PDA

View Full Version : Misc What do you make of this spam?

jAZ
05-26-2010, 11:03 AM
This is a strange email I just got. Anyone see anything like this before? It looks like phishing, but in context (my business is to be a resource to connect people looking to partner on technology ventures and research) it's not unusual.

However this is supposedly from Iran.

Hello,

I am (name) from Iran. (born : 1960)
There is a very simple idea for continious motion of rocket,without combustion.
For testing we need two or more magnetic field and an electric strong power supply inside the rocket.
For production of magnetic field we need super conductor and maybe a strong magnet and technical equipment.
I have not advanced equipment here and I can not rely anybody.

Thank you
(full name)

Donger
05-26-2010, 11:07 AM
This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...

Phobia
05-26-2010, 11:07 AM
You should probably send him some money.

chiefsnorth
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
It's legit. Send him your life savings. Make sure you use Western Union.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser
05-26-2010, 11:27 AM
You should send some depleted Uranium rods with the magnetic super conductors he's asking for. What could it hurt?

seclark
05-26-2010, 11:29 AM
it appears your junk mail filter isn't working very well.
sec

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Give me his address, when I'm through sending him stuff he'll wish they never invented the internet !

gblowfish
05-26-2010, 11:46 AM
All this guy needs is the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator, and he's home free!

jAZ
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
My first reaction was that this was phishing for $$. But I actually think this might be a very serious request. In context, I think it's an email written knowing what our organization does. It's not some email blast sent to 1,000,000 people.

If it's a real request, it seems like something that should be reported to someone.

Bowser
05-26-2010, 12:35 PM
My first reaction was that this was phishing for $$. But I actually think this might be a very serious request. In context, I think it's an email written knowing what our organization does. It's not some email blast sent to 1,000,000 people.

If it's a real request, it seems like something that should be reported to someone.Then do it. Chances are it's just bullshit, but why not report it.

Maybe you're being tested to see if you actually DO report it.

Donger
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM

If it's a real request, it seems like something that should be reported to someone.

I don't even know who you would report it to. State Department? Commerce? That being said, it'd be cool to see a rocket that doesn't use combustion.

jAZ
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
I don't even know who you would report it to. State Department? Commerce? That being said, it'd be cool to see a rocket that doesn't use combustion.

I sent it to someone I know at our US Commerce trade office. We'll see what he has to say.

Bane
05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
:spock:

DaFace
05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Did you really just censor the name of a spammer?

Sofa King
05-26-2010, 12:56 PM

i think that was a smart move...it could be someone here....

Simply Red
05-26-2010, 01:01 PM

hmm, I think that that's how he received it - seems to be a spammer's template, of sorts.

88TG88
05-26-2010, 01:14 PM
snitches get stitches

jAZ
05-26-2010, 01:18 PM
:spock:

ROFL

jAZ
05-26-2010, 01:19 PM

I'm operating under the assumption this is not a spammer exactly.

jAZ
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
hmm, I think that that's how he received it - seems to be a spammer's template, of sorts.

heh, no. :)

Rain Man
05-26-2010, 01:26 PM
I actually think it's serious. even the most stupid spammer would have a better hook than 'i'm an iranian trying to build a rocket'. other than maybe a flaming aids rocket, it couldn't be a worse hook.

your qustion now is to figure out whether he wants help exploring space, blowing up nutjobinijad, or flying a nuke to tel aviv.
Posted via Mobile Device

RippedmyFlesh
05-26-2010, 09:02 PM
This makes the nigerian email stuff seem like kindergarden.
Not only do we want your money we want to blow up shit when we get it.

or

just harvesting some email addy's.
If a million people agree with you and respond..
a million live email addys...can be of substantial value to some

ClevelandBronco
05-26-2010, 09:50 PM
When I get SPAMŽ I make a hearty breakfast casserole.

jAZ
06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
So I forwarded it to a contact I have at the DoC and they forwarded it internally and got this note back:

I got below email from (my contact). He forwarded an email to me from IRAN. Please process in method you feel is best, as email from IRAN most likely went to many locations in USA.
(my contact), thanks for your follow-up and an issue that may help protect our National Security; please advise (my name) that his concern is very much appreciated and right on target. You may want to suggest he look at our regulations, especially Part 746 and OFAC web site concerning IRAN and Part 744 on END USE of items.

I'm guessing this is the last I'll hear about this issue, so I thought I would close the loop for anyone who cared about this thread.

Sofa King
06-01-2010, 09:43 AM
So I forwarded it to a contact I have at the DoC and they forwarded it internally and got this note back:

I got below email from (my contact). He forwarded an email to me from IRAN. Please process in method you feel is best, as email from IRAN most likely went to many locations in USA.
(my contact), thanks for your follow-up and an issue that may help protect our National Security; please advise (my name) that his concern is very much appreciated and right on target. You may want to suggest he look at our regulations, especially Part 746 and OFAC web site concerning IRAN and Part 744 on END USE of items.

I'm guessing this is the last I'll hear about this issue, so I thought I would close the loop for anyone who cared about this thread.

this actually made me confused more than anything...

jAZ
06-01-2010, 12:17 PM
this actually made me confused more than anything...

I forwarded the email to someone I know who knows who in the Department of Commerce to send it to.

My contact got a note back telling him to let me know that they were thankful to get the information, that the DoC people think it's likely part of a wider Iranian effort to secure missile technology from the US. And that I might want to read more about Iranian export regulations.

Not much of interest, other than confirmation that it probably wasn't random spam but a real effort to secure missile technology.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-01-2010, 03:34 PM
I forwarded the email to someone I know who knows who in the Department of Commerce to send it to.

My contact got a note back telling him to let me know that they were thankful to get the information, that the DoC people think it's likely part of a wider Iranian effort to secure missile technology from the US. And that I might want to read more about Iranian export regulations.

Not much of interest, other than confirmation that it probably wasn't random spam but a real effort to secure missile technology.

The DOD needs to help you respond to them and do a little spy work.

AustinChief
06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
You could print it out and make a hat.. or a brooch or a pterodactyl

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qaXvFT_UyI8&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=130"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qaXvFT_UyI8&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=130" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>