PDA

View Full Version : Life RIP Frank Frazetta

orange
05-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Frank Frazetta, Pioneering Fantasy Artist, Dies At 82
MARYCLAIRE DALE | 05/10/10 04:57 PM | AP

PHILADELPHIA — Pioneering fantasy artist Frank Frazetta died Monday in a Fort Myers, Fla., hospital, a manager said. He was 82.

Frazetta had been out to dinner with his daughters Sunday but suffered a stroke at his Boca Grande home later that night and was taken to Lee Memorial Hospital, manager Rob Pistella said. A hospital spokeswoman confirmed the death, as did his daughter Heidi Frazetta Grabin.

"He's going to be remembered as the most renowned fantasy illustrator of the 20th Century," Pistella said.

Frazetta created covers and illustrations for more than 150 books and comic books, along with album covers, movie posters and original paintings. His illustrations of Conan the Barbarian, Tarzan, Vampirella and other characters influenced many later artists.

His children have fought over an estate estimated to be worth tens of millions of dollars, filing lawsuits in Pennsylvania and Florida.

His son, Alfonso Frank Frazetta, 52, was charged in December with using a backhoe to break into the artist's museum in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains and trying to remove 90 paintings insured for $20 million. The charges were dropped late last month after two days of mediation produced a truce.

"It is resolved, but there's always new issues that can come out," daughter Heidi Frazetta Grabin said.

Frazetta had a history of strokes, but appeared well and was still painting, she and Pistella said.

Grabin and her sister, Holly Frazetta Taylor, dined out with their father Sunday to celebrate Mother's Day, then walked with him on Englewood Beach.

Story continues below
"We had a lovely time, and he just talked about how beautiful the sunset was, and how his next studio was going to have windows around it overlooking the Gulf," Grabin said.

Alfonso Frank Frazetta did not return a message Monday.

A lawsuit he had filed in Florida alleged that his sisters and brother Billy were plotting to wrest control of the family business and fortune from him after their mother died in July 2009.

orange
05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CjQl5EAPz84/R4fpsn0V4II/AAAAAAAADkU/XNQ8eixBZ_o/s400/Frazetta.jpg

orange
05-10-2010, 11:50 PM
http://www.excellentvirtu.com/frank-frazetta-egyptian_queen.jpg

orange
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Conan_the_usurper.jpg

Hammock Parties
Fucking legend.

They should make a movie with nothing but ripped muscle hunks, scantily clad babes with huge tits, blood and monsters in his honor.

orange
A true master of his craft.

Contrarian
05-11-2010, 01:01 AM
He was my favorite!:deevee:
Way better than Boris. I had everyone of his calendars going back to when I was 12 years old.

That said here is my latest. Johnathan Davis of Korn and his mighty mic stand. Bad photo taken with my Iphone but I'll post the professional photo this weekend. 4' x 3' acrylic, alcohol wash. This was my sons 16th birthday present.

Fishpicker
05-11-2010, 04:22 AM
RIP frank.

that dude was fantastic. I highly recommend the documentary Frazetta: Painting with fire. it revealed how bad ass frazetta really was. when frank had a stroke and suffered hemiplegia in his drawing hand, frank just switched to drawing with his right. And there wasn't a big drop off in quality.

And nobody draws/paints women like frazetta did. the way frank painted the human figure is so unique.

Braincase
05-11-2010, 05:41 AM
The man created a genre. Thanks, Frank. RIP.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Loved the Death Dealer books. The art work made them come alive.

stevieray
05-11-2010, 07:32 AM
RIP frank.

that dude was fantastic. I highly recommend the documentary Frazetta: Painting with fire. it revealed how bad ass frazetta really was. when frank had a stroke and suffered hemiplegia in his drawing hand, frank just switched to drawing with his right. And there wasn't a big drop off in quality.

And nobody draws/paints women like frazetta did. the way frank painted the human figure is so unique.he just didn't switch. he was actually depressed until a close friend told him it was coming from his head, not his hand...

extremely talented. I have about forty of his cards.

TrebMaxx
05-11-2010, 07:43 AM
RIP Frank.

boogblaster
05-11-2010, 09:26 AM
RIP .. unique and a master craftman .....

FAX
05-11-2010, 09:34 AM
And the wheel of life continues to turn, crushing all beneath its weight. You know, there are few people who can say they actually created a genre, but he was one. And Mr. Fishpicker is right; the documentary, "Painting With Fire" is really good. It's too bad about his children, though. I'm sure that's part of his legacy he'd like to change. RIP.

FAX

Frankie
05-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Wow. Frazetta and Vallejo are the top artists of that genre. Frazetta's advantage: No models. RIP sir. I have loved your work.

fan4ever
05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
The documentary was great; watched it couple of years ago. He had a super-size ego but super-size talent to go with it.

I think how he handled the lighting in his paintings is part of what made his so special; so dramatic. It was comical to see through the years how nobody could really touch him as far as his genre; you knew immediately if it were Frazetta or not when you looked at the painting no matter who and how they tried to mimmick his art.

Frazod
05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
RIP Loved his work.

Duck Dog
05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I alway's liked the Molly Hatchet album cover.