PDA

View Full Version : Poop I.M. Anonymous:NFL looks the other way when it comes to "street drugs"

LaChapelle
05-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Veteran NFL player says league's substance abuse policy leaves door wide open for street drugs

I.M. Anonymous
SPECIAL TO THE NEWS

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/05/15/2010-05-15_former_player_says_nfl_is_league_of_junkies.html

Originally Published:Saturday, May 15th 2010, 11:48 AM
Updated: Saturday, May 15th 2010, 5:29 PM

Springtime in the NFL means a few things for players. First, we're training to get ready for minicamps. Two: Our teams are bringing in rookies and free agents. And three: Players have to take a break from their favorite street drug of choice to avoid getting put in the NFL Drug program.

It's only for a few months, because while the NFL is hard on guys like Brian Cushing (Editor's note: The Houston Texans linebacker and reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year recently tested positive for a banned substance and will miss four games this season), it's easy on players who use street drugs.

The hypocrisy of the NFL is that the league goes to extreme measures to make sure we're not using PEDs - which, if used correctly and not abused, could prolong our careers. But the NFL has completely dropped the ball when it comes to street drugs. The NFL doesn't want so-called "cheaters" - players being faster, healthier and playing longer. So they settle for a bunch of gifted junkies.

There are two drug tests in the NFL. First, there's the random performance enhancer test. This can occur at any time throughout the season, on Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. We have to produce a valid urine sample under the watchful eye of an independent company. What's a valid sample? It means the urine can't be too clear or too yellow (they test PH levels before sending samples off to the lab), and the sample has to be given before practice. The cup has to be filled to the correct height. During the offseason, the NFL can also collect random samples anytime, anywhere: With 24 hours notice, they can have someone at your mom's house in any town or state in the USA.

But street drugs? As long as we're not repeat offenders in the NFL's substance abuse program, we get one test and one test only. So every team has a few guys shooting up something: Prescription pills, marijuana, crack, cocaine, meth, pretty much any drug someone can pick up on a street corner is fair game for most players during the football season.

Pretty remarkable what a select few of us individuals can do when you think about it. Marijuana every morning - even a line or two before games. How about two Percocet, one Vicodin? Want a team doctor to give you a shot of Toradol, a powerful painkiller administered via needle that blocks pain receptors, lasts two days and (the best part) is pretty trippy to play on? No problem.

While the NFL is chasing down those PED "cheaters," the real losers only need to cut back on drug use for about two months, in May and June. We're warned at the very first meeting of May minicamp/OTAs by the head athletic trainer: "Annuals are this week ... If you don't get tested this week, you will be tested in June." That kind of behavior almost condones the use of street drugs!

The whole thing is a joke. When players fail a test, other players say, "What an idiot ... He couldn't stop for a month?"

I know guys who (almost) silently pray to get tested in May. The longer they're without, the closer they come to practically screaming, "Test me now! I need to smoke!"

The NFL's substance abuse policy leaves the door wide open to abuse.

Have a question for our Anonymous Athlete? E-mail him at websports@nydailynews.com

aturnis
05-16-2010, 10:01 AM
You can't tell me that when they are randomly testing for PED's, they don't also test for pot. If a guy drops dirty for pot on a PED test, they'll get popped. I can't help but call a bit of bullshit on this.

Brock
05-16-2010, 10:03 AM
What's so hard to believe about it?

kstater
05-16-2010, 10:24 AM
If you want to throw accusations around, don't hide behind being anonymous.

alnorth
05-16-2010, 10:50 AM
If you want to throw accusations around, don't hide behind being anonymous.

He didnt throw accusations around. (except generically at "the NFL"). If he was calling out a specific player, that would be one thing, but if he wants to blow the whistle on a policy, without implicating anyone specific, doing it anonymously is fine.

WilliamTheIrish
05-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Sounds like the NCAA testing policy. Not that I care about weed anyway.

NewChief
05-16-2010, 10:58 AM
I bet that prescription drugs are the most abused in the NFL. Doctors write scrips for players without question, and for good reason. The nature of the game creates a lot of pain. Unfortunately repeated use of narcotics (even if it starts as legitimate) puts them at a high risk of developing a dependence.

kstater
05-16-2010, 11:06 AM
He didnt throw accusations around. (except generically at "the NFL"). If he was calling out a specific player, that would be one thing, but if he wants to blow the whistle on a policy, without implicating anyone specific, doing it anonymously is fine.

The policy is likely one argued for by the players association in CBA negotiations, not the league.

DRU
05-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Prescription pills, marijuana, crack, cocaine, meth, pretty much any drug someone can pick up on a street corner is fair game for most players during the football season.

Other than mary jane, everything on this list is highly addictive. If somebody was smoking crack through-out the year and was then told, oh, just stop for a couple months and you'll be fine...it ain't happening. That's why they're junkies...they can't stop.

Stop smoking weed for a couple months and you just might feel a little bit bored and wish you could smoke. Stop doing any of those other things, including many prescription drugs, and your body convulses and you get sick.

I gotta call a little bit of BS on this, too, or at least some extreme exaggeration. If you're doing hard drugs like that on a regular basis stopping in May or June isn't an option. There could be a few exceptions out there, but I really think this article is probably more accurate for the pot-heads in the league more than anything else, and if you're a player that doesn't smoke pot you probably have the advantage, so stop crying.

NewChief
05-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Other than mary jane, everything on this list is highly addictive. If somebody was smoking crack through-out the year and was then told, oh, just stop for a couple months and you'll be fine...it ain't happening. That's why they're junkies...they can't stop.

Stop smoking weed for a couple months and you just might feel a little bit bored and wish you could smoke. Stop doing any of those other things, including many prescription drugs, and your body convulses and you get sick.

I gotta call a little bit of BS on this, too, or at least some extreme exaggeration. If you're doing hard drugs like that on a regular basis stopping in May or June isn't an option. There could be a few exceptions out there, but I really think this article is probably more accurate for the pot-heads in the league more than anything else.

All of those drugs can be used for recreation and partying without developing addiction; however, the problem these guys would have, I would think is that they have unlimited access and (to some extent) unlimited funds to spend on the shit. That combination is a good one for bumping use from recreational to habitual.

Brock
05-16-2010, 11:14 AM

I gotta call a little bit of BS on this, too, or at least some extreme exaggeration. If you're doing hard drugs like that on a regular basis stopping in May or June isn't an option. There could be a few exceptions out there, but I really think this article is probably more accurate for the pot-heads in the league more than anything else, and if you're a player that doesn't smoke pot you probably have the advantage, so stop crying.

So you think a lot of players don't use and abuse cocaine, vicodin, percocet? Wake up.

OnTheWarpath15
05-16-2010, 11:18 AM
So you think a lot of players don't use and abuse cocaine, vicodin, percocet? Wake up.

No kidding. Looks like someone should read my book.

Signed,

Ex-Cornhusker Jason Peter.

Mr. Laz
05-16-2010, 11:23 AM
is it the NFL's job to control street drugs?

seems to me like PED's are much more under the NFL purview than trying to control every aspect of grown men's lives.

PED's affect the NFL

as long as the Player doesn't get busted, whatever they do on their own time, is their own business

Rain Man
05-16-2010, 11:49 AM
If I was an NFL player, I'd have fun making it really, really hard for them to randomly test me, even if I wasn't doing anything illegal. I'd train in the offseason in some place like Dutch Harbor, Alaska, or Ayers Rock in Australia. Let's see them show up within 24 hours.

And good point, Laz. Though if the street drugs damage their products, I could see them testing for it.

WhitiE
05-16-2010, 11:58 AM
is it the NFL's job to control street drugs?

seems to me like PED's are much more under the NFL purview than trying to control every aspect of grown men's lives.

PED's affect the NFL

as long as the Player doesn't get busted, whatever they do on their own time, is their own business

pretty much....

notorious
05-16-2010, 01:24 PM
I honestly don't give a damn if the football players snort pixi stix. As long as they play their ass off on the field and entertain me they can do whatever they want on their own time.

salame
05-16-2010, 06:45 PM
how much better players do you think some guys would be if the NFL didn't allow any alcohol use during season?