PDA

View Full Version : Life Students, Teachers, Grad Students....

Mr. Kotter
05-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Okay, it's 'official'? :shrug:

:toast:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mm1riAYeaTo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mm1riAYeaTo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-22-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm off until June 8, when I teach two comp classes for the summer session.

NewChief
05-22-2010, 09:35 PM
We don't get off until June 7th due to a crazy amount of snow days. It's going to be a painful two weeks and a day.

Mr. Kotter
05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm off until June 8, when I teach two comp classes for the summer session.

I'm "off" until....Monday....Driver's Ed; and summer school the following week, but "on-line" so it's at my pleasure. Work, but without the structure....I'm good.

Enjoy your two weeks, Hamas! :toast:

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks, buddy.

Mr. Kotter
05-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks, buddy.

"You betcha!" :toast:

Mr. Kotter
05-22-2010, 09:42 PM
We don't get off until June 7th due to a crazy amount of snow days. It's going to be a painful two weeks and a day.
Snow, in ARKANSAS??? :spock:

Well, you get to enjoy more of August than I do; but I'm good. :thumb:

RedNFeisty
05-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Hahaha, my summer started last week and I'm get my summer off!!!! :D

cdcox
05-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Semester officially finished last Thursday. But I have a ton to do this summer. I took Friday off, but will probably work all this week.

RealSNR
05-22-2010, 10:10 PM
It actually is official for me. Submitted my students' grades earlier this week. My contract is up at the university, and I've decided not to return for reasons related to the stench that comes from that fetid pile of compost. I've left in good standing at least. I'll be taking the year off doing something (no idea what yet) and hopefully I can find a job for the 2011-2012 school year.

RedNFeisty
05-22-2010, 10:13 PM
It actually is official for me. Submitted my students' grades earlier this week. My contract is up at the university, and I've decided not to return for reasons related to the stench that comes from that fetid pile of compost. I've left in good standing at least. I'll be taking the year off doing something (no idea what yet) and hopefully I can find a job for the 2011-2012 school year.

It's great you are able to take the year off, hope you find what you are looking for and good luck with 2011-2012!

RealSNR
05-22-2010, 10:27 PM
It's great you are able to take the year off, hope you find what you are looking for and good luck with 2011-2012!Thanks. The wife is still working and we've got some money saved up. I'm probably going to work on a book (which will take me longer than the year). There's always private lessons (I'm a music teacher) which I'd be fine with for awhile. Either way, it's better than being miserable at my previous job.

Mr. Kotter
05-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Semester officially finished last Thursday. But I have a ton to do this summer. I took Friday off, but will probably work all this week.

That's my story as well...but I'm feeling pretty excited about the "change of pace" at this point--considering extra summer income for me means "fun" stuff/off-budget. Too bad the feds don't do it that way, eh? Heh.

:p

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pnuijDieOvY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pnuijDieOvY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Congrats, Red. Enjoy. :toast:

cdcox
05-22-2010, 10:41 PM
SNR, bad politics?

Mr. Kotter
05-22-2010, 10:44 PM

Best wishes, SNR. Education is more "political" than many realize. Hope you find a better path. :toast:

RealSNR
05-22-2010, 11:07 PM
SNR, bad politics?Pretty much. College music departments are notorious for bad politics amongst faculty members, but this one especially so. I think it's because 50% of professional musicians are arrogant divas who each one individually thinks they own the world.

The department head was this way. He wasn't interested in making a better department, and he didn't give a shit about students who weren't his. And he especially didn't give a shit about teachers like me who taught the required classes (music theory and history) for music majors to graduate. This year it got so bad that I actually re-scheduled my private lessons on one or two occasions because I became so infuriated in the department meetings immediately preceding, and I didn't want to accidently take my anger out on the student who did nothing wrong.

Hammock Parties
05-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Time to pound hot 18-year old graduate box. Horny teenagers are out for the summer, bored, and looking for cock.

RealSNR
05-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Best wishes, SNR. Education is more "political" than many realize. Hope you find a better path. :toast:Boy, did I learn that one the hard way.

I've talked to some of my advisors from grad school and they all think I'm making the right decision. They said most academia jobs out there aren't nearly as poisonous an environment as the one I had. I can handle politics, I can handle bullshit, but I couldn't handle heaping piles of both.

Either way, thanks for the warm wishes.

cdcox
05-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Pretty much. College music departments are notorious for bad politics amongst faculty members, but this one especially so. I think it's because 50% of professional musicians are arrogant divas who each one individually thinks they own the world.

The department head was this way. He wasn't interested in making a better department, and he didn't give a shit about students who weren't his. And he especially didn't give a shit about teachers like me who taught the required classes (music theory and history) for music majors to graduate. This year it got so bad that I actually re-scheduled my private lessons on one or two occasions because I became so infuriated in the department meetings immediately preceding, and I didn't want to accidently take my anger out on the student who did nothing wrong.

Wow, that sucks. I've been lucky to be in a department that realizes that students and education are essential to everything we do. Things have definitely changed from when I started (more emphasis on research and PhD students) but there is still recognition that we can't abandon core teaching missions. I've managed to stick around long enough that I should be able to have enough influence to keep it that way for the rest of my career.

cdcox
05-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Boy, did I learn that one the hard way.

I've talked to some of my advisors from grad school and they all think I'm making the right decision. They said most academia jobs out there aren't nearly as poisonous an environment as the one I had. I can handle politics, I can handle bullshit, but I couldn't handle heaping piles of both.

Either way, thanks for the warm wishes.

Were you tenure-track or adjunct?

RedNFeisty
05-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks. The wife is still working and we've got some money saved up. I'm probably going to work on a book (which will take me longer than the year). There's always private lessons (I'm a music teacher) which I'd be fine with for awhile. Either way, it's better than being miserable at my previous job.

Misery is something to avoid. Good luck with the book!

Thank you, Mr. Kotter!

RealSNR
05-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Were you tenure-track or adjunct?Adjunct. They were willing to put me on a tenure track with a new contract this year, but I chose to opt out.

RealSNR
05-22-2010, 11:25 PM
BTW, apologies for hijacking this thread. I probably could have started my own thread, but I'm not big into that.

More students? I know there are several out there. Raise your hands.

cdcox
05-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Adjunct. They were willing to put me on a tenure track with a new contract this year, but I chose to opt out.

Given how hard tenure track positions are to land, that's balls. But the right move. You want to get your career started at a place that is going to let you develop your career, and if you are constantly at odds with the philosophy of the department, that's impossible.

Students probably won't show up on a Saturday night. Heh.

Mr. Kotter
05-22-2010, 11:39 PM
BTW, apologies for hijacking this thread. I probably could have started my own thread, but I'm not big into that.

More students? I know there are several out there. Raise your hands.

No worries. Best wishes, SNR.

From afar, I'd say you are doin' the right thing too. It's why I'm doin' summer school and Driver's Ed, as opposed to workin' for the man/woman and carrying their water for them-- otherwise known as working as "administrator" in our district. Heh. Hang in there, bud. :thumb:

RealSNR
05-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Given how hard tenure track positions are to land, that's balls. But the right move. You want to get your career started at a place that is going to let you develop your career, and if you are constantly at odds with the philosophy of the department, that's impossible.

Students probably won't show up on a Saturday night. Heh.Yeah, it was certainly tough to do. But like I said, even if I never work in academia again, I've got a pretty good alternative situation. At least this way I'm happy (for now).

Mr. Kotter
05-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah, it was certainly tough to do. But like I said, even if I never work in academia again, I've got a pretty good alternative situation. At least this way I'm happy (for now).

We had a good music gal involuntarily "transferred" this year due to "parental concerns" to which she was not given complete info about....as a formerly "athletic" and former-coach-"jock"-type I found pretty disturbing...

Parents calling the shots without any recourse or ability to answer? What a crock of shit...

:shake:

Dave Lane
05-23-2010, 09:06 AM

Did you say you are getting off this summer?

EWOK
05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Just finished a make up final today!!!!!! next semester starts in August as a student but as a teacher I will be back at it in June.

Gracie Dean
05-23-2010, 01:42 PM
We are done Thursday

Gracie Dean
05-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Due to my failing health, I will not be teaching Summer School this year. I have taught GVT almost every summer since 2001 and it ROCKS.

17 days 3 hours in the morning for one sesson 3 hours in the afternoon for a different session...

The kids WANT to be there, they are either fast-track early grads or Sr.s who need the credit because they screwed up somewhere. NO discipline and if they miss one day and don't attend the make up session...GONE...and we keep their 150 bucks...(well the school does)

All in all it is not a bad 3 grand for 17 days of work.

But...I had to turn it down this summer...

I really REALLY NEED the money, but I have to get healthy so that next year I am stronger.

mlyonsd
05-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Now go out and get a fricking job and start paying taxes like the rest of us.

Gracie Dean
05-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Now go out and get a fricking job and start paying taxes like the rest of us.

thread killah

dtrain
05-23-2010, 06:32 PM
My last day is June 4 then its all about basketball until August 15.

HoneyBadger
05-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I graduated with my BA. So I think I'm done forever!! Or at least for a few years!

Mr. Kotter
05-23-2010, 10:40 PM
I graduated with my BA. So I think I'm done forever!! Or at least for a few years!

Till you decide you need the MA to really get where you want to go, eh? :thumb:

HoneyBadger
05-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Till you decide you need the MA to really get where you want to go, eh? :thumb:

Exactly. But for now a BA will suffice.

DaKCMan AP
05-24-2010, 06:48 AM
My program is year-round, no breaks. We completed Term 1 on Saturday and Term 2 began Sunday.

The Bad Guy
05-24-2010, 07:44 AM
3 weeks today I am done for the summer.

Gracie Dean
05-24-2010, 02:34 PM
3 more days. One with students (my 8th graders are done Tuesday) and Wed only Sixlets and 7th graders should be in the building so I will get 2 days to break down my room

88TG88
05-24-2010, 02:40 PM
w00t