, NY
United States (Map)
Phone: 718-286-7900
Fax: 718-709-3621
Toll Free: 800-538-2583

After that, I'd alert Craigslist as well.

If you guys don't do something about this, these asshats will continue to post these bogus scams and eventually find someone gullible enough to pay them.

You mentioned when you started probing her with questions that she got all hostile. Red Flag! Of course, she's going to get hostile when you're asking her questions.

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 01:15 PM
sounds like someone might be on a no fly list

That was another thought that crossed my mind. However the ticket will still have the gal's name on it, so I don't see how having someone else purchase it would work.

salame
05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
hey can you have your friend send some money to my friend in nigeria?
he will give you a lot of money if you help him

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
You also need to alert JetBlue Airways Corporate Offices.

118-29 Queens Blvd.
Forest Hills, NY
United States (Map)
Phone: 718-286-7900
Fax: 718-709-3621
Toll Free: 800-538-2583

After that, I'd alert Craigslist as well.

If you guys don't do something about this, these asshats will continue to post these bogus scams and eventually find someone gullible enough to pay them.

You mentioned when you started probing her with questions that she got all hostile. Red Flag! Of course, she's going to get hostile when you're asking her questions.

She did take the check to the bank to have it verified as legit before depositing it. Haven't heard the out come of that.

And it was my friend who was getting "hostile" not the other person. She has had a rough go of it lately and snapped at me, "can't something go right for me?" Told her I was trying to look out for her and walked away. It's a complicated relationship to begin with.

Bugeater
05-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Ask the chick in England to send hot nekkid pics. It won't help the situation at all, but hey, you'll have the hot nekkid pics.

Frazod
05-07-2010, 01:26 PM
1. Sounds like bullshit to me.

2. Hi Jamie! Where the hell have you been hiding?

CosmicPal
05-07-2010, 01:28 PM
She did take the check to the bank to have it verified as legit before depositing it. Haven't heard the out come of that.

And it was my friend who was getting "hostile" not the other person. She has had a rough go of it lately and snapped at me, "can't something go right for me?" Told her I was trying to look out for her and walked away. It's a complicated relationship to begin with.

Okay, sorry, I misunderstood the "she" in your original post.

Frankly, it just smells fishy.

Not to mention there is a "roommate scam" that has been going on for a few years on Craigslist. I know when I was in Denver and I was looking for a roommate I had a similar response: Some dude said he'd get me a check, but it would be from another source and that I'd have to cash it, blah, blah, blah. Can't recall the full details because I simply deleted the email and didn't even bother to reply to it. Unfortunately, that is what your friend should have done.

It's really too bad that there are people who prey on other people's vulnerabilities. They take advantage of those who are disadvantaged, but even worse- they get away with it.

I hope your friend doesn't become a victim and should really consider a different roommate option.

Otter
05-07-2010, 01:29 PM

England?

Yes, England! You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary fucking Poppins... ENGLAND!

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
1. Sounds like bullshit to me.

2. Hi Jamie! Where the hell have you been hiding?

Sadly, I have acquired a life. :shake: Work, work, personal bullshit, work, personal bullshit, repeat. How are you?

CosmicPal
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, England! You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary ****ing Poppins... ENGLAND!

The Beatles, The Clash, The Who, Rolling Stones, football, and a channel some folks like to swim across.

Frazod
05-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Sadly, I have acquired a life. :shake: Work, work, personal bullshit, work, personal bullshit, repeat. How are you?

Pretty much the same, FWIW.

BigRedChief
05-07-2010, 01:39 PM
This is BS. No way, no how is this story true. I've done a lot of traveling and worked for the Dept. of Homeland Security. Buying plane tickets for someone else that is not immediate family is a big red flag for homeland security. Expect the personal touch and investigation upon arrival at the airport if by some miracle its a legit situation.

vailpass
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
This is BS. No way, no how is this story true. I've done a lot of traveling and worked for the Dept. of Homeland Security. Buying plane tickets for someone else that is not immediate family is a big red flag for homeland security.

Oh yes, especially international travel.

CosmicPal
05-07-2010, 01:43 PM
How to recognize a roommate scam:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4513568_recognize-roommate-scam.html

Step
If you received an email to your roommate listing and it is from a foreign national, your red flags have go up right away to protect yourself from becoming a victim of a roommate scam. Roommate scams can be spotted rather quickly if you notice any of the following:

1. The person looking for a roomate claims to be moving to the United States for school, a work contract or a modeling contract.
2. Their email response has numerous grammatical errors or broken English
3. The person is from Nigeria, Netherlands, Canada, UK, Sweden or Australia
Step
Next, look to see within the response if they offer to send you a:

1. Their final paycheck from their job
2. A cashier's check or money order that equals to 2-3 times MORE than the cost of the rent you advertised for your home or apartment.

These checks and money orders are counterfeit!!
Step
Another way to tell if you received a roommate scam is if the repsonder insists that you open up a bank account with Wells Fargo or some other bank rather than using your own to receive payment to rent the room you have available. Once you cash the counterfeit check or money order, they will ask you to take out YOUR PORTION to cover the expenses for the rent and for you to SEND THEM the rest of the money wired through Western Union. Check to see if the responder claims that they need money sent back to them to:

1. Pay the last rent balance to their landlord
2. Pay for travel expenses
3. Pay for moving expenses

To add, check to see if they offer for an "associate" in the United States to send you a check for the rent deposit. Again, these checks are FAKE!
Step
You will also notice that responder will automatically assume that you are going to accept them to be your roommate and therefore will ask:

1. For the total amount of the rent and security deposit so they can send you a check right away
2. For you to delete your ad from the roommate listing
Step
Finally, the scam artist will ask for your personal information like:

1. Your Full name
2. Address
3. Phone number
4. Personal email address
5. Where you bank

DON'T EVER give out your personal information to anyone you don't know over the web. Emails can be tricky so before you respond to ads to your roommate listing, make sure you are not responding to a roommate scam.

Roommate listings provide email accounts through their website where you can send and read emails without giving out having to give out your personal email address. However, if you post an ad on a free roommate finder like Craigslist, people you respond to will gain access to your private email address which can leave you vulnerable for professional scammers to hack into computer and steal your personal information.
Step
Now...there will be times where you will respond to a roommate scam artist by accident and won't know it. However, if you ask the responder for basic information and they refuse to give it to you or become very angry, you will then know that the person you are dealing with is trying to trap you in a roommate scam. With any foreign national who is looking to rent a room from you, it's your right to ask the following:

1. Full name
2. Phone number where you can speak to them live
3. A scan copy of their work visa or passport
4. Their address
5. Copy of their employer contract here in the US

If you persist for this information (not knowing you responded to a roommate scam), the scam artist will become very nasty, hostile and may harass you with constant phone calls, emails and/or threats. If this happens, you will have to change your number, email address and contact the authorities.

If you suspect you received a roommate scam email, delete it and DON'T make contact with that person. Trust me, during your roommate search you will receive similar emails, using a similiar script, but from a different so called person. No need to panic, just delete it!
Step
Lastly, here is an example of a roommate scam email. Get familiar with it, protect yourself and don't become a victim!

Hi,

I saw your ad i'm looking to rent a room or seek roommate who is nice and honest. My name is Denise and Im 29 yr. old broker living in london with my uncle. Im honest, trustworthy caring individal who enjoys making good friends and having good times.

I plan to come to the united states to work at new brokerage firm on a 8 month contract. I just want to confirm the rent, utilities and if there is any deposit. What's the amount to move in altogether. I can pay you 2 months rent and would like to move in right away. I will have my asociate in the united states send you a cashiers check for 3 months payment. Please wire the rest of the money western union so I can purchase my plane ticket

Forward me your full details where you want payment to be mailed

name
address
city, Zip
Email
Phone Number

thanks and i will be waiting for your details so i can proceed with payment!

Regards,

Denise

Rain Man
05-07-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm sure it's a scam, but I'm now curious what the scam is. So your pal is supposed to buy an international airline ticket, and then she's getting paid by another airline. The obvious answer is that the JetBlue ticket is a fake, but you'll find that out soon enough. If it's not fake, then the person involved is trying to get an airline ticket without having it show up on their credit card bill, which means that they're either a legitimate bad guy terrorist type or they're trying to get away from somebody who is.

I'd lean more toward the JetBlue check being a fake and it's a run of the mill scam. I'll be interested in seeing how it turns out, but your friend should contact JetBlue and/or Homeland Security.

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 02:09 PM
How to recognize a roommate scam:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4513568_recognize-roommate-scam.html

Step
If you received an email to your roommate listing and it is from a foreign national, your red flags have go up right away to protect yourself from becoming a victim of a roommate scam. Roommate scams can be spotted rather quickly if you notice any of the following:

1. The person looking for a roomate claims to be moving to the United States for school, a work contract or a modeling contract.
2. Their email response has numerous grammatical errors or broken English
3. The person is from Nigeria, Netherlands, Canada, UK, Sweden or Australia

Number 2 sticks out to me. When this whole thing first started to happen a few weeks ago (when she and I were on better terms) she read me the first or second response she got and pointed out the spelling. Didn't think much of it at the time other than I would never be crazy about having someone one move in that I met online, but to each their own. Then the whole thing kind of died off for a while until I see her last night and she is talking about this check with a mutual friend of ours and says that this is supposed to happen now.

Chiefs Rool
05-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Good lord man, it's a scam! Stay away!

jiveturkey
05-07-2010, 02:20 PM
This is really weird. I have a similar situation involving a Nigerian. But he works for Fender. It's a total nightmare getting a ticket for him. So I decided to just send him cash and he'll take care of the rest. LMAO

CanadianChief
05-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Is your friend blonde??

Bwana
05-07-2010, 02:43 PM
LMAO

http://www.heartlandconnection.com/uploadedImages/ktvo/News/Stories/scam%20alert.jpg

Amnorix
05-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Number 2 sticks out to me. When this whole thing first started to happen a few weeks ago (when she and I were on better terms) she read me the first or second response she got and pointed out the spelling. Didn't think much of it at the time other than I would never be crazy about having someone one move in that I met online, but to each their own. Then the whole thing kind of died off for a while until I see her last night and she is talking about this check with a mutual friend of ours and says that this is supposed to happen now.

Dude, it's a scam. Not "maybe it's a scam". Not "hrmm...this is a bit odd." Not "you should investigate closely." or "let me check around." No, it's this:

IT IS A SCAM!!!

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Is your friend blonde??

Might as well be.

Frazod
05-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Might as well be.

LMAO

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Dude, it's a scam. Not "maybe it's a scam". Not "hrmm...this is a bit odd." Not "you should investigate closely." or "let me check around." No, it's this:

IT IS A SCAM!!!

Don't need to sell me, sell her. I'm working back channels trying to convey the message to her before its too late (if it isn't already). She just doesn't like to listen to me some times, but there are others who stand a chance of getting through to her.

Frazod
05-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Don't need to sell me, sell her. I'm working back channels trying to convey the message to her before its too late (if it isn't already). She just doesn't like to listen to me some times, but there are others who stand a chance of getting through to her.

E-mail her a link to this thread. :evil:

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-07-2010, 02:53 PM

IT IS A SCAM!!!

Sooo... you're saying it's probably not legit ?

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 02:56 PM
E-mail her a link to this thread. :evil:

Heh. Actually I'm gonna print out the post with the "how to recognize a roommate scam" and give it to the person I'm working through to give to her. I'll have say he asked a friend to do some research for him. She knows it came from me she'll try and find ways to discredit it.

Why are we even friends you ask? Long complicated story, let's just leave it at that.

Frazod
05-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Why are we even friends you ask? I'm trying to bone her. Not really that complicated.

FYP :)

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 03:05 PM
FYP :)

OK, the veeeery short version. Been there done that. Dated for a short time. That's as in depth as I'll go, because it would take the remainder of the day to explain everything.

Frazod
05-07-2010, 03:07 PM
OK, the veeeery short version. Been there done that. Dated for a short time. That's as in depth as I'll go, because it would take the remainder of the day to explain everything.

Hopefully she's as hot as she is foolish.

Raiderhater
05-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Hopefully she's as hot as she is foolish.

LOL! I've never known a guy not to find her attractive.

AndChiefs
05-07-2010, 03:37 PM
LOL! I've never known a guy not to find her attractive.

How are we supposed to determine this without pics? :evil:

Fritz88
05-07-2010, 03:54 PM
It's noble of you to do that to your friend. Props.
It's a scam. If your friend insist on not listening then sadly she'll have to learn the hard way.