PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you care about material possesions?

El Jefe
05-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Over the years I have been here on CP I have seen a lot of people who seem to not care about having all the newest stuff. I have seen many who think driving a beater car is the best route to go, and not spend money unwisely. I am curious to see how many people really care about having brand name labels, expensive cars, and anything the falls in the genre of "Keeping up with the Jones". I like to have nice things, but really cant afford top notch stuff, but I really don't need that stuff to be happy. I am a pretty simple person for the most part, I appreciate, but don't need nice things. I don't have to rock J's to be feeling good, I will buy a cheap pair of Nike's. Would it hurt your ego if you had to buy clothes at Wal-Mart instead of Macy's, or if you had to roll in a 90 Civic instead of a 09 Civic? I see a lot of our customers struggling in this recession to keep their "appearance" up.

Bump
05-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Over the years I have been here on CP I have seen a lot of people who seem to not care about having all the newest stuff. I have seen many who think driving a beater car is the best route to go, and not spend money unwisely. I am curious to see how many people really care about having brand name labels, expensive cars, and anything the falls in the genre of "Keeping up with the Joneses". I like to have nice things, but really can't afford top-notch stuff, but I really don't need that stuff to be happy. I am a pretty simple person for the most part, I appreciate, but don't need nice things. I don't have to rock J's to be feeling good, I will buy a cheap pair of Nike's. Would it hurt your ego if you had to buy clothes at Wal-Mart instead of Macy's, or if you had to roll in a 90 Civic instead of a 09 Civic? I see a lot of our customers struggling in this recession to keep their "appearance" up.

fyp

El Jefe
05-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Even another situation, do you spend extra money to make sure your wife or kids have name brand things?

El Jefe
05-20-2010, 09:32 AM
fyp

tanks ;)

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 09:33 AM
ive had new trucks, the best clothes, the newest gadgets. That stuff is nice but in the big picture i enjoy fresh tilled dirt, kids drivin me up a wall, a crazy woman, good friends, and ice cold beer. Just to name a few.

shit i dont even have cable.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Even another situation, do you spend extra money to make sure your wife or kids have name brand things?

i spend my monies on whatever they need. Not want.

Sofa King
05-20-2010, 09:35 AM
I like nice hunting stuff... other than that, i don't really give a crap...

Bugeater
05-20-2010, 09:36 AM
I like to buy other people's top of the line stuff used for a fraction of the price.

Bane
05-20-2010, 09:36 AM
I do somewhat,but I won't do without basic needs to get stuff to show off or shit like that.Some of my neighbors have bigger and better lawn mowers,nicer grills,and stuff like that so I guess maybe I'm not as bad as some.My thing with my toys is my truck and my bike,outside of those I have probably the same things the average person does inside and out.

DaFace
05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't care about posessions from an image standpoint, but I do like things that help me to have a more relaxing life. I spend a lot of money on household stuff to improve our place and outdoor gear, for example.

Saulbadguy
Yes.

Bump
To answer your question, I am a man who has no shame of purchasing clothes at a consignment shop. I drive a car that gets me from A to B and the only thing fancy about it is that it has a CD player. I change my own oil and perform routine maintenance. I live in a safe neighborhood, even though my house is the ugliest one of the block. I don't waste money by making my lawn look perfect, but I mow it regularly just for appearance. When I go grocery shopping, the entire cart is filled almost only with items that are on sale. I'm not ashamed to get up at 8am on a Saturday to go check out yard sales and I have found some nice gems for dirt cheap!

Every little bit adds up, at the end of the year I will have thousands more than someone who makes the same income as I do.

Brock
05-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Nope.

Rausch
05-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Not so much anymore. Still love my new iMac and PS3 but if I moved tomorrow I could fit everything in my Honda.

Honestly, I like that. And I no longer have the desire to purchase anything that says KC on it...

Pants
To answer your question, I am a man who has no shame of purchasing clothes at a consignment shop. I drive a car that gets me from A to B and the only thing fancy about it is that it has a CD player. I change my own oil and perform routine maintenence. I live in a safe neighborhood, even though my house is the ugliest one of the block. I don't waste money making my lawn look perfect, but I mow it regularly just for appearance. When I go grocery shopping, the entire cart is filled almost only with items that are on sale. I'm not ashamed to get up at 8am on a Saturday to go check out yard sales and I have found some nice gems for dirt cheap!

Every little bit adds up, at the end of the year I will have thousands more than someone who makes the same income as I do.

And what are those thousands for?

wutamess
ive had new trucks, the best clothes, the newest gadgets. That stuff is nice but in the big picture i enjoy fresh tilled dirt, kids drivin me up a wall, a crazy woman, good friends, and ice cold beer. Just to name a few.

This. Nothing beats just living life. NOTHING!

Cannibal
05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
We live within our means and we have some nice things, but nothing crazy. If we suddenly became a multi-millionaires, we would upgrade in several areas, but we wouldn't go crazy ostentatious.

NewChief
05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
I don't care about posessions from an image standpoint, but I do like things that help me to have a more relaxing life. I spend a lot of money on household stuff to improve our place and outdoor gear, for example.

This. I spend quite a bit of money on gear and stuff for our house. We're pretty obsessed with modern architecture and design, and a lot of that shit tends to be expensive.

I do care about image (and my wife definitely does). The difference is that my "look" doesn't really cost much money.

Brock
05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
What I've discovered is that things you own end up owning you.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 09:42 AM
i do love me a new chainsaw though.

Cannibal
05-20-2010, 09:44 AM
I usually get a new car every 5 years. But after this year, I am going to keep the car I have and drive it for awhile and put that money into the house.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 09:45 AM
I usually get a new car every 5 years. But after this year, I am going to keep the car I have and drive it for awhile and put that money into the house.

i like a truck/car i car run into the ditch and not cry about it. Go pre-79 mopar!

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Of course I care. That being said it is not on the top of my list of important things in life. Raisng my son and enjoying my family is. Living where I do has given me the unique opportunity of seeing people who care about physical possesions way too much. They have lots of things but no relationship with even their own children. lil momma worked with kids out here from a very wealthy area and they would tell her all the time that they wanted to go home with her. How can you have love without familiarity? It's really very sad.

The Franchise
05-20-2010, 09:47 AM

This.

Cannibal
05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
i like a truck/car i car run into the ditch and not cry about it. Go pre-79 mopar!

If I had the money a car collection is one thing I would do.

Demonpenz
I don't care anymore, they are just things, the true power is being able to lose everything and shrug it off knowing you go the balls and work ethic to get it back.

Simply Red
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Bugeater
05-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Earlier this week I noticed that the house next to the one I was working on was in serious disrepair, it looked like nothing had been done for years to the outside of it and the yard looked like complete shit. Usually when I see something like this I assume the people don't have the money to maintain it. I thought otherwise when the residents came home, one of them was driving a late model Infiniti and the other had a newer Tundra with custom wheels and a bunch of other extra crap on it. Doesn't make a damn bit of sense to throw that kind of money into shit that depreciates and let one of your biggest assets go to hell.

rockymtnchief
05-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Not so much anymore.

I'm looking at used travel trailers, low mileage Harleys, and even sold my Kimber .45 ($300 profit) and bought a $389 Taurus .45 to replace it.

I live out in the sticks. Nobody would even notice if I bought anything cool or name brand anymore.

kepp
05-20-2010, 09:54 AM
When I was single I used to care much more than I do now. But now that I have a family, I usually couldn't care less about getting that stuff for myself. I'm more likely to splurge on my wife & kids, though I am trying to teach my kids not to put too much stock in material things. Every once in a while I get the itch for a new truck, but I get over it pretty quick.

wutamess
05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Basically, I have nice things... but I don't give a shit about them if something bad happens to them because that's life. For instance... My Truck. My kids has ran through that fugger. I've dinged it a couple of times too.

People always complain about their kid or wife did this or that to such and such... I'm sitting here thinking... you're bitching over material shit? Really?

For instance... chick I tattoo on just got a DUI, smacked into someone and rolled her car into some woods. This bitch is remorseful about injuring someone else and hitting them but she's pitching a fit about her car is freaking screwed up. I bluntly told her ass that that's a material possession and she's lucky to be alive and to redirect her thoughts and feelings more towards the quality of life end instead of the material possessions she can replace.

Of course she didn't want to hear a lecture "she wanted a friend". I told her I'm only telling her this because I'm her friend so she can take it or leave it because that's what she's getting from me. She quickly got outta her feelings and realized what I was saying was the truth.

Coogs
05-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Just one. My 55" big screen TV. Can't live without that one. The rest of our money goes to raising a family.

Saulbadguy
05-20-2010, 09:57 AM
I think to a degree, everyone cares about material possessions....just different ones.

I don't care about nice clothes - I like them to look nice, but there is no way i'd ever spend over $25 on a shirt, or $25 on a pair of jeans.

I could give a shit less about upgrading my home.

I do not own a boat. That seems to be one of the more popular wastes of money these days.

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I don't care anymore, they are just things, the true power is being able to lose everything and shrug it off knowing you go the balls and work ethic to get it back.

I don't think many people have an appreciation for that mentality but I certainly do. :clap:

Reaper16
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Shit yeah I care about the shit that I've bought. My shoes, for example. Clothes, books, music, movies, games; I would be pissed if my house burned down because there'd be no way to save everything.

wutamess

And this is what I'm more inline with. Nothing better than a good struggle in life and knowing you'll come out OK because you have that "IT" to do so.

It's carried over well into other areas in life. For instance, I've been laid off 2 times and now it's given me a sense of "I can do anything once I put my mind into it". It's also allowed me to stop kissing so much of the bosses ass while still trying my best. In turn, it allows my bosses to appreciate the constructive honesty they'll get from me instead of the consistent yes men/women we have here.

Demonpenz
Earlier this week I noticed that the house next to the one I was working on was in serious disrepair, it looked like nothing had been done for years to the outside of it and the yard looked like complete shit. Usually when I see something like this I assume the people don't have the money to maintain it. I thought otherwise when the residents came home, one of them was driving a late model Infiniti and the other had a newer Tundra with custom wheels and a bunch of other extra crap on it. Doesn't make a damn bit of sense to throw that kind of money into shit that depreciates and let one of your biggest assets go to hell.

Sounds like they have their happiness graph figured out. Their cars being bad ass gives them more happiness than their house being nice.

HemiEd
05-20-2010, 10:01 AM
I would walk before rolling in either of those Civics. :D

On a more serious note, I grew up a poor boy, lived within my means and like to have nice things when I can.

Cannibal
05-20-2010, 10:01 AM

I agree that if someone lets their home suffer while making payments on two new cars, that is assinine.

But we aren't those people. We had our house reroofed, new gutters, new HVAC unit and tankless water heater last year. This year we replaced 200 feet of privacy fence.

KCUnited
05-20-2010, 10:05 AM
I care about the irreplaceable stuff like my cd collection, sounds ridiculous, but a lot of that shit I would never be able to find again.

Demonpenz
05-20-2010, 10:07 AM
you know even if I did loose everything and I didn't get back. I would hope to be mature to say. "damn that was a hell of a ride while it lasted." Thanks.

keg in kc
05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
A computer, a TV, a refrigerator and a stove. That's all I care about.

gblowfish
05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Hmmm....you mean, would I break into an art gallery and steal million of dollars worth of rare and irreplaceable paintings?

Mmm....could be!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_france_museum_theft

booyaf2
05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
I got a new truck, a newer home, and a newer boat. Those things are all nice. My wardrobe looks a lot like something a homeless guy would have though. Wife don't spend much money on materialistic stuff. We have a couple flat screens, always have beer in the fridge, and money to go fishing with the kids when the weather permits. Thats whats important to us. I wouldn't call myself materialistic over our stuff, i appreciate every bit of what i do have.

El Jefe
05-20-2010, 10:12 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSdItuvBxc8

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 10:15 AM
If I had the money a cattle collection is one thing I would do.

fyp

ModSocks
05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
If I had the money I would. But for the most part, I search for the cheapest I can buy. My old PS2 is on its last legs. I still have tube TV's because there are other things to spend $500 bucks on then a TV that i dont NEED. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't wanna have one.

I don't need a PS3, but I really want one. So, when payday roles around, a PS3 is a pipe dream.

If I could do it easily I would. But, if i have to make my dollar stretch to tight to do it, **** it, it's not worth the stress.

Iowanian
05-20-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't care much for name brands, or the top of the line in anything, in the big picture they don't mean shit.

I have possessions I care about....a shotgun that was my great grandfather's, a .22 that my grandfather left me last year. I want possessions that make my family comfortable, and that work for what I want to do, but I can get by without them.

I'll take the fresh smell of my day old sonowanian, a healthy wife and happy girls over that stuff any day of the week and twice today.

Cannibal
05-20-2010, 10:18 AM
fyp

I'd rather have horses. :D

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2010, 10:20 AM

What about Sally the vibrating vagina?

Fish
05-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Most of my most prized possessions didn't cost me a dime. Guns that have been in the family for generations, family land, etc.

I've been on both sides of it. At times in my life, I've had enough money to have whatever I wanted. Other times the exact opposite. I've noticed that I'm generally happier when I don't feel like I have to have new or updated crap to keep up with others. Excess money/assets tends to turn people into douchebags.

These days I'm a pretty simple man. I get much more satisfaction in providing for my daughter than I do splurging on crap for myself.

L.A. Chieffan
05-20-2010, 10:22 AM
there are a lot more important things to worry about than material possessions and sri lanka...

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 10:23 AM
I'd rather have horses. :D

if i won the lotto id drop it on a nice patch of dirt and live my days out as a gentleman farmer. straight up.
And id build my woman a house. id still live in mine but she could decorate hers anyway she wanted and wed just visit when we were lonely. ;)

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Material "things"? I guess that depends on the definition. But spending beyond your means is silly.

I'm a Costco guy. I'll buy anything and everything I can at Costco because they're a great company, their warranties are excellent, the service is excellent and 99% of the time, the products are excellent. The nearest Costco to me is 25 minutes away, making it an hour drive, which is quite a bit when you have a busy schedule that includes a toddler and three businesses. But I'd rather save money by hitting Costco than overpaying anywhere else.

I'm a shopper. When we remodeled our home, we had specific ideas of what we wanted in light and bathroom fixtures, cabinets, granite, flooring, etc. Some people would just go the first place they find and purchase. Not me. I had all of those things (and more) coming from internet stores, stores in downtown LA and all over Los Angeles. Hell, we got the same exact cabinets at Lowes for $5,000 dollars less than a company that was seen on the Home & Garden network (they remodeled a kitchen for someone on that show). We saw some light fixtures on Melrose that were $189, $249 & $300 respectively for a room. I came back home, Googled and found them on Ebay (from Canada - same exact brand) for $29, $39 & $49 respectively. And it's not that we couldn't have afforded them from the Melrose shop, it's just that I don't like wasting money. I want the very best deal imaginable for just about everything we purchase.

We dump all of that added savings into our 401k's, 529, Money Market accounts, CD's and the market.

Wasting money is a crime.

El Jefe
05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't care much for name brands, or the top of the line in anything, in the big picture they don't mean shit.

I have possessions I care about....a shotgun that was my great grandfather's, a .22 that my grandfather left me last year. I want possessions that make my family comfortable, and that work for what I want to do, but I can get by without them.

I'll take the fresh smell of my day old sonowanian, a healthy wife and happy girls over that stuff any day of the week and twice today.

:clap:

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Most of my most prized possessions didn't cost me a dime. Guns that have been in the family for generations, family land, etc.

I've been on both sides of it. At times in my life, I've had enough money to have whatever I wanted. Other times the exact opposite. I've noticed that I'm generally happier when I don't feel like I have to have new or updated crap to keep up with others. Excess money/assets tends to turn people into douchebags.

These days I'm a pretty simple man. I get much more satisfaction in providing for my daughter than I do splurging on crap for myself.

Great mentality. It's amazing the different attitudes people have when it comes to their survivors. From planning every step of the way and sacrifice to I raised them. let them find their own way. I am talking about people who have a lot of money too.

Cannibal
05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
if i won the lotto id drop it on a nice patch of dirt and live my days out as a gentleman farmer. straight up.
And id build my woman a house. id still live in mine but she could decorate hers anyway she wanted and wed just visit when we were lonely. ;)

I don't think my wife would go for that.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't think my wife would go for that.

i got the money. i make the rules.

Demonpenz
05-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Talk is Talk.... I would like to see what people REALLY think about things. My gut tells me people lie. ALOT. Why the fuck are there so many "DOESN'T THIS PISS YOU OFF" posts and threads. It's because people are afraid of losing something.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Talk is Talk.... I would like to see what people REALLY think about things. My gut tells me people lie. ALOT. Why the **** are there so many "DOESN'T THIS PISS YOU OFF" posts and threads. It's because people are afraid of losing something.

so people who say family is most important lie?

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Talk is Talk.... I would like to see what people REALLY think about things. My gut tells me people lie. ALOT. Why the **** are there so many "DOESN'T THIS PISS YOU OFF" posts and threads. It's because people are afraid of losing something.

When it comes to what people put first it is easy to see if they have kids. There is the oven to childcare group and then there are those that sacrifice a lot to raise their own child. Don't even talk to me about the "there are those who just can't afford to do that" crap. There are a boat load of those who could pull it off if they wanted. They work all the time and barley know their own child.

jjchieffan
05-20-2010, 11:08 AM
The project I am currently working on shows how much some people do care about material possessions. The company is Restoration Hardware. They carry high end furniture and stuff. They have, for example, a chrome navy light that is popular. They also have a coffee table that looks like a steamer trunk. Price for those items $1500 each. Really??? Are you kidding me? Everything in the store is priced that high. And the business is doing well in this economy. I don't get it. I have a sister that I could see shopping there. She is very material. She has all top of the line name brand stuff. Her jeans cost $150. I could buy 5 pair of jeans for that money. I like having nice things, but I won't pay an exorbitant price for them. My TV is a 46" Sony. The reason I have it ws because I got it and a PS3 in a special bundle for $940. That is my biggest "splurge" in at least 5 years.

Rain Man
05-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes, I care a lot about material things.

Can I live without them? Yeah, probably. But I've been poor and I like it a lot less than having money.

That said, my biggest discretionary spending is on travel, which is more of an experience than a material possession. Most of my clothing is from Nieman Marcus, but it's the Last Call store where you can buy really good stuff for a reasonable price. (Not Wal-Mart price, but pants for $30 and shirts for $30 or $40.) My car is 10 years old, but it's a nice BMW. I care about material stuff and want high quality and panache, but I don't have to have a new car and I don't have to buy the $200 shirts.

But yeah, I want to drive a nice car and have a nice house and wear nice clothes, and I'll find ways to do it.

RJ
05-20-2010, 11:14 AM
We have two paid for vehicles. Mine is 13 years old, my wife's is 6. We'll get a new one soon, but only because we don't want the both breaking down at once. Try to keep at least one with relatively low mileage.

I finally bought a new TV last December, a 42" LCD.

We prefer to spend money on our daughter's education, now and later. High school will be expensive. We also save as much as we can for the future. My biggest luxuries are fantasy sports and occasional golf. My wife likes pretty things for the yard and occasional visits to a pricey hair stylist.

Demonpenz
05-20-2010, 11:16 AM
so people who say family is most important lie?

it's hard for me to explain what I am talking about. If everyone who say they put family first, actually did put family first the world would be different. I wonder how many careers would be different. This is a tangent, but I wonder how many people with families choose being a police officer, firefighter, anything dangerous because it is truely "family first"
Whenever I read people bitching about "that bystander should have stepped into stop this fight" I cringe because I read later "Family first." well what happens if you get stabbed stopping a fight, you are putting someone ahead a stranger or gasp MAYBE A MUSLIM...ahead than your family. My point is I take it all as lip service until I walk with a man.

loochy
05-20-2010, 11:16 AM
I like nice new stuff, but that's because I like nice new stuff, not because I'm doing it to keep up with Douchey McNextdoor. I wear nicer clothes because I like nicer clothes, but I don't care about the name on the label and I hate tacky advertising on clothing, such as giant nike swooshes and so forth.

I like my nice new car because it has features that I use, it smells good, and if it breaks down I can take it to the dealer and get it fixed for free.

I can't stand things that are marked up because of a name on the label. That kills me and makes me angry.

LaChapelle
05-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Yes I care about possessions
but I don't get them just to impress
practical

jjchieffan
When it comes to what people put first it is easy to see if they have kids. There is the oven to childcare group and then there are those that sacrifice a lot to raise their own child. Don't even talk to me about the "there are those who just can't afford to do that" crap. There are a boat load of those who could pull it off if they wanted. They work all the time and barley know their own child.

I think I fit the description of what you are talking about. I have a 5 year old daughter, and my wife is a stay at home mom. She is able to stay at home because I sacrifice my home time and travel so that I make enough to support us without her working. And I still get plenty of home time, just not every night. Last year, I was away for work travelling about 6 months. I also had 6 months of home time between projects. So, while I wasn't there to tuck my daughter in each night. I still had plenty of time with her to go to the park, or go fishing, or whatever, that a lot of dads don't have time for. I figure it is a trade off. I found a way to "pull it off" as you put it, and I have a great relationship with my daughter. She is most definitely a daddy's girl.

Nzoner
Shit yeah I care about the shit that I've bought. My shoes, for example. Clothes, books, music, movies, games; I would be pissed if my house burned down because there'd be no way to save everything.

I've lost everything in a fire twice,the biggest material possesion was 787 albums and that one hurt like hell.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
it's hard for me to explain what I am talking about. If everyone who say they put family first, actually did put family first the world would be different. I wonder how many careers would be different. This is a tangent, but I wonder how many people with families choose being a police officer, firefighter, anything dangerous because it is truely "family first"
Whenever I read people bitching about "that bystander should have stepped into stop this fight" I cringe because I read later "Family first." well what happens if you get stabbed stopping a fight, you are putting someone ahead a stranger or gasp MAYBE A MUSLIM...ahead than your family. My point is I take it all as lip service until I walk with a man.

All i know is i got tired of going to maple park to have dinner w/ the family. So i went out and with my balls,my word, and my will, i created my own.

That said what is your interpretation of a family man?

Demonpenz
05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
I've lost everything in a fire twice,the biggest material possesion was 787 albums and that one hurt like hell.

I got the eliminator cd from record warehouse

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Whenever I read people bitching about "that bystander should have stepped into stop this fight" I cringe because I read later "Family first."

Depends on the circumstances. You have to set a good example of having principals and showing how to live. I think too many people don't want to get involved when they could easily make a difference. That being said you obviously have to use discretion. That make sense?

Nzoner
05-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't care as much as I used to,I've got 7 tv's in the gameroom and not a one is HD.I've actually got a couple of friends that constantly bitch about me not upgrading so I tell them to watch the game at their house.Does it look better,sure,I won't argue that but I for one don't need to see every blade of grass on the football field,as long as I can see the game(s) it's all good with me.

Demonpenz
Depends on the circumstances. You have to set a good example of having principals and showing how to live. I think too many people don't want to get involved when they could easily make a difference. That being said you obviously have to use discretion. That make sense?

yes sir Large Large leaps in what I was saying. I just get this vibe that people go on this Family first kick because that is the thing to say. Now I in typical Demonpenz style will go in a different direction. I have to take care of myself first, or I just end up bitter. This will change if there is ever a Demonpenz Jr. ahhhhh and there it is.......

LetsSignRussell
I just try to keep up with skip

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2010, 11:30 AM
yes sir Large Large leaps in what I was saying. I just get this vibe that people go on this Family first kick because that is the thing to say. Now I in typical Demonpenz style will go in a different direction. I have to take care of myself first, or I just end up bitter. This will change if there is ever a Demonpenz Jr. ahhhhh and there it is.......

changes everything :D At least it did for me.

Demonpenz
05-20-2010, 11:31 AM
changes everything :D At least it did for me.

I can see clearer now than I did 3 months ago....it's like a bird talking to hippo about flight.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 11:32 AM
I just try to keep up with skip

whos fuckin mult are you?

Dayze
05-20-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't really care.
But, guitars and motorcyles are the only things I usually spend money on. And even then, I'm not buying them for image, or status etc.

I love motorcycles; cruisers, twins, sportbikes, tourers etc....love getting the most out of them.

hell, i'm even considering going from a sportbike to a sport tourer; not exactly a huge image boost, but I don't care.

bevischief
05-20-2010, 11:34 AM
I like to buy other people's top of the line stuff used for a fraction of the price.

this

Fat Elvis
05-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Insurance.

Rausch
05-20-2010, 11:37 AM
What I've discovered is that things you own end up owning you.

http://drukq.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/tylerdurden1.jpg

Bwana
05-20-2010, 11:39 AM
About the only thing I buy the best of is an ATV. I have one nice one and another ok one, which is fine by me. I just have this thing about owning a bad ass ATV. Other than that, I like decent stuff, but it doesn't have to be top of the line. If it's good quality and it works, I'm fine with it.

LaChapelle
05-20-2010, 11:41 AM
If people didn't really care what others thought
they would fill there posts with bad gramar an spelling
to give Bump a conniption fit

Nzoner
05-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Insurance.

Sorry but insurance doesn't replace Super Bowl collectibles one got at the game,certain record albums and autographs,I know as I speak from experience on this one.

raybec 4
05-20-2010, 11:48 AM
If people didn't really care what others thought
they would fill there posts with bad gramar an spelling
to give Bump a conniption fit

mabe hes two bizze savin munny too notis

BWillie
05-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Over the years I have been here on CP I have seen a lot of people who seem to not care about having all the newest stuff. I have seen many who think driving a beater car is the best route to go, and not spend money unwisely. I am curious to see how many people really care about having brand name labels, expensive cars, and anything the falls in the genre of "Keeping up with the Jones". I like to have nice things, but really cant afford top notch stuff, but I really don't need that stuff to be happy. I am a pretty simple person for the most part, I appreciate, but don't need nice things. I don't have to rock J's to be feeling good, I will buy a cheap pair of Nike's. Would it hurt your ego if you had to buy clothes at Wal-Mart instead of Macy's, or if you had to roll in a 90 Civic instead of a 09 Civic? I see a lot of our customers struggling in this recession to keep their "appearance" up.

Your mom is my material possession.

vailpass
05-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Hell yes. I like my stuff.

Groves
05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I just bought a pickup load of reclaimed cinder blocks for $30. I don't know where in the spectrum that puts me. They're pretty nice blocks, so factor that in.

vailpass
05-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I just bought a pickup load of reclaimed cinder blocks for $30. I don't know where in the spectrum that puts me. They're pretty nice blocks, so factor that in.

:D

MOhillbilly
05-20-2010, 12:47 PM

worm bed? cold frame? hive stands?

DeezNutz
05-20-2010, 12:51 PM

And by "stove" you mean "microwave," right?

El Jefe
05-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Your mom is my material possession.

2005 called, it wants its joke back.

keg in kc
05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
And by "stove" you mean "microwave," right?No way. Hardly use the thing. I like real cooking, with burners and an oven.

Although I may have to add a 5th material possession: dish washer.

Which brings up a 6th/7th: washer/dryer for my clothes.

Param
05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I like a lot of really nice shit. They tend to last longer and do not need replacing after a year or so. I do not buy stuff just to buy stuff like some people do and replace items constantly. I like quality over quantity.

For example, for travel I have 2 different sizes of suitcases and backpack/suitcase in one. All are made by Victorinox. I can't understand why so many people travel with crappy suitcases. Also have a LV weekender bag. These items take a beating, but since they are quality items they last a long time and do not break or fall apart.

Param
05-20-2010, 01:13 PM

Never cared about keeping with the jones. I just like really nice stuff for myself.

Groves
05-20-2010, 01:16 PM
worm bed? cold frame? hive stands?

Well, according to my wonderfully sweet, yet without knowledge neighbor, it's called a meth lab. Both myself and the local "authorities" have verified that it's not, though.

All we do is make maple syrup in the spring and boil corn in the summer, I swear.

We'll use a few for hive stands, yes.

The rest will go toward keeping my piles of lumber off the ground. Gotta build something more permanent.

Look at me, desires to protect my material possessions. I guess I'm found out.

El Jefe
05-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Never cared about keeping with the jones. I just like really nice stuff for myself.

I can understand that, and I agree with you.

Fat Elvis
05-20-2010, 01:33 PM

:LOL:LMAO Says the man with LV luggage....

El Jefe
05-20-2010, 01:39 PM

That is kind of funny.

Param
05-20-2010, 01:42 PM

Thing has last what? 7 years now and counting? Still looks like the day I bought it. Bag should last at least another 20+ years.

King_Chief_Fan
05-20-2010, 01:55 PM

I am the jones'

Mr. Laz
05-20-2010, 01:57 PM
which material ... silk,satin,denim?

i like a good denim

Pitt Gorilla
05-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Family, garden, and my work are the things I enjoy. We drive our cars until they die and I repair things in our house until they can no longer be repaired. I buy new running shoes when my old ones fall apart.

I did get a Harmony 620 on clearance that makes me pretty happy, though. It controls the 46" Samsung, Sony Sound Bar (refurb), PS3, and DVR/cable box. We don't have nice things, but we have stuff that keeps us happy.

Pitt Gorilla
05-20-2010, 01:59 PM
I like a lot of really nice shit. They tend to last longer and do not need replacing after a year or so. I do not buy stuff just to buy stuff like some people do and replace items constantly. I like quality over quantity.

For example, for travel I have 2 different sizes of suitcases and backpack/suitcase in one. All are made by Victorinox. I can't understand why so many people travel with crappy suitcases. Also have a LV weekender bag. These items take a beating, but since they are quality items they last a long time and do not break or fall apart.We picked up a large Samsonite roller bag from our church garage sale. The thing was probably already 20 years old and we've used it for 8. Not bad for $5.

Stewie
05-20-2010, 02:09 PM
I grew up wanting for nothing. I was more interested in playing sports and working on the family farm during my summers because my cousins were/are a blast. That other stuff is for people with a different mindset than me. Big house? Fancy car? Meh! I could easily do that, but why?

El Jefe
05-20-2010, 02:24 PM
I grew up wanting for nothing. I was more interested in playing sports and working on the family farm during my summers because my cousins were/are a blast. That other stuff is for people with a different mindset than me. Big house? Fancy car? Meh! I could easily do that, but why?

I differ from you with this thought. I want the big house, fancy car, and be able to comfortably afford them. Who knows, I may get there someday, but I'm thankful for what I have, but am always looking to make things more comfortable for my family anyway I can. Contentment is a thing sought by many but obtained by few.

Fat Elvis
05-20-2010, 02:31 PM
[/B]

I differ from you with this thought. I want the big house, fancy car, and be able to comfortably afford them. Who knows, I may get there someday, but I'm thankful for what I have, but am always looking to make things more comfortable for my family anyway I can. Contentment is a thing sought by many but obtained by few.

If you think "things" will provide contentment, then you're going to be in for a huge disappointment....

vailpass
05-20-2010, 02:31 PM
If you think "things" will provide contentment, then you're going to be in for a huge disappointment....

Yep. Bloom where you are planted is all you need to be happy.

But having a pool and putting green and horseshoe pitch doesn't suck.

Demonpenz
05-20-2010, 02:33 PM
bloom...right under rainbow bridge

vailpass
05-20-2010, 02:33 PM
bloom...right under rainbow bridge

That one always makes me cry.

El Jefe
05-20-2010, 02:39 PM

No, I didn't mean that, I just meant that I want to earn those things, but chances of me ever being rich are slim to none. It all boils down to what your definition of "rich" is. If I can raise a family and give them the things that my father gave our family, in my eyes I will have a great life. I would definitely love to have enough money where I wasn't week to week, or worrying about bills.

Fish
05-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I have several friends that are really well off. Didn't need any college loans because of the parents. Everything in their houses are top notch quality products. Won't shop at Walmart. Won't drink beer from a can. Own 4 vehicles, and not a one gets over 15mpg. 110" HD projector. Newest everything. Whatever material want they have is satisfied.

And they're the most unhappy people I know.

It's just stuff.....

Stewie
05-20-2010, 04:18 PM
[/b]

I don't have a big house, but a comfortable house (I hate to clean so I have a maid service). I don't have a fancy car, but it serves its purpose. I'd much rather go through life not worrying about money, but do things I want to do on a whim. Doing stuff is much more interesting than having stuff.

Buehler445
05-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Hell goddamn yes I care about material posessions. But not in the manner described by the OP.

I've never gone without, but I've had some pretty god aweful shit in my day and damn it, life is a lot easier if you have nice things. I've driven cars that don't run, lived in shitbox houses that constantly need repair, worked with junk ass tools and equipment, fought with broke down computers and candidly, it sucks ass.

I like nice things because they make life easier. That being said, I don't have a lot of nice things. I bought a decent house. I own 2 reliable, but not fancy cars, I have a good computer and a blackberry. I have a few decent tools and an occasional nice amenity for the house.

The deal is that I am conservative and it is taking me awhile to amass the things I want. I have a pile of shit couch. Seriously, it was built in 1964. I have a 32" CRT TV. I have a $60 desk I bought in high school. My bedroom set was walmart. My other bedroom set, wife picked up at auction for $85.

It really helps having a reasonable wife. We didn't register for china or silver because, well, who the fuck cares and what we have is fine. She does a really nice job controlling costs.

And I take care of what I have. It's in my blood. If I own it, I want to be proud of it.

Bottom line is concerning material posessions, fiscal responsibility is paramount. After that, spend money on things that make life easier. Who gives a shit about the Joneses. Live your own life.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv
05-21-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't have a big house, but a comfortable house (I hate to clean so I have a maid service). I don't have a fancy car, but it serves its purpose. I'd much rather go through life not worrying about money, but do things I want to do on a whim. Doing stuff is much more interesting than having stuff.

This. This. This.

When I have extra money, that's typically when I travel, go watch a movie, or actually go shopping for other people. When I'm buying stuff for myself, I'm constantly debating on whether I need an item, and I usually end up putting it back.

My place is nice and tidy. I love to decorate, but I don't need the high end stuff to do so. I do have a nice car, but I got it used, I could afford the payments, and it's a good car that will last me a while.

Only two sets of items really mean a lot to me. My grandmother's bell collection for sentimental reasons. Also, my shot glass collection, as they represent places I've been, places my friends have been, etc.

beach tribe
05-22-2010, 05:00 AM

THIS. Almost everything in my house is from craigslist, and I've got some nice shit. I broke down, and built, an HTPC, but other that everything I have is used.
I bought a 51" HDTV for 400 bucks three yrs ago, and it still works perfectly.