PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb rips Chiefs for protecting Bowe

Hammock Parties
05-25-2010, 07:14 AM
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1321

Protection of Bowe doesn't mesh with Chiefs' emphasis on accountability

Dwayne Bowe wasn't made available to reporters after Monday's offseason practice, and the fourth-year wide receiver had left the locker room by the time media were allowed inside.

As has been the case after past infractions by Bowe and others, Bowe avoided discussion of his latest brush with negative attention. It's unfair that players such as Jamaal Charles and Chris Chambers were left to speculate on Bowe's words -- and the attention those words have generated -- while the player who said them is elsewhere. It just doesn't jibe with the team's new emphasis on accountability and character, and it could send the message that if a player makes a mistake, others will bail him out.

Bowe told ESPN the Magazine about the practice of "importing," in which attractive women were flown in by Chiefs veterans during a 2007 road trip to San Diego. The women know all about players, Bowe was quoted as saying.

“This one girl was talking to me like she'd known me for years," Bowe told the magazine.

Regardless of where you stand on whether Bowe's words or the practice he described, the Chiefs are sending a bad message by allowing Bowe to escape the locker room and having his teammates answer for him.

"I’m not really comfortable talking about it," Chambers told me Monday. But when Bowe remains in hiding, it's his teammates who will be approached.

If the Chiefs are serious about being accountable, what could be a more effective response than having a player stand in front of his locker and publicly face the repercussions of his words or actions? Not only would it send a strong message, it also would immediate defuse the situation, instead of having it percolate until Bowe is finally ready to answer questions. When Bowe decides to speak, whether it's three days or six months from now, the subject will come up. Avoiding the topic now only makes it more tantalizing as time passes.

It's possible that the team did force Bowe to discuss the matter with his teammates, but the matter will remain a source of public discussion until Bowe, and Bowe alone, puts the subject to rest. The Chiefs are trying to take an early stand and teach their young players that character counts. Allowing a veteran player to hide while his teammates face reporters in his absence, is in direct conflict with that message.

KCUnited
05-25-2010, 07:25 AM
The last thing the Chiefs want is Bowe standing in front of his locker surrounded by media attempting to explain his comments.

raybec 4
05-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Bowe should be accountable to his teammates for this, not the fans and certainly not a bunch of douche bags who happened to get a press cred so now they think they're fuckin Woodward and Bernstein.

Chiefnj2
05-25-2010, 07:43 AM
The last thing the Chiefs want is Bowe standing in front of his locker surrounded by media attempting to explain his comments.

He's going to have to do it at some point. Plus, it's unfair to the other 83 guys in camp to even be bothered with questions about it. Have Bowe say "no comment" a few dozen times and move on.

Quesadilla Joe
05-25-2010, 07:43 AM
REPOST

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228623

HemiEd
05-25-2010, 09:31 AM
He's going to have to do it at some point. Plus, it's unfair to the other 83 guys in camp to even be bothered with questions about it. Have Bowe say "no comment" a few dozen times and move on.

Agreed, but do you think Bowe can go that route, that many times, consecutively?

Hydrae
05-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Is it that big of a story that this is what they ask other players about? Why not ask Charles about things that pertain to him and his position, not asking him to speculate about what a teammate said?

kcxiv
05-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Dont have to do it ever. Just say no comment. He has a choice if people want to beleive it or not.

MahiMike
05-25-2010, 11:14 AM
These poor guys would get in trouble for not using the recycle bin. Let it go already.

ModSocks
05-25-2010, 11:50 AM
These poor guys would get in trouble for not using the recycle bin. Let it go already.

This. It's getting fucking overblown now. Let Bowe deal with his past and present teammates; he has enough shit there to explain.

38yrsfan
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM

ROFL

If this might possibly be true it should be looked into.

Just imagine if impressionable minds were irrevocably influenced by such exteme behavior .....

okiedokieokoye
05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I would hate to be a reporter. They seem so desperate. "Come on Bowe....help me with my story...PLEEEEEAASSE!!!!"

GoHuge
05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Bowe should be accountable to his teammates for this, not the fans and certainly not a bunch of douche bags who happened to get a press cred so now they think they're ****in Woodward and Bernstein.Who and who? :)

Easy 6
05-25-2010, 09:51 PM

Exactly.

He'd melt down like a candle under that kind of pressure & end up saying something even worse. I dont think he's really bright or verbally gifted enough to come out of it looking good & the brass must feel the same.

Have a few beers & relax Blabb...

Mr. Kotter
05-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Babb...is an idiot. :shake:

BIG K
05-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Exactly.

He'd melt down like a candle under that kind of pressure & end up saying something even worse. I dont think he's really bright or verbally gifted enough to come out of it looking good & the brass must feel the same.

Have a few beers & relax Blabb...

I kind of thought Bowe's lack of intelligent speaking was established the day they drafted him, and reinforced the last couple of years. Hopefully, during this last debacle, the Chiefs have pulled him aside and told him not to speak, ever, and to just produce on the field...

Chief Chief
05-25-2010, 10:00 PM
DBowe will have to face the media sooner or later. "Ya can run but ya cain't hide!"

Mr. Kotter
05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
DBowe will have to face the media sooner or later. "Ya can run but ya cain't hide!"

I know, I know.... I've got a GREAT idea:

Let's force one of our young but talented players who might help resurrect the francise....into making an ill-advised and clumsy public "apology" for something he should have never disclosed in the first place! Yeah....fugg yeah!

That's a GREAT friggin' idea!!!

Micjones
05-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Yes Kent, it's so unfair to Jamaal Charles and Chris Chambers that you keep asking them TO speculate on behalf of Bowe.

Seriously...
Let the HC handle the matter internally. He's addressed it and has opted not to allow the situation to be an even bigger distraction during the early part of his off-season program.

One can only imagine why they wouldn't want Bowe talking to the media after this incident.
ROFL

Build a bridge...and get over it.

chiefschargersmnf
05-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Is it that big of a story that this is what they ask other players about? Why not ask Charles about things that pertain to him and his position, not asking him to speculate about what a teammate said?

yeah reporters are (for the most part) useless and even more so in may when they are gonna blow anything and everything out of proportion.

i agree this is a story but it even made the top stories here in canada! or maybe i was drunk and forgot i was watching nfl network lol