PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Major League 2 Catcher

Chiefs Rool
05-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Remember that terrible sequel to Major League? With the catcher, Rube, who's biggest problem was that he couldn't ever make that throw back to the pitcher? I remember thinking that was stupid, but I guess the joke's on me!

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/Saltalamacchia-in-minors-to-work-on-throwing-?urn=fantasy,240938

Jarrod Saltalamacchia(notes) has absolutely destroyed the pitching he's seen so far at Triple-A. He's batting .343 in 18 games for Oklahoma City with five doubles, three homers, and an on-base percentage of .400.

You might recall that Saltalamacchia began the year as the Texas Rangers starting catcher, then hit the disabled list with a back injury just two games into the season. Considering the current state of the catching position in Arlington (Matt Treanor(notes) is hitting .209), you'd think that Saltalamacchia would be welcomed back.

His bat is ready, but the rest of him isn't. Saltalamacchia is struggling with his throws — not his across-the-diamond throws to second base, but his 60-foot tosses to the pitcher's mound.

Details here from MiLB.com:

In Salty's last game, Tuesday night at AT&T Bricktown Ballpark, 12 of his throws back to the pitcher landed either short of the mound or in center field. He had five errant throws in the first inning alone.

"He's just got to keep playing until he gets it right," RedHawks manager Bobby Jones said. "I don't know what else to do. It's a shame. It's definitely what's keeping him here. He's blocking the ball well and swinging the bat well. He's just got to figure it out. It's a shame."

[…]

Saltalamacchia said, "Everything feels good. My throws have been good down to second. We've been working on different arm angles, getting on top of the ball more rather than getting on the side. So everything's going smoothly and we'll see where it goes."

Yikes. He's talking about "getting on top of the ball more" on his throws to the pitcher. That's messy. It sounds like this isn't a physical problem since he's apparently making in-game throws that have a much higher degree of difficulty. Here's hoping he can beat the issue quickly, before it develops into something like the Mackey Sasser situation. Saltalamacchia is a serious talent, but this is clearly an affliction that a catcher can't live with.

(For the record: Yahoo! Answers has already resolved this problem. Always consult the Internet before changing your arm angle).

pr_capone
05-14-2010, 08:45 PM
I had a man crush on Salty when he was in Atlanta. Shame he is having this mental block. The kid has everything a catcher needs to play a long time in the majors.

kcxiv
05-14-2010, 08:48 PM
lol, he should just clothes his eyes and throw it back, maybe his muscle memory will get it right haha

cardken
05-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Give him a Victoria's Secret catalog to take his mind of the throws.

Ebolapox
05-14-2010, 10:20 PM

I was going to go with playboy, but the idea is the same.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-15-2010, 04:17 AM
Mackey Sasser 2.0

milkman
05-15-2010, 06:58 AM
lol, he should just clothes his eyes and throw it back, maybe his muscle memory will get it right haha

"clothes" his eyes.

Jesus, that the worst I've ever seen.

Do you hang your "close" in the closet?

Deberg_1990
05-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Convert him to 1st base.

Hootie
05-15-2010, 07:33 AM
shit happens man...

the mind is a crazy thing...

Chuck Knoblauch went from gold glove 2nd baseman to shit ass left fielder/out of the league in two years because he couldn't throw the ball from 2nd to 1st...

Steve Sax had the same problem before that...

Marco Polo
05-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Don't forget current Royal Rick Ankiel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hootie
05-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Don't forget current Royal Rick Ankiel.
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah...

talk about bizarre

Gonzo
05-15-2010, 08:24 AM
"clothes" his eyes.

ROFL
I saw that too. I'm wondering if auto-spell got him.
Posted via Mobile Device

aturnis
05-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Major League 2 did not suck. It wasn't awesome, but it was good enough for me to watch again and again. Three sucked, but I have to say, I love the series so much, I still watch it.

FAX
05-15-2010, 11:08 AM
"clothes" his eyes.

It makes sense, Mr. milkman. That place where your eye is is called a "socket" which means that your eyelid should probably actually be called a "shoet" and shoes are clothes.

FAX

MIAdragon
05-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Convert him to 1st base.

This was going to happen anyway, the knock on him is his lack of D.

Gary
05-15-2010, 11:39 AM

"Matching crotchless panties are also available." "I never has a regular girlfriend like you, but I did get kicked in the balls once by a mule."