PDA

View Full Version : Football SI.Com: JaMarcus Russell pre draft hype, a look back...

DaWolf
05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Pretty fun to look back at the comments from pre-2007 draft:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.1.html
"I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

-- ESPN's Todd McShay

"I think JaMarcus Russell to the Raiders scares me. I would have done the exact same thing Oakland did, to be sure. But the formula for early success is a bad one there. So much pressure on him to perform well early, with such a porous offensive line, and who knows what at wideout."

-- SI's Peter King

"JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

-- ESPN's Mel Kiper

"The workout Russell had was Star Wars. It was unbelievable."

Then-Tampa Bay Bucs coach Jon Gruden

"If you had to choose a quarterback, who would you pick, JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Both have strengths and glaring weaknesses. It goes down to which guy is most coachable. I might take Quinn for that reason. But, pure skill with a ton of work to do, it would be Russell. If you put a gun to my head, I would pick Russell. But he comes with a lot of risk."

-- ESPN's Merril Hoge

"He's like a video game. There's not a throw he can't make and there's some he can make I'm not sure anyone else can make. That's exciting. But how many times does that happen in a game, making those long throws. Maybe twice in 16 games. I know seeing someone do that is a scout's dream, but it doesn't happen much. ... He seems very first class, very easy to get along with. No doubt he was a great leader [at LSU]. That's why everybody wants him now."

-- Then-Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin

"This year, I can't get over how good and talented JaMarcus Russell is. It just blew me away. If I had the first, second, third, fourth, fifth pick in that draft, I would be tearing apart his personal life trying to figure out whether or not I could trust this kid with $10-million ... From a physical skill set perspective, I've never seen a college quarterback with more ability than Russell. You put the tape on and it's frightening. The only thing that's going to keep [Russell] from being great is him. What it comes down to is you've got to figure out whether or not this kid wants to be the best quarterback in football. If he wants to be the best quarterback in football, he can be."

-- NFL Network's Mike Mayock

"He has a cannon for an arm, can make all the throws and has great size. Heck, he looks like a tackle playing quarterback. I just don't see the pinpoint passing, the great timing of the throws or his feel for the pocket. He's careless with the ball, at times, and he struggled against the better college defenses. Can he develop into a quality NFL quarterback? You bet. Would I take him with the first overall pick? No way. As of now, I have him rated at the 20th-best player."

-- CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco

Ebolapox
05-07-2010, 04:15 PM
seems like prisco nailed it.

keg in kc
05-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Hoge seemed pretty on-target, too.

Ebolapox
05-07-2010, 04:24 PM
I vaguely recall his being a second to fourth round prospect before his pro day. after wowing everybody, he shot up like there was no tomorrow.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2010, 04:30 PM
He was definately a Boom or Bust pick.

Nobody disputes he has raw talent. Heck, every 1st round pick has raw talent.

The Raiders gambled he would have the mental game and they lost. It happens to every team at one time or another.

If the Raiders wouldnt have picked him, someone else would have and he would have busted there too.

For the most part a player sucks because he sucks. No excuses other than himself.

HotRoute
05-07-2010, 04:42 PM
"I would be tearing apart his personal life trying to figure out whether or not I could trust this kid with $10-million "

Mike Mayock

This is basically what it all came down too, once the guy got paid he could care less.

RNR
05-07-2010, 05:41 PM
"He has a cannon for an arm, can make all the throws and has great size. Heck, he looks like a tackle playing quarterback. I just don't see the pinpoint passing, the great timing of the throws or his feel for the pocket. He's careless with the ball, at times, and he struggled against the better college defenses. Can he develop into a quality NFL quarterback? You bet. Would I take him with the first overall pick? No way. As of now, I have him rated at the 20th-best player."

-- CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco
This was a nails on viewpoint I wish he was on the scouting team. The flame thrower wowed most, the flaws he spotted along with the kid being lazy and less than bright did him in. I think if he is brought in to the right situation and surrounded with the right people he still might surprise some people~

Quesadilla Joe
05-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Reading McShay and Kiper's thoughts on Russell makes me even more giddy about Tebow.

L.A. Chieffan
05-07-2010, 05:50 PM
These quotes are just like when we took TJax.

Dante84
05-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Reading McShay and Kiper's thoughts on Russell makes me even more giddy about Tebow.

Shut your Denver trap, yuckmouth.

BigMeatballDave
05-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Further proof that the draft is a crapshoot, and no one really knows. They think they do, but really do not...

ClevelandBronco
05-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Prisco came closest of all the guys who were dead wrong. He said Jamarcus was the 20th best player.

If that's the case, Russell has kept it under wraps.

Pioli Zombie
05-07-2010, 06:04 PM
But we all know if you can draft a guy who maybe has a chance to possibly be a "franchise qb" someday you HAVE to draft him or else you're an idiot. - Drafturbators.

Ugly Duck
05-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Reminds me of the universal praise heaped upon Oakland for taking Robert Gallery at #2. Stuff like "safest pick in the draft" and "can't miss" and "sure thing" and "anchor the line for 10 years" and "build a team around him" and......

Mecca
05-07-2010, 07:06 PM
But we all know if you can draft a guy who maybe has a chance to possibly be a "franchise qb" someday you HAVE to draft him or else you're an idiot. - Drafturbators.

Not drafting a QB out of fear of the position is the surest way to never win.

notorious
05-07-2010, 07:18 PM

This.

Bane
05-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Goddamn!There is some epic football god knowledge FAIL in those opinions.Bwaa haaa haaaa.I bet Mel goes back and watches what he said and cries.......ROFL

notorious
05-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Goddamn!There is some epic football god knowledge FAIL in those opinions.Bwaa haaa haaaa.I bet Mel goes back and watches what he said and cries.......ROFL

Those guys all suck off the big gun in the group.

Anyone that watched his college games should have known his accuracy and pocket presence sucked. That's part the reason that Bowe drops routine passes but catches the horrible ones.

Red Dawg
05-07-2010, 07:49 PM

Nailed it? 20th best player? From the bottom of the list maybe.

Ebolapox
05-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Nailed it? 20th best player? From the bottom of the list maybe.

from a talent standpoint, he wasn't wrong. he's incredibly talented. teams gamble on talent in the first round all the damned time. demitrius fucking underwood went from first round pick (he dropped a bit due to mental concerns) and was out of the league within two years IIRC.

the point is, it's all hindsight. if we're going with hindsight, he should've been undrafted. however, they didn't HAVE the benefit of hindsight, and this once more proves why the draft is a crapshoot.

Ebolapox
05-07-2010, 07:58 PM
fuck, jeff george was incredibly talented. bust.
heath shuler? very talented. bust.
kyle boller? talented. bust.
rex grossman? talented. bust.

you can't just go back with hindsight and say they weren't among the best in their draft class (ranking them BEFORE the draft). one never knows whether the guy has the mental game to be good or whether he'll fall on his ass.

Pioli Zombie
05-07-2010, 08:10 PM
So you're saying Russell was a good pick because at least it shows the Raiders "aren't afraid"??

Pioli Zombie
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
****, jeff george was incredibly talented. bust.
heath shuler? very talented. bust.
kyle boller? talented. bust.
rex grossman? talented. bust.

you can't just go back with hindsight and say they weren't among the best in their draft class (ranking them BEFORE the draft). one never knows whether the guy has the mental game to be good or whether he'll fall on his ass.

So as long as you are picking qbs,even if they are shitty, its genius.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Well yea, but you have to be smart about it as well....especially when Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson are on the board. You cant just throw money away.

Bane
05-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Well yea, but you have to be smart about it as well....especially when Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson are on the board. You cant just throw money away.

Clearly you can when you're Al Davis.
Posted via Mobile Device

GoTrav
05-07-2010, 09:26 PM
great piece...glad this shit is actually reviewed to hold these 'tv' scouts to some sort of accountability.

ClevelandBronco
05-07-2010, 10:15 PM
from a talent standpoint, he wasn't wrong. he's incredibly talented. teams gamble on talent in the first round all the damned time...

The Broncos absolutely stole Tebow.

Right?

Right?

Donchathink?

Sure-Oz
05-07-2010, 10:17 PM
If the guy gave a shit he may have been a solid QB, who knows, oh well to the shrimp boat

KCrockaholic
05-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Kiper shit the bed on another one...

:rolleyes:

The_Doctor10
So you're saying Russell was a good pick because at least it shows the Raiders "aren't afraid"??

The Raiders have won a Superbowl. Several in fact. Not recently, but you know. They've at least got the argument that 'it happened for us before, maybe we can recreate the magic'.

Much in the same way everyone in Calgary creams their jeans when the Flames acquire a backup goalie and depth defenseman... because it happened the one time 21 years ago when they won a championship, every time we add Steve ****ing Staios and Vesa Toskala we're bloody champions...

You think Chiefs truefans are bad, hang around some Canadian hockey message boards. Yikes.

alanm
Reminds me of the universal praise heaped upon Oakland for taking Robert Gallery at #2. Stuff like "safest pick in the draft" and "can't miss" and "sure thing" and "anchor the line for 10 years" and "build a team around him" and......As a RT. The Raiders should of never moved him to LT. It never ceases to amaze me why teams draft a guy and then make him change positions. :doh!:

KCrockaholic
05-07-2010, 10:28 PM
As a RT. The Raiders should of never moved him to LT. It never ceases to amaze me why teams draft a guy and then make him change positions. :doh!:

We did it with Albert. He's done fair thus far. Year 3 is the true test IMO.

GoTrav
05-07-2010, 10:28 PM
As a RT. The Raiders should of never moved him to LT. It never ceases to amaze me why teams draft a guy and then make him change positions. :doh!:

Gallery as RT was projected as a top 2 pick upon the suggestion he could be moved to LT and be dominate? I honestly don't remember but I sure hope not.

Basileus777
05-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I absolutely hated that quarterback class.

alanm
05-07-2010, 10:55 PM
We did it with Albert. He's done fair thus far. Year 3 is the true test IMO.But who knows. He may have been a pro bowler by now if they had left him at RG. Or was he a RT at Virginia?

KCrockaholic
05-07-2010, 11:00 PM
But who knows. He may have been a pro bowler by now if they had left him at RG. Or was he a RT at Virginia?

Albert was a LG at Virginia.

lostcause
05-08-2010, 12:41 AM
To be fair, Russell had the best tangibles of a QB prospect since Vick.

lostcause
05-08-2010, 12:42 AM
And donkey fans shouldn't troll the boards with tibow talk - it kind of makes you look desperate for attention, because nobody thinks the guy can play qb