PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Coach Calls Javier Arenas The 'Defensive Version Of Dexter McCluster'

|Zach|
05-09-2010, 02:16 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/5/9/1464834/chiefs-coach-calls-javier-arenas

Chiefs coach Todd Haley was on Sirius NFL Radio last week going through all the Chiefs picks. I noticed he seemed to gush a little extra about second round pick Javier Arenas.

Haley says "there was no one more excited than I was" when the Chiefs were able to select him.

"When you start this process months ago, and going through the scouts reports, I don't know that you can read a better football character side of a report. And this guy has football character. When scouts say he treats everyday and every practice like the Super Bowl, you take notice. Again, you put on the tape and he backs it up. this kid's a player. He's got a chip on his shoulder. He's another guy that's probably been told all along he's too small.

"He found a way to get into a pretty good program there and play pretty good defense and win a national championship. He's a pretty good returner. I think he's the kind of guy you want on your team.

"When his name came off the board, there was no one more excited than I was. He's a defensive version of Dexter McCluster."

High praise from a team that places an extra emphasis on character.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/383135/41809_bcs_championship_alabama_football.jpg

Fish
05-09-2010, 02:22 PM
When are we going to change the name of the team to the Kansas City Character Guys.....?

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Duh. He's an undersized part-time player whose cieling is to play the slot. That is a decription of both Arenas and McCluster. Arenas is better than a "pretty good" returner, though.

AZChief
05-09-2010, 02:26 PM
i'm excited about the fact that he may be able to actually time and disguise his blitzes...we haven't had that on defense in a decade.

Dante84
05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Duh. He's an undersized part-time player whose cieling is to play the slot. That is a decription of both Arenas and McCluster. Arenas is better than a "pretty good" returner, though.

I think Arenas had something like 20 sacks in his college career. I remember hearing he is a tremendous blitzer. That's an extra plus.

Demonpenz
05-09-2010, 02:29 PM
arenas was never blocked at all on any of those sacks

pr_capone
05-09-2010, 02:30 PM

DOOM

&

GLOOM!

Chiefs Rool
05-09-2010, 02:32 PM
he's a playmaker baby! He gonna come in a make some plays! That's ok with me

AZChief
05-09-2010, 02:33 PM

exactly...hopefully, that's because he's able to time and disguise his blitzes before he comes off the corner. kc has been the worst team i've ever seen trying to disguise blitzes the last few years.

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Arenas should be a productive blitzer from the corner position, true. So was Benny Sapp, for what its worth.

TheGuardian
05-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Most corners aren't on corner blitzes. Corner blitzing is about having the ability to not give anything away to the offense to let them know you are coming. It doesn't seem like such a hard thing to do but some guys have a knack for it and some don't.

DeezNutz
05-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Gun was always expert at concealing the corner blitz. LMAO.

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Most corners aren't on corner blitzes. Corner blitzing is about having the ability to not give anything away to the offense to let them know you are coming. It doesn't seem like such a hard thing to do but some guys have a knack for it and some don't.

You mean doing something other than our past ten years where defensive backs would jump toward the line and then step back and dance around and then jump again and step back all while staring at the quarterback, who was simultaneously pointing at them and audibling to their receiver?

Fritz88
05-09-2010, 02:46 PM
There is a process

nychief
05-09-2010, 02:46 PM
When are we going to change the name of the team to the Kansas City Character Guys.....?

BOO!

kstater
05-09-2010, 02:48 PM
You mean doing something other than our past ten years where defensive backs would jump toward the line and then step back and dance around and then jump again and step back all while staring at the quarterback, who was simultaneously pointing at them and audibling to their receiver?

You forgot at the snap being burnt by the receiver because they were jumping towards the line on the wrong rhythm.

jiveturkey
05-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Arenas should be a productive blitzer from the corner position, true. So was Benny Sapp, for what its worth.Benny Sapp was good at getting close and then arm whiffing.

|Zach|
05-09-2010, 03:08 PM
DOOM

&

GLOOM!

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/115167/91949809.jpg