PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Your worst sports moment(s)....

Jerm
05-08-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm sure this is a repost but I'm bored and I was discussing this topic with co-workers last night.

What are your worst sporting moments...limited to actual on the field stuff. I've got a lot but my main ones are...

- Jim friggin' Leyritz HR off of Mark Wohlers which killed the Braves' WS momentum
- Two words...Tyus Edney
- Colorado's 5th Down TD
- Chiefs v. Colts...the kicker that shall go unnamed...nuff said.
- Arsenal losing the CL Final to Barcelona in 2006
- Payne Stewart making a bomb to win the '99 U.S. Open over Phil Mickelson
- Steve Yzerman's miracle OT slap shot to beat the Blues in '96

milkman
05-08-2010, 08:05 AM
The kicker that shall go unnamed?

You're talking about Lin....Elliot, aren't you?

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Does anybody remember Louie Agiar's fake punt hail merry ? That was such a wonderful play !

Ugly Duck
05-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Jamarcus Russell strapping on a helmet.

Reaper16
05-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Any playoff loss for any team I root for. Those losses linger the longest.

warpaint*
05-08-2010, 08:13 AM
5th down - CU
Kicked ball - Neb
2005-2008 D2 NC games, 05 being the most gut wrenching.
the kicker that shall go unnamedt
07 WC game vs Denver

FireDogg
05-08-2010, 08:17 AM
KU vs Northern Iowa. WTF Self/Sherron

Bane
05-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Our 95 and 97 playoffs.:cuss:

blaise
05-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Brett Hull scoring the game winning goal in game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals against Buffalo.
And Aaron Boone witting a walk off home run to beat Boston in the 2003 ALCS. This one doesn't hurt anymore because of the two World Series Boston's won since, but at the time it hurt my feelings bad. I had a little Thing 1 toy that came in a box of cereal as a Cat in the Hat movie tie-in. During the playoffs I convinced myself it was good luck. After Boone hit that homer I actually went to the kitchen, got a knife, stabbed it in it's stomach and then went outside and buried it in the dirt.

siberian khatru
05-08-2010, 08:46 AM
9th inning Game 5 1977 ALCS
Thurman Munson off Doug Bird 1978 ALCS

(note: the 76 Chambliss HR was of course a killer, but it stung slightly less because I was "just happy to be there" in the Royals' first playoff)

NU flea-kicker vs. MU
Tyus Edney

(Note: the 5th down doesn't hurt as much because MU sucked that year and I wasn't actually watching the game when it happened)

Unnamed kicker 1995 playoff

(Note: I was not following pro sports on Christmas 1971. In addition, the 1997 playoff loss to Denver stung a bit less because the Donks were very good and I had a feeling we'd lose the game. In contrast, the 95 loss left me numb for days afterward.)

milkman
05-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Lin....Elliot

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2010, 09:12 AM
1998 - In the TWA dome KSU blows a 15 point lead in the final 4:02 to got to OT and lose the Big 12 CCG. THAT still stings to this day.

That c*ck...... Doug Bird giving up the HR to Munson. I'll never, ever forgive or forget that. Into the monuments. Munson had not hit a HR since July because of a collision at the plate. (I think it was Willie Wilson who mauled him in that collision).

John Mayberry dropping foul pop up in game 4 of the same series that extended an inning and cost the Royals a lead and a win. Blamed it ona toothache. Traded Mayberry to Toronto for a vintage 1966 Rocky Colavito Louisville Slugger in the off season. I think Toronto threw in some novocaine to sweeten the deal for John.

1988 Midwest Regional Final - Lost to KU for the right to advance to KC for the FF. Still stings.

1980 - Game 1 of the World Series vs the Phils. Darrell Porter rounds third base and heads home, the outfield throw beats him by two steps. Does he crash into Bob Boone? No. Porter stops and allows Boone two options:

1) Tag him out

2) Propose marriage.

Boone opts for the former. (Rest in peace Darell)

Chiefs Rool
05-08-2010, 09:28 AM
after K-State had a shit year, watching the gayhawks win an orange bowl was horrible.

Lex Luthor
05-08-2010, 09:33 AM
The 5th game of the 1977 playoffs between the Royals and the Yankees. The Royals took a 3-2 lead into the 9th inning. Back then the playoffs were best 3 out of 5, so the Royals were three outs away from going to the World Series.

Whitey Herzog brought in Dennis Leonard to pitch the 9th inning (that was before the days of one closer who ALWAYS pitches the 9th inning in a save situation). Everyone was cheering because Leonard was a 20 game winner that year and pitched great down the stretch.

I was sitting out in right field, and I watched in horror along with everybody else as the Yankees scored 3 runs in the 9th inning without ever really hitting the ball hard.

I've never seen 40,000 people sit in complete silence after a game. At least half of them were openly crying.

The sad thing is, those were the good old days.

siberian khatru
05-08-2010, 09:35 AM
1998 - In the TWA dome KSU blows a 15 point lead in the final 4:02 to got to OT and lose the Big 12 CCG. THAT still stings to this day.

That c*ck...... Doug Bird giving up the HR to Munson. I'll never, ever forgive or forget that. Into the monuments. Munson had not hit a HR since July because of a collision at the plate. (I think it was Willie Wilson who mauled him in that collision).

John Mayberry dropping foul pop up in game 4 of the same series that extended an inning and cost the Royals a lead and a win. Blamed it ona toothache. Traded Mayberry to Toronto for a vintage 1966 Rocky Colavito Louisville Slugger in the off season. I think Toronto threw in some novocaine to sweeten the deal for John.

1988 Midwest Regional Final - Lost to KU for the right to advance to KC for the FF. Still stings.

1980 - Game 1 of the World Series vs the Phils. Darrell Porter rounds third base and heads home, the outfield throw beats him by two steps. Does he crash into Bob Boone? No. Porter stops and allows Boone two options:

1) Tag him out

2) Propose marriage.

Boone opts for the former. (Rest in peace Darell)

I always get a kick out of the fact that we share the trauma of the Munson homer. As much as I despise Bird for that, I still blame Whitey for bringing him in. Bird sucked that year and he had Hrabosky, who not only was better but who had been acquired that year just for those situations. So fuck you, Whitey.

Also, Bill James had a great description of the Porter tiptoeing into home plate moments in the WS in his 1981 Abstract (IIRC it actually happened twice). I can't find that book on my shelves right now (hope I haven't lost it ... I've got everything from 1982 and up), but he wrote something like: Porter tiptoed into home plate like Granny sneaking in the back door of the kitchen after cavorting with the milkman.

Lex Luthor
05-08-2010, 09:38 AM
John Mayberry dropping foul pop up in game 4 of the same series that extended an inning and cost the Royals a lead and a win. Blamed it ona toothache.
I heard that it wasn't really a toothache, and that he came to the park stoned.

siberian khatru
05-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I've never seen 40,000 people sit in complete silence after a game. At least half of them were openly crying.

It's still painful, and I remember bawling like a baby in my bedroom watching it on my little black-and-white TV. I walked downstairs to my mom in the kitchen and said, "The Royals lost again." I was 11 years old.

But you know, all I have to do is think of Brett's titanic HR off Gossage in 1980 and I feel better. That was such a cathartic moment. It was the greatest moment in my sporting life, even greater than the 85 championship, because it FINALLY stuck it to the Yankees and in such awesome and dramatic fashion.

siberian khatru
05-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I heard that it wasn't really a toothache, and that he came to the park stoned.

He'd been out with his brothers/cousins the night before. We can use our imaginations.

ClevelandBronco
05-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Red Right 88.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Right_88

The Drive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drive

The Fumble.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fumble

The Shot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shot

Damn. Cleveland's frustration can be wrapped up in so few words.

The Blown Save (Okay. This one doesn't actually have a name.)
1997 Indians World Series — Cleveland becomes the first team to lose the Series after carrying the lead into the bottom of the ninth inning of the seventh game.

Dave Lane
05-08-2010, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=milkman;6745346]The kicker that shall go unnamed?

Fee Fie Foe Fum I smell some neg rep a come!

mlyonsd
05-08-2010, 09:46 AM
97 Chief's/Bronco's playoff game. Took the whole family.
70 Chief/Miami Christmas Day game. Only time I heard my Grandma say the F word.
80 something March Madness, Iowa leading UNLV by more than 20 and losing in the end.

Being a life long Chief fan all the rest blur together.

sd4chiefs
05-08-2010, 09:49 AM
November 26th, 2000. The San Diego Chargers kick a late field goal to beat the Chiefs 17 to 16 and win their only game of the year. Warren Moon was the starter for the Chiefs and he sucked A$$. After the game I was stuck in the parking lot for an hour and had to liston to all the Charger Fans running around yelling CHIEFS SUCK

milkman
05-08-2010, 09:49 AM
[quote=milkman;6745346]The kicker that shall go unnamed?

Fee Fie Foe Fum I smell some neg rep a come!

I really don't care.

You useless fucking dumbasses that blame Lin....Elliot for that loss are too fucking stupid to matter.

Everyone knew that Lin....Elliot sucked ass, and yet Marty kept putting him into position to fail.

I don't blame Lin....Elliot, I expected him to fail.

I blame Marty.

But you dumbasses keep blaming the wrong damn person for the loss.

And every time I see that "Lin Elliot" reference, I will post Lin......Elliot.

Useless dumbasses.

DJJasonp
05-08-2010, 09:54 AM
I'll base my responses on the "sting" that occurred...and how long it lingered...

Royals lose to Yankees in ALCS - Freddie Patek crying on bench

The BS holding call on Okoye's run, thus making Lowery's FG against the dolphins in '90 10 yds back....and missing the winning FG by a you-know-what hair

Mike bibby and Arizona break my heart....my favorite Hawk team ever misses the final four in '97

Elvis Girlbac pisses home-field advantage away against Donks

DJJasonp
05-08-2010, 09:57 AM
November 26th, 2000. The San Diego Chargers kick a late field goal to beat the Chiefs 17 to 16 and win their only game of the year. Warren Moon was the starter for the Chiefs and he sucked A$$. After the game I was stuck in the parking lot for an hour and had to liston to all the Charger Fans running around yelling CHIEFS SUCK

Heh....I was there too....and I remember it well! I have a charger fan friend of mine to this day reminds me "If we're going to win one game a year, I want it to be against the chiefs!"

What people forget about that game is that Grbac was being a big vagina and decided not to play....and came back next week (to suck as usual).

What a choad he was....collecting a paycheck, nothing more.

DJJasonp
05-08-2010, 09:58 AM
It's still painful, and I remember bawling like a baby in my bedroom watching it on my little black-and-white TV. I walked downstairs to my mom in the kitchen and said, "The Royals lost again." I was 11 years old.

But you know, all I have to do is think of Brett's titanic HR off Gossage in 1980 and I feel better. That was such a cathartic moment. It was the greatest moment in my sporting life, even greater than the 85 championship, because it FINALLY stuck it to the Yankees and in such awesome and dramatic fashion.

agreed....probably my greatest sports memory as well. I remember that people were literally out on their porches and front yards screaming....you could hear the whole neighborhood rejoicing! What a moment!

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I always get a kick out of the fact that we share the trauma of the Munson homer. As much as I despise Bird for that, I still blame Whitey for bringing him in. Bird sucked that year and he had Hrabosky, who not only was better but who had been acquired that year just for those situations. So **** you, Whitey.

Also, Bill James had a great description of the Porter tiptoeing into home plate moments in the WS in his 1981 Abstract (IIRC it actually happened twice). I can't find that book on my shelves right now (hope I haven't lost it ... I've got everything from 1982 and up), but he wrote something like: Porter tiptoed into home plate like Granny sneaking in the back door of the kitchen after cavorting with the milkman.

Close: "Porter rounded third and headed home like he was trying to sneak into bed with the gardeners wife..."

ClevelandBronco
05-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Here's one that goes beyond fan loyalties. Howard Cosell reports the shooting death of John Lennon on Monday Night Football.

Embedding is disabled, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gcdz1IRVoM

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Man, I can't believe you guys are listing non-Chiefs games. We have a cornucopia of Chiefs games to mention.

Top of the list: The Elliott loss to the Colts. That was a team we should've blown out. Blown out. Not even close. We should've had the second team playing at the start of the fourth quarter. It was the worst game plan I've ever seen. I don't even blame Elliott so much as I blame Paul Hackett, who completely shut us down. Hackett is the biggest villain in Chiefs history.

Here's the starting lineup that beat us. Tell me who you recognize:

Jim Harbaugh QB
Lamont Warren RB
Zack Crockett FB
Sean Dawkins WR
Floyd Turner WR
Ken Dilger TE
Will Wolford LT
Kipp Vickers LG
Kirk Lowdermilk C
Joe Staysniak RG
Jason Mathews RT
Bernard Whittington LDE
Tony McCoy LDT
Ellis Johnson DT
Tony Bennett RDE
Steve Grant LLB
Jeff Herrod MLB
Quentin Coryatt RLB
Ray Buchanan LCB
Ashley Ambrose RCB
David Tate SS
Jason Belser FS

And here's our starting lineup in that game. Tell me who on the Colts would have started on our team.

Steve Bono QB
Marcus Allen RB
Kimble Anders FB
Webster Slaughter WR
Willie Davis WR
Keith Cash TE
John Alt LT
Dave Szott LG
Tim Grunhard C
Will Shields RG
Ricky Siglar RT
Neil Smith LDE
Joe Phillips LDT
Dan Saleaumua RDT
Vaughn Booker RDE
Derrick Thomas LLB
Tracy Simien MLB
Anthony Davis RLB
Dale Carter LCB
James Hasty RCB
Brian Washington SS
Mark Collins FS

2nd: Broncos' Super Bowl theft in 1997. Even more than having them steal our playoff game, I was sick to my stomach when they stole the Super Bowl and that horrible overrated mediocre quarterback of theirs was carrying around the trophy and the announcers were fawning over his victory over sportsmanship and honor. It was proof that cheating and dirty play and selfishness pays off. A quarterback who cheated the salary cap by artificially lowering his salary, and who refused to go to the team that drafted him, and a team that cheated on the salary cap, and a team with Romanowski and Nalen and a bunch of other dirty players gets to claim a championship. And living in Denver, I could hear fireworks or gunshots or whatever as the thugs celebrated. It was horrible.

3. Christmas Day, 1971. 'Nuff said. This might rank higher if I had been older, but at the time there was always next year and we had a Super Bowl trophy that didn't yet need dusting.

4. Playoff game theft, 1997. See #2 above.

5. Indy non-punting playoff game. Can't even force one punt. The only drive where we didn't score cost us the game. Damn you to hell, Greg Robinson, damn you to hell right next to Paul Hackett.

6. Buffalo AFC championship game. I didn't like Buffalo at all (Thurman Thomas? Jim Kelly? Jerks all of them.), and we'd had such a cinderella run to beat Houston and Pittsburgh that this blowout hurt.

7. Jon Baker kicks away the playoffs. Maybe we wouldn't have gone far anyway, but to lose a playoff-clinching game in such a ludicrous manner really hurt.

8. Miami playoff loss. That loss where we kicked the game-winning field goal and then had holding called and missed the second kick, or however that went down. Can't really remember now. It hurt at the time, but at the same time it was such a treat to be in the playoffs at that point that it hurt less.

9. The Raider Super Bowl win in 1982 or whenever. The 1977 one hurt a lot, but the '82 one was worse due to personal circumstances. It was the only time I was ever hospitalized, and I had to watch the Raiders win from a hospital bed. You younger people don't know how repugnant the Raiders were in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. They were far worse than the Broncos of the 90s, even with Elway in the mix.

10. The DT seven-sack game. Wow. What a horrible ending. I went to see that game and had to drive four hours home with a sour taste in my mouth. He was so close to getting #8, and to have it happen on a game-winning pass was simply cruel.

There have been tons of crushing regular-season losses, and probably a few that might knock the above out of the top ten. However, I heal from regular season losses more quickly and the scars aren't as visible.

CoMoChief
05-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Colts playoff game, Lin Elliott hands down.

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2010, 10:15 AM
I always get a kick out of the fact that we share the trauma of the Munson homer. As much as I despise Bird for that, I still blame Whitey for bringing him in. Bird sucked that year and he had Hrabosky, who not only was better but who had been acquired that year just for those situations. So **** you, Whitey.

The reason that HR broke me in spirit is (and you know this as well) the Royals came back against Gossage in the top of the 8th on a 2B by AO, a 1B by Porter and run scoring FC by Hurdle. WE HAD THE FUCKING GAME IN OUR HANDS! But fate and that percentage playing White Rat intervened.

Bringing in Bird with one out and one on.... When Hrabosky came in he got Reggie on a pop up to LF and K'd Sweet Lou looking.

Between that and the Royals losing game 1 to Jim f'ing Beattie? F***!!!

milkman
05-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Man, I can't believe you guys are listing non-Chiefs games. We have a cornucopia of Chiefs games to mention.

Top of the list: The Elliott loss to the Colts. That was a team we should've blown out. Blown out. Not even close. We should've had the second team playing at the start of the fourth quarter. It was the worst game plan I've ever seen. I don't even blame Elliott so much as I blame Paul Hackett, who completely shut us down. Hackett is the biggest villain in Chiefs history.

Jim Harbaugh QB
Lamont Warren RB
Zack Crockett FB
Sean Dawkins WR
Floyd Turner WR
Ken Dilger TE
Will Wolford LT
Kipp Vickers LG
Kirk Lowdermilk C
Joe Staysniak RG
Jason Mathews RT
Bernard Whittington LDE
Tony McCoy LDT
Ellis Johnson DT
Tony Bennett RDE
Steve Grant LLB
Jeff Herrod MLB
Quentin Coryatt RLB
Ray Buchanan LCB
Ashley Ambrose RCB
David Tate SS
Jason Belser FS

And here's our starting lineup in that game. Tell me who on the Colts would have started on our team.

Steve Bono QB
Marcus Allen RB
Kimble Anders FB
Webster Slaughter WR
Willie Davis WR
Keith Cash TE
John Alt LT
Dave Szott LG
Tim Grunhard C
Will Shields RG
Ricky Siglar RT
Neil Smith LDE
Joe Phillips LDT
Dan Saleaumua RDT
Vaughn Booker RDE
Derrick Thomas LLB
Tracy Simien MLB
Anthony Davis RLB
Dale Carter LCB
James Hasty RCB
Brian Washington SS
Mark Collins FS

Jim Harbaugh.

Not an important positin, though.

milkman
05-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Colts playoff game, the kicker that shall go unnamedt hands down.

Lin....Elliot.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2010, 10:19 AM
The Kicked Ball Game
Winged Foot. 18th Hole, 2006.
The 2001 PGA Championship
Game 6 of the 2005 NLCS
Yzerman scoring on Casey in Double overtime of Game 7
Elliot
The Denver Game
The Manning Game
Khalid Reeves and Damon Stoudamire eviscerating Missouri in 1994
Tyus Edney

But the worst was the cast of Fever Pitch sullying the field of Busch Stadium by filming their movie on the grounds after the Cardinals had the class to open up the gates to let Boston fans in late during Game 4 of the WS.

I'll root for Al Qaeda before I ever root for the Red Sox in any matchup.

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2010, 10:22 AM
The 5th game of the 1977 playoffs between the Royals and the Yankees. The Royals took a 3-2 lead into the 9th inning. Back then the playoffs were best 3 out of 5, so the Royals were three outs away from going to the World Series.

Whitey Herzog brought in Dennis Leonard to pitch the 9th inning (that was before the days of one closer who ALWAYS pitches the 9th inning in a save situation). Everyone was cheering because Leonard was a 20 game winner that year and pitched great down the stretch.

I was sitting out in right field, and I watched in horror along with everybody else as the Yankees scored 3 runs in the 9th inning without ever really hitting the ball hard.

The sad thing is, those were the good old days.

I don't blame Whitey for wheeling Leo in there to put them away. If Joe Burke would have done his job and developed or procured a closer like the Yanks did, we'd be talking about the "3 time WS Champion" KC Royals.

milkman
05-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Paul Hackett was just another symptom.

Joe Pendry, Hackett, Jimmy Raye (chosen ove Al Saunders).

They fit exactly what Marty liked to do.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Jim Harbaugh QB
Lamont Warren RB
Zack Crockett FB
Sean Dawkins WR
Floyd Turner WR
Ken Dilger TE
Will Wolford LT
Kipp Vickers LG
Kirk Lowdermilk C
Joe Staysniak RG
Jason Mathews RT
Bernard Whittington LDE
Tony McCoy LDT
Ellis Johnson DT
Tony Bennett RDE
Steve Grant LLB
Jeff Herrod MLB
Quentin Coryatt RLB
Ray Buchanan LCB
Ashley Ambrose RCB
David Tate SS
Jason Belser FS

Steve Bono QB
Marcus Allen RB
Kimble Anders FB
Webster Slaughter WR
Willie Davis WR
Keith Cash TE
John Alt LT
Dave Szott LG
Tim Grunhard C
Will Shields RG
Ricky Siglar RT
Neil Smith LDE
Joe Phillips LDT
Dan Saleaumua RDT
Vaughn Booker RDE
Derrick Thomas LLB
Tracy Simien MLB
Anthony Davis RLB
Dale Carter LCB
James Hasty RCB
Brian Washington SS
Mark Collins FS

2nd: Broncos' Super Bowl theft in 1997. Even more than having them steal our playoff game, I was sick to my stomach when they stole the Super Bowl and that horrible overrated mediocre quarterback of theirs was carrying around the trophy and the announcers were fawning over his victory over sportsmanship and honor. It was proof that cheating and dirty play and selfishness pays off. A quarterback who cheated the salary cap by artificially lowering his salary, and who refused to go to the team that drafted him, and a team that cheated on the salary cap, and a team with Romanowski and Nalen and a bunch of other dirty players gets to claim a championship. And living in Denver, I could hear fireworks or gunshots or whatever as the thugs celebrated. It was horrible.

3. Christmas Day, 1971. 'Nuff said. This might rank higher if I had been older, but at the time there was always next year and we had a Super Bowl trophy that didn't yet need dusting.

4. Playoff game theft, 1997. See #2 above.

5. Indy non-punting playoff game. Can't even force one punt. The only drive where we didn't score cost us the game. Damn you to hell, Greg Robinson, damn you to hell right next to Paul Hackett.

6. Buffalo AFC championship game. I didn't like Buffalo at all (Thurman Thomas? Jim Kelly? Jerks all of them.), and we'd had such a cinderella run to beat Houston and Pittsburgh that this blowout hurt.

7. Jon Baker kicks away the playoffs. Maybe we wouldn't have gone far anyway, but to lose a playoff-clinching game in such a ludicrous manner really hurt.

8. Miami playoff loss. That loss where we kicked the game-winning field goal and then had holding called and missed the second kick, or however that went down. Can't really remember now. It hurt at the time, but at the same time it was such a treat to be in the playoffs at that point that it hurt less.

9. The Raider Super Bowl win in 1982 or whenever. The 1977 one hurt a lot, but the '82 one was worse due to personal circumstances. It was the only time I was ever hospitalized, and I had to watch the Raiders win from a hospital bed. You younger people don't know how repugnant the Raiders were in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. They were far worse than the Broncos of the 90s, even with Elway in the mix.

10. The DT seven-sack game. Wow. What a horrible ending. I went to see that game and had to drive four hours home with a sour taste in my mouth. He was so close to getting #8, and to have it happen on a game-winning pass was simply cruel.

There have been tons of crushing regular-season losses, and probably a few that might knock the above out of the top ten. However, I heal from regular season losses more quickly and the scars aren't as visible.

You did a better job than I would have. The top two absolutely crushed me.

Predarat
05-08-2010, 10:24 AM
In Person
Titans vs Ravens in 2000/2001 Playoffs (Al Del Greco 3 missed FGs = Kicker that shall go unamed for the Titans)
Nashville Predators vs Sharks in both the 2006,2007 playoffs (lost 1-4 in both when higher seeded team)

TV
The kicker that shall go unamed
The Chiefs starting Elvis instead of Gannon and choking vs the Doncs
Titans choking vs the Ravens yet again in the 2009 playoffs
Preds losing to Blackhawks in OT, Hawks scored with 14 sec left to send game to OT

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2010, 10:25 AM
And a hearty "Rest In Peace" to Joe Burke.

For the small failings you did have, your teams gave me many more great memories than bad.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Jim Harbaugh.

But Crockett and Belser both played important roles in the 32 _efense

Rain Man
[quote=Dave Lane;6745536]

I really don't care.

You useless ****ing dumbasses that blame Lin....Elliot for that loss are too ****ing stupid to matter.

Everyone knew that Lin....Elliot sucked ass, and yet Marty kept putting him into position to fail.

I blame Marty.

And every time I see that "the kicker that shall go unnamed" reference, I will post Lin......Elliot.

Useless dumbasses.

While we may disagree on the real villain (it was Hackett, not Marty), I tend to agree with you that Elliott has borne too much blame for that loss. He deserves blame, no doubt, but it was the worst game plan ever devised, and Hackett was playing for field goals (or maybe just yards) on a field where field goals were going to be hard to make. As Elliott himself said, the other kicker missed two of three that day, too.

Our team was so superior to the Colts that it shouldn't even have been close.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I once blamed Jon Baker for Derrick Thomas' death.

prhom
05-08-2010, 10:26 AM
The Chiefs have provided so many really awful moments over the years that it's too hard for me to pick just one from that group. So I'd have to say the Rams/Titans superbowl when Derrick Mason was tackled just shy of the endzone. The Titans were my second team that year and I had really hoped that they would make up for the Chiefs disappointment.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't see how someone could blame Hackett there.

Elliot missed XPs in the Dolphins and Raiders games late in the season and Marty still wouldn't shitcan his ass.

It's not like he had a Nate Kaeding game out of nowhere. HE WAS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS. And Marty let him off the hook.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Jim Harbaugh.

I count five of the 22 starters on the Colts who would've started for the Chiefs:

Harbaugh over Bono
Dawkins over Slaughter
Dilger over Cash
Bennett over Booker
Herrod possibly over Simien

It's not like Harbaugh was an all-star, though. He was a below-average quarterback.

If we played this game 100 times, we would've won 99 even with Hackett on our side.

BossChief
05-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Mine was when Montana got the concussion against Buffalo TBH...the LE game was a close second.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Quentin Coryatt was a much better player than Anthony Davis.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't absolve Marty, and you guys are right that Elliott was struggling coming in. And Marty was famous for going into a shell in the playoffs. But Marty was coaching the whole team. Hackett should've gone to him and said, "Look, our kicker is a goner. We have to score touchdowns, and I need to open this up. My job is to be sure that we score points." Hackett was our first offensive coordinator who was content for a three-yard gain on third and five. I still remember Gunther asking about it one time, and Hackett's response was, "We'll just get a few yards and punt. We'll get the ball back later."

Of course, I also remember reading about Lin Elliott telling Jimmy Johnson in Dallas that he had lost his confidence, and Johnson cut him before the next game. And then we end up picking him up. Ouch.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Quentin Coryatt was a much better player than Anthony Davis.

The big name gave me pause, but did he ever really do much other than collect a big paycheck? Davis is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated players the Chiefs ever fielded. That guy was great in his role, but he didn't get the big stats because he played opposite DT.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't absolve Marty, and you guys are right that Elliott was struggling coming in. And Marty was famous for going into a shell in the playoffs. But Marty was coaching the whole team. Hackett should've gone to him and said, "Look, our kicker is a goner. We have to score touchdowns, and I need to open this up. My job is to be sure that we score points." Hackett was our first offensive coordinator who was content for a three-yard gain on third and five. I still remember Gunther asking about it one time, and Hackett's response was, "We'll just get a few yards and punt. We'll get the ball back later."

Of course, I also remember reading about the kicker that shall go unnamedt telling Jimmy Johnson in Dallas that he had lost his confidence, and Johnson cut him before the next game. And then we end up picking him up. Ouch.

If the head coach needs the advice of the offensive coordinator, and not the ST coach or his own two eyes, to see that a kicker missing XPs is not worth having, then he deserves absolutely all of the blame.

siberian khatru
05-08-2010, 10:37 AM
And a hearty "Rest In Peace" to Joe Burke.

For the small failings you did have, your teams gave me many more great memories than bad.

And to Cedric Tallis, who really laid the foundation for Joe.

philfree
05-08-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm sure this is a repost but I'm bored and I was discussing this topic with co-workers last night.

What are your worst sporting moments...limited to actual on the field stuff. I've got a lot but my main ones are...

- Jim friggin' Leyritz HR off of Mark Wohlers which killed the Braves' WS momentum
- Two words...Tyus Edney
- Colorado's 5th Down TD
- Chiefs v. Colts...the kicker that shall go unnamed...nuff said.
- Arsenal losing the CL Final to Barcelona in 2006
- Payne Stewart making a bomb to win the '99 U.S. Open over Phil Mickelson
- Steve Yzerman's miracle OT slap shot to beat the Blues in '96

That's one of my favorites.

PhilFree:arrow:

siberian khatru
05-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Close: "Porter rounded third and headed home like he was trying to sneak into bed with the gardeners wife..."

Awesome! You had that memorized? :thumb:

Frazod
05-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Mine was when Montana got the concussion against Buffalo TBH...the LE game was a close second.

Yeah, that was a bad one. We should have got the Montana-led Chiefs v. 49ers for the best Super Bowl match-up ever - instead the gods decided to piss all over the NFL and the universe and stick us with Buffalo v. New York. Ugh.

But the '98 loss to Denver is still the worst. That day was beyond awful. And I didn't even know at the time that the cocksuckers had cheated.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2010, 10:41 AM
The big name gave me pause, but did he ever really do much other than collect a big paycheck? Davis is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated players the Chiefs ever fielded. That guy was great in his role, but he didn't get the big stats because he played opposite DT.

Before he got hurt, Coryatt had 150 tackles in his second year as an outside linebacker.

He was a beast who was cut down by injuries.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Before he got hurt, Coryatt had 150 tackles in his second year as an outside linebacker.

He was a beast who was cut down by injuries.

I was just looking up the stats of the two players, and I'm willing to concede on Davis, I guess, though I still think it was close. Coryatt apparently had that one really good year and several decent years. Davis actually made had more sacks and more interceptions in a shorter on-field career, but fewer tackles per year.

I still liked Davis a lot, though, and even if you give Coryatt to the Colts that's only 6 of 22 who would start for the Chiefs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I was just looking up the stats of the two players, and I'm willing to concede on Davis, I guess, though I still think it was close. Coryatt apparently had that one really good year and several decent years. Davis actually made had more sacks and more interceptions in a shorter on-field career, but fewer tackles per year.

I still liked Davis a lot, though, and even if you give Coryatt to the Colts that's only 6 of 22 who would start for the Chiefs.

Most of that was injury related. The sad thing about those early 90s Colts is that they picked some really good players high in the draft, like Coryatt and Emtman, but both were cut down by injuries.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2010, 10:49 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1vCZ6zt4Es&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1vCZ6zt4Es&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BossChief
05-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah, that was a bad one. We should have got the Montana-led Chiefs v. 49ers for the best Super Bowl match-up ever - instead the gods decided to piss all over the NFL and the universe and stick us with Buffalo v. New York. Ugh.

But the '98 loss to Denver is still the worst. That day was beyond awful. And I didn't even know at the time that the cocksuckers had cheated.

The only time I thought we had a real chance to win it all was that game before Joe got hurt.

cdcox
05-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I think Elliot distracts from how big of a disaster Bono was in that game. He was just horrible. Even a good offensive line and a strong running game couldn't make him look good.

His stat line from that game:

11-25-122-1-3

Yet despite that terrible game, we kept him as our starter for another year, thinking he was "good enough".

Pablo
05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Lin Elliot

Pablo
05-08-2010, 11:12 AM

I really don't care.

You useless ****ing dumbasses that blame Lin....Elliot for that loss are too ****ing stupid to matter.

I blame Marty.

And every time I see that "the kicker that shall go unnamed" reference, I will post Lin......Elliot.

Useless dumbasses.You do realize that's what the word filter replaces his name with, correct?

Dumbass.

Frazod
05-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I think Elliot distracts from how big of a disaster Bono was in that game. He was just horrible. Even a good offensive line and a strong running game couldn't make him look good.

His stat line from that game:

11-25-122-1-3

Yet despite that terrible game, we kept him as our starter for another year, thinking he was "good enough".

That was during our "he's from San Francisco, he must be Joe Montana" phase. :banghead:

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm willing to allocate blame to Hackett, Schottenheimer, Elliott, and Bono. Anyone else deserve to have the Scarlet L placed on them?

Pablo
05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm willing to allocate blame to Hackett, Schottenheimer, Elliott, and Bono. Anyone else deserve to have the Scarlet L placed on them?the kicker that shall go unnamed gets the blame because his entire job as an NFL player is to kick a ****ing football through the uprights. Nobody asked him to orchestrate game winning drives; or rush for 150 yards and 2 TD's. Or make a big stop on 4th and 2 for a possession change.

He has to come out when he is asked to and kick a football. Just kick the mother****er straight and hard. And he couldn't. Kickers deserve the stigma they get. When you get paid a very fair salary to step onto a field a couple of times a game and kick a ball; you deserve to be the scapegoat if you **** that up.

Your kicker is supposed to be a security blanket of sorts for when your offense comes up short.

Gadzooks
05-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Most of that was injury related. The sad thing about those early 90s Colts is that they picked some really good players high in the draft, like Coryatt and Emtman, but both were cut down by injuries.

Emtman was awesome. What a shame.:shake:

cdcox
05-08-2010, 11:55 AM
the kicker that shall go unnamed gets the blame because his entire job as an NFL player is to kick a ****ing football through the uprights. Nobody asked him to orchestrate game winning drives; or rush for 150 yards and 2 TD's. Or make a big stop on 4th and 2 for a possession change.

He has to come out when he is asked to and kick a football. Just kick the mother****er straight and hard. And he couldn't. Kickers deserve the stigma they get. When you get paid a very fair salary to step onto a field a couple of times a game and kick a ball; you deserve to be the scapegoat if you **** that up.

Your kicker is supposed to be a security blanket of sorts for when your offense comes up short.

Never trust a keeker. Their whole function in the universe is fail at a key moment and rip your heart out.

Gadzooks
05-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Never trust a keeker. Their whole function in the universe is fail at a key moment and rip your heart out.

Tell me aboot it.:doh!:

niblet
05-08-2010, 11:58 AM
2006 Iowa-Florida Outback Bowl -- One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. I was upset as hell after this. The first half of this video shows the officiating errors, in case you're interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vRYakQgkI

2005 NCAA Tourney Arizona-Illinois Regional Final -- I had 3-seeded Arizona winning it all in my bracket and watched in horror as they blew a 15 point lead (I think) with a few minutes left.

And as a fan of all Iowa college teams, March Madness has shat on my soul until this year with UNI.
--2 Iowa State loses to 15 Hampton in 2001. Hampton scores the go-ahead bucket with a few seconds and Tinsley misses a layup at the buzzer.
--3 Iowa loses to 14 Northwestern St. on a miracle 3 in the corner with 1 second.
--5 Drake loses to 12 Western Kentucky on the ugliest looking 3-pointer ever at the buzzer.

Pablo
05-08-2010, 11:58 AM

True. I won't trust Succop until he's kicked multiple playoff game winners for us.

ChiefsCountry
05-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Never trust a kicker at all, hell Stenurd was the greatest of all time and he lost the Miami game.

cdcox
05-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Never trust a kicker at all, hell Stenurd was the greatest of all time and he lost the Miami game.

Actually the first miss was Bobby Bell's fault.

It was supposed to be a direct snap to Stenerud, who probably would have scored a TD on the play.

But Stenerud carried out the pre-snap fake so well, concentrating on the spot where the ball would be placed, that Bobby Bell, the long snapper, thought that Stenerrud had missed the call. He snapped it to Dawson, who was surprised to get the ball and the timing of the kick was all off.

ChiefsCountry
05-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Actually the first miss was Bobby Bell's fault.

It was supposed to be a direct snap to Stenerud, who probably would have scored a TD on the play.

But Stenerud carried out the pre-snap fake so well, concentrating on the spot where the ball would be placed, that Bobby Bell, the long snapper, thought that Stenerrud had missed the call. He snapped it to Dawson, who was surprised to get the ball and the timing of the kick was all off.

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. Even more remarkable is 3 Hall of Famers playing special teams. Bet you will never see that again.

Chiefspants
05-08-2010, 01:35 PM

I really don't care.

I blame Marty.

Useless dumbasses.

I would argue that King Carl was at fault, for he was the one who signed a kicker that had missed eight field goals the year before.

Ebolapox
05-08-2010, 01:42 PM
And Aaron Boone witting a walk off home run to beat Boston in the 2003 ALCS. This one doesn't hurt anymore because of the two World Series Boston's won since, but at the time it hurt my feelings bad. I had a little Thing 1 toy that came in a box of cereal as a Cat in the Hat movie tie-in. During the playoffs I convinced myself it was good luck. After Boone hit that homer I actually went to the kitchen, got a knife, stabbed it in it's stomach and then went outside and buried it in the dirt.

that one hurt BAD... fucking aaron boone.

any time a team I hate wins a major championship (yankees last year, jayhawks, broncos in 97/98)...

the playoff losses to the colts (95&03) and broncos (97).

any time elway came back (snatching victory from the jaws of defeat) and beat us in the last few minutes.

RJ
05-08-2010, 01:48 PM
12/25/71. While the pain has lessened with time, it still lingers.

WilliamTheIrish
05-08-2010, 02:36 PM
And to Cedric Tallis, who really laid the foundation for Joe.

Absolutely. Cedric Tallis was as shrewd wheeler/dealer and swung some unbelievable trades to get the Royals in position to win fast.

DJJasonp
05-08-2010, 02:37 PM
There was a regular season game in '92...at mile high....where I thought...hell, there's less than 4 minutes left in the game.

We're up 19-6....feeling like a victory in Denver for the first time in a long time...

Only to watch Marty go into "prevent offense" mode....and Elway throws 3 TD's within 4 minutes to beat the chiefs

I remember thinking....you've GOT to be kidding, right?

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. Even more remarkable is 3 Hall of Famers playing special teams. Bet you will never see that again.

Never trust a linebacker in the playoffs.

milkman
05-08-2010, 02:47 PM
[quote=milkman;6745554]You do realize that's what the word filter replaces his name with, correct?

Dumbass.

Yes I do, dumbass.

But I think it's the stupidest fucking thing these mods have ever done.

That's why everytime I see that stupid shit, I write "Lin.....Elliot".

I respond harshly to the dumbasses that don't like it that I do, dumbass.

Pioli Zombie
05-08-2010, 03:06 PM
1. before the ball went through Buckners legs. Bob Stanleys wild pitch to tie the game is what tore my heart out. A fucking wild pitch. I already knew the Series was lost.
2. 1978. Bucky Dent. 99 win season down the drain.
3. 1979 Stanley Cup Semifinals. Bruins are up by a goal with 2 minutes left in Game 7 at Montreal. They get called for Too many men on the ice. Give up a power play goal with a minute left. Lose in OT
4. 2003. Grady Little leaves Pedro in. Aaron Boone. The Patriots winning the Super Bowl4 months later and 2 Red Sox titles dropped this from 1A with 1986 to #4.

Sanka
05-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Colts vs Chiefs playoff games

Chiefs vs Broncos playoff game

Big Shot Bob game winning 3 vs Pistons game 5

BC vs #1 Notre Dame

When Scott Pioli fucked up the draft 2 years in a row