PDA

View Full Version : Football Giants, Jets want to host 2014 Super Bowl

Buck
05-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Watching NFL Live on ESPN.com now...

In a word, FUCK THAT.

The Franchise
05-12-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm calling it now.....someone is going to die during the Superbowl. It's going to happen.

kstater
05-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Doesn't it have to be a dome or a warm city?

whoman69
05-12-2010, 06:09 PM
The league told those teams they could apply. Personally I think its a bad idea. People are not going to pay the big bucks to sit freezing their cajones off. Additionally I don't want the Super Bowl to be decided by the playing conditions but by play on the field.

LaChapelle
05-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Jets head coach Josh McDaniels will pump up the pre-game crowd

Deberg_1990
05-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Id pay to watch a Super Bowl in Green Bay

BigMeatballDave
05-12-2010, 06:29 PM
The league told those teams they could apply. Personally I think its a bad idea. People are not going to pay the big bucks to sit freezing their cajones off. Additionally I don't want the Super Bowl to be decided by the playing conditions but by play on the field.
Playing conditions? Wtf? If its poor, both teams would have to deal with it. Football is a cold weather sport. People have become pussies...

OnTheWarpath15
05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
They'll get a SB sooner rather than later, IMO.

ChiefsCountry
05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Wasn't that suppose to be Kansas City's Super Bowl?

Bugeater
05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
I love how KC's bid was contingent on them installing the rolling roof, but weather isn't an issue for NYC.

Brock
05-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Good, the same 5 or 6 cities hosting the Super Bowl is freaking dumb anyway.

bowener
05-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Play 'em in the weather like the used to!

Look at this place, it is made for Super Bowls and gambling addicts!

http://www.jetkingdom.com/gallery/new_stadium/dec05_2.jpg/image_preview

And check out the upsize from the original... no fries were included in the price.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0427/pg2_a_jets_giants_300.jpg

ArrowheadHawk
05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
I love how KC's bid was contingent on them installing the rolling roof, but weather isn't an issue for NYC.

No shit. :spock:

LaChapelle
05-12-2010, 06:59 PM
I think the new stadium can close for bad weather
if they will or not is open for debate

bowener
05-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Maybe it has something to do with all the extra amenities and activities that NYC offers? That is a valid question though. Honestly, I really wish the Chiefs would build the roof and host the damn thing... 5 years from now, maybe they could be playing the SB in their own house!

Much more likely the case that the Jets or Giants will be playing in their own in 2014 though...

bowener
05-12-2010, 07:01 PM
I think the new stadium can close for bad weather
if they will or not is open for debate

If you look at some of the pictures, it is flush across the top.
http://www.jetkingdom.com/fans/jake/nyt-new-jets-giants-stadium-photos/image_large

Probably capable of having a cloth roof pulled across it or something.

LaChapelle
05-12-2010, 07:03 PM
I read a blurb along time ago about it being made with some kind of a roof option

Fritz88
05-12-2010, 07:04 PM
People are not going to pay the big bucks to sit freezing their cajones off.

there are enough crazy people out there who would.....

http://image22.webshots.com/23/3/43/75/212434375TjRzPS_ph.jpg

Bugeater
05-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I read a blurb along time ago about it being made with some kind of a roof option
It was axed due to cost.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/18/sports/football/18nfl.html

...the new stadium does not have a roof, either fixed or retractable, because it would have cost another $400 million.

cardken
05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm tired of seeing the damn game indoors and in Miami/Tampa/San Diego. the game is played in the conditions all season long way would the Super Bowl be any different. The Super Bowl is the Super Bowl, the tickets will sell. If it were up to me the venue would go round robin to all cities let the entire league have the chance to see the game and get tickets.

Bugeater
05-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm tired of seeing the damn game indoors and in Miami/Tampa/San Diego. the game is played in the conditions all season long way would the Super Bowl be any different. The Super Bowl is the Super Bowl, the tickets will sell. If it were up to me the venue would go round robin to all cities let the entire league have the chance to see the game and get tickets.
Oh, they will sell, but perhaps not for the same $ a warm weather or indoor game will. Keep in mind the people that normally attend the Super Bowl aren't the same people that attend playoff games.

Brock
05-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh, they will sell, but perhaps not for the same $ a warm weather or indoor game will. Keep in mind the people that normally attend the Super Bowl aren't the same people that attend playoff games.

That's what's screwed up about it.

cardken
05-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Hell the World Series is played in cities that have been less than suitable in early October. Dare I say the NFL could take a page from the MLB. But...?

FD
05-12-2010, 07:35 PM
I would love to see a Superbowl with an inch or two of snow coming down. Its not what the league wants with all the money there, but if NYC is such a draw it becomes a possibility I think its great.

edit: ^^^^ You know the world series plays at teams' home stadiums, right??

milkman
05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Hell the World Series is played in cities that have been less than suitable in early October. Dare I say the NFL could take a page from the MLB. But...?

Baseball is stupid.

The season is too long and they end up playing the most important games in weather conditions that they won't play in during the regular season.

Football is an entirely different subject.

It was made for weather conditions.

cardken
05-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Baseball is stupid.

The season is too long and they end up playing the most important games in weather conditions that they won't play in during the regular season.

Football is an entirely different subject.

It was made for weather conditions.

I totally agree. And I know they play at "home" stadiums, point is they play in any weather conditions that particular city is having they don;t pick venues based on average temps for region, stupid NFL, Domes and astroturf are an abomination.

ArrowheadHawk
05-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I totally agree. And I know they play at "home" stadiums, point is they play in any weather conditions that particular city is having they don;t pick venues based on average temps for region, stupid NFL, Domes and astroturf are an abomination.

Lets make the SB a Super Series. Best of three.

milkman
05-12-2010, 07:49 PM

Oh Hell No!

milkman
05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I think cardken has, by far, the better idea.

Just rotate it to every NFL city.

cardken
05-12-2010, 07:51 PM

I wouldn't go that far, but would sell some ticket one game each stadium, then third in a city with average temp over 50, LOL. Everybody wins! Just kidding.

Bugeater
05-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Oh yeah, it's a great idea just like a college FB playoff. Doesn't mean either are going to happen.

rad
05-12-2010, 08:00 PM
The NFL should just pick a location and build a Super Bowl Stadium. That way it's in the same place every year. Make it the biggest stadium in the world with like 200,000 seats or something. Rent it out for concerts and whatnot for the other 364 days of the year.

cardken
05-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Oh yeah, it's a great idea just like a college FB playoff. Doesn't mean either are going to happen.

True that. But why not rotate the game, I mean were already played a SB game in Detroit. DETROIT! for Christ sakes! If I were Pittsburgh or Seattle I'd have been pissed to have pulled that short straw. LOL

Chiefnj2
05-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Super Bowl = corporate money and sponsership. You need nice weather for the weekly festivities. It sucks.

Warrior5
05-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Piss on New York.

LaChapelle
05-12-2010, 08:19 PM
The NFL would collapse upon itself
If Indy didn't get a Super Bowl before NY
24/7 Peyton blow instead of 12/7 for your normal SB

bowener
05-12-2010, 08:31 PM

You're absolutely right! They are rich pricks that want to be seen at a premier event, like the Super Bowl!

NY in the winter would sell out without a doubt.

Bugeater
05-12-2010, 08:33 PM
True that. But why not rotate the game, I mean were already played a SB game in Detroit. DETROIT! for Christ sakes! If I were Pittsburgh or Seattle I'd have been pissed to have pulled that short straw. LOL
That was just the league throwing them a bone because they built a new climate controlled stadium, don't look for any more SBs in Detroit anytime soon. Heck the Twin Cities even got one once. And I'm sure this NYC thing will be a one shot deal as well.

bowener
05-12-2010, 08:33 PM
The NFL should just pick a location and build a Super Bowl Stadium. That way it's in the same place every year. Make it the biggest stadium in the world with like 200,000 seats or something. Rent it out for concerts and whatnot for the other 364 days of the year.

**** that, just go to some dry arid place in the US, and dig a 200 foot deep hole, then gently slop the soil back from there until you have a gigantic natural bowl. Throw down some pre-made seating and call it good. It should hold 200,000+ for a fraction of the cost.

edit:

Or they could go to Hawaii and beef up the stadium there, then they could have the SB AND Pro Bowl there every year! :)

bowener
05-12-2010, 08:36 PM
It was axed due to cost.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/18/sports/football/18nfl.html

I found this blurb interesting:
“Why not play it here?” Mara said. “As a league, we play some great football in cold weather. I do believe we have some momentum. A number of owners have expressed their support.”

I never really thought about the fact that the owners who keep getting screwed out of hosting the game could all just raise hell. There are a lot more "climate variable" stadiums than there are Miami stadiums.

Bugeater
05-12-2010, 08:36 PM
**** that, just go to some dry arid place in the US, and dig a 200 foot deep hole, then gently slop the soil back from there until you have a gigantic natural bowl. Throw down some pre-made seating and call it good. It should hold 200,000+ for a fraction of the cost.
That sounds like the new LA stadium.

bowener
05-12-2010, 08:37 PM
That sounds like the new LA stadium.

Sort of, but that one has electricity and other comforts. This one would just have dirt and cheaply made seating.

cardken
05-12-2010, 08:54 PM

I kinda like this idea, but they would build it in the Cayman Islands or something like that. I say (gambling be damned), they build it in Las Vegas. Great weather, great venue, lots of accommodations, and they want a team anyways. I know the NFL has a hardliner policy against Las Vegas, just spit-balling here.

Thig Lyfe
05-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Playing conditions? Wtf? If its poor, both teams would have to deal with it. Football is a cold weather sport. People have become pussies...

This.

Psyko Tek
05-13-2010, 02:06 AM
there are enough crazy people out there who would.....

http://image22.webshots.com/23/3/43/75/212434375TjRzPS_ph.jpg

might be some actual football fans there
rotate it every stadium get's a superbowl
once every 32 years
seems fair

Pushead2
05-13-2010, 02:46 AM

yes they will....welcome to new york.

Pushead2
05-13-2010, 02:48 AM

this

Amnorix
05-13-2010, 06:12 AM
I'm fine with cold weather SBs, but it shouldn't be limited to just freaking NYC.

ModSocks
05-13-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm fine with cold weather SBs, but it shouldn't be limited to just freaking NYC.

No, but it should be limited to cities that can actually support a Super bowl. I dont agree with a round-robin scenario, which would allow cities like Buffalo, KC, Detroit etc to host a Superbowl when they just aren't built for a huge influx of people.

We would have another Jacksonville situation, which to my understanding, was a cluster-fuck.

Superbowls need to be held in cities that have more attractions than just the Superbowl. These people are not just going to see the game, they are going on vacation, attracting high dollar business execs, celebs, etc.

You need something to do for the week of the game, you need to have the proper transit system to support that kind of volume, and you need have enough Hotels to accomodate.
All of which, are found in warm weather, tourist cities.

Mile High Mania
05-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I understand why you would want the SuperBowl in a warmer coastal city... I really do, but I also don't know that having the game in a cold weather city is a bad idea.

Look at some of the greatest games played in cold weather, snow conditions... did it make for the prettiest presentation on tv? Maybe not, but you can't tell me the games weren't great.

I could see issues with many of the 'non-game' festivities...

Now, the SuperBowl that will be held in Dallas... we don't have NY weather, but it can be just as horrible that time of year down here. The stadium has the roof, so they can protect the 'visual presentation', but it didn't stop them from giving Dallas a SB game.

The key factors regarding the city chosen should all be about how they can support the people, the events, transportation, etc.

HemiEd
05-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Wasn't that suppose to be Kansas City's Super Bowl?

yep

ModSocks
05-13-2010, 11:49 AM
I understand why you would want the SuperBowl in a warmer coastal city... I really do, but I also don't know that having the game in a cold weather city is a bad idea.

Look at some of the greatest games played in cold weather, snow conditions... did it make for the prettiest presentation on tv? Maybe not, but you can't tell me the games weren't great.

I could see issues with many of the 'non-game' festivities...

Now, the SuperBowl that will be held in Dallas... we don't have NY weather, but it can be just as horrible that time of year down here. The stadium has the roof, so they can protect the 'visual presentation', but it didn't stop them from giving Dallas a SB game.

The key factors regarding the city chosen should all be about how they can support the people, the events, transportation, etc.

I dont think there should be an issue with cold weather Super-Bowls, but something like NYC where it could be snowing, presents a huge problem. The Super Bowl is about more than just a game. It's a huge celebration. There is all the festivities leading up to the game, the half time show and the tourism.

There are just certain cities that just shouldn't host one. How do you pull off fireworks and a live half time show with a snow covered field? How do you get the stage and the hundreds of people and props, etc onto the field during a snow game? People are comparing Superbowls of 20 years ago to Superbowls of today, but things have changed way to much to make that comparison.

rad
05-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't think I could handle a Superbowl without fireworks, extravagant halftime shows, and a week of pregame hype. That's what the Superbowl is all about, right? Fuck the actual game. I don't think it's fair that Burt Reynolds couldn't go to be seen at the Superbowl because it was "too cold"......that just opens the door for all the regular people.

Mojo Jojo
05-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I think most posters here don't get how the Super Bowl works. Tickets don't go to local people.
Tickets go:
1. NFL Sponsors
2. NFL Office
3. 2 teams in the game
4. 30 other teams
5. Network partners
6. Local market

That is why hotel rooms and convention space are so important in sites. Most everyone at the game is from out of market.

Hydrae
05-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Piss on New York.

Is it on fire?

Warrior5
05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Is it on fire?

I'm sure something's burning down at any given moment.

Dylan
05-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Why would anyone want to journey into New York City with the insurgency in full swing? There are so many elements of danger, neither of which are getting enough coverage in the press, that should earn it a spot on the list of the worst destinations in the U.S.

No doubt the government has stepped up its suppression of the media, causing many to look towards alternative organizations for their news coverage. please don't quote me. ...

The Egyptian Gazette
NY man with guns arrested in Cairo
Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Egyptian authorities detained a passenger arriving at Cairo airport from New York on Wednesday after finding guns, bullets and knives in his baggage, an airport official told AFP.

Mohamed Ibrahim Marei, a US university professor of Egyptian origin, had flown in on an Egyptair flight from New York's JFK airport.

Customs officials noticed the passenger looked nervous and decided to open his luggage.

They found two handguns and 250 bullets hidden in metal boxes, the official said on condition of anonymity.

In a secret compartment in the bag, authorities also found two swords, five daggers and six knives, he added.

An investigation has been launched, the official said.

http://www.egyptiangazette.net/thumbnails.php?image=weaponnnn-20100512-170239.gif&w=300&h=300&ext=jpg

The man had flown in on an Egyptair flight from New York's JFK airport

http://www.egyptiangazette.net/news-7570-NY%20man%20with%20guns%20arrested%20in%20Cairo.html

RealSNR
05-14-2010, 12:24 AM
The NFL is retarded. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to host the Super Bowl in London or Tokyo in the future just to make it a true "world championship."

Buck's Dad
05-14-2010, 03:20 AM
I went to new york once, and I felt like a fucking snowman.

Mile High Mania
05-14-2010, 06:24 AM
In reality... I'm never going to pay the $ to attend a SB, so I don't care where it is ... just make the TV presentation kick ass and I'm good.

Dylan
05-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I went to new york once, and I felt like a ****ing snowman.

be thankful it was snow and not gooey chicken pieces. ...

05-14-2010, 01:53 PM

The Jets owner is an idiot. he insulted the Giants and Commissioner Goodell. I really dont think they have a chance at hosting a sb..

05-14-2010, 01:55 PM
In reality... I'm never going to pay the $ to attend a SB, so I don't care where it is ... just make the TV presentation kick ass and I'm good.

exactly. I don't think I would ever go to the SB unless it was close and my team was in it. (which may never happen) lol the prices are ridiculous.

Mojo Jojo
05-14-2010, 02:11 PM
The NFL is retarded. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to host the Super Bowl in London or Tokyo in the future just to make it a true "world championship."

The NFL has already floated the idea of putting the Super Bowl in London.

RealSNR
05-14-2010, 02:17 PM
The NFL has already floated the idea of putting the Super Bowl in London.Really? That is the worst idea ever :shake:

Mojo Jojo
05-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Really? That is the worst idea ever :shake:

It's all about $$$$. The average/above average fan isn't who goes to the game...it's all about sponsors and giving them a free trip.

Chiefnj2
05-14-2010, 02:34 PM
There are just certain cities that just shouldn't host one. How do you pull off fireworks and a live half time show with a snow covered field? How do you get the stage and the hundreds of people and props, etc onto the field during a snow game? People are comparing Superbowls of 20 years ago to Superbowls of today, but things have changed way to much to make that comparison.

You mean people at the Super Bowl might be forced to actually watch and be concerned about the game itself rather than the sideshow? No!!! The horror!! My god, how can someone watch a sporting event without a horrible halftime show? A sporting event without post game fireworks? Is this Russia? This isn't Russia, is it Danny?

morphius
05-14-2010, 02:34 PM
That's exactly why I don't think it will be played in anywhere that has weather, 'cause it isn't the fans that get to go, it is the rich wimpy types that would just skip the game if the weather wasn't perfect, and the last thing the NFL wants is a partially empty stadium during a super bowl shown on TV.

Param
05-14-2010, 02:40 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to host the Super Bowl in London or Tokyo in the future just to make it a true "world championship."

It's coming. The NFL isn't the most watched event in the world so there's something to aspire to. Plus, the only way to get more interest from around the world is to host the Super Bowl in London, Tokyo, Berlin, etc. More people interested=more $$$ for the NFL.

ModSocks
05-14-2010, 02:48 PM
You mean people at the Super Bowl might be forced to actually watch and be concerned about the game itself rather than the sideshow? No!!! The horror!! My god, how can someone watch a sporting event without a horrible halftime show? A sporting event without post game fireworks? Is this Russia? This isn't Russia, is it Danny?

If you fail to see how the SB isn't about just the game anymore, then I'm sorry for you. It's about business, not about or are I. It's about revenue and the fat cats with fat wallets. It's about bringing tourism money to a city; selling air time.

This isn't the 60's anymore dude. No one want's to visit KC or Buffalo etc. They wanna come to Miami, SD, Dallas etc. Places where there is more to do then just sit in your hotel room.

These cities have to be set up for tourism, i.e proper transit systems, multiple attractions, good weather, hotels etc. NY has all that, despite the cold weather, which is why they are actually being considered for a SB unlike KC

some cities, just don't have that. Sorry, some cities just shouldn't be hosting SB's. Deal with it.

Chief Roundup
05-14-2010, 05:03 PM
I think the owners are the ones that vote where the SuperBowl is to be held.
Either way on that. If the "NFL" picks the Meadowlands to host the SB in 2014 they will probably be opening a can of worms that they won't like. It would allow for other teams to say that the NFL has set a precident. They can't just pick one open air stadium and not allow the same chance to all of the other teams that have open air stadiums to host the SB. So they would be setting themselves up for lawsuits IMO.