PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Basement bathroom

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I know we have some knowledgeable people on here. Can one of you guys tell me a rough estimate of putting a bathroom (tub, sink, toilet) into a basement? Nothing fancy included....just the basics.

I'm trying to decide whether it is worth it to put a basement bathroom in to sell my house.

KurtCobain
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Use wood instead of porcelain.

OnTheWarpath15
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Send Phobia a PM.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Send Phobia a PM.

Yeah....I'm going to. Just thought I see if anyone has put one in recently.

KurtCobain
05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Send Phobia a PM.

If that doesn't work then send Bob Dole ten.

Brock
05-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Should we assume the plumbing's already there?

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Should we assume the plumbing's already there?

Yes.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Oh yeah....and fuck you redrum for your stupid ass rep.

Brock
05-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Installing a toilet you can do yourself for the cost of the toilet. I wouldn't bother with installing a bathtub, just put in a prefab shower stall.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 09:36 AM

And fuck you again Redrum for your 2nd stupid ass rep.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Redrum, I'm going to ask you nicely to knock it the fuck off. My mom has been very sick for the last 2 months and I don't fucking appreciate you making jokes at her expense. Yes, I know that is what you do, but please knock it the fuck off.

Bill Lundberg
05-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Roughly $2500 - $1,000,000,000,000,000

mikeyis4dcats.
05-12-2010, 10:06 AM
between 10k and 30k. Serioulsy, this is something that cannot be accurately done over the internet.

Very rarely would it be worth it to add a bathroom just to sell a home.

Bill Lundberg
05-12-2010, 10:08 AM

This

Buck
05-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Redrum, I'm going to ask you nicely to knock it the fuck off. My mom has been very sick for the last 2 months and I don't fucking appreciate you making jokes at her expense. Yes, I know that is what you do, but please knock it the fuck off.

Not cool. God that guy is a dick.

ClevelandBronco
05-12-2010, 10:09 AM
between 10k and 30k. Serioulsy, this is something that cannot be accurately done over the internet.

I agree. If you're not adding square feet it's difficult to get enough of a return in most markets now to justify the effort and expense.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 10:09 AM

Yeah....I knew I wouldn't get a square on dollar figure. Just wanted to know if it was a $2,000 project or a $10,000 project.

The Franchise
05-12-2010, 10:11 AM

And fuck you again Redrum for your 2nd stupid ass rep.

Not cool. God that guy is a dick.

I thought that guy went "off the grid". Oh well....he's a fucking tool anyways.

Bring on the rep you fat fuck!

Brock
05-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Just wanted to know if it was a $2,000 project or a $10,000 project.

Yes.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I agree. If you're not adding square feet it's difficult to get enough of a return in most markets now to justify the effort and expense.

I'm really not looking at the return on this. This is more about getting house sold and it seems that not having another full bathroom kills it every time.

We have 1 1/2 bathrooms upstairs....well, you could call it a half bath. It's just big enough for a toilet and a small vanity. One of the major complaints is that while we have a nice finished basement, there is no bathroom in the basement.

So, while getting a return on it would be nice, I'm afraid that people are more turned off by not having a 2nd full bath than they are about price.

ClevelandBronco
05-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Yeah....I knew I wouldn't get a square on dollar figure. Just wanted to know if it was a $2,000 project or a $10,000 project.

It would be very difficult to bring the thing in at $2,000 unless you did all the work yourself, and unless you're at near pro level with finish work it'll be obvious that the thing was put in by an amateur. That's probably not a positive selling point in most buyers' eyes.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Yes.

What I'm getting at, is a $2,000-$4,000 project I could handle. Anything over that and I'm shooting myself in the foot...or the fridge in frazod's case.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
It would be very difficult to bring the thing in at $2,000 unless you did all the work yourself, and unless you're at near pro level with finish work it'll be obvious that the thing was put in by an amateur. That's probably not a positive selling point in most buyers' eyes.

Most of the work would be done by myself and my dad. While not necessarily professionals, we have had many many compliments on my basement that we finished.

ClevelandBronco
05-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm really not looking at the return on this. This is more about getting house sold and it seems that not having another full bathroom kills it every time.

We have 1 1/2 bathrooms upstairs....well, you could call it a half bath. It's just big enough for a toilet and a small vanity. One of the major complaints is that while we have a nice finished basement, there is no bathroom in the basement.

So, while getting a return on it would be nice, I'm afraid that people are more turned off by not having a 2nd full bath than they are about price.

I know what you're saying. Unfortunately you're probably going to need the input of someone who knows what will sell in your specific area.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
the biggest hurdle will be the waste line. Is there a sewer connection there now? If not, will the waste need to be pumped up to the main, or can it gravity flow?

Brock
05-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Most of the work would be done by myself and my dad. While not necessarily professionals, we have had many many compliments on my basement that we finished.

Doing it yourself, you would certainly be able to get it done under or within the dollar parameters you mentioned.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2010, 10:20 AM
the biggest hurdle will be the waste line. Is there a sewer connection there now? If not, will the waste need to be pumped up to the main, or can it gravity flow?

The main sewer line runs essentially right where the bathroom would go, but my understanding is that there would be a need for some sort of pump.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-12-2010, 10:26 AM
The main sewer line runs essentially right where the bathroom would go, but my understanding is that there would be a need for some sort of pump.

A mascerating toilet with pump will run you about $1800-2k installed alone. Just had one done on a project.

go bo
05-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Redrum, I'm going to ask you nicely to knock it the **** off. My mom has been very sick for the last 2 months and I don't ****ing appreciate you making jokes at her expense. Yes, I know that is what you do, but please knock it the **** off.firefox with the current version of FfVb is your friend...

even rep comments are ignored (invisible)...

Bugeater
05-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Redrum, I'm going to ask you nicely to knock it the **** off. My mom has been very sick for the last 2 months and I don't ****ing appreciate you making jokes at her expense. Yes, I know that is what you do, but please knock it the **** off.
What a ****ing douche. I wish that fat worthless pile of shit would drop dead.

Edit: I see the cowardly POS is finally banned, I hope it's permanent. Should've been done a long time ago.

KurtCobain
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I just want to know how he knows what's tatted inside of my mom's mouth.

Fucking stalker, man.

Cannibal
05-12-2010, 10:45 AM
If you have to pump the bathroom drainage, I don't think it would be worth it. Those pumps require maintenance and will prove to be a headache. I wouldn't buy a home with a basement pump of any kind.

BWillie
05-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I know we have some knowledgeable people on here. Can one of you guys tell me a rough estimate of putting a bathroom (tub, sink, toilet) into a basement? Nothing fancy included....just the basics.

I'm trying to decide whether it is worth it to put a basement bathroom in to sell my house.

All I can tell you is that I had a shower put into my half bathroom to make it a full bathroom into my basement shower. Just a small shower pan and then tiling on the walls and ceiling. Everybody was quoting me around $2800-3200 because they wanted to do concrete work. I found a guy to make a step up shower to eliminate the need for the expensive concrete work which saved me a ton of money. Cost me about $1300 total. The "step up" starts just after my tile baseboard and it really looks pretty good in my bathroom. Probably depends how your bathroom is set up though. Granted I had my sink and toilet already in there, but maybe this will help.