PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Airline policy question

05-25-2010, 04:49 AM
What is the policy for electronics on flights and the checkin routine for them. Laptops specifically?

also, I have a small box speaker I plan to take with me for listening to one of my ipod sleep apps. CAn I pack that in my checked luggage or does that need to be in the carry on as well?

Johnny Vegas
05-25-2010, 05:29 AM
laptops are fine as well as the speaker box. you can bring a laptop and a carry on bag. They just require you to put the laptop in a separate bin with nothing else in it to go through the x ray. I bring my laptop every time I fly.

HonestChieffan
05-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Over riding policy is that all efforts are made by the airlines to make your trip uncomfortable after they spend an hour finding ways to make you mad. The goal is no happy customers so that expectations are lowered.

Laptops ....be prepared to take it out of briefcase and in some places they make you boot it up.

Saulbadguy
05-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Laptops ....be prepared to take it out of briefcase and in some places they make you boot it up.

Not Kansas City, thankfully.

Donger
05-25-2010, 08:05 AM
What is the policy for electronics on flights and the checkin routine for them. Laptops specifically?

also, I have a small box speaker I plan to take with me for listening to one of my ipod sleep apps. CAn I pack that in my checked luggage or does that need to be in the carry on as well?

As others have said, just make sure that you remove the laptop and put it in a bin at security. The speaker won't be an issue (either checked or carry-on).

Make sure you put all your fluids (not bodily) in a quart-sized Ziploc. Containers must be 3 oz. or less.

loochy
05-25-2010, 08:13 AM

I travel all over for work and it's always pretty easy...just remember that in the security line you have to take it out of the bag and put it in its own little plastic tray/bin for the metal detector.

You can use it while on the plane (after the OK for electronics, of course) with no problem. A lot of planes nowdays even have wireless internet on them...but it's kind of expensive unless you can charge it to work.

The speaker should be fine as well as long as you don't try to use it to listen to stuff on the plane.

It's always a good idea to take things like laptops or expensive electronics in your carry on. If they inspect your bag they destroy any careful packing you've done and they don't put it back the way its supposed to go. Also, I've had lots of things broken in my checked luggage. The next time you are sitting on the tarmac, look out the window at the baggage handlers and see how rough they treat the luggage. Don't put anything fragile in there.

chasedude
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Just hope you're not flying United taking your Taylor guitar along with you!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5YGc4zOqozo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5YGc4zOqozo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

kepp
05-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Not Kansas City, thankfully.

I had to once in KC...flying for business. I think they did that because I had forgotten to take it out of the case before going through the line.

Demonpenz
05-25-2010, 11:07 AM
luckily if you don't log in as demonpenz you it goes into auto rick roll mode

Rain Man
05-25-2010, 11:41 AM
As others said, it shouldn't be a problem at all in your carry-on. However, do not insert any electrical devices into bodily orifices as that will likely cause you a security delay.

Donger
05-25-2010, 11:43 AM
That's odd. I've never been asked to boot up my laptop.

05-25-2010, 11:52 AM
As others said, it shouldn't be a problem at all in your carry-on. However, do not insert any electrical devices into bodily orifices as that will likely cause you a security delay.

Women, be aware.ROFL

HonestChieffan
05-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Used to be required in a number of smaller airports in the northwest. Bozeman, Spokane, Portland for three I recall and its a pain. Every one had to boot all the way up like the dipwad checking had a clue.

Rain Man
05-25-2010, 12:14 PM

I had to a couple of times, but that was a long time ago. 2002 or 2003.

Donger
05-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Used to be required in a number of smaller airports in the northwest. Bozeman, Spokane, Portland for three I recall and its a pain. Every one had to boot all the way up like the dipwad checking had a clue.

I go to all of those a lot, and it's never happened to me. Although a do remember long before 9/11 at MCI having to turn on my old two-way pager.

TrebMaxx
05-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I had to boot mine up a few times at Spokane, but never anywhere else.

modocsot
05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
You should pack them both in your carry-on. Laptop goes thru the xray in it's own bin. They might physically inspect the ipod dock after going thru xray.

05-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I know the laptop will go though in its own bin. Will the speaker have to as well or can I just leave that in the carry on?

vailpass
05-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Go to the website of your carrier and see what their specific requirements are right around the date or your departure. They change from time to time.

Donger
05-25-2010, 01:21 PM
I know the laptop will go though in its own bin. Will the speaker have to as well or can I just leave that in the carry on?

Leave it in your carry-on. I travel with equipment that can raise eyebrows a lot more than a speaker does, and only rarely do they pull my bag.

05-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Go to the website of your carrier and see what their specific requirements are right around the date or your departure. They change from time to time.

Yeah, I had checked that. The only thing that was specifically stated to be removed was the laptop or any large electronics. Don't know if this thing qualifies as large or not really.

I'll just leave it in and hope for the best.