PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports West Texas HS basketball star really a 22 year old man!

Deberg_1990
05-12-2010, 07:32 AM
hehe...wow

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/12/guerdwich-montimere-arres_n_572793.html

ODESSA, Texas — A West Texas student who led his high school basketball team to the state playoffs last season was actually a 22-year-old man, police said Tuesday.

Police say the basketball star was really Guerdwich Montimere, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Haiti who school officials say was recognized last month by Florida coaches as having been a star high school player in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., a few years ago.

Ector County school district officials said the man posed as 16-year-old Jerry Joseph and enrolled at Permian High School in Odessa for the 2009-2010 academic year. He also presented himself as homeless to the school's basketball coach, Danny Wright, who took the boy in last summer, the coach said.

Montimere was arrested at Permian High on Tuesday and booked into Ector County jail on a charge of presenting false identification to a peace officer.

Officials said Jerry Joseph originally enrolled at the local junior high as a 15-year-old in February 2009, then moved on to high school.

Permian High officials say suspicions about the player's identity first arose when three Florida basketball coaches familiar with Montimere recognized him last month at an amateur tournament in Little Rock, Ark. The Odessa American reported that the coaches recognized him as Montimere, who graduated from Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale in 2007.

School district officials said they grew more suspicious after contacting U.S. immigration officials.

Police said they arrested Montimere after confronting him about his identity.

"I feel like I was hit by a ton of bricks," district athletic director Leon Fuller said. "In my 50 years in education, I've never heard of anything like this."

Wright told The American that the player was like a family member.

"This affected a lot of people. The whole school of Permian embraced that kid. He deceived us and played on everyone's emotions," Wright said.

Montimere was being held on $500 bond Tuesday night, according to jail records. Jail officials said no attorney was listed for Montimere.

If convicted of the misdemeanor, Montimere could face up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

The revelation means Permian likely will have to forfeit the 2009 basketball season in which the 6-foot-5 player known as Jerry Joseph led the team to District 2-5A state playoffs and earned newcomer of the year accolades.

"I feel sick, but now that we've gotten the truth we can move on from here," said Permian principal Roy Garcia.

Permian High School's football program and the community support for it inspired the book "Friday Night Lights."

Reerun_KC
05-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Greg Oden alert?

Chiefs Rool
05-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Bill Self will probably go after him.

healthpellets
05-12-2010, 07:36 AM
damn. so close to being the basketball version of The Blindside.

Deberg_1990
05-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Seriously, how could so many people be duped? I suspect a few of the administrators and coaches knew.

tymania
05-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Just read this on ESPN.com...what a joke.. really a 22 yr old passed as a 16 old and no one ever questioned it until someone recognized him from florida!? paaathetic, Texas school systems for ya

Chiefs Rool
05-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Seriously, how could so many people be duped? I suspect a few of the administrators and coaches knew.

so, 25-30 year olds pass off as 16 year olds in movies all the time.

Old Dog
05-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Would this be the other side of "Your Honor, she looked 18?"

Sofa King
05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
http://www.thegirllovestoshop.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/thegirl_rydellhigh.jpg

Bob Dole
05-12-2010, 07:58 AM
What a shock. People in Odessa turned a blind eye to the personal details about someone good at sports who enrolled at Permian.

Sofa King
05-12-2010, 08:00 AM
reminds me of another team accused of being the wrong age... (in this case tu yung.)

http://www.asianweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/china1.jpg

BigRichard
05-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Just read this on ESPN.com...what a joke.. really a 22 yr old passed as a 16 old and no one ever questioned it until someone recognized him from florida!? paaathetic, Texas school systems for ya

A buddy I grew up with looked like he was 16 when he was 25. I believe he was refused liquor on several occasions because they didn't believe his ID. I haven't talked to him very much lately but he still looks very young at 35.

Sully
05-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Wasn't there something like this at UT about 15 years back, or so? I'm real fuzzy on the details.

L.A. Chieffan
05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
The Blind Side Part II

siberian khatru
05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.thegirllovestoshop.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/thegirl_rydellhigh.jpg

ROFL

And a 33-year-old Stockard Channing as Rizzo.

pikesome
05-12-2010, 09:29 AM

No, they don't.

No one is fooled. We just suspend disbelief.

Deberg_1990
05-12-2010, 09:30 AM
No one is fooled. We just suspend disbelief.

Same thing Odessa Permian fan did.

baitism
05-12-2010, 09:32 AM

To be fair, a lot of Texans graduate high school when they are 22.

Tribal Warfare
05-12-2010, 09:39 AM

I know I could, hell people think I look like 19 year old at 29.

Frazod
05-12-2010, 09:46 AM
To be fair, a lot of Texans graduate high school when they are 22.

LMAO

ClevelandBronco
05-12-2010, 09:53 AM

Ever hear of Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Crowe

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

When Rolling Stone moved its offices from the West Coast to New York in 1977, Crowe decided to stay behind. He also felt the excitement of the career was beginning to wane. Crowe appeared in the 1978 film American Hot Wax, but then returned to his writing. Though he would continue to freelance for Rolling Stone on and off over the years, he turned his attention to a book.

At 22 and still boyish, Crowe came up with the idea to pose undercover as a high school student and write about his experiences. Simon & Schuster gave him a contract, and he moved back in with his parents and enrolled as Dave Cameron at Clairemont High School in San Diego, California. Reliving the senior year he never had, he made friends and began to fit in. Though he initially planned to include himself in the book, he realized that it would jeopardize his ability to truly capture the essence of the high school experience.

His book, Fast Times at Ridgemont High: A True Story came out in 1981. Crowe focused on six main characters: a tough guy, a nerd, a surfer dude, a sexual sophisticate, and a middle-class brother and sister. He chronicled their activities in typical teenage settings—at school, at the beach, and at the mall, where many of them held afterschool jobs—and focused on details of their lives that probed into the heart of adolescence. This included scenes about homecoming and graduation as well as social cliques and sexual encounters.

Before the book was even released, Fast Times at Ridgemont High was optioned for a film. Released in 1982, the movie version lacked a specific plot and featured no major name stars, and the studio did not devote any marketing effort toward it. Nevertheless, it became a sleeper hit due to word of mouth. It owed its popularity in large part to its uncannily realistic portrayal of teenagers.

Though reviews of Fast Times at Ridgemont High were mixed, the film ended up launching the careers of some of the previously unknown actors, including Jennifer Jason Leigh, Eric Stoltz, Judge Reinhold, Phoebe Cates, as well as now Oscar-winners Nicolas Cage (who appeared in the film under his given name, Nicolas Coppola), Forest Whitaker, and Sean Penn.

OnTheWarpath15
05-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Was he wearing a friendship bracelet?

The Rick
05-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Here's the guy:

http://www.oaoa.com/sections/article/gallery/?pic=1&id=47129&db=odessa

Sully
05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
I feel bad because this reminds me of an old racist joke.

penchief
05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Yikes. He could be in even more trouble if it turns out he was dating a 16 year old.

Demonpenz
05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
that's what I like about 12 year olds, slick their hair back and they look 10.

BWillie
05-12-2010, 02:11 PM
How many stars did he have in Rivals? Frank Martin is still interested