PDA

View Full Version : News Man who duped Harvard now sued by the school

Msmith
05-18-2010, 01:53 PM
WOBURN, Mass. – A Delaware man who attended Harvard University for two years before getting kicked out pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges he fabricated a perfect record of academic achievement to get into the Ivy League school.

Adam Wheeler was tossed from Harvard when he tried to get the school's endorsement for Rhodes and Fulbright scholarships, and a professor reviewing his applications found evidence he had plagiarized from another professor, prosecutors say. Wheeler's parents gave him up to a Yale official who called to ask about their son's transfer application.

At his arraignment Tuesday, Wheeler was ordered held on $5,000 bail on 20 counts of larceny, identity fraud and other charges. If he makes bail, he must stay away from Harvard and the other academic institutions involved in the alleged scheme, surrender his passport and remain in Massachusetts, a Middlesex Superior Court judge said.

The 23-year-old Wheeler claimed he got a perfect score on the SAT, straight A's at prestigious prep school Phillips Academy Andover and at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on his application to Harvard in 2007, prosecutors said. In reality, he had never attended either school, Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone said.

Prosecutor John Verner said in court Tuesday that Wheeler essentially stole $45,000 in financial aid, scholarship money and academic awards from Harvard.

His web of academic deceit unraveled in September when he sought the school's endorsement for Rhodes and Fulbright scholarships and a professor found evidence that he had plagiarized from another professor, Leone said.

"This defendant's actions cheated those who competed honestly and fairly for admissions and for the scholarships that this defendant fraudulently obtained," he said.

Wheeler, an English major who would have graduated from Harvard this spring, tried to transfer to Yale and Brown after he got caught at Harvard, Leone said, again by falsifying his achievements and recommendations.

In his applications, Wheeler said he was employed by McLean Hospital, a psychiatric facility affiliated with Harvard, even though he was not, Leone said. His transfer application included faked recommendations from an employee at the hospital and from his former Harvard dean, Leone said.

Yale was tipped off by Wheeler's parents, Verner said. A Yale official called the Wheeler home to ask about his application, and one of his parents told the official that the application wasn't truthful and their son had been thrown out of Harvard.

Wheeler's parents refused to comment outside of court.

His lawyer, Steven Sussman, said his client "will have his day in court and that day is not today."

Harvard said in a statement Monday it could not discuss individual cases because of federal privacy laws and referred all questions to the district attorney's office.

Wheeler was a student at Bowdoin College in Maine from 2005-07, but was suspended for academic dishonesty, authorities said.

So he lied in his application. And Harvard wants the money back that once awarded him.

The committee that put him in Harvard should take responsibility for this fiasco. But I do like the comment from one of the posters about Wheeler: "a true politician in the works..."

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100518/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_academic_fraud_probe#mwpphu-container

Rooster
05-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Was it this guy?

Demonpenz
05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
probably all about ego, but is it truely worth all this trouble. It's still an ENGLISH degree.

Bwana
05-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Biff and Muffy will NOT be pleased!

http://jezebel.com/assets/resources/2007/12/brooksbrosPOLEASS120907.jpg

chefsos
05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Heh. That dude graduated (assuming he didn't fake that, too) from the same high school that I did, albeit 28 years after me.

chiefzilla1501
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Sorry to throw the political slant.

But interesting that this guy's getting sued by his school, while the illegal immigrant who got pulled over and took in-state tuition off fake information, is being rallied around.

vailpass
05-18-2010, 05:06 PM
probably all about ego, but is it truely worth all this trouble. It's still an ENGLISH degree.

No, it's an English degree from Harvard.

Gadzooks
05-18-2010, 05:21 PM

But interesting that this guy's getting sued by his school, while the illegal immigrant who got pulled over and took in-state tuition off fake information, is being rallied around.

If you keep this up, this thread is goin' stright to "Washington D.C. and the Holy Land ".

chiefzilla1501
05-18-2010, 05:35 PM
If you keep this up, this thread is goin' stright to "Washington D.C. and the Holy Land ".

Yup. Sorry to throw that in there. That's all I had to say about that.

Bwana
05-18-2010, 05:53 PM
No, it's an English degree from Harvard.

No it's HaRRRRRRvard.

http://chronicle.com/img/photos/biz/harvard-fashion-line.jpg

jidar
05-18-2010, 05:56 PM

Yeah so interesting and so relevant!

Haha... god. It never fails. This place is such a bitchfest respository for the poor underprivileged white man.

RedNFeisty
05-18-2010, 06:03 PM
I can not believe the boys parents snitched him out. I do not condone what the boy did, but I can see why. I think charging him with larceny is going a tad over board.

Rain Man
05-18-2010, 06:08 PM
So did he get the Rhodes and Fulbright scholarships or not?

DaneMcCloud
05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
I think anyone that can con Harvard should get a full ride

SAUTO
05-18-2010, 06:23 PM

exactly, and he was obviously doing well also.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
05-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Yeah so interesting and so relevant!

Haha... god. It never fails. This place is such a bitchfest respository for the poor underprivileged white man.

Both of these students should get the book thrown at them. It doesn't matter what the ethnicity.

teedubya
05-18-2010, 08:32 PM
It doesn't matter, he will soon lie on his resume about his Harvard degree?

BossChief
05-18-2010, 08:49 PM

absolutely

Chiefnj2
05-18-2010, 09:14 PM
I guess once you get in the classes aren't that tough. He lied his way in and after a few years was eligible to be a Rhodes Scholar?

DeezNutz
05-18-2010, 09:30 PM

Truth.

How marketable can high-level language and critical thinking skills be?
Sounds pointless to me.
(look at the weak couplet!)

Msmith
05-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Here is another story based on the same principle-human stupidity:

Workers asked to return bonuses after 16 years

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. – About 180 county employees in suburban Atlanta are being asked to return thousands of dollars the county says they were overpaid 16 years ago.

Gwinnett County's chief financial officer, Aaron Bovos, calls it a project to "clean up receivables and to eliminate outstanding obligations."

The county is seeking to collect more than $39,000 from employees who received bonuses in their paychecks in 1994. Authorities blamed the overpayments on a payroll anomaly when the county adjusted employees' payroll cycles.

Employees can apply the money to vacation leave or make a cash payment.

So if the employees fail to pay back, they will be docked on the vacations.

Swanman
05-19-2010, 08:33 AM

My thoughts exactly. He shows street smarts and creativity in figuring out how to dupe the school and get away with it (for a while at least).

And also, given the joke of an admissions process at most schools these days, it doesn't bother me that someone faked their way in. Especially at the Ivy League schools, where every little rich bastard whose daddy and daddy's daddy went to the school got in because of being a legacy.

kepp
05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Here is another story based on the same principle-human stupidity:

Workers asked to return bonuses after 16 years

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. – About 180 county employees in suburban Atlanta are being asked to return thousands of dollars the county says they were overpaid 16 years ago.

Gwinnett County's chief financial officer, Aaron Bovos, calls it a project to "clean up receivables and to eliminate outstanding obligations."

The county is seeking to collect more than $39,000 from employees who received bonuses in their paychecks in 1994. Authorities blamed the overpayments on a payroll anomaly when the county adjusted employees' payroll cycles.

Employees can apply the money to vacation leave or make a cash payment.

So if the employees fail to pay back, they will be docked on the vacations.

Wow...that's just ridiculous. I've heard of instances of a company overpaying on an employee's direct deposit, and then correcting it (taking the $$ back) after a couple days, but there needs to be some sort of statute of limitations on it.

kepp
05-19-2010, 08:41 AM
And also, given the joke of an admissions process at most schools these days, it doesn't bother me that someone faked their way in. Especially at the Ivy League schools, where every little rich bastard whose daddy and daddy's daddy went to the school got in because of being a legacy.

http://www.boston.com/business/markets/articles/2010/01/28/harvard_endowment_leads_others_down/
The total value of Harvard’s endowment fell nearly 30 percent in the fiscal year ended June 30, 2009, to $25.7 billion, according to a national survey of college and university funds released today.

Their endowment is nearly $26 billion even after a 30% decline. Yeah, I don't feel the least bit sorry for Harvard.

gblowfish
05-19-2010, 08:46 AM
He should be able to get into Kansas, no problem.
It's the Harvard of the Midwest.

kepp
05-19-2010, 08:49 AM
He should be able to get into Kansas, no problem.
It's the Harvard of the Midwest.

And they're used to fake transcripts.

Rain Man
05-19-2010, 08:50 AM
I guess once you get in the classes aren't that tough. He lied his way in and after a few years was eligible to be a Rhodes Scholar?

Harvard has it made. They've got a reputation that makes nearly everyone view them as desirable, so they can pick the brightest and/or richest students. Those students are inclined to get good grades anyway, and then they all get good grades as a policy, which means every student goes out with an "I was a straight-A student at Harvard" resume, which then positions them to get other prestigious academic positions, which then feeds the monster again. And on top of that, they've got a tight alumni network that gives new grads a big jump start in their careers, which means they're then viewed as "high achievers" even though they started out on the 9th rung of the ladder, and that positions them to move up even faster. It really is a great model if you can get that level of reputation.

I wish I had figured that out in 1981.

Pants
05-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Kid's going to get recruited by the CIA. Don't worry.