PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: OTA #3 Practice Report/Wednesday

Tribal Warfare
05-19-2010, 07:08 PM
OTA #3 Practice Report/Wednesday (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ota-3-practice-reportwednesday.html#more-13730)
May 19, 2010 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

The Chiefs closed out their first week of OTAs on Wednesday morning by tip-toeing through the rain drops on the outdoor fields at their facility.

“Though we have an extremely long way to go, I think we had a very good week and definitely made progress in areas where we need to make progress,” said head coach Todd Haley.

After the first week of practices, Haley said the physical condition of the players compared to last year at this time is a night and day difference.

“It’s not even close,” said Haley. “There are guys that may be at similar weights as they were at this time last year, but they are in so much better condition. We’ve really had a good off-season to this point. The guys are excited and energized and it’s fun to be around them. There’s a great overall energy to the group. This is a good time.”

Roll call was similar to the first session on Monday that was open to the media. The Chiefs newest player LB Cory Greenwood was on the field working on the inside and wearing No. 93.

Among the 86 players on the roster, the only one missing was veteran S Jarrad Page. There were seven players out of the action and working on injuries. Joining the group that was out all week was WR David Grimes, who pulled a hamstring during Tuesday’s session.

Also watching were RB Jamaal Charles, CB Brandon Flowers, TE Brad Cottam, WR Quinten Lawrence, WR Lance Long and rookie TE Tony Moeaki.

Charles said after practice that the team has given him no idea when he’ll be allowed to practice. He’s recovering from shoulder surgery back in January. “I’m not worried about it right now,” Charles said. “I’m doing what I can to get myself into shape and ready for the season.

“What matters is that I’m ready to go for training camp. I guess they are going to be careful.”

Here’s some of what went down on the field in the third session:

* Working with the No. 1 nickel defense was Wallace Gilberry and Glenn Dorsey on the line, Mike Vrabel and Tamba Hali on the edge, with Derrick Johnson and Jovan Belcher working inside. On the corners were Brandon Carr, Maurice Leggett and either Jackie Bates, Travis Daniels or Javier Arenas as the nickel, with Jon McGraw and Reshard Langford at safety. Several times, DaJuan Morgan replaced Langford at one of the safety spots.
* First-round draft choice Eric Berry moved up the depth chart on the nickel, working at safety with the No. 2 unit.
* Last year’s fourth-round pick Donald Washington took some plays at safety.
* Daniels had a good day, breaking up several passes in seven-on-seven drills.
* In the seven-on-seven and team work, the Chiefs offense ran out of a one-back alignment, with Thomas Jones, Dexter McCluster and Kolby Smith.
* McCluster went down the right sideline and made a nice adjustment on the run to a Brodie Croyle pass, but couldn’t pull the ball in to make the catch.
* WR Dwayne Bowe had a drop on a slant throw with Arenas in coverage behind him.
* In the passing game, the Chiefs threw a couple bombs but couldn’t connect, as Croyle and WR Jerheme Urban just missed down the left side and rookie WR Jeremy Horne had a chance to catch a Croyle throw deep but couldn’t pull it down.
* Claimed on waivers over the weekend, TE Leroy Banks showed some skill as a receiver, catching a deep ball and another medium throw. With Cottam and Moeaki not working, Banks is getting a chance to show his skills. Banks runs really well.
* On special teams, the Chiefs worked on punt coverage, as coach Steve Hoffman took them through the fundamentals of getting down field quickly, but with good fundamentals and control.
* The rookies will be working out in the strength and conditioning program on Thursday, but veterans won’t be back together until Monday.

HoneyBadger
05-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a longggg way to go.

Rain Man
05-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Sounds like a longggg way to go.

Our pass dropping seems to be way ahead of where it was a year ago.

Just Passin' By
05-19-2010, 08:16 PM
It's Cassel's fault the players are dropping Croyle's passes.

Tribal Warfare
05-19-2010, 08:19 PM

At least he's getting the balls there, while Cassel prays that it just flat out doesn't die in the air for an INT.

milkman
05-19-2010, 08:20 PM

When you're used to attempting to catch marshmellows, a laser is tough to catch.

So.....yeah.

CrazyPhuD
05-19-2010, 08:23 PM
So is Moeaki out for the season yet?

RustShack
05-19-2010, 08:31 PM

Its neither QB's fault that the receivers he was throwing to won't be on the team when the season starts. I wonder why they didn't talk about deep passes from Cassel? Oh wait, he can't throw a deep pass.

SAUTO
05-19-2010, 08:34 PM
washington at safety i wonder who has said that before???
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
05-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, we do have a shortage of them, what with only about 15 on the roster.

And yes, I did embellish a bit, but you get the point.

SAUTO
05-19-2010, 08:55 PM

And yes, I did embellish a bit, but you get the point.

well we need a true ss and washington fits the bill imo
Posted via Mobile Device

salame
05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
of course bowe dropped a ball
of course he did

TheGuardian
Belcher running inside with the first team. I called it a while back.

RustShack
Langford really doesn't sound bad at SS. If Lewis lives up the the Sammy Knight hype I would love to have him next to Berry. Page could be a wild card if he signs his tender... he has the size.. he might be more of a ball hawking safety but he can lay the wood. He does have some tackling issues.. that that can be masked/cured by a better front seven and him not having to take bad angles to the ball. Also we do have a better DC and DB coach this year... He still is pretty young too so its crazy to think he can't be better than what he was his first two years starting(he was hurt all last year).

RustShack
05-19-2010, 09:06 PM

First team nickle package.. with DJ.. who also runs with the second team in our base defense... oh and Gillberry who obviously isn't our starting DE either.

HemiEd
05-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Is the depth chart set yet?

Chiefnj2
05-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Pretty much - probably 99% of the first team.

LT- Albert
LG- Waters
C - Weigman
RG - Lilja
RT - O'Callaghan
TE - Pope
QB - Cassell
HB - Charles, Jones
WR- Bowe
WR - Chambers

Red Beans
05-20-2010, 05:54 AM
I like that LB set but I'd like it even better if the first team looked like Studebaker, Belcher, DJ, and Hali.

ChiefGator
05-20-2010, 06:35 AM

No depth chart is set this early. They are just plugging players in.. People need to stop reading so much into this early stuff....

Except for positions played like ...

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, what is with that. It seems like we have plenty of safety help. I had hopes Washington would provide help at cornerback or nickelback this year... I guess I still have hopes of that. It is just getting awfully crowded back there at safety, especially if Page ever signs his papers.

The Bad Guy
05-20-2010, 07:51 AM
At least he's getting the balls there, while Cassel prays that it just flat out doesn't die in the air for an INT.

Your posts have turned comical.

Regardless what the topic, you will turn it into a Cassel bash-fest.

Congratulations on becoming the 2010 version of Reerun.

The Bad Guy
05-20-2010, 07:52 AM

Nickel defense.

Try not to bruise your back from patting it to much.

HemiEd
05-20-2010, 07:54 AM
No depth chart is set this early. They are just plugging players in.. People need to stop reading so much into this early stuff....

Except for positions played like ...

:facepalm: It was sarcasm

ChiefGator
05-20-2010, 08:44 AM
:facepalm: It was sarcasm

Damn sarcasm meter. Of course you are being sarcastic because it is also realistic. People are looking at these OTA line ups and starting to freak out...