PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone try CrossFit Workout Program?

EyePod
05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Has anyone tried this? I'm getting really freaking pumped for my baseline session this Sunday. I've never done a program like this with actual weight lifting. I did some weight lifting in high school football, but I wasn't too in to it.

http://www.crossfit.com/

The idea is that the workout constantly varies on a daily basis, and you can also compete against other people's times for the same workout or your own from the last time it came up. And if you can't do the workout as recommended, there's ways to scale it down to something more manageable.

I'll make sure to update how it goes for anyone who's interested!

Update: Went for the baseline! Wow, that was a god damned workout and a half. Here's what it entailed (after she showed me and another person the correct methods for each):

Row 500 m (took me a little over 2 mins for reference)
40 squats (I realized how unflexable I am.. I couldn't keep good form and sit down on a ball while doing these)
30 sit-ups (these were nice and easy cause it's a lot of leg work using the bar)
20 push-ups (I'm sure my last few didn't look amazing, although I was still able to do it)
10 pull-ups (I could do 1 regular, then I used a blue stretch band for the next 4, and then a green, thicker band for the last 5)

End time for all this:
7:07

This didn't look too bad compared to most people, esp. cause the only thing I couldn't do as recommended were the pull-ups. For comparison, a fully trained (and in amazing shape) marine did it in 3:50 on his first try, and the best in the gym is about 3:30.

Kicked my ass though, I could barely breath after this and I was dizzy. Next step is signing up for a 3 part fundementals course where they go through correct methods for all of the prescribed workouts (or most of them at least). After that, I'll probably start to do 2 workouts a week! I'll try and show my progress.

And for reference, my weight today was 183.6 and I did have my fiance take a picture with me tightening my stomach (not that you could really tell). Maybe I'll post something like that when I actually look good in comparison.... =_=

Fritz88
05-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Breaking the workout routine is invaluable for anyone who wants to continue working out. Good luck.

TJR1486
05-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I have tried it before. Its sweet because with alot of the workouts they only take 20 mins and you are done, but when your done you are exhausted.

LetsSignRussell
05-13-2010, 09:06 PM
I heard sex burns a lot of calories

EyePod
05-13-2010, 09:07 PM
I have tried it before. Its sweet because with alot of the workouts they only take 20 mins and you are done, but when your done you are exhausted.

Did you do it in a facility with trainers or just by yourself? I don't really feel comfortable enough lifting-wise to do most of these workouts without a trained professional in the vicinity.... =_=

NewChief
05-13-2010, 09:13 PM
There are some people on here who do crossfit pretty regularly. I've done it some in the past, but I'm not currently doing it. My gym isn't set up for it.

Silock
05-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Some of those workouts are cool, but the fees to join their gyms are fucking ridiculous.

NewChief
05-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Some of those workouts are cool, but the fees to join their gyms are ****ing ridiculous.

Yeah. Our local one is $140 for family (and that's with teacher discount). It's $175 for family without. That's over twice what I pay for my current gym membership... and we have daycare. The good thing is that you can make a crossfit gym pretty cheaply. The bad thing is that a lot of the whole crossfit mentality works better with a group. There are also some exercises that I would be uncomfortable doing without instruction from a qualified trainer.

I can see how firemen, policemen, and the military would love it, though. Just build a crossfit gym at the firestation, and go to freaking town.

NewChief
05-13-2010, 09:25 PM
But I should add:

I'm jealous Eyepod. I'd love to do about a year of dedicated crossfit, if I had the money and could work it properly into the logistics of my life.

Simply Red
05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Some of those workouts are cool, but the fees to join their gyms are ****ing ridiculous.

QFT - That Adrenalin Fitness in Chamblee, Ga. was where I was considering, largely due to their classes. However, the membership is like 85 a month, but something insane to join, like 275.00 - So, I bought a smoothie and left, never even used my two week pass.

Silock
05-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Just to put it in perspective, I pay $30/mo for my gym membership, which includes daycare, access to all the equipment and the classes. And my wife's membership is also included in that price. $30 for two people for full access. There's no way in hell I'm paying 6-10 times that amount for Crossfit, especially when I could do the workouts on my own if I really wanted to.

verbaljitsu
05-13-2010, 11:08 PM
I did Crossfit for about 6 months.* For me, Crossfit was absolutely worth the higher cost. I got into the best shape I had been in for years (maybe ever). It is actual, real, functional strength and endurance. I used it as a supplement to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training. I got a large performance boost out of the program on the mats.

You shouldn't compare the rate to a normal gym rate. You should compare the rate to a personal/small group trainer, because that is what you are getting. It is isn't the equipment, it isn't the facilities, it is someone constantly pushing you and objectively measuring your performance.

*I stopped going because the gym was a ways away, and I was getting killed in law school. I couldn't afford to expend the necessary time in both places. I intend to enroll again at some point.

BWillie
05-13-2010, 11:13 PM
This is a method for those that don't have any motivation.

EyePod
05-16-2010, 11:30 AM

I have plenty of motivation. I just don't have the know how. Most of these workouts are alien to me.

NewChief
05-16-2010, 11:38 AM

How do you figure? It takes a hell of a lot of motivation if you're doing it on your own. Doing timed workouts and workouts to exhaustion takes a lot of motivation if you don't have people there pushing you.

EyePod
05-16-2010, 11:39 AM
How do you figure? It takes a hell of a lot of motivation if you're doing it on your own. Doing timed workouts and workouts to exhaustion takes a lot of motivation if you don't have people there pushing you.

That's what I'm saying! I would never know how to go about this on my own either.

NewChief
05-16-2010, 11:42 AM
That's what I'm saying! I would never know how to go about this on my own either.

Yeah, a ton of the exercises require gymnastics and other weird skills that most people don't necessarily have a clue about (headstand pushups, kipping pulluips, etc..). That was another reason I never got into it too far.

The good thing is that they have awesome video tutorials of almost everything on the website. It's a pain in the ass to teach yourself all of that stuff for every WotD, though.

EyePod
05-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah, a ton of the exercises require gymnastics and other weird skills that most people don't necessarily have a clue about (headstand pushups, kipping pulluips, etc..). That was another reason I never got into it too far.

The good thing is that they have awesome video tutorials of almost everything on the website. It's a pain in the ass to teach yourself all of that stuff for every WotD, though.

Their website is definitely topnotch, and it really seems like their community great too. I'm looking forward to this.

Ralphy Boy
05-16-2010, 01:30 PM
I heard sex burns a lot of calories

Only if she's the lazy one.

Ralphy Boy
05-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Grant Wistrom is part owner and a trainer at the one here in Springfield.

TJR1486
05-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Did you do it in a facility with trainers or just by yourself? I don't really feel comfortable enough lifting-wise to do most of these workouts without a trained professional in the vicinity.... =_=

I just got the workouts online and did them at 24 hour fitness, either by myself or with a buddy.

stlchiefs
05-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Yep. I was bit in to it for a few months, now I mix it in with some other routines, but have kept the general idea of non-stop motion with all my lifting now. The website with new routines daily is awesome and being able to look up any lift online via youtube is great. I can't rationalize paying for a crossift gym though, do it on your own.

EyePod
05-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Yep. I was bit in to it for a few months, now I mix it in with some other routines, but have kept the general idea of non-stop motion with all my lifting now. The website with new routines daily is awesome and being able to look up any lift online via youtube is great. I can't rationalize paying for a crossift gym though, do it on your own.

I'm fine rationalizing paying for it. You're not just paying for the equipment (which the gym has everything of), but you're also getting the community and the boost of competing/helping other people while you workout instead of just posting your times on the internet.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Dude i work w/ whos on here is bigtime into it, but he is also a bigtime lurker.

Crashride
05-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Ive been doing crossfit for 1 year now here www.crossfitsparta.com. Although the prices are extremely high, it is worth every penny to me. I am currently in Tampa Fire Rescues Academy and I am smoking everyone in P.T. I recommend it for everyone. In our gym there are old men and woman, children and extremely obese people that workout. It is for everyone thats what I love about it. Its an extremely positive atmosphere and you will be pushed to your limits, and will realize you are capable of so much more. Go for it brother you wont regret it.

COchief
05-21-2010, 07:45 AM
These workouts are not for the faint of heart, you will get your ass handed to you. Look at virtually any crossfit gym's pictures, pretty much everyone is ripped. My brother owns one and he is in amazing shape.

kaplin42
05-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Been doing crossfit since about September and I love it. To the guy that said its for the unmotivated, you have no clue. After you do one routine, it takes a shit ton of motivation to want to go back.

I am lucky and have a unique situation where I don't have to pay for the gym or the training. However, I also don't get the bonus of a group of people.

I will say that there is nothing quite like the feeling when you have given it all and you a just spent, but you know you totally kicked ass (your own ass) over the last 20 minutes.

Because of crossfit I was able to do a 5k mud run out where I live. This was so much fun, that when we got home, we signed up for another one that was being advertised at the one we were at. No way in September would I have even contemplated such a thing.

If you are over weight, a couch potato, perfectly fit, or just want to change it up, crossfit would be my suggestion. And the awesome thing is, you start to see results right away.

Crashride
05-21-2010, 08:54 AM
The person that said it is for the unmotivated has to be trolling or clueless. :banghead:

ModSocks
05-21-2010, 09:34 AM
P90X Biatch!

P90X crew bangin' on you Crossfit foo's, yo!

ChiTown
05-21-2010, 09:37 AM
P90X Biatch!

P90X crew bangin' on you Crossfit foo's, yo!

I'm doing P90X and matching that up with the Smart for Life Cookie Diet.

I've lost 14 pounds in a little over a month. I'm digging it. I got about another 9 pounds to lose, and then it's time to hit the weights hard.

ModSocks
05-21-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm doing P90X and matching that up with the Smart for Life Cookie Diet.

I've lost 14 pounds in a little over a month. I'm digging it. I got about another 9 pounds to lose, and then it's time to hit the weights hard.

Nice, GJ. Im slowly getting acclimated to my "life-style change". Everyday as soon as I get off work, my GF and I do our P90X. If I don't, i get ansy (sp) and dont know what to do in that time slot, lol. It's like my body demands that I work out when I get home, otherwise i have bundle of energy that I dont know what to do with.

ChiTown
05-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Nice, GJ. Im slowly getting acclimated to my "life-style change". Everyday as soon as I get off work, my GF and I do our P90X. If I don't, i get ansy (sp) and dont know what to do in that time slot, lol. It's like my body demands that I work out when I get home, otherwise i have bundle of energy that I dont know what to do with.

I get up at 530 am and do it. It makes me feel great, and I feel like I can kick ass at the office, lol. It's goofy, but this shit works, and it's addictive.

kaplin42
05-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about P90X. The only thing I have heard is that if you do it, you do it, no half assing it. But then that should be true for anything really.

ModSocks
05-21-2010, 10:27 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about P90X. The only thing I have heard is that if you do it, you do it, no half assing it. But then that should be true for anything really.

I've seen your sig, but never paid attention to it. Now that im watching it....man...I think i would have the same reaction as that kid if she put my finger in her mouth.....

EyePod
06-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Did my first fundamentals course (finally). I got my fiance to try the baseline, and now she's hooked too. So we're both doing the fundamentals course now. Learned the shoulder press, push press, push jerk, and kettlebell swings. I have 2 more fundamental courses, and then I'm gonna jump in to working out 3 times a week!

And about p90x, I've heard awesome things about it too. My issue is that it's so much easier to put something off when I'm sitting at home, but if i make myself go to the crossfit box... hard to not get motivated.

For you crossfitters out there, what kind of shoes do you wear? I know a lot of people wear weight lifting shoes, but I don't know what the best options are.

NewChief
06-05-2010, 07:36 AM
For you crossfitters out there, what kind of shoes do you wear? I know a lot of people wear weight lifting shoes, but I don't know what the best options are.

Barefoot. ;)

Seriously, here's a discussion of that very thing:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=20620

EyePod
06-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I've seen that thread before. I've seen some people at the box with those "vibram five fingers" or something similar. They kind of freak me out. I hate the idea of the socks, let alone shoes...

Omaha
06-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Just to put it in perspective, I pay $30/mo for my gym membership, which includes daycare, access to all the equipment and the classes. And my wife's membership is also included in that price. $30 for two people for full access. There's no way in hell I'm paying 6-10 times that amount for Crossfit, especially when I could do the workouts on my own if I really wanted to.

Holy crap! That's cheap! We pay $145/mo for our club membership. We can't really switch to a cheaper one because it's about the only place left to play racquetball in Omaha. It's also a very nice facility.