View Full Version : Movies and TV Betty White on SNL

gblowfish
05-09-2010, 09:33 AM
For an 88 year old woman, she did a great job. Here's my favorite sketch:
Wizard of ASS!

http://www.hulu.com/collections/444/147971

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Freakin great show last night..and she was golden. They came up with some nice material for her.

great to see some of the old gals on there too.

Chiefs Rool
05-09-2010, 09:47 AM
ya, it was the first time I laughed at that show in a while.

the Talking Can
05-09-2010, 09:50 AM
best one i'd seen in a while

the 'she's a lesbian' skit was pretty good...

RedNFeisty
05-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Betty White is a fabulous lady, I saw her on a few roasts, her material was some of the best. I would never of thought she had a filthy mouth and to hear it coming from Betty White is the funniest thing.

cardken
05-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I agree one of the best shows in awhile and great to see some of the "old faces" (no pun intended). White was a super great sport and I too was laughing for the first time in a long time while watching.

mlyonsd
05-09-2010, 11:13 AM
'Dusty Muffin' - "My muffin hasn't had a cherry since 1939".ROFL

We DVR'd it thinking we wouldn't be home but ended up watching it last night. Parts are so funny I'm watching it again today.

Baby Lee
05-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Maya actually made me giggle when she tried to sing as Whitney and the notes were deliciously, perfectly, scratchy and raspy.

Saw 'Dusty Muffin' coming a mile away, but it was still hilarious with the callback to Schwetty Balls.

LaChapelle
05-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Her trying to dance in the spanish sketch got me kinda hot
the neck snapping back like she was getting pounded deep

Sure-Oz
05-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I missed this SNL, do they ever show full eps online?

i usually dont watch SNl cause it sucks

cardken
05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Maya actually made me giggle when she tried to sing as Whitney and the notes were deliciously, perfectly, scratchy and raspy.

Saw 'Dusty Muffin' coming a mile away, but it was still hilarious with the callback to Schwetty Balls.

Both were great , and as regards "Schwetty Balls" I laugh about that all the time from time to time, Baldwin is hosting season ender either next week or the following, can't wait. He will surpass Steve Martin with 9 hosting stints.

Frankie
05-09-2010, 11:57 AM
For an 88 year old woman, she did a great job. Here's my favorite sketch:
Wizard of ASS!

http://www.hulu.com/collections/444/147971

:doh!:

I'm so out of the SNL habit that I totally forgot about this week's one. I really wanted to see this one!!

:banghead:

mlyonsd
05-09-2010, 12:03 PM
:doh!:

I'm so out of the SNL habit that I totally forgot about this week's one. I really wanted to see this one!!

:banghead:

Don't worry, this one will definitely be replayed.

mlyonsd
05-09-2010, 12:05 PM
I missed this SNL, do they ever show full eps online?

i usually dont watch SNl cause it sucks

I couldn't find one. That doesn't mean there isn't or won't be one though.

The Bad Guy
05-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Truth be told, SNL has been pretty good this whole season. There were some shitty one sure, but the material has improved greatly.

It's never going to be on the level it once was, but it's still great comedy.

wazu
05-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Heard a lot about last night's show from people on Facebook, Twitter, etc. I believe that this episode must have been good, but the real story for me is learning that so many people I know actually still watch SNL. I would have expected this to be a tree falling in the woods with nobody around to hear it. Lots of very patient people I guess.

Frankie
05-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Truth be told, SNL has been pretty good this whole season. There were some shitty one sure, but the material has improved greatly.

Truth be told even the original crew sometimes had pointless and unfunny sketches. But when they were funny THEY WERE REAL FUNNY. We just fondly remember the funny ones.

tk13
05-09-2010, 12:59 PM
It was great, she seriously hasn't lost a step. That was probably as consistent of a show as you're gonna get. It didn't lose any steam toward the end. They brought so many people back they hardly had time to work them all in.

It is on hulu if you want to watch. They don't have the Digital Short on there though yet. I watched a couple of the deleted skits and they weren't too bad either.

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 01:15 PM
They don't have the Digital Short on there though yet.

hopefully they put it on..because that was a classic.

FloridaMan88
05-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Betty White did a great job.

This is the first SNL I've watched since the 2008 Election, so my question to those who still watch the show regularly is who are the women cast members who are still actually on the show?

Bane
05-09-2010, 01:25 PM

This is the first SNL I've watched since the 2008 Election, so my question to those who still watch the show regularly is who are the women cast members who are still actually on the show?

It was the first one I've watched in a while.Good job.:D

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 01:28 PM

heh.....Sure SNL has had its down years but every few years it revitalizes itself with fresh new talent. Always has.

tk13
05-09-2010, 01:28 PM
hopefully they put it on..because that was a classic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/09/betty-white-goes-metal-fo_n_569275.html

That's the only link I can find of it. They will probably put it on hulu eventually, I hope.

Pitt Gorilla
05-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I enjoyed the show a great deal. Maya Rudolph is one of my all-time favorites.

the Talking Can
05-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Heard a lot about last night's show from people on Facebook, Twitter, etc. I believe that this episode must have been good, but the real story for me is learning that so many people I know actually still watch SNL. I would have expected this to be a tree falling in the woods with nobody around to hear it. Lots of very patient people I guess.

i only watched because she was hosting....she is comedy gold...i haven't watched a full episode in years

as some one else noted, the good skits were really good...usually snl is a bunch of eh skits with no real good ones...

the macgruber skits were good, the digital short was about 25 secs of holy shit amazing...and the 'she's a lesbian' bit was funny just because it was betty white saying it..."one thing i would not miss....balls"

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/M33_KTQEApqqpbOiVDntuQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/M33_KTQEApqqpbOiVDntuQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Baby Lee
05-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Kristen Wiig
Abby Elliott
Nasim Pedrad
Jenny Slate

I think that's all.

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
the macgruber skits were good,

Speaking of that, the movie opens in a week or two and its been getting suprisingly great reviews.

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Kristen Wiig

Shes incredibly talented....the others are just so so...

FD
05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Great census taker sketch, reminded me of the classic one with Christopher Walken.

KcMizzou
05-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Speaking of that, the movie opens in a week or two and its been getting suprisingly great reviews.Really? Man, I thought the trailer looked horrible.

kysirsoze
05-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I like Betty White and all and she was a great sport, but she didn't make the writing any better. I'm sorry, but the whole old lady with a foul mouth routine is played out for me. And if it wasn't, it would have been after the first sketch or two. She's still a great comedic actress and they used her as almost exclusively a perverted grandma. She could have done a lot more, IMO.

The only reason for SNL being so consistently poorly written is that comedy movies are becoming more sketch-like, drawing the best comedic minds to bigger paychecks. I have a hard time believing people are just getting less funny. SNL is about 10% funnier than MadTV and that's about it. Last night was only slightly above their average for me.

KChiefs1
05-09-2010, 03:05 PM
The best skits were the opening Lawrence Welk bit, The MacGrubers, the Dusty Muffin, She's a Lesbian, Wizard of Ass, the Digital Short, the Census Taker...hell they were all pretty damn good.

arrowheadnation
05-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Happy Mother's Day Mother ****ers!

RealSNR
05-09-2010, 03:10 PM
The last time I watched SNL was this episode close to Christmas. This particular sketch was so goddamn awful I got cancer from watching it. Needless to say, ANYTHING would be an improvement over this garbage. I'm sure Betty White was funny, but I just can't get myself to watch SNL again. At least for awhile.

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/0_6o1-Ci3v02oriQMhrTxg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/0_6o1-Ci3v02oriQMhrTxg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

kysirsoze
05-09-2010, 03:20 PM
The last time I watched SNL was this episode close to Christmas. This particular sketch was so goddamn awful I got cancer from watching it. Needless to say, ANYTHING would be an improvement over this garbage. I'm sure Betty White was funny, but I just can't get myself to watch SNL again. At least for awhile.

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/0_6o1-Ci3v02oriQMhrTxg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/0_6o1-Ci3v02oriQMhrTxg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

I actually chuckled in the first half of this solely because I think Will Forte is hilarious. There are a few really talented actors on right now. Unfortunately they don't have any material to work with.

Demonpenz
05-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I will write for SNL one day, if the money is right and they give me the freedom I want

kysirsoze
05-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I will write for SNL one day, if the money is right and they give me the freedom I want

There is a one joke limit per sketch, however.

LaChapelle
05-09-2010, 04:19 PM
If that was the best SNL in years
the need to cancel it already

RealSNR
05-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I actually chuckled in the first half of this solely because I think Will Forte is hilarious. There are a few really talented actors on right now. Unfortunately they don't have any material to work with.Gillyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......

Silock
05-10-2010, 12:39 AM
I like Betty White and all and she was a great sport, but she didn't make the writing any better. I'm sorry, but the whole old lady with a foul mouth routine is played out for me. And if it wasn't, it would have been after the first sketch or two. She's still a great comedic actress and they used her as almost exclusively a perverted grandma. She could have done a lot more, IMO.

The only reason for SNL being so consistently poorly written is that comedy movies are becoming more sketch-like, drawing the best comedic minds to bigger paychecks. I have a hard time believing people are just getting less funny. SNL is about 10% funnier than MadTV and that's about it. Last night was only slightly above their average for me.

I agree. It just wasn't very funny to me.