PDA

View Full Version : Life The best e-reader?

R8RFAN
05-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Want to buy the wife one of those e-book readers
Would appreciate some feedback on those of you who own one.

ziggysocki
05-09-2010, 07:49 AM
I use Stanza app on my iPhone. I thought I would try it before spending more $$ on another device. The size is not an issue at all... if anything, it is better because I always have it with me. Most smartphones have some type of e-reader software available. I would try that first. If she still has a Razr or something then I would check out the Kindle, Sony Reader or the Nook from Barnes and Noble.

chiefzilla1501
05-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Want to buy the wife one of those e-book readers
Would appreciate some feedback on those of you who own one.

I have the Nook. I really like it, but I have a sinking feeling that it's only a matter of time before it becomes obsolete. I can see Amazon continually coming out with better versions of the Kindles and more people using iPads (which I think link up to Kindles). IMportant because that might mean that Amazon will be uploading a lot more books than B&N in the future.

R8RFAN
05-09-2010, 08:06 AM
I have the Nook. I really like it, but I have a sinking feeling that it's only a matter of time before it becomes obsolete. I can see Amazon continually coming out with better versions of the Kindles and more people using iPads (which I think link up to Kindles). IMportant because that might mean that Amazon will be uploading a lot more books than B&N in the future.

The Nook is the one I have been looking at

KCinNY
05-09-2010, 08:13 AM
The Kindle is awesome.

Many books are free and most are only $9.99.

bevischief
05-09-2010, 08:24 AM
http://www.komando.com/buyguide/index.aspx?id=7819

soonersfreak
05-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Just went through the e-reader process.

The key factor is whether the user is a heavy book reader.

If so, I recommend buying the low-priced Kindle. If not, I recommend buying the iPad.

Been using my Blackberry for years to read for up to 10 minutes. Handy approach but annoying for long reading sessions.

Researched and bought a Nook. Used it one week and took it back. They're not ready for Prime Time in my opinion. Slow response. First electronic device I've ever returned.

My business partner has been using the Sony reader. He thinks it's okay, but nothing to write home about.

Despite being skeptical of Apple hype - especially from those who have a fetish for everything Mac (like my business partner) - dove in and bought an iPad.

Gotta tell you, it's quite amazing and useful. Reading on it is a real pleasure.

I find it to easy on the eyes, however that may just be me. I'm used to staring at computer screens 12 hours a day.

I don't read a lot of books. My job requires me to read a massive amount of business papers. I receive almost all of them as PDFs. Neither the low priced Kindle (per reviews) or the Nook handle PDFs well.

The iPad handles PDFs brilliantly. The only other reader reputed to handle PDFs well is the Kindle DX...which runs $500. Might as well buy the iPad at that price.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Fritz88
05-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Kindle is great. It's light, works extremely well with low light and under the sun, does not strain your eyes and is probably rated as the best true e-book reader.
iPad is for more general use. You pay a little more than the price of the kindle and get a very impressive multi touch tablet where you can download all kinds of apps, read books (not good in low light situations or at the beach under the sun) but you can browse the net much more smoothly than the kindle, play games, etc.

you have other e-readers such as sony's and hp I believe. But really you should narrow your choice to the aforementioned top two.

both devices have a set of publishers working with them, so that might be a factor as well.

good luck

Mr. Flopnuts
05-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Just went through the e-reader process.

The key factor is whether the user is a heavy book reader.

If so, I recommend buying the low-priced Kindle. If not, I recommend buying the iPad.

Been using my Blackberry for years to read for up to 10 minutes. Handy approach but annoying for long reading sessions.

Researched and bought a Nook. Used it one week and took it back. They're not ready for Prime Time in my opinion. Slow response. First electronic device I've ever returned.

My business partner has been using the Sony reader. He thinks it's okay, but nothing to write home about.

Despite being skeptical of Apple hype - especially from those who have a fetish for everything Mac (like my business partner) - dove in and bought an iPad.

Gotta tell you, it's quite amazing and useful. Reading on it is a real pleasure.

I find it to easy on the eyes, however that may just be me. I'm used to staring at computer screens 12 hours a day.

I don't read a lot of books. My job requires me to read a massive amount of business papers. I receive almost all of them as PDFs. Neither the low priced Kindle (per reviews) or the Nook handle PDFs well.

The iPad handles PDFs brilliantly. The only other reader reputed to handle PDFs well is the Kindle DX...which runs $500. Might as well buy the iPad at that price.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

This could be a record. Six years on this board and this was your first post. Thanks for making it a solid one.

HonestChieffan
05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I dont have one but I was blown away how many they are selling at Apple store

RippedmyFlesh
05-09-2010, 09:57 AM
This could be a record. Six years on this board and this was your first post. Thanks for making it a solid one.
Agree nailed it.
http://www2.bc.edu/%7Emurtaugp/pujols.jpg

R8RFAN
05-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the input, bought her the Nook, will report back how she likes it later

Thanks

Mr. Laz
05-09-2010, 06:34 PM
make sure and update the firmware ... i guess the Nook really helped the response time of the nook in their latest updates.

R8RFAN
05-09-2010, 06:39 PM
make sure and update the firmware ... i guess the Nook really helped the response time of the nook in their latest updates.

We have it all set up and she got her first book and updated firmware... she has been reading it all day so she is happy :clap:

alnorth
05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
I use the kindle. It really depends on whether they are a casual reader or a heavy book reader.

If you are talking about someone who really devours books and hits the store every month for more, you want a Nook or a Kindle. The problem with the ipad is the backlighting. It is a lot easier on the eyes to read an e-ink display without backlighting (provide your own light, using whatever lamp or sunlight you usually use to read). Someone who tries to use the ipad a lot to read will have to deal with the irritation of the bright backlighting.

Mr. Laz
05-09-2010, 06:50 PM
she has been reading it all day so she is happy :clap:

the only thing that matters

teedubya
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
iPad... I read about 3x as much as I used to... and I read a bunch. Love the iPad.

Dave Lane
05-09-2010, 09:51 PM
After a week with my iPad I got to say it totally rocks with 3G.

Posted from my iPad