PDA

View Full Version : Poop New York/New Jersey to host Super Bowl in 2014

Chiefs Pantalones
05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Fuck. Freaking overrated city. Who the hell plays a Super Bowl in the cold?!

Bane
05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Hmmmmm.:hmmm:

Tiger's Fan
05-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Bout time they started playing football in the elements again.

Domes are for pussies and homos.

CrazyPhuD
05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
LOL epic fail........

Bane
Bout time they started playing football in the elements again.

Domes are for pussies and homos.

:thumb:

OnTheWarpath15
I'm hoping a cold weather city plays a warm weather city and destroys them in sub zero temperatures.

Pablo
I don't care. I'm fine with an outdoor SB.

Better than the same tired Tampa/Miami/Dome route.

KC Dan
05-25-2010, 02:29 PM
But, if there is a blizzard during that week and the Chiefs are in THAT super bowl, will you go?

Bane
05-25-2010, 02:29 PM
But, if there is a blizzard during that week and the Chiefs are in THAT super bowl, will you go?

ROFL
Hell yeah!!!!

OnTheWarpath15
05-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Sure, I'm already setting aside the $10K plus I'll need for tickets and the room rate at a Super 8 off the turnpike.

KC Dan
05-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Sure, I'm already setting aside the $10K plus I'll need for tickets and the room rate at a Super 8 off the turnpike.You & me both. Just wanted to inject the real important question to the thread.

OnTheWarpath15
05-25-2010, 02:33 PM
A little help from the East Coasters:

Of the large "super bowl caliber" cities, are any of the other stadiums harder to get in and out of from the "city" than the Meadowlands, with the exception of NE?

Bugeater
05-25-2010, 02:33 PM
I hope a nor'easter rolls through and dumps 18" of snow there two days before the game.

Frazod
05-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I hope it's 10 below with 50 mile per hour winds and three feet of snow. Let's see how the Beautiful People deal with that.

RP_McMurphy
05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Bout time and it should have been Green Bay. Tired of the whiny sports reporters and others who spend the whole Super Bowl week b!tching cause they didn't get enough ice cubes in their drinks.

OnTheWarpath15
05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
You & me both. Just wanted to inject the real important question to the thread.

Dude, if I'm willing to sit in sub-zero temps to see a 2 win team - with Tyler fucking Thigpen at QB - play a regular season game against the fucking Dolphins - then I'm willing to fight the logistical nightmare that this game will be.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
lol with our luck we'll be in that Super Bowl and we'll lose because of the weather.

talastan
05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Great we're back to all weather SB games!! When is it coming to KC?

Bugeater
05-25-2010, 02:39 PM
It's not going to, this is just a one time exception for NYC.

Param
05-25-2010, 02:40 PM

never

Param
05-25-2010, 02:42 PM
I hope a nor'easter rolls through and dumps 18" of snow there two days before the game.

And the day of, and the day of the game.

I think it's stupid to give NYC a super bowl if they're not going to give it to Chicago, Seattle, Washington, Boston, etc.

blaise
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Maybe if KC just puts that giant garage door opener thing over Arrowhead it'll come to KC

KC Dan
05-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Maybe if KC just puts that giant garage door opener thing over Arrowhead it'll come to KCNah, where would all the beautiful people stay - Holiday Inn, Adam's Mark?

The Poz
05-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Hypocrites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl
"On March 5, 2006, Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri, a "cold weather" city, was awarded the rights to host Super Bowl XLIX in 2015. However, the game was contingent on the successful passage of two sales taxes in Jackson County, Missouri on April 4, 2006. The first tax would have funded improvements to Arrowhead, home of the Chiefs and neighboring Kauffman Stadium, home of the Kansas City Royals Major League Baseball team. The second tax would have allowed the construction of a "rolling roof" between the two stadiums.[18] However, the second tax failed to pass. With increased opposition by local business leaders and politicians, Kansas City eventually withdrew its request to host the game by May 25, 2006.[19] Before that, Super Bowl XLIV, slated for February 7, 2010, was withdrawn from New York City's proposed West Side Stadium, also to have been a retractable roof facility, because the city, state, and proposed tenants New York Jets could not agree on funding. The game was then awarded to Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida. Despite not having a retractable roof, the Meadowlands Stadium was chosen for Super Bowl XLVIII in 2014, in an apparent waiver of the usual warm-climate rule."

Frazod
05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Nah, where would all the beautiful people stay - Holiday Inn, Adam's Mark?

Motel 6. Tom Bodette will leave the light on for 'em. :D

blaise
05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
It smacks of some sort of kickback for building the new stadium

Frazod
05-25-2010, 03:02 PM
It smacks of some sort of kickback for building the new stadium

In New Jersey? Not a chance.

ROFL

OnTheWarpath15
05-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Hypocrites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl
"On March 5, 2006, Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri, a "cold weather" city, was awarded the rights to host Super Bowl XLIX in 2015. However, the game was contingent on the successful passage of two sales taxes in Jackson County, Missouri on April 4, 2006. The first tax would have funded improvements to Arrowhead, home of the Chiefs and neighboring Kauffman Stadium, home of the Kansas City Royals Major League Baseball team. The second tax would have allowed the construction of a "rolling roof" between the two stadiums.[18] However, the second tax failed to pass. With increased opposition by local business leaders and politicians, Kansas City eventually withdrew its request to host the game by May 25, 2006.[19] Before that, Super Bowl XLIV, slated for February 7, 2010, was withdrawn from New York City's proposed West Side Stadium, also to have been a retractable roof facility, because the city, state, and proposed tenants New York Jets could not agree on funding. The game was then awarded to Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida. Despite not having a retractable roof, the Meadowlands Stadium was chosen for Super Bowl XLVIII in 2014, in an apparent waiver of the usual warm-climate rule."

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the accommodations that NYC has to offer compared to KC.

Kinda like getting the MNF game. It came with a price tag - a 9:15 local start.

There are very few cities that are less accommodating for a Super Bowl than KC.

Basileus777
05-25-2010, 03:03 PM
A little help from the East Coasters:

Of the large "super bowl caliber" cities, are any of the other stadiums harder to get in and out of from the "city" than the Meadowlands, with the exception of NE?

It's fairly easy to get to NYC (Penn Station) from the Meadowlands via the rail-line they've built.

KCUnited
05-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Maybe if KC just puts that giant garage door opener thing over Arrowhead it'll come to KC
We got to roof the Lil K first. Priorities.

InChiefsHeaven
05-25-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm sure a freezing ass cold blizzard game will do really well on TV.

This is stupid. All the shitty weather is what the playoffs are for. I don't want the fuggin SB delayed because the city is socked in with a blizzard.

...stupid idea. I hope it's a totally shitty day, freezing rain and snow, 30 below windchills...guaranteed they never do that shit again.

OnTheWarpath15
05-25-2010, 03:11 PM
It's fairly easy to get to NYC (Penn Station) from the Meadowlands via the rail-line they've built.

Just out of curiosity, how long would it take to get 100k people out there and back?

And that's not counting the normal traffic on that line.

Again, I've never been there - I'm just asking, because it sounds like a logistical nightmare - heading back and forth from the city to the Meadowlands.

-King-
05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the accommodations that NYC has to offer compared to KC.

Kinda like getting the MNF game. It came with a price tag - a 9:15 local start.

There are very few cities that are less accommodating for a Super Bowl than KC.

Exactly. NY is one of the few cold weather places that can have a superbowl because they have many other attractions, great hotels, and other things KC just doesn't have.

Terribilis
05-25-2010, 03:17 PM
You guys arent considering the global warming angle. It could be quite balmy there in four years ;)

RJ
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
I ♥ NY.

DaneMcCloud
05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, how long would it take to get 100k people out there and back?

And that's not counting the normal traffic on that line.

Again, I've never been there - I'm just asking, because it sounds like a logistical nightmare - heading back and forth from the city to the Meadowlands.

Last time I went to Meadowlands was in 2008. We stayed at the W at 47th & Broadway. We took the bus and it took about an hour or so to get there. Getting back took nearly twice that long.

noa
05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't know why you guys are wishing for bad weather. KC is going to be playing in that Super Bowl.

Mr. Laz
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
bbbbbu buuutt but you can't play the super bowl in the cold weather!!!

hypocrites :cuss:

Brock
05-25-2010, 03:30 PM

Why wouldn't it? It's FOOTBALL.

Pablo
05-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Why wouldn't it? It's FOOTBALL.Any and everyone that's a real football fan will tune in regardless of who's playing/where they're playing/what the weather's like. I've watched every SB I've been able to; even when I could really give an absolute shit less who was playing. Most guys I know that might catch one or two games a year still make a point to watch the SB. It's a cultural experience; it's a party. It doesn't really matter where it's played.

The old ladies and 12 year old girls will wait for halftime to wait the Black Eyed Peas as usual.

OnTheWarpath15
05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Seems there are some butthurt folks that don't understand, and keep throwing the word "hypocrite" around.

The rolling roof was nothing more than a concession to make up for the lack of activities, hotels, infrastructure, etc.

There's no was in hell that the NFL was going to bring a Super Bowl here, make their corporate sponsors sit through a game in potential poor weather conditions AND spread them out all over town at the handful of decent hotels in the city - The Rafael, InterContinental, Westin Crown Center, Hotel Philips, etc.

Try telling one of the NFL's biggest corporate sponsors he's spending the week at the Embassy Suites at Westport. Or the Drury Inn and fucking Suites.

Where would the teams practice? Where's the media center?

KC just isn't set up for a SB. Neither is STL, GB, etc. And until Jacksonville gets their hotel issues resolved, the league isn't going back there either.

Get over it.

Frazod
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Any and everyone that's a real football fan will tune in regardless of who's playing/where they're playing/what the weather's like. I've watched every SB I've been able to; even when I could really give an absolute shit less who was playing. Most guys I know that might catch one or two games a year still make a point to watch the SB. It's a cultural experience; it's a party. It doesn't really matter where it's played.

The old ladies and 12 year old girls will wait for halftime to wait the Black Eyed Peas as usual.

The Super Bowl is more about money than anything else. There's so much bullshit around the game itself that I can hardly stand it. It was stolen from the true fans long ago. If you're not one of the super rich, you're supposed to stay home, watch the game on TV and drink whatever shitty pisswater beer is the Official Shitty Pisswater Beer of the NFL at the moment.

I watched the last one because I really wanted the Saints to win, but if it's the Patriots and Giants, I'd just as soon catch up on my Tivo'd TV shows or play Fallout 3. I'm under no obligation to watch two teams I can't stand/don't give a shit about in the Super Bowl, any more than I am to watch a nasty-assed World Series between the Yankmees and Philadelphia.

OnTheWarpath15
05-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Any and everyone that's a real football fan will tune in regardless of who's playing/where they're playing/what the weather's like. I've watched every SB I've been able to; even when I could really give an absolute shit less who was playing. Most guys I know that might catch one or two games a year still make a point to watch the SB. It's a cultural experience; it's a party. It doesn't really matter where it's played.

THIS.

It does, however, matter to the league, who is spending a week entertaining their clients and showcasing their event.

-King-
05-25-2010, 03:50 PM
People have to remember that superbowl weekend basically has little to do with the game. If it had only to do with the game, the league would have no problem with letting us host the game.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
05-25-2010, 04:08 PM

This is stupid. All the shitty weather is what the playoffs are for. I don't want the fuggin SB delayed because the city is socked in with a blizzard.

...stupid idea. I hope it's a totally shitty day, freezing rain and snow, 30 below windchills...guaranteed they never do that shit again.

How many times the last 20 years has any game been delayed because of snow? It rarely ever happens.

I've been hoping for this for years and I hope New York puts on one hell of a show to prove that it can be done. Sorry, but the only reason the SUper Bowl is held in warm conditions is to appease the fans. Nevermind that it gives a pretty nice advantage to a passing team as opposed to a team that is built for the conditions and plays terrific defense with a hard-nosed running game.

Param
05-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Seems there are some butthurt folks that don't understand, and keep throwing the word "hypocrite" around.

The rolling roof was nothing more than a concession to make up for the lack of activities, hotels, infrastructure, etc.

There's no was in hell that the NFL was going to bring a Super Bowl here, make their corporate sponsors sit through a game in potential poor weather conditions AND spread them out all over town at the handful of decent hotels in the city - The Rafael, InterContinental, Westin Crown Center, Hotel Philips, etc.

Try telling one of the NFL's biggest corporate sponsors he's spending the week at the Embassy Suites at Westport. Or the Drury Inn and fucking Suites.

Where would the teams practice? Where's the media center?

KC just isn't set up for a SB. Neither is STL, GB, etc. And until Jacksonville gets their hotel issues resolved, the league isn't going back there either.

Get over it.

Well then why not the other cold cities that can host the super bowl? Maybe they will in time, but I doubt it. What is wrong with Chicago? To me this is just a setup to get the game to London.

Spott
05-25-2010, 04:18 PM
It's about time. The Super Bowl should be played in real football weather like the rest of the season is.

OnTheWarpath15
05-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Well then why not the other cold cities that can host the super bowl? Maybe they will in time, but I doubt it. What is wrong with Chicago? To me this is just a setup to get the game to London.

According to the league, this was a one-time exception.

If that was to change, I could see almost every cold weather city in the league getting a chance before KC - with the exception of GB -because they'd literally have to ship people in from Milwaukee.

It all comes down to having a plethora of luxury accommodations within a reasonable distance to the venue, plus have the venues available for radio row, the NFL Experience, plus have great entertainment and dining options.

KC doesn't have any of those - at least not to the expectations of the NFL and their corporate sponsors.

Thig Lyfe
05-25-2010, 04:40 PM
It's about time. The Super Bowl should be played in real football weather like the rest of the season is.

THIS!

Mojo Jojo
05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Here are the facts.....
NY has 4 airports...KC 1
NY has a lot of hotel rooms....KC Super Bowl Bid had hotels in Topeka to cover the minimum required by the NFL. Remember Jacksonville brought in cruise ships to cover the hotel rooms.
NY has Broadway and convention space for sponsors, media, players and team execs. KC has Power and Light, Bartle Hall and the Sprint Center.

Finally...local market only gets about 10% of the tickets. It is all about sponsors, media, 32 teams players & execs.

footballguy84
06-16-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm excited about it being in the cold for a change!

JD10367
06-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I despise NYC and both of their teams. But I don't begrudge them a SB. Few cities can compete with their options for hotel and convention space, entertInment, and transportation.

Param
06-16-2010, 09:49 PM
I despise NYC and both of their teams. But I don't begrudge them a SB. Few cities can compete with their options for hotel and convention space, entertInment, and transportation.

I just wonder how they cannot put a roof on that thing after spending all that money. Plus you can use the stadium for other events.