PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Message to Derrick Johnson: Do your job.

soundmind
05-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Derrick Johnson is Eager for the Games to Begin This Fall
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Article: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/22/1964342/derrick-johnson-is-eager-for-the.html#ixzz0oj2kiGZE

Linebacker Derrick Johnson had to believe his last game would count for something. The Chiefs had been looking for a defender to make some big plays and finally, in last season’s final game, Johnson delivered.

He intercepted two passes and returned them both for touchdowns in the Chiefs’ lopsided win over Denver, a victory they hope gives them some momentum heading into a new season.

The game figured to be good for a promotion to the starting lineup, even if such jobs are not secure in May, with the Chiefs only beginning their offseason practice sessions.

But there was Johnson last week, serving the same role he played in the most frustrating of his five NFL seasons. He was again a backup at one inside linebacker position to Demorrio Williams and Corey Mays, and playing when the Chiefs went to their nickel defense.

Johnson isn’t panicking yet, not with almost four months left until the regular season begins.

“Right now, nobody has a starting job,” Johnson said. “The (coaches are) more focused on (players) learning the defense. We’ve got a new coordinator. So it’s not a set team. That depth-chart stuff, that doesn’t come into play until training camp. It’s not a priority for the coaches right now. When we get to training camp, that’s a little different. That’s when we really separate the men from the boys.

“If we get to training camp and I’m working my butt off and staying healthy and I’m still not out there with the first team, then we can look at a problem. Right now, it’s not a problem at all.”

It’s true the Chiefs can move Johnson into the starting lineup at any time, but the opening of offseason practice seemed like a good time for them to make the move. Williams was far and away the Chiefs leading tackler and Mays was second, but neither gave a floundering defense a lift with big plays the way Johnson did.

Mays had started only one game in his first three NFL seasons. The Chiefs had a special-teams role in mind for Mays when they signed him last year, but he wound up starting when the Chiefs released Zach Thomas. Williams was bothered by a knee injury that he said wouldn’t allow him to be as effective as he hoped.

“It was a frustrating year because I got hurt before the season,” Williams said. “I did everything I could to be out there with my teammates and try to make the plays that I could. This year I plan on staying healthy and doing a lot more to contribute to the team.”

Coach Todd Haley found Johnson’s play as maddeningly inconsistent as the previous staff did, but he acted on it by using Johnson mainly on passing downs. Johnson has yet to complain publicly.

“I could have been a (distraction) and caused a lot of trouble but I’m not that kind of guy,” he said.

“I want to be a big part of the defense. I want to help us win. I’ve got one more year to do what I’ve got to do. I want to get on the field. That’s my main focus. I need to get on the field. I still believe in my ability.”

Johnson, who began the offseason as a restricted free agent, signed his one-year contract offer. His comments seem to indicate he is intent on leaving as an unrestricted free agent next year.

Until then, Johnson seems intent on making what could be his last season with the Chiefs his best.

“I’ve always been a guy that you can game-plan around to help the defense do different stuff,” he said. “My standards for being a big part of the defense have not changed. The older I get, the more I want to play. I’m not looking for what happened last year to happen again.

“(The coaches) see me working. They see me being the first guy running through the drills, beating everybody. I think they know what they have in me. I can’t wait until we put the pads on. I’ve got so much built up inside me. As long as I stay healthy, I’ll be good. If I’m healthy, I can do a lot of great things.”

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Whatever 5-6. I've seen your games. I watched them like the rest of this crowd. You have your own brand of "true fan" but I for one have you on about the same hold pattern as Alex Gordon. Shut your mouth, earn your playing time by taking f***ing heads. It's the entitlement crap again, what the hell is wrong with your head son???

I know I'm highlighting things, but read them in context and see if it makes you feel any better. Strong man, slippery slope DJ, don't turd the punchbowl, don't do it.

KurtCobain
05-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Every year is his year to turn things up. Fuck damnit, c'mon!

oaklandhater
05-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Every year is his year to turn things up. **** damnit, c'mon!

he is the Ryan Sims of linebackers.

beer bacon
05-22-2010, 11:43 PM
DJ has the talent to make plays even if isn't playing within the team's scheme. Sims never showed a damn thing.

beer bacon
05-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I think Texas gets a ton of great athletes, and then they just turn them loose. They don't always coach them up. It screws them over once they to the NFL.

Bump
05-22-2010, 11:46 PM
I think Texas gets a ton of great athletes, and then they just turn them loose. They don't always coach them up. It screws them over once they get to the NFL.

FYP

KurtCobain
05-22-2010, 11:57 PM
FYP

U disabld ur rep u scarred lil gurl;

Mr. Arrowhead
05-23-2010, 12:05 AM
dont know why, but i have a feeling DJ is gonna have monster year

Bugeater
05-23-2010, 12:07 AM
dont know why, but i have a feeling DJ is gonna have monster year
Maybe since it's the year he'll be playing for a free agent contract?

wazu
05-23-2010, 12:10 AM
he is the Ryan Sims of linebackers.

If Ryan Sims had ever managed to produce big plays.

googlegoogle
05-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Thought he turned the corner?

Micjones
05-23-2010, 03:01 AM
There is no comparison that can be made between DJ and Ryan Sims.
Johnson hasn't played to his draft position, but he's played good football in the NFL and been productive.

oaklandhater
05-23-2010, 06:13 AM
There is no comparison that can be made between DJ and Ryan Sims.
Johnson hasn't played to his draft position, but he's played good football in the NFL and been productive.

the comparison I was trying to make is that Dj and ryan sims both underperformed one more so then the other, that and we also get a article every so often that says this is going to that said player break out year.

Reerun_KC
05-23-2010, 06:22 AM
FYP

Post Fail......

Ugly Duck
05-23-2010, 07:02 AM
...he is intent on leaving as an unrestricted free agent next year.... Johnson seems intent on making what could be his last season with the Chiefs his best.

See article Cliff Notes above by Bugeater.

Sounds like Young NFL Player Millionaire disease.

boogblaster
05-23-2010, 07:10 AM
DJ has played semi-solid football his whole carrer .. but it's like some games he's lost .. I don't know if it's the scheme that week or if he's stupid .....

Baby Lee
05-23-2010, 07:18 AM
I fixed the grammatical error in your latest entry on the bulletin board.
FYP

TheGuardian
05-23-2010, 08:22 AM
DJ has played semi-solid football his whole carrer .. but it's like some games he's lost .. I don't know if it's the scheme that week or if he's stupid .....

Why do fans say this?

Great players can produce on any defensive scheme. Johnson isn't, and never has been, a great player. I laughed at the bitches who said last year that this coaching staff was stupid because they had their "best linebacker" sitting on the bench. He's got million dollar ability and a 10 cent head. The guy just isn't football smart. I hope he does put it together but I don't expect it. After this many years if he doesn't "get it" he just doesn't get it. He's never going to be what he was hyped coming out of college. One of those cases where all of the negatives about a guy coming out were spot on. Runs around blocks, isn't a great tackler, free lances too much, etc.

soundmind
05-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Why do fans say this?

Great players can produce on any defensive scheme. Johnson isn't, and never has been, a great player. I laughed at the bitches who said last year that this coaching staff was stupid because they had their "best linebacker" sitting on the bench. He's got million dollar ability and a 10 cent head. The guy just isn't football smart. I hope he does put it together but I don't expect it. After this many years if he doesn't "get it" he just doesn't get it. He's never going to be what he was hyped coming out of college. One of those cases where all of the negatives about a guy coming out were spot on. Runs around blocks, isn't a great tackler, free lances too much, etc.

Thank you, that's the only reason I saw it necessary to add my own commentary after Teicher's read. It's as though 56 thinks he's faster than he is...and that's not to knock his physical abilities, if anything it's a mark against his mental ability. The guy has the speed necessary, has better hands than probably 80% of LBs in the league....he's not without talents.

The "runs around blocks" thing irritates me to no end when I watch 56 play, he needs to find whatever it is that flips that violence switch for him, and now. He needs to be running through those blockers and find a nose for the damn ball. This is the last dance really and if he wants to take the prom queen home he'd better show the f*** up, and throw the f*** down. I'm tired of waiting.

soundmind
05-23-2010, 10:28 AM

If we could pay him to only line up against Denver, he'd have been the best investment this team had the last couple years. Unfortunately, we have to play 14 other games.

RedThat
05-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Every year is his year to turn things up. **** damnit, c'mon!

Ditto eh.

Im used to hearing this is the year, this is the year for him, and then sure enough it aint. It's like a repetitive theme going on with him. Kinda gets tiring after a while.

RedThat
05-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Why do fans say this?

Right.

You've pretty much nailed it down to, "he is who he is."

*However, I think he must start for the reason that he is better than either Mays and Williams. Those guys have zero playmaking ability and no instincts. At least DJ can chip in with the odd play every once in a while which is better than nothing. jmo

notorious
05-23-2010, 11:59 AM
He has the talent to be the best linebacker in the NFL.

Go out and fuck shit up Derrick!

LiL stumppy
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
People are so dumb, he didnt complain all year and people post this crap all year? ok...he's one of the better linebackers on the team

mlyonsd
05-23-2010, 03:41 PM
I watched DJ enough in college to be thrilled when we drafted him. I thought he had a chance to make an impact on the team as much as Tony Gonzalez did.

He definitely hasn't dominated like I thought he would. But I can't think of another Chief on defense doing it either, with the exception of Allen.

I'm hoping a new defensive coach will bring out his potential. I haven't given up on him yet.

One thing I'd bet on, if we let him go he'll end up on a playoff team.

milkman
05-23-2010, 03:42 PM
People are so dumb, he didnt complain all year and people post this crap all year? ok...he's one of the better linebackers on the team

:facepalm:

milkman
05-23-2010, 03:43 PM
One thing I'd bet on, if we let him go he'll end up on a playoff team.

You mean like Tony did last year?

mlyonsd
05-23-2010, 03:50 PM

I said I'd bet.....not guarantee.;)

Bane
05-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Buwaaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaa!ROFL

Blick
05-24-2010, 08:00 AM
I re-watched the game against the Steelers recently. DJ had a good game. He was blowing up RB's when he blitzed. He also fought off a block in textbook fashion to make an unspectacular, but very stellar 2 yard stop on an off-tackle play where he took on the block with his inside shoulder and arm, held his ground, and made the tackle with his outside arm. He also made a few other tackles where he didn't run around blocks.

Even with his 10 cent head, he still makes more plays than all of our other inside LB's combined.

rambleonthruthefog
05-24-2010, 09:15 AM
DJ learned a valuable lesson last season. i hope. DJ has gotten by on his natural ability his whole life. he came to a bad football team where he was immediatly one of the best defenders on the team. he had an inflated sense of self. His success in college, and the coaching staff here in KC are the main culprits. enter todd haley and the real world coaching program. lesson learned: you will not start because your name is DJ. you will not start because you've been starting the past several seasons. you will not get the benefit of the doubt because of your ability and college resume. you will not start until your consistant. haley is riding his ass and trying to make him angry. he wants him to be nasty. he is trying to hit the switch on DJ, trying to push the right button. we all know he has the physical ability, haley is trying to find out if he has the mental ability by breaking him down military style. break em down, break em down harder, then break em down some more. if he doesn't get it this season with haley riding his ass and crennel coaching him up he will never get it. i for one will say this again for the last time.

DJ will be a starter, our best LB, and will have his best season as a pro.

38yrsfan
05-24-2010, 12:35 PM

It is all part of the Chief's role as an NFL farm team.

Clark probably does the cooking and bartending at the owners meetings.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
DJ has the talent to make plays even if isn't playing within the team's scheme. Sims never showed a damn thing.yep, but he also has the lack of focus and discipline to leave his assignment which results in giving up huge plays ... especially in the running game.

gets the big play and gives up the big play

that's why they pulled him from the starting lineup and put him in there on passing downs because it still gives DJ the chance to make the big play but keeps him from screwing up our run defense.

Blick
05-24-2010, 02:53 PM
yep, but he also has the lack of focus and discipline to leave his assignment which results in giving up huge plays ... especially in the running game.

gets the big play and gives up the big play

that's why they pulled him from the starting lineup and put him in there on passing downs because it still gives DJ the chance to make the big play but keeps him from screwing up our run defense.

Yeah we wouldn't want DJ in there screwing up the run defense. Mays and Williams are monsters against the run.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Anomaly man,
Anomaly man,

ModSocks
05-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah we wouldn't want DJ in there screwing up the run defense. Mays and Williams are monsters against the run.

Hey, Mays and Williams may get blown up, but at least they get their bodies in the hole. DJ can't even find the hole to get blown up.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2010, 03:51 PM
they are more consistent than DJ

you think the coaching staff pulled DJ because they just wanted to mess with him? They were willing to go with less talent because DJ was such an issue.

it's not just this coaching staff and scheme either ... DJ has been a mental case since day 1.

Blick
05-24-2010, 03:59 PM
they are more consistent than DJ

you think the coaching staff pulled DJ because they just wanted to mess with him? They were willing to go with less talent because DJ was such an issue.

it's not just this coaching staff and scheme either ... DJ has been a mental case since day 1.

Consistent at getting their shit pushed in, sure.

I don't understand the coaching decision, and let's not pretend like everything our coaching staff does is awesome.

I understand DJ's limitations, but at least he makes plays. Williams and Mays don't do ANYTHING.

ModSocks
05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Consistent at getting their shit pushed in, sure.

I don't understand the coaching decision, and let's not pretend like everything our coaching staff does is awesome.

I understand DJ's limitations, but at least he makes plays. Williams and Mays don't do ANYTHING.

I think you're missing the point. They may get pounded, but at least they get into position to slow the runner down. DJ just isn't there at all at times and leaves running lanes wide open. He may make a big play every blue moon, but allows a big play more often than not.

Blick
05-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey, Mays and Williams may get blown up, but at least they get their bodies in the hole. DJ can't even find the hole to get blown up.

Mays sucks at staying home and playing the cut back lane. He overruns plays all the time.

ModSocks
05-24-2010, 04:05 PM
And DJ has been doing it for YEARS. Might as well give Mays, who was considered to be a good commander on the field, a crack at it.

Blick
05-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Mays is a special teams player. He got a crack last year, and he was fucking awful.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Mays is a special teams player. He got a crack last year, and he was ****ing awful.
and DJ was a dumbshit, pain-in-the-ass until they made him a glorified Strong Safety.

we need to drafted a quality ILB in the 2nd round of the draft this year instead of the smurf patrol.

Blick
05-24-2010, 04:28 PM
We need to just play the guy that actually makes plays for our defense.

BossChief
05-24-2010, 06:13 PM
30 tackles (combined assisted tackles and solo)
2 sacks
9 qb pressures
6 missed tackles
3 interceptions (2 for touchdowns)
1 forced fumble

...and the opposing quarterbacks passing rating against his zone was a measly 65.8% !

If you take that and give him 1116 snaps (like Patrick Willis had last year) and do the math, DJ would have had (x3.24 snaps...all of these are rounded either up or down))=

97 tackles
6.5 sacks
29 pressures
19 missed tackles
10 interceptions
3 forced fumbles
7 touchdowns

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-27-2010, 10:04 AM
and DJ was a dumbshit, pain-in-the-ass until they made him a glorified Strong Safety.

And there it was/thread.